Fake fruit in China leaves sour taste for Aussie growers

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Fake fruit in China leaves sour taste for Aussie growers

Chinese counterfeiters have diversified from fake designer handbags to fruit, trying to pass off Chinese grown produce as Australian.

Citrus Australia says the fraudsters are trying to cash in on high prices and rapidly growing demand, with about 18,000 tonnes of mandarins and oranges exported to China last year.

Andrew Harty from Citrus Australia said spelling mistakes on labels and out-of-season availability make the falsified fruit stand out from the genuine article.

"What is particularly alarming to us is where we see fruit that has been dipped in a dye and we know these dyes are quite toxic," he told Radio National Breakfast.

"The colour is incredibly artificial, so it will be this glowingly deep orangey red colour."

Mr Harty said another common sign of the counterfeits is that they often only dye the top layer of fruit in a box.

The counterfeit fruit is being sold at wholesale markets in China and also in other Asian markets.

Mr Harty said China is a lucrative market, and Australian exports have grown rapidly over recent years.

"Because we've got product that's got a reputation for being sweet, safe and healthy, and also because that's in high demand in China and attracts very high prices there, obviously it's something of value that's worth faking," he added.
Fake fruit in China leaves sour taste for Aussie growers - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
It now appears that after copycatting industrial and commercial white goods, the Chinese are copying fruits also; and as usual not up to the standard as the real McCoy.

And they are so unscrupulous that they don't care about ruining the health of those who eat their fruits and have no qualms to dye the fruits with toxic products.

That is why I always caution that one should never buy Chinese food products. They are DANGEROUS.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It now appears that after copycatting industrial and commercial white goods, the Chinese are copying fruits also; and as usual not up to the standard as the real McCoy.

And they are so unscrupulous that they don't care about ruining the health of those who eat their fruits and have no qualms to dye the fruits with toxic products.

That is why I always caution that one should never buy Chinese food products. They are DANGEROUS.
Any reason such news come only out of China. The other day I was watching some documentary where difference between traditional noodle soup and a fake soup was being demonstrated.

Traditional original soup takes about a full night to make and the fake one can be made in matter of minutes. The fake one tastes similar to original one but has a lot of elements considered very dangerous are included.

Not only this but you see in various other market segments that Chinese play fast and loose with rules and regulations. Obviously these type of mentality develops over time, but I wonder how these type of psyche comes about.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@ezsasa

Please post that video/ documentary.

I love noodle and now I am scared.

Last edited by a moderator:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
@ezsasa

Couldn't find it, will look again after I get to my laptop.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Sambha ka Boss

@ezsasa

Have you seen the videos, how they make fake cabbage. Apart from there there is also fake eggs and using cardboard as a fake meat filling in dumping. :toilet:

Prometheus

Guys its not just China .... food adulteration happens in mostly all countries, including India and even developed countries like the US and UK ( although their food adulteration is more hi-tech). I would suggest closing this thread and topic, as it just makes people paranoid and suspicious and doesn't really offer any solutions.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Guys its not just China .... food adulteration happens in mostly all countries, including India and even developed countries like the US and UK ( although their food adulteration is more hi-tech). I would suggest closing this thread and topic, as it just makes people paranoid and suspicious and doesn't really offer any solutions.
That is true.

However, the adulteration in China is highly detriment to health. Baby food was a big scandal.

They are cheap and so people in India go for it in a big way, especially those market with fake labels of foreign brands.

Hence, it is important for Indians to know the dangers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles