China Military News & Updates

Jeypore

In light of how close the Chinese and Taiwanese economies have grown in the last decade, a Chinese invasion would amount to Beijing “shooting itself in the foot.” “China’s IT sector, in particular, could be devastated.” Never mind that the U.S. and Chinese economies are also irrevocably interdependent.
This is probably the most paradoxial statement, Chinese, taiwanese and US economies are becoming interlink, yet China spent majority of it's defense spending on possible invasions of Taiwane. What is paradoxial is if China is going to spent more becuase it is not fully capable of capturing Taiwane, yet, they would loose because there economy would be crushed. That is really funny. Owe what web we weave, in peaceful rise of China.

Country flag
this article must be in response to the funds that were rejected to some major programs in US airforce.

S

SammyCheung

In 2000, the influential think thank RAND Corporation crunched some numbers regarding a possible Chinese invasion of Taiwan, and concluded that “any near-term Chinese attempt to invade Taiwan would likely be a very bloody affair with a significant probability of failure” — especially if the U.S. raced to the island nation’s defense. But nine years later, a new, much-updated edition of the RAND study found that China’s improved air and missile forces “represent clear and impending dangers to the defense of Taiwan,” whether or not the U.S. is involved.
In 2000, while folks like RAND scoffed at China's military power, China was quickly building it up.

Now in 2009 the tables of turned, China is far too powerful to stop now.

This ladies and gentleman is a perfect example of Chinese "Art of War" strategy!

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
In 2000, while folks like RAND scoffed at China's military power, China was quickly building it up.

Now in 2009 the tables of turned, China is far too powerful to stop now.

This ladies and gentleman is a perfect example of Chinese "Art of War" strategy!
I suppose you meant the “tables have turned” I don’t see how, for unless China intends to completely destroy Taiwan - how do you propose to put Chinese boots on the ground?

……RAND admits that dogfighting can’t conquer an island. “Ultimately, there is only one military course of action that guarantees China control of Taiwan: a successful invasion and occupation.” An amphibious assault across the 200-mile-wide Taiwan Strait would represent “by far the most challenging military operation ever undertaken” by the Chinese. The entire Chinese navy could only carry 31,000 troops in the first wave — a number RAND admits would “almost certainly not” suffice, “assuming that Taiwan’s government, military, and populace chose to put up a fight.” It would take just one successful attack by Taiwan’s missile boats, or one day’s sorties by the island’s attack choppers, to incapacitate the whole Chinese assault fleet.

The author of the RAND report concedes numerical superiority – no real surprise. But what good is numerical superiority in the air when your first and subsequent waves of a mere 31,000 troops are slaughtered by entrenched forces.
Perhaps Sun Tzu has the answer; we’ll just have to wait for the sequel.

S

SammyCheung

The author of the RAND report concedes numerical superiority – no real surprise. But what good is numerical superiority in the air when your first and subsequent waves of a mere 31,000 troops are slaughtered by entrenched forces.
Perhaps Sun Tzu has the answer; we’ll just have to wait for the sequel.
I actually read the RAND report, and it simply doesn't cover amphibious landing. It doesn't say "China can do it" or "China can't do it."

But the fact is, the PLA is not stupid, and just like the problem of gaining air superiority, they solved the amphibious landing problem too. If and when there is a need to reveal a little bit more about China's capability here, they will do it.

But the most powerful move of all is this: Beijing has already successfully installed a pro-China party into government.... Taiwan has been won without a shot being fired!

Adux

Country flag
All these secret capabilities....my head turns....lols

p2prada

The biggest problem in East Asia is not Taiwan, but North Korea.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
but the fact is, the pla is not stupid, and just like the problem of gaining air superiority, they solved the amphibious landing problem too. If and when there is a need to reveal a little bit more about china's capability here, they will do it.
horse crappy!!

S

SammyCheung

horse crappy!!
Horse crappy if you're assuming a committed, unified "Taiwanese" military.

Not horse crappy if you see generals defecting. I'm sure you've studied the civil war.

Definitely not horse crappy if we're not talking about 2009, but 8 years down the road or so.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
They have NOT solved the problem of amphibious landing and air superiority. Hell, they have not even solved the problem of the approach. They've tried putting land based artillery on freighters and found out just what kind of joke that was.

And the PLAAF does not think air superiority. They think air denial.

I have not seen one RoCA officer defect in 30 years and there's 400,000+ plus RoCA soldiers who is more than willing to kill the 30,000 the PLA can land on Taiwan.

Don't try your crap with me. I know the TOE, doctrine, and the mission statements of both the CCP and the PLA. I was the one who came up with the detailed analysis of the War Zone Campaign. I was the one who 1st saw the move of the 2nd Artillery Force from nuclear to conventional and I was the 1st one who detailed the failure of the battalion-brigade-corps model and in fact, I stated that the PLA would move back from corps to group army within 2 years.

Unlike others here, you're dealing with a real PLA watcher.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Colonel,

As I have said always, don't underestimate the Chinese.

if it is horse crappy, how so?

I would not dismiss it just by that statement.

Chinese have improved their defence capabilities immensely and maybe we are not aware of it!

S

SammyCheung

I have not seen one RoCA officer defect in 30 years and there's 400,000+ plus RoCA soldiers who is more than willing to kill the 30,000 the PLA can land on Taiwan.
Sir, you make mistakes just like everybody else. ROC (from politicians to senior officers to conscripts) are extremely disunited if not demoralized. If we're talking about a PRC attack out of the blue yeah they would be much more united to defend their homeland. But if PRC has a causus belli (and we all know what that would be), many ROC forces would refuse to fully engage "the enemy."

Adux

Country flag
I might have to agree, that Taiwan may not posses the same internal Cohesiveness and fortitude as before when confronted with a CCP attack, all the while I can also say it is not as bad as all the chicoms are saying!

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Chinese have improved their defence capabilities immensely and maybe we are not aware of it!
Sir,

Vis-a-vi Taiwan, the question is and always has been that 100 miles of water. I've seen NO indications the PLA has tackle or even begun to think about that problem.

p2prada

Sir,

Vis-a-vi Taiwan, the question is and always has been that 100 miles of water. I've seen NO indications the PLA has tackle or even begun to think about that problem.
Sir, the allies managed to land a million troops over the English Channel. Do you think it cannot be replicated?

Even if you say Europe was closer, it does not take away the fact that this is 65+ years later, 300000 tons container ships.

Jeypore

I sought lethal military aid: Defense Minister

KATHMANDU, Aug 7: Nepal has formally asked India for resumption of lethal military aid that was already in the pipeline before an embargo was imposed in February, 2005.

“Since [the embargo in] 2005 Nepal has not received from India military aid that was already in the pipeline. I proposed to India in principle to resume the aid and India has replied positively,” said Defense Minister Bidhya Bhandari after returning from New Delhi Thursday. "But no agreement was signed in this connection", she said.

The military aid, which was stopped by India on February 21, 2005 to protest the anti-democratic move by King Gyanendra, includes both lethal and non-lethal, according to Bhandari. She, however, refused to give details, saying that as defense minister she should not reveal such things.

Bhandari´s request for lethal military aid is contrary to what Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal told parliament on July 28. Addressing parliament, Nepal had said concerning Bhandari´s visit to India that there was no agenda to procure arms from India. He further said the government would not bring in arms violating the Comprehensive Peace Agreement.

“I am extremely happy India has shown readiness to supply the aid as best it can and whenever Nepal wants it, for the peace and progress of the Nepali people,” Bhandari said in an interview to Republica at her official quarters at Pulchwok, Thursday evening.

She hinted that her proposal is likely to take final shape during Prime Minister Nepal´s visit to India from August 18.

“I hope my initial effort [to get the Indian military aid already in the pipeline] materializes during the prime minister´s visit. He must sign an agreement in that regard,” she said.

She said the Nepal Army (NA) is badly in need of supplies of both lethal and non-lethal hardware to ensure that it does not have to compromise training requirements.

“As defense minister I have to tell the people that the NA needs both lethal and non-lethal aid [for day to day activities],” Bhandari said, defending her request for the military aid.

Military sources told Republica recently that if NA is not supplied arms and ammunition immediately, it will shortly run out of the hardware needed for regular training of personnel.

Asked about a tentative timeframe for getting the arms she has sought from India, she said, “No timeframe has been worked out.”

MYREPUBLICA.com - News in Nepal: Fast, Full & Factual

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles