Dhanush the Indian Bofors

ladder

Country flag
Their are not many report on National defense industry progress, sooner or later we will know when Dhanush appears in military parades or exercise or in Government report ..

Rudras are not at full squadron strength, Their are 5-7 of these now operational and are stationed at Army bases ..
In March, 2013 the Government has placed an Indent with an indicative cost of Rs.1261.44 crore on Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) for procurement of 155-MM artillery guns. The guns are at trials stage. Induction into the Army is based on successful trials.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar in a written reply to Shri Prahlad Singh Patel in Lok Sabha today.
Artillery Gun | Business Standard News

Bangalibaba

Country flag
Dhanush MK1 under Army Trials ..

Kunal, if I'm not wrong, Tata Defence has also built a new Artillery Gun. Will there be a faceoff between DHanush and Tata Howitzer? In your view which one is better? :shocked::shocked:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
TATA`s Artillery is a truck mounted version and it is longer and powerful than Dhanush, Where as Dhanush is towed Artillery and little shorter but longer than Bofors FH-77 in Indian Army ..

Both are of different category, Hence their usage over battlefield and formations, So they cannot be compared ..

Kunal, if I'm not wrong, Tata Defence has also built a new Artillery Gun. Will there be a faceoff between DHanush and Tata Howitzer? In your view which one is better? :shocked::shocked:

uoftotaku

Country flag
Hope this system gets put into mass production. Better late than never! The D-30's were obsolete 20 years ago, high time our boys got the firepower they need

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I believe you meant M46 not D30 ..

Hope this system gets put into mass production. Better late than never! The D-30's were obsolete 20 years ago, high time our boys got the firepower they need

uoftotaku

Country flag
I believe you meant M46 not D30 ..
IIRC the IA is still using the 122 mm D-30 towed howitzer in substantial numbers. The M-46 130mm is also used but that (being "recent", available in large numbers, reliable and still produced) is not such a high priority for replacement. The D-30's however are 60's vintage and seriously need to be chucked. The caliber also does not provide sufficient range or firepower for the modern battlefield. In my mind the Dhanush should replace the D-30's, M-46 and original FH-77 in that chronological order. That will give at last some consistency for logistics and give the IA universal 155mm artillery coverage.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
D30 only packs 2% of Indian Light Arty, The backbone of Light Guns are OFB 105mm light Guns which are better than D30 & Which are irreplaceable due to their size and flexibility in mountain terrain ..

M46 on other hand is the backbone of medium gun in Artillery, Dhanush are replacing these aging guns also supplementing older FH-77 which will also go through upgrade ..

IIRC the IA is still using the 122 mm D-30 towed howitzer in substantial numbers. The M-46 130mm is also used but that (being "recent", available in large numbers, reliable and still produced) is not such a high priority for replacement.

uoftotaku

Country flag
D30 only packs 2% of Indian Light Arty, The backbone of Light Guns are OFB 105mm light Guns which are better than D30 & Which are irreplaceable due to their size and flexibility in mountain terrain ..

M46 on other hand is the backbone of medium gun in Artillery, Dhanush are replacing these aging guns also supplementing older FH-77 which will also go through upgrade ..
Oooh..thanks for the info...I was always under the impression that the 105mm had already been retired. If indeed complete replacement of M-46 is sought, then Dhanush will surely be mass produced as thousands of pieces will need to be replaced. Bodes well for the industry if they can keep their act together.

Hari Sud

Country flag
How many finally, 114 or 400.

What about 155/52 towed artillery gun. How many Indian Army gets when this gun is ready.

What about Indian made artillery Shell Tracking radar. The US supplied radar has been sitting without spares either as deliberate act or instringence of US not to see them operational in India, hence spares supply has been stopped.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
@Hari Sud

Sir, I think as of now that means before completing the Trails Army orders 114 guns, if reports were correct Army already have 14 last year, 50 this year, 100 next year

Army's requirement is about 414 45cal Guns. Dhanush is the same Bofers but 39 cal and 45 is the difference, OFB gets blueprints of Bofers earlier thus the Dhanush came

I think we have another tender is also ongoing that's the 52 cal guns, this deal would be Indian Private players partners with foreign systems and make the gun in India, but the status is unknown as of now

@Twinblade is the only man who is very happy about the OFB Gun :truestory:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag

Finally expecting production in mass ..
Nice .... finally...

Are we expecting some more trials? Or has army requested any changes? will they be incorporated?

How many finally, 114 or 400.

What about 155/52 towed artillery gun. How many Indian Army gets when this gun is ready.

What about Indian made artillery Shell Tracking radar. The US supplied radar has been sitting without spares either as deliberate act or instringence of US not to see them operational in India, hence spares supply has been stopped.
as of now order is for 114 though 400+ guns are required so we will be seeing more on order

@Hari Sud

Sir, I think as of now that means before completing the Trails Army orders 114 guns, if reports were correct Army already have 14 last year, 50 this year, 100 next year

Army's requirement is about 414 45cal Guns. Dhanush is the same Bofers but 39 cal and 45 is the difference, OFB gets blueprints of Bofers earlier thus the Dhanush came

I think we have another tender is also ongoing that's the 52 cal guns, this deal would be Indian Private players partners with foreign systems and make the gun in India, but the status is unknown as of now

@Twinblade is the only man who is very happy about the OFB Gun :truestory:
Just to say I am also happy that Dhanush has finally been cleared.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If the DM said trails were successful, I am assuming now is production ...

Illusive

Country flag
What about Bhim self propelled howitzer, and is Dhanush going to be mounted on Tatra.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Thanks guys for clarifications.

Thank you SajeevJino and Pulkit.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
If the DM said trails were successful, I am assuming now is production ...
Order size is still low ... need to get more of these.
What worries me is 114 initial order to be delivered in 3 years .
That make it 30-35 per year that appears to be low. we will be needing close to 400 + that too as early as possible.

Thanks guys for clarifications.

Thank you SajeevJino and Pulkit.
:)

sgarg

@Pulkit, I think the production will be stepped up in yearly increments, it is not uniform. The OFB works in a different manner compared PSUs. The GOI does not have to disclose the indents. So the actual number in the indents will not be known unless GOI publishes it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles