Shahid Afridi Speaks at ICC WT20 2010 press conference

Clarke talks to the media:

Last edited by a moderator:

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
Dhoni may go as T20, ODI captain

http://t20wc.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/5928250.cms

KOLKATA: He's had a six-year honeymoon since his international debut in 2004, been hailed as 'Captain Cool' and led India to the inaugural T20 World Cup title and the No 1 ranking in Tests. But Mahendra Singh Dhoni may be about to suffer the first major setback of his career.

With India failing to win a single Super 8 match in two straight T20 World Cups, there is talk of replacing Dhoni with Virender Sehwag as captain in both one-dayers and T20.

It is possible that India will have a new captain as early as next month when the selectors name the squad for Asia Cup in Sri Lanka. While Sehwag seems the front-runner for the top job, Dhoni will continue to lead the team in Tests, where India is No 1 in ICC rankings. There is apparently a section within the BCCI, which wants Dhoni to be retained even as ODI and T20 skipper due to his track-record, but the selectors seem to be ready to seek a change of guard.

The series of "blunders" by Dhoni in team selection, batting order and tactics are likely to be held against him. His blaming of late-night IPL parties has also not gone down well with the powers that be.

MS Dhoni, who has an imperious track track record as captain, may be about to pay the price for two successive failures in the World T20 tournament.

In fact, some insiders say that the change of guard is aimed at achieving two objectives — one, signalling the BCCI's deep displeasure with Dhoni for speaking "out of turn", and two, deflecting attention from the BCCI which can't be absolved of blame for its failure to prepare the team.

What's making it easier for the administrators to seriously think of axing Dhoni is his below-average form. His tendency to frequently promote himself in the batting order has apparently led to murmurs amongst batsmen who find themselves being constantly shunted up and down the order.

Those claiming to know the selectors' also point out 'shortcomings' like Dhoni's inability these days to come up with his trademark big hits. They cite the crunch match against Sri Lanka in which Dhoni walked in with Gambhir and Raina having provided a perfect platform, but failed to provide impetus. Worse, someone like Yusuf Pathan, who could have taken on the Lankan spinners, got just a few balls to face.

It's a moot point whether any other captain could have fared any better. And Virender Sehwag's own captaincy record isn't exactly awe-inspiring. In fact, Sehwag has even given up the captaincy of Delhi Daredevils, saying he prefers to enjoy the game and concentrate on his batting. Clearly, there are many more dramatic episodes ahead in the soap opera that is Indian cricket.

gb009

Australia just won a semi-final that belonged to Pakistan for 90% of the match. Those who missed today's match missed one of the best T20 matches ever!!! I must add, though Pakistan lost they, showed they can challenge, something not many other countries have done.

I saw the women's match India Vs Australia yesterday. Must say though we lost our gals were good in the fields, better than the mens team I should say, they just din't have the power to hit those bit shots.

Last edited:

Oracle

Australia Vs England Finals cheered me up. Hail the Queen!!!

bhramos

Country flag
Three reasons why India failed

So India go out again, having delivered a box-office dud. It will lead to much breast-beating and ranting, a demonstration or two will begin somewhere, and doubtless, television cameras will be there. But beyond providing an outlet for our frustration, allowing for catharsis, all that will achieve little. Those who call for the heads of our cricketers are among those who bow deferentially at the first opportunity. Currently we are armed with hindsight, that greatest of all selectors. It bestows on us great wisdom and sagacity but delivers no results.

I'm afraid India weren't good enough. Sometimes that is difficult to accept, but that is indeed the truth. A different batsman might have been picked, another spinner might have made his way here, but there was no Bradman or Sobers left behind. Yes, there was a Tendulkar but that chapter is already part of history. It could be argued that those picked were men of great skill, but that is an ally that only fights a quarter of a war at best. Beyond that, attitude is the weapon to possess, and whether or not that weapon was rusty is a question that must be asked and answered dispassionately.

So why were India not good enough? Among many reasons three stand out.

The new ball, in the hands of India's bowlers, made no statement. It wasn't the first serve, as it should have been. It was merely a formality that had to be achieved for a game to start, just a pawn that was pushed forward with little intent. The new ball on flat pitches and on grounds with short boundaries is like a toy for a pampered child to toss around, but here it had fangs. India's openers were shown them, the opposition weren't. It is a serious issue. New-ball bowlers have to be cultivated and nurtured so that they grow into handsome trees; they cannot, at the first sight of a storm, wither away.

India's fielding stood out. Like a radio might, or like my old phone does. It was like a retro movie. When it comes to fielding or athleticism, India make an occasional concession to modernity, flirt with the latest and slip back towards the old and the comfortable. When Australia took the field, I thought more than once that their hockey players had arrived. They were smooth, they glided around and made what might otherwise have been a three a two. Great catches arrived with the frequency of a politician's quotes. It was beautiful to watch but I do not think our young cricketers are watching. They demand the latest sometimes but they do not demonstrate it.

India's fielding stood out. Like a radio might, or like my old phone does. When it comes to fielding or athleticism, India make an occasional concession to modernity, flirt with the latest and slip back towards the old and the comfortable

Once India's finest, Yuvraj stood at mid-on, the abode of the tired fast bowler and the slow-moving spinner. At long-on and fine leg, the limbs had to be cranked to start. It was painful because of what should have been. He is a cricketer who is richly blessed, and a period of humble introspection might just be the right prescription. The turn he took a kilometre ago was the wrong one.

And India could not play the rising ball. Few enjoy it but everyone has to live with it. The modern game led some people towards thinking that they could ignore it, but here in the West Indies, as last year in England, has come the realisation that even in Twenty20 cricket you can be found out. Even very accomplished cricketers like Gautam Gambhir looked out of sorts. He looked tired as the ball came at him with ferocity. And Suresh Raina, the brightest of India's young cricketers, has to come up with a solution.

Not one of these three shortcomings was unknown, and it would be easy to blame the system and the coaches for it. Teachers don't write exams, students do, and eventually they must figure it out themselves, and so we must return to attitude. There is no point blaming the pitches and the bowlers in domestic cricket for the inability to play short-pitched bowling. Gavaskar emerged from the same school, as did Tendulkar, Dravid and even Laxman. Abhinav Bindra and Saina Nehwal are products of such a system. Azharuddin emerged as one of the world's finest fielders. Greatness lies in rising beyond the system. It isn't the system, therefore, but work ethic that lies at the heart of success. I'm not saying India's cricketers don't possess it, it's just that they don't display it often enough.

From here on, India's young cricketers need to ask themselves whether they want to be rich also-rans or want a place in history. It is a choice they must make. Currently they are not good enough, but pelting abuse, and the odd stone, at them will not solve the issue, only point fingers at ourselves.

Harsha Bhogle is a commentator, television presenter and writer

Feeds: Harsha Bhogle

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/459511.html

bhramos

Country flag
Send Indian team to NCA - Gavaskar

Sunil Gavaskar has come down hard on India's shortcomings against the short ball during the World Twenty20 in the West Indies, suggesting they train at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore to rectify their difficulties. For the second time in succession, India bowed out of a World Twenty20 without registering a win in a single Super Eights game, making it six such losses in a row since England last year.

India won both their group games but lost to Australia, West Indies and Sri Lanka in the second stage. Besides their difficulties in tackling bouncers - a weakness exploited by their opponents - India were ordinary in terms of their fielding and running between the wickets.

"The guys who have been found to be uncomfortable against the short ball should be sent to the NCA, where they will be able to practice against the short ball, either through a bowling machine or maybe with some of the younger bowlers bowling to them from say 18 to 16 yards," Gavaskar told the news channel CNN-IBN. "They are under contract with the BCCI so nobody can actually claim that they need a break they don't need a break if they haven't performed, they need to go to the NCA and hone their skills against the short ball."

Several other former India players criticized the team's performance, saying it was not adequately prepared to succeed in a tournament where the quality of cricket was considerably higher than the IPL. MS Dhoni, the captain, said the constant traveling associated with the IPL and it's after parties took a toll on the body.

There was just a five-day gap between the IPL final and the start of the World Twenty20, giving the players barely enough rest, but Gavaskar, a member of the IPL's governing council, didn't blame the IPL for India's performance.

"If that was the case then Sri Lanka would not have been in the semi-final, or England and Australia. A lot of Australian players were in the IPL so I don't think that is an issue at all," he said. "It's just the fact that T20 is a format where you have got to be good on the day and if you are not good on your day, you lose. I don't think much should be read into the fact that the players were playing IPL, if anything playing in the IPL meant that they had lot more practice than the other teams."

Former players like Madan Lal and Mohammad Azharuddin felt Dhoni was making excuses by referring to the IPL parties and Gavaskar concurred. "I don't think that is an excuse at all. I think that is a very poor excuse used by people to say that IPL parties were the reason for the team not performing here. Tell me one thing, there were no parties here were they? So how can you say that the team performed badly in the Caribbean because of parties in India?"

Continuing on the fall-out of India's exit, Gavaskar chose not to comment on coach Gary Kirsten's alleged statement that he was fitter than some of the team members, saying he would rather wait for Kirsten to communicate his thoughts officially to the BCCI. However, Gavaskar threw his weight behind Dhoni, with the Indian media speculating on his future as captain of India in the limited-overs formats.

"MS Dhoni has done the best that he could. I still think he is the best bet as far as captaining the country is concerned. He has not quite had the luck he had when he had started with the India captaincy."

http://www.cricinfo.com/world-twenty20-2010/content/story/459638.html

bhramos

Country flag
Kirsten questions fitness and commitment

Gary Kirsten, India's coach, has come down hard on some of the Indian players' "fitness and commitment" after his side failed to win a single game in the Super Eights of the World Twenty20, a repeat performance from last year.

Before addressing the team and handing them a dressing-down in the West Indies, Kirsten had a one-on-one interaction with senior players - MS Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh, Gautam Gambhir, Harbhajan Singh, Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra. Team sources said that Kirsten told the group he was angry to see that even he - a 42-year-old - was fitter than some of the players. Yuvraj and Rohit Sharma got special mention with regards to fitness, the sources said. Kirsten demanded better fitness from the players and gave them one month to show results on that front.

Kirsten also said in the meeting that the players seemed content with the No. 1 ranking in Tests and the No. 2 in ODIs, and were not committed to the team cause in the World Twenty20. It is worth noting that only four of the 15 players present there are sure starters in Test matches: Dhoni, Gambhir, Harbhajan and Zaheer.

While it is not the first time that a coach has lashed out at a team, the timing and the harshness of this dressing-down suggest the severity of the problem, especially coming from a man usually content with the back seat. India's early exit from the World Twenty20, their third such effort in last three global events, has drawn harsh criticism from various quarters, but this coming from the coach is the most damning of all. After last year's debacle too, Kirsten had raised similar fitness and intensity questions. He had blamed IPL fatigue then.

His plea bore little result this year. After a six-week-long IPL, India got a five-day break before their first match in the world Twenty20. Yuvraj, coming back from a wrist injury, played all 14 of Kings XI Punjab's matches. Zaheer sat out of two of India's five matches in the World Twenty20. Zaheer, Gambhir and Nehra missed matches at various stages of the IPL, and Nehra was picked for India even before he had returned to full fitness for Delhi Daredevils.

http://www.cricinfo.com/world-twenty20-2010/content/story/459543.html

bhramos

Country flag
Tendulkar defends Indian team

Sachin Tendulkar has defended the Indian team following their early exit from the World Twenty20 after losing three straight games in the Super Eights stage. He called on fans to retain their faith in Indian players, a significant number of whom had been a part of the team that won the inaugural World Twenty20 in South Africa in 2007.

"There will be ups and downs but you just have to have your faith in players because the same lot got us the World Cup," Tendulkar told reporters in Chandigarh. "We should not forget that we are still the number one team in the world.

"The players have been training hard. They know and understand their responsibilities. Sometimes thing clicks, sometimes not."

One of the reasons suggested for India's disappointing performance has been the possible effect of the IPL, but Tendulkar said the league had its advantages. "I mean there are both advantages and disadvantages and it depends on how you see it. From my point of view, I think IPL gives opportunities to out-of-form players to return to form," he said.

"In IPL, we Mumbai Indians played so well but in the final things didn't work out for us. So it can happen to anyone. All I can say is that the players need support so that they can start fresh again and look to deliver better results.

"I know it's disappointing but it has not happened for the first time and it would not be the last time either. The game has its uncertainties. We have to see how we can do better."

Tendulkar's comments came on the same day that coach Gary Kirsten was severely critical of some of the players "fitness and commitment" at the World Twenty20.

Zaki

Country flag
I guess Sachin is right...... win and lose is a part of the game..... Just relax - Indian team got plenty of talent - i am also disappointed with their performances but still they got plenty of players who will continue bringing smiles on the faces of indian fans

Ups n downs are part of the game i am sure they will bounce back and i pray they continue defeating Aussies at least

bhramos

Country flag
In India cricket is not just a game, but a religion, if they loose they will face it...........

Zaki

Country flag
In India cricket is not just a game, but a religion, if they loose they will face it...........
After First innings of 191 by Pakistan......... i was speaking to my dad and he was very happy........ and then he said i will call you again after the match

And when we lost the match my brother called me saying my dad is crying i have not/rarely seen him crying in my life but this was such a moment when he cried today. It happens

I have one neighbour in Pakistan whose father had an heart attack after we lost a match in (i think) 1992 World Cup. He died there on the spot............... Just because he was too emotional that he had an heart attack an died

You can understand how we take Cricket in Pakistan - It is their second religion......not mine :).............. so you can expect the reaction of Pakistani public today

But still i believe despite the fact both nations couldn't qualify for the finals........... both teams are talented and got plenty of players who can win matches on any given day. Ups n downs are part of the game - soon you will find Indians back in the game with more passion never seen before....... for me Bowling is the weakest part in indian team and they seriously need to work on it

BunBunCake

Pakistan 191/6 (20/20 ov)
Australia 197/7 (19.5/20 ov)
Australia won by 3 wickets (with 1 ball remaining)

Impressive score by Pakistan today (especially on Aussie bowlers)
It's too bad they lost :p

Shahid Afridi needs a beating, just like Jadeja.
Who doesn't agree?

Zaki

Country flag
Pakistan 191/6 (20/20 ov)
Australia 197/7 (19.5/20 ov)
Australia won by 3 wickets (with 1 ball remaining)

Impressive score by Pakistan today (especially on Aussie bowlers)
It's too bad they lost :p

Shahid Afridi needs a beating, just like Jadeja.
Who doesn't agree?
I don't.............. thats because in reality Australia deserved to qualify for Finals........... and we were trying to steal their chance........... thats how i see but anything is possible on the given day

and after posting 191 runs it was 90% ours but at the same time i said even if we lost this match it would be a respactable game in the end........... any team wouldn't mind losing such a match - in reality it is a win of CRICKET.......... both teams played better than another and the one who played better won the match.

Its as simple as that - both of them played really well and i am happy to see Pakistan losing after giving a tough time to Australia and not by pressing the self destruction button as always and getting out cheaply

BunBunCake

I don't.............. thats because in reality Australia deserved to qualify for Finals........... and we were trying to steal their chance........... thats how i see but anything is possible on the given day
I don't understand what you mean by Australia "deserved" it and Pakistan was trying to "steal" their chance.
Care to explain why the Pakistan team doesn't deserve this?

@Also, Pakistan might've done well, but the only thing that made Pakistan lose in my opinion is AFRIDI. He's terrible. Everyone thought he'd be hitting some sixes in this tournament, but he was a big disappointment in ALL matches. Not one did he do well in this world cup.

Well played, Australia once again proved it's the best team in the world.

plugwater

It would be an exciting final. Hope England break their Major Tournament Virginity.

Zaki

Country flag
I don't understand what you mean by Australia "deserved" it and Pakistan was trying to "steal" their chance.
Care to explain why the Pakistan team doesn't deserve this?

@Also, Pakistan might've done well, but the only thing that made Pakistan lose in my opinion is AFRIDI. He's terrible. Everyone thought he'd be hitting some sixes in this tournament, but he was a big disappointment in ALL matches. Not one did he do well in this world cup.

Well played, Australia once again proved it's the best team in the world.
Australia deserved because they were the most hard working team in the tournament. They outclassed all so-called World Champions of the tournament including defending Champions Pakistan, former defending champion India, Last Year's runner up Sri Lanka and last year's team reached in the semi final's West Indies. They were simply outstanding and they deserved to go into the finals after defeating all major teams in the Group and Super 8 matches.

The most interesting fact was that they destroyed almost all major teams with big margin and that clearly shows how prepared they were throughout the tournament. Pakistan had a short cut after defeating South Africa and qualifying for the Semi Finals. In reality they deserved more as they were working from the day one of the tournament. I am happy to see Pakistan losing like that as 191 before was the match was totally unpredictable and making 53 runs in the last 16 balls for Australia is nothing less than a miracle in such a tensed situation. Both teams went closer to each other in each and every single over. Overall it was a win to this game of cricket and not to one respective team only.

Realistically speaking there is no one to be blamed for this match. All performed great - both teams were equally brilliant and the only difference is Hussey who made 60 runs from just 24 balls..................

Agantrope

Absolute beauty by the Hussey and White. It is bad to see Ajmal choke in the semis whereas he played superbly in the finals. Hussey is the only difference between Australia and Victory. Now i want to see Australia biting the dust against the England.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Pakistan played well in the match yesterday, better than any match so farr.

I think they can go out with their head high.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles