Cricket : Sachin scores 50 th Test Centuary Barrier

leonblack08

Respected Member
Tamim buries Zimbabwe hope

Star Online Report
A splendid innings of 154 runs from opener Tamim Iqbal made it easy for Tigers to chase down Zimbabwe's 312 on their way to clinch the title of Grameenphone Cup series in the fourth ODI at the Queen's Sports Club ground in Bulawayo today.

Tigers reached the peak with two overs and four wickets to spare.

Both Tamim Iqbal and Zimbabwe's Charles Coventry were named men of the match.

Tigers race to the ground to grab the stumps, they paced their chase superbly but spare a thought for Charles Coventry who booked his name in the record books with a marvelous, unbeaten 194 earlier in the day.

Earlier, Coventry’s aggressive innings took Zimbabwe to a huge total of 312 for eight wickets.

Coventry, who now shares the record of highest individual ODI score with Pakistan's Sayeed Anwar, faced only 156 balls and hit 16 boundaries and seven maximums. The Zimbabwean batsman was dropped twice.

Team:

Bangladesh: Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Mohammad Ashraful, Raqibul Hasan, Shakib Al Hasan*, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Naeem Islam, Mahbubul Alam, Syed Rasel, Enamul Haque jnr.

Zimbabwe: Mark Vermeulen, Hamilton Masakadza, Malcolm Waller, Brendan Taylor (wk), Stuart Matsikenyeri, Sean Williams, Elton Chigumbura, Charles Coventry, Prosper Utseya (capt), Ray Price, Tawanda Mupariwa.

The Daily Star - Details News

leonblack08

Respected Member
Poor Charles Coventry.First he missed his double hundred and then his team lost.Man,he batted like a monster.

But Tamim had the end laugh with his 154.They both were declared man of the match. :D

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
Tamim iqbal.....i knew he was a great prospect,after our first match in the 2007wc.....good job tigers!

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
Sehwag may leave Delhi for Haryana​

NEW DELHI: Indian opener Virender Sehwag has threatened to quit the Delhi Ranji team, alleging interference in selection matters by the DDCA Sports Committee members. Sehwag was unhappy with the rampant corruption in the DDCA and in the selection process of the Delhi team. "I am trying to leave Delhi and play for Haryana. I spoke to the Delhi District and Cricket Association (DDCA) president, Mr. Arun Jaitley, and he has asked me to discuss the issue with him and then take a decision. If I am not satisfied with the outcome of our meeting, I will surely leave Delhi," Sehwag was quoted in a private news channel.

"There is too much interference and manipulation from the sports committee in selection committees. The sports committee has got too much power. There is more interference at the under-16 and under-19 levels than the Ranji Trophy. In a squad of 15, for instance, the sports committee tries to influence the selectors and slip in one or two of 'their own' boys," added the hard-hitting batsman. Sehwag has already applied for a No-Objection Certificate to move to another state team and will meet with DDCA (Delhi and District Cricket Association) president Arun Jaitely soon. "So, if I am not satisfied with the result of the meeting with Mr Jaitley, I will leave whether or not DDCA gives me the no objection certificate (NOC). There is a rule that if a player's parent association harasses a player and doesn't give him the NOC, the Board of Control for Cricket in India can do so," Sehwag told the news channel.

The DDCA's Sports Secretary Sunil Dev said he has not received any communication from Sehwag nor has he approached him for a No Objection Certificate to play for some other state. But a top DDCA source said Sehwag's threat to quit was just a "pressure tactic" to bring in a couple of his players in the Ranji squad. "He wants to bring Mayank Tehlan and Pradeep Sangwan into the team. But since the Delhi team is well set, it is not possible. That is the reason why he is making such threats," the source said.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

DDCA selection row: Gambhir, Ishant, Nehra join Sehwag​

NEW DELHI: Indian opener Gautam Gambhir has come out in full support of Virender Sehwag and said he might also leave Delhi Ranji team, if the situation doesn't change. Gautam Gambhir supported Virender Sehwag’s allegation on the Delhi District and Cricket Association (DDCA) and praised his opening partner's move. “I am absolutely behind Sehwag. There should be transparency in the selection process and if the situation remains same, I wouldn't hesitate switching to a different state," said the flamboyant left-hander.

Meanwhile, other Delhi players are also backing Sehwag’s decision. According to sources, Ashish Nehra and Ishant Sharma have also supported Sehwag as he threatened to leave for Haryana. On Monday, Indian opener Virender Sehwag has threatened to quit the Delhi Ranji team, alleging interference in selection matters by the DDCA Sports Committee members. Sehwag was unhappy with the rampant corruption in the DDCA and in the selection process of the Delhi team.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Broad ushers in England hope of regaining Ashes​

London: Fast bowler Stuart Broad inspired a remarkable England performance by taking five for 37 on the second day of the fifth Ashes Test against Australia at the Oval on Friday. Fifteen wickets tumbled on a hectic day which finished with England 58 for three in their second innings, a lead of 230 runs, after Australia had collapsed to 160 all out. Broad recorded his third five-wicket haul in a Test while Graeme Swann captured four for 38 at the other end after the visitors had reached 73 for no wicket.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Scrap Champions Trophy; disqualify B’desh, Zim from Tests: Hayden​

Brisbane: Former Australian opener Matthew Hayden, on Saturday, suggested scrapping of the Champions Trophy besides urging the game’s governing body to create a two-month window for the IPL. The above mentioned actions, he feels, would help revive spectator interest in the game. "Playing the World Twenty20 every other year is too much," Hayden feels. “Why have the Champions Trophy when you`ve already got a 50-over World Cup?" Hayden also felt that five ODI matches were enough for any bi-lateral series. England and Australia are scheduled to play seven ODIs against Australia at the end of the Ashes.

He also said the 50 and 20 over World Cups should be played in the same cycle. Hayden, who represents Chennai Super Kings in the IPL, said reiterated the need for a special window for the IPL. No international cricket should be played during the proposed two-month window of the IPL, which according to him had brought the game to a ‘tipping point’.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Magical Moments​

Kumble bowls with a broken jaw

The sight of Anil Kumble emerging from the pavilion, ready to bowl, his face bandaged, in the Antigua Test of 2002, is one of cricket's most inspiring.

Kumble sent down 14 consecutive overs and became the first bowler to dismiss Brian Lara while bowling with a broken jaw. He was due to fly back to Bangalore the following day for surgery, and as he said, "At least I can now go home with the thought that I tried my best.

"It was one of the bravest things I've seen on the field of play," said Viv Richards later.

Courtsey : Cricinfo

NSG_Blackcats

Continue..

Chennai applauds Pakistan
It was heartbreak for India, but the crowd at the Chidambaram Stadium saw it differently

Every once in a while, there are moments in sport that transcend the action on the field and yet help establish the very essence of sport by carrying it beyond the confines of nationalism, and indeed victory and defeat. By all standards the first Test of the 1998-99 series between India and Pakistan was going to be remembered as a classic even without the final touch.

Courtsey :- Cricinfo

NSG_Blackcats

Continue..

The ball of the century
Pitch outside leg, take off stump, easy as pie

Steven Lynch "As a legspinner, of much more modest pretensions, it was with special interest that I watched Shane Warne's first ball in a Test against England. He was bowling to Mike Gatting, the former England captain and a batsman famous for his ability against spin. There was a certain amount of field adjustment between Warne and Allan Border, his captain - long enough for onlookers to prepare themselves for this much-heralded blond bloke's first delivery in an Ashes Test."

Courtesy :- cricinfo

YouTube - Shane Warne's Ball Of The Century!

NSG_Blackcats

Continue..

Rhodes takes five
Not a bird, not a plane, it's Jonty on fire

A wicketkeeper might be lucky enough to receive three or four "regulation" catches in the course of an innings, but any more than that will inevitably include a couple of classic grabs. For an outfielder to take five catches in an innings involves a skill so special, it remains a unique record almost a decade and a half after Jonty Rhodes set it.

Courtsey :- Cricinfo

NSG_Blackcats

Dravid foresees Test no. 1 spot changing hands more often​

LONDON: The one-team domination in Test cricket has ended with Australia's decline, feels veteran Indian batsman Rahul Dravid, who foresees the number one spot changing hands every few months between India, Sri Lanka and South Africa. "I don't think you'll see one team dominating like Australia did, at least not in the immediate future," Dravid said. "There are three or four teams that are evenly matched and you could see the number one spot change hands a few times in the next couple of years," the 36-year-old, who makes a comeback to the Indian One-day side after two years, added.

Asked whether India would also face the transitional crisis that the Australians are battling once the likes of Sachin Tendulkar retire, Dravid said it would boil down to how well the Indian pace bowling attack shapes up. "We've got a great blend of experienced cricketers, and promising talent coming through. We've done really well over the past couple of years and if we can keep a core group of fast bowlers fit enough to support the spinners then we have as good a chance as anyone," he told 'The Guardian'. "When Australia dominated, it was the bowling of (Glenn) McGrath and (Shane) Warne that was the key and I believe that England won Ashes series because they had the more balanced bowling attack. We certainly have that balance, and so do Sri Lanka and South Africa. I think the bowling strength will determine which team gets to top," he added.

On his assessment of the Ashes that England won 2-1, Dravid said the series never looked one-sided and could have gone either way. "I always expected it to be close, and it was. But England won the moments that mattered, and over the course of the five Tests, I'd say that they just about edged it," he said.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

ICC, Pakistan reach agreement on World Cup 2011​

DUBAI: The International Cricket Council and the Pakistan Cricket Board on Thursday amicably resolved the dispute over staging of the 2011 World Cup matches in the strife-torn country, clearing the way for the smooth hosting of the elite event in the sub-continent. As per the agreement, to be signed soon, the PCB will retain its host fees and also receive an additional payment as reasonable compensation for loss of hosting rights that it would have enjoyed had it hosted the matches on Pakistan soil. The PCB, on its part, has agreed to withdraw its legal proceedings against the ICC. The resolution was reached during a meeting between ICC President David Morgan and PCB Chairman Ejaz Butt. According to the agreement between the PCB and commercial arm of the world governing body "the PCB would be free of its liabilities and obligations associated with hosting matches during the tournament, including the location of the tournament secretariat which had originally been set for Lahore."

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Gary Kirsten to remain Team India coach

Mumbai: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided to extend coach Gary Kirsten’s contract till the 2011 World Cup. According to reports, the BCCI is satisfied with the way that Kirsten has performed his job and is keen on giving him more time to continue the good work. Kirsten’s contract will be ratified on September 24th.

Link

Pintu

AFP: Indian board terminates key IPL contract: report

Indian board terminates key IPL contract: report

(AFP) – 7 hours ago

NEW DELHI — The Indian cricket board has terminated its contract with the sports management company that helped it launch the money-spinning Indian Premier League, local media reported Sunday.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) sent a letter informing IMG (International Management Group) of the decision last week, the Times of India said.

The BCCI had entered into a preliminary agreement with IMG in 2008 to promote and manage IPL's affairs. IMG was to be paid 10 percent of the tournament's gross revenue as commission.

The BCCI's letter said its working committee felt the "amount that was asked by IMG was disproportionate to services rendered."

The working committee objected to IMG being paid nearly 10 million dollars for the inaugural edition of the IPL in 2008, but still used the company for the second edition of the tournament that was staged in South Africa this year.

Discussions for redrafting the contract had failed, the Times said.

Pintu

http://www.ptinews.com/news/255702_BCCI-severs-ties-with-IPL-event-mgmt-company

BCCI severs ties with IPL event mgmt company

STAFF WRITER 12:21 HRS IST

New Delhi, Aug 30 (PTI) The Indian Cricket Board has cancelled its contract with event management company IMG World, which played a significant role in the success of the first two editions of the cash-rich Indian Premier League.

The decision to snap ties was taken after the BCCI Working Committee refused to approve the terms and conditions of the contract.

BCCI secretary N Srinivasan, who negotiated the agreement with IMG senior vice-president Andrew Wildblood, conveyed the board's decision to the company in a letter.

Srinivasan said in the letter that BCCI primarily engaged the company for the first edition of the IPL for an amount of Rs 42.92 crore after which the board's Working Committee refused to approve the terms and conditions of the contract.

NSG_Blackcats

Pakistan want to play WC matches in Sri Lanka if not in India​

KARACHI: Pakistan would prefer to play their 2011 World Cup matches in Sri Lanka if their team is not allowed to play in India due to strained relations between the sub-continental neighbours. According to sources, Pakistan Cricket Board Chairman Ejaz Butt had indicated it to the ICC President David Morgan in their recent meeting in Dubai. India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh are the three joint hosts of the World Cup as ICC and PCB have resolved their dispute over hosting of matches in Pakistan. Relations between India and Pakistan hit a low after the terror attacks in Mumbai last November which led to suspension of bilateral cricket ties. "The PCB believes the test case for the World Cup will come when the IPL-III will be held in March-April next year," one source said. "If the Pakistan government allows its cricketers to play in the IPL then we should not have any problems sending our team to India for the World Cup matches," the source said.

Link

NSG_Blackcats

Ponting retires from Twenty20 internationals​

SYDNEY: Australia captain Ricky Ponting has quit Twenty20 international cricket in a bid to prolong his career in the Test and limited-overs format. The 34-year-old Ponting skipped two T20 internationals in England to return home following Australia's Ashes Test series loss to England last month. He made his announcement about T20 cricket on Monday, ahead of his return flight to England for the end of the seven-match ODI series which Australia leads 2-0. "The last 10 or 12 days for me have been a lot about reflection, looking back to the Ashes and looking forward to my playing future," said Ponting, Australia's leading runscorer in Test and one-day cricket. "As of today I've decided to retire from international Twenty20 cricket. The decision I've made is all to do with my longevity in the game."

Link

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles