China Wants to Investigate IBM, Oracle and EMC for Security Concerns

amoy

China Wants to Investigate IBM, Oracle and EMC for Security Concerns - Arik Hesseldahl - News - AllThingsD

(Update: We have received some information that part of this report might be inaccurate. We are doing further reporting on the subject and will post more as soon as we get more information.)

A branch of the Chinese government said it will investigate three large U.S.-based technology firms over what it calls "security concerns."
If it seems like the kind of moment where certain chickens are coming home to roost, it's no accident. You'll probably recall all the official hand-wringing over the China-owned networking equipment giant Huawei. Congressional committees and the Obama administration have expressed worries that Huawei's gear hasn't been approved for use by certain government agencies because they might be used by the Chinese government to spy on those agencies.

The numerous security reviews of Huawei never proved much, but they never definitively answered the question, either. Huawei has steadfastly maintained that its equipment is secure and can be trusted, and that it isn't a pawn of its government.

For its part, China said it is going to investigate three American companies: IBM, the computing and services giant; EMC, the storage equipment company; and Oracle, the world's leading business-software concern.

The reason official Washington was so concerned about Huawei is because official Washington was fully aware of what its own spy agencies are capable of. The spies at the NSA and CIA can't help but turn deep technical knowledge of American-made technical hardware into tools of their trade.

It was the CIA and Israeli intelligence that created the Stuxnet worm to attack the Iranian nuclear research program, and other worms followed and preceded it, all taking advantage of Microsoft's Windows.

Now the Snowden affair, involving a former NSA contractor who downloaded and released documents showing numerous classified collection programs that targeted many countries — including China. As the Washington Post reported in June, an internal review of Edward Snowden's disclosures expressed significant worry that they might compromise "sources and methods" used to spy on China.

As one former intelligence office quoted in the Post's story put it: "It's not in the interests of the United States for the Chinese to know exactly how we do it."

Clearly, China's curiosity is piqued. U.S. tech companies doing business with the Chinese government can probably expect more security reviews like this in the coming months.

------------------------
Will Cisco be the next?

dealwithit

Re: China Wants to Investigate IBM, Oracle and EMC for Security Concer

both countries are masters in Spying.. One in software & other in Hardware.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Aah! China adopting the Paki policy of idiotic tit-for-tat responses!

Who said China/Paki deeper, sweeter, higher relationship is not mutually beneficial?

Step 1: Cause harm
Step 2: Cry foul in face of retaliation
Step 3: Deny Step 1, make issue out of Step 2, and counter retaliate

ice berg

Aah! China adopting the Paki policy of idiotic tit-for-tat responses!

Who said China/Paki deeper, sweeter, higher relationship is not mutually beneficial?

Step 1: Cause harm
Step 2: Cry foul in face of retaliation
Step 3: Deny Step 1, make issue out of Step 2, and counter retaliate
I think you are the most affected one here. Been the first one to bring up Pakistan in a thread about chinese/US espionage.
Forgot your pills today?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

I think you are the most affected one here. Been the first one to bring up Pakistan in a thread about chinese/US espionage.
Forgot your pills today?
There are things other than LSD which shows patterns, you know! Like, logic, reason... etc.

ice berg

There are things other than LSD which shows patterns, you know! Like, logic, reason... etc.
And your obsession with Pakistan in a thread about US/China trade wars will be....?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Obsession? Its pure observation!

And your hyperactive defence mechanism is...?

And your obsession with Pakistan in a thread about US/China trade wars will be....?

ice berg

Obsession? Its pure observation!

And your hyperactive defence mechanism is...?
Trying to stay on topic? How many posts of yours in this thread got anything to do with the topic?
I could use pm next time I guess.

no smoking

Country flag

both countries are masters in Spying.. One in software & other in Hardware.
I would say both are great on software and hardware. But of course, USA is just 2 decades ahead.

t_co

Trying to stay on topic? How many posts of yours in this thread got anything to do with the topic?
I could use pm next time I guess.
:lol: ice berg? More like ice burn....

On topic: This is going to be pretty fun. Eager to see where this investigation goes.

dealwithit

I would say both are great on software and hardware. But of course, USA is just 2 decades ahead.
I feel china is like mercury.. you will not know... Last year in Visakhapatnam military base. there was unusual activity. when went deep ... they found small code in pen drive.

which is uploading the data to particular server. When investigated all the pen drives which are imported from china have same malicious codes which are in ROM storage. Can't be formatted normally

dealwithit

I feel china is like mercury.. you will not know... Last year in Visakhapatnam military base. there was unusual activity. when went deep ... they found small code in pen drive.

which is uploading the data to particular server. When investigated all the pen drives which are imported from china have same malicious codes which are in ROM storage. Can't be formatted normally

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

There is no doubt that America is using everything within its power to spy on everybody. Everybody is doing it (or at least would like to do it if they only have the resources of the US). Espionage is like MAD, it keeps the peace. But what is different with the case of China is State-operated spying on the industrial designs/secrets, products, manufacturing processes and technology of private companies for copying.

ice berg

There is no doubt that America is using everything within its power to spy on everybody. Everybody is doing it (or at least would like to do it if they only have the resources of the US). Espionage is like MAD, it keeps the peace. But what is different with the case of China is State-operated spying on the industrial designs/secrets, products, manufacturing processes and technology of private companies for copying.
How you know that US, Japan and other industrial power are not involved in the same way?

Here, let me help you:
Industrial espionage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This goes way way back.

The more you share, the more you know.

no smoking

Country flag

So, American is not state-operating spying? CIA is just a private club? NSA is something creathed by illusion?

Governments are always the major players in all these espionages!

no smoking

Country flag

Do you have any proof or just heresay?
First, how did these "Chinese-made" pan drivers end up in indian military base? Pan drivers are not some kind of products that india can't produce!
Second, how did these "Chinese-code" escapte the test of Indian intellegence department?
Third, how did Chinese know these pan drivers would be used by Indian military base? Each year, Chinese produces billions of pen drivers, if they do the same thing to every driver, they will be overwhelmed by the information uploaded.

dealwithit

Do you have any proof or just heresay?
First, how did these "Chinese-made" pan drivers end up in indian military base? Pan drivers are not some kind of products that india can't produce!
Second, how did these "Chinese-code" escapte the test of Indian intellegence department?
Third, how did Chinese know these pan drivers would be used by Indian military base? Each year, Chinese produces billions of pen drivers, if they do the same thing to every driver, they will be overwhelmed by the information uploaded.
Be my guest and please read this article
Armed forces further tightening cyber security, IT usage norms - Economic Times

I don't know why you are under-estimating china. My view of china mean copy. See anything good copy it first.
China hacked into Lot of US sites and ended up cracking all major news paper Servers.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles