Cars & Bikes - Automotive Discussion Thread

Krusty

Country flag
You know my friend's sister bought a Toyota Corolla back in the day. She put 30k on it, then one day he casually asked her when she was taking it for a 30K service. She replied "what service" :laugh: Turns out she hadn't changed the oil after getting the car. And it ran fine.
I'll see your 30k and raise you....
Owner runs Audi for 84000 miles before an oil change. The engine actually ran for 84000 miles. And the owner was a moron.

http://jalopnik.com/what-happens-if-you-dont-change-the-oil-in-your-audi-fo-1692660828

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
hehe you posted an American car. How much range does that car have left after drag racing though :) And acceleration is half the fun, I love trying to beat my turbo 4 banger while reaching 0-60 and optimizing the shifts. What's the fun when you just press the "gas" pedal and reach 60. That car does not have a soul.
That soul has been included in EV through synchronous motors. BMW i3 has one.

captscooby81

Country flag
@Krusty @Project Dharma @Razor @aditya10r

Here is what i will say with my little knowledge working with Kraut brands ..If you ask me which car i would like to drive German or japanese if i can afford i will take the German s ..but this choice is purely depends on where i live in singapore i wont mind a German brand but in india i would stick to japanese or korean here are the reasons examples i will give
1.Audi Q5 3.0TDI 245 BHP car delivered to customer came back to workshop after two months with breakpad failure and bubble in tyre now when the issue was not solved at the dealership level and it was raised to Audi NSC we did little detailed study of the user pattern .This kid was son of a rich educationalist and he took the Q5 which is soft road SUV into a deep forest area and tried to do what people do with Mahidra Thar stuff ..When we invited him to our plant and gave him a trail car and sat with him for a minute we knew why his break pads failed with his rapid acceleration and freaking breaking in short distances ..
2.Audi A6 3.0TDI 245 BHP this car was used by Deputy CM of one the state in india the car was driven for 45k Kms before it came for Breakpad change or even Tire change ..Reason its the driver and his driving skills plus being a Dy CM car it had the privilege of driving non stop so the break pads worn out little late than the regular users ..

German cars are good for Technology demonstration purpose and may be good for the european driving conditions but yes they also extort huge money from the buyers a typical European colonial mentality to sell something at a super premium price just because its germans

The japanese had different requirement they don t give you the power or the thrills they may no nonsense simple cars which does the job which a car has to do ..Taking someone from Point A to Point B thats it they cant go crazy with their technologies like the German s do especially with the Diesel engine tech ..The japanese are still good only at petrol and below 3 litre engines only ..The low maintenance and the resale value which the japanese command over the germans make the japanese cars look Value for money ..but then whats the fun in driving a normal car when you have the money to shell and want some adrenaline punch into your mind

Another european brand which is known word wide for its safety features is Volvo and trust me in india it also suffers badly with everyday operational issues ...

Edit : American s make shit cars worse than the german s ..Ford,Chrysler,GM are good for nothing apart from being used as pick up trucks ..The reason why japanese and korean brands dominate US automobile market and not their local American brands ..

Krusty

Country flag

Here is what i will say with my little knowledge working with Kraut brands ..If you ask me which car i would like to drive German or japanese if i can afford i will take the German s ..but this choice is purely depends on where i live in singapore i wont mind a German brand but in india i would stick to japanese or korean here are the reasons examples i will give
1.Audi Q5 3.0TDI 245 BHP car delivered to customer came back to workshop after two months with breakpad failure and bubble in tyre now when the issue was not solved at the dealership level and it was raised to Audi NSC we did little detailed study of the user pattern .This kid was son of a rich educationalist and he took the Q5 which is soft road SUV into a deep forest area and tried to do what people do with Mahidra Thar stuff ..When we invited him to our plant and gave him a trail car and sat with him for a minute we knew why his break pads failed with his rapid acceleration and freaking breaking in short distances ..
2.Audi A6 3.0TDI 245 BHP this car was used by Deputy CM of one the state in india the car was driven for 45k Kms before it came for Breakpad change or even Tire change ..Reason its the driver and his driving skills plus being a Dy CM car it had the privilege of driving non stop so the break pads worn out little late than the regular users ..

German cars are good for Technology demonstration purpose and may be good for the european driving conditions but yes they also extort huge money from the buyers a typical European colonial mentality to sell something at a super premium price just because its germans

The japanese had different requirement they don t give you the power or the thrills they may no nonsense simple cars which does the job which a car has to do ..Taking someone from Point A to Point B thats it they cant go crazy with their technologies like the German s do especially with the Diesel engine tech ..The japanese are still good only at petrol and below 3 litre engines only ..The low maintenance and the resale value which the japanese command over the germans make the japanese cars look Value for money ..but then whats the fun in driving a normal car when you have the money to shell and want some adrenaline punch into your mind

Another european brand which is known word wide for its safety features is Volvo and trust me in india it also suffers badly with everyday operational issues ...

Edit : American s make shit cars worse than the german s ..Ford,Chrysler,GM are good for nothing apart from being used as pick up trucks ..The reason why japanese and korean brands dominate US automobile market and not their local American brands ..
So here rich people buy euro cars and without a care in the world give it to their kids to trash around. Japanese and American. 'normal' cars are bought and driven by the sensible no nonsense average citizen.

The problem is the target customer for these Brand’s are entirely different. The way they treat their cars is entirely different too. In the two examples that you quoted, it wasn't the cars fault. It was entirely that of the owners.

I read a couple of years ago that some rich guys kid in Switzerland hired some goons to set fire to his Ferrari f430 which his Father gifted him just because Ferrari had come out with the 458. I don't imagine your average ford or Toyota owners treating their cars like this.

captscooby81

Country flag
Well thats what i was trying to explain to our brothers that German s don t deliberately make shitty cars they try to excel in technology and push their limits like how they are using 6 litre diesel engines in few models moving from V8 to V12 or W12 engine models ..

Its the users and the land where it is used makes lot of difference ..For Audi the average service interval in Europe is 2 years or 30k Kms but in india we say bring the car to service for 1 year or 15k kms reasons are because of our climatic conditions and also the road conditions ..

Remember The German brands literally struggle in ME region Audi,BMW,Merc are now getting foothold in ME after the oil shakes are fed up driving the lexus..Reason the German cars have some serious trouble in handling those super hot sand dune conditions ..

We have all type of kids in india too ..There was one i know who crashed is R8 V8 model so that he can Lamborghini Gallardo ..

One father called a friend of mine secretly into his office and ordered RR Phantom as bday gift for his son ..but the son was dreaming of picking up Ferrari .. I had seen all kind of tamasha s of the India s super rich elites from political to industrial to the hero s of the filmistan when it come to use of their cars and abuse of it and then later do wolf cry about the product ....

So here rich people buy euro cars and without a care in the world give it to their kids to trash around. Japanese and American. 'normal' cars are bought and driven by the sensible no nonsense average citizen.

The problem is the target customer for these Brand’s are entirely different. The way they treat their cars is entirely different too. In the two examples that you quoted, it wasn't the cars fault. It was entirely that of the owners.

I read a couple of years ago that some rich guys kid in Switzerland hired some goons to set fire to his Ferrari f430 which his Father gifted him just because Ferrari had come out with the 458. I don't imagine your average ford or Toyota owners treating their cars like this.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag

I don't agree that Japanese don't make any fun to drive cars, I'll write a longer reply in the morning but here are some examples why this is wrong

Subaru WRX (I'm biased :) ) and STI
Mitsubishi EVO
Nissan 370Z
Honda Type R
Lexus ISF
Lexus LFA, Acura NSX, GTR

Offroad
Tacoma TRD Pro and Tundra
FJ Cruiser
Land Cruiser
Pajero

Then there are all the old classics like the Supra and Datsuns

As for American cars, again I don't agree. The Muscle cars used to be unreliable but now they have reached amazing levels of refinement so much so they can't be called muscle anymore. Ford makes decent passenger cars although I'll admit the other two are lagging here. For trucks, Americans can't be touched.

I'll admit that quality slipped due to unionization in the 90s and 2000s but now they are a force to reckon.

Dodge is making some sexy muscle cars like Demon, Camaro ZL1 is hot as heck and then Corvette is Corvette. They are in a league of their own with no competition from the krauts in this category of cars.

Krusty

Country flag
You know german Brand’s are being run by 'by the book' upstart managers when they try to compete in the pickup truck market. Seriously WTF

https://www.motor1.com/news/145840/2018-mercedes-x-class-spied/

once these increased sales volumes becomes the norm, the will then go after Tata Indica to increase sales. And then Tata nano later... seriously.. I was a fan. Now german Brand’s have lost its minds. What the hell are they even thinking? You know Brand’s are ready to sacrifice their brand image when they start making 'affordable models' for poor people. Now I wouldn't mind siding with Lexus (yes yes, in a hypothetical scenario where I could afford either). Now these Brand’s are going in the way of the iphone.

20 years ago.

'Hey I just got myself a merc' > ' holy crap dude that's awesome'

Now.

'Hey I just got myself a merc' > ' yeah so? Everyone and their Grandfather has one '

A to Z they will use every single alphabet. Already they have reached x. Quite soon they will run out of alphabets and start using AA class, AB class like an excel spreadsheet

captscooby81

Country flag
@Krusty @Project Dharma @Razor Look at the below Seba study report about 2030 being year of Electric vehicles

Petrol And Diesel Cars Will Vanish In 8 Years: Study

Stanford economist, Tony Seba, thinks that the global oil business will end as soon as 2030. In less than a decade consumers will find it difficult to search for petrol pumps, spares and even mechanics who have the knowledge of internal combustion engines.

There has been a lot of talk about fossil fuels going extinct and though there are companies like Shell who have demonstrated that the true potential of fuel based cars remains untapped, there's no denying that electric cars are going to have a significant impact on the way the transportation business will function.

A Stanford economist, Tony Seba, thinks that the global oil business will end as soon as 2030. In a study released recently, Tony talks about the revolutionary changes soon to be wrought by electrification of the transportation. The study published by Stanford University says that fossil-fueled cars will vanish within eight years and the people who want to buy cars will have no choice but to invest in electric vehicles or vehicles working on similar technologies. Tony says that this is because the cost of the electric vehicles; which includes cars, buses and even trucks will decrease and this will result in the collapse of the petroleum industry.

Electric cars is the future
Titled 'Rethinking Transportation 2020-2030', the study details how people will ultimately switch to autonomous electric vehicles, as they will eventually be ten times cheaper to maintain than cars that run on fossil fuels and have a near-zero marginal cost of fuel. He goes on to mention that electric vehicles will have a life span of 1 million (16,09,344 km) miles and in comparison, fossil fuel based cars have a lifespan of just about 2 lakh miles (3,21,000 km approximately)

He goes on to suggest that in less than a decade consumers will find it difficult to search for petrol pumps, spares and even mechanics who have the knowledge of internal combustion engines. Finally, he says that modern-day car dealerships will disappear by 2024 as the long-term price of oil falls to $25 USD a barrel. He even says that there will be a 'mass stranding' of existing vehicles.

According to Seba "We are on the cusp of one of the fastest, deepest, most consequential disruptions of transportation in history. Internal combustion engine vehicles will enter a vicious cycle of increasing costs. What the cost curve says is that by 2025 all new vehicles will be electric, all new buses, all new cars, all new tractors, all new vans, anything that moves on wheels will be electric, globally."

Mercedes-Benz and other manufacturers are working on autonomous electric cars
The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) has come a long way since 1910. But the biggest challenge now has been to control the air quality. Reduction of CO2 and NOx levels as also hydrocarbons has made engineers innovate and we, therefore, have engines today which are not only fuel efficient but also environment-friendly.

"Our research and modelling indicate that the $10 trillion annual revenues in the existing vehicle and oil supply chains will shrink dramatically. Certain high-cost countries, companies, and fields will see their oil production entirely wiped out. Exxon-Mobil, Shell and BP could see 40 per cent to 50 per cent of their assets become stranded," says Professor Sebastian in his report.

That's a big claim but not one without fact. We've already heard countries like Norway moving towards pushing out cars with an internal combustion engine in the next decade. In fact, India too is looking at introducing norms which will see phasing out petrol and diesel cars by 2032. It's simple to explain how quick this will happen with the example of Digital cameras. With the advent of digital cameras, the ones working on the film were phased out almost immediately. It was swift and brutal and we expect something similar to happen to cars.

Car companies like Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and even Volvo have already started working on autonomous technology and electric cars and probably the 'no internal combustion engine scenario' has been already envisaged by them. It, frankly, scares us a bit because we are after all petrolheads. As electric cars take centre stage, it looks like we might have to coin a new word for people like us as well.

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
@Krusty @Project Dharma @Razor Look at the below Seba study report about 2030 being year of Electric vehicles

Petrol And Diesel Cars Will Vanish In 8 Years: Study

Stanford economist, Tony Seba, thinks that the global oil business will end as soon as 2030. In less than a decade consumers will find it difficult to search for petrol pumps, spares and even mechanics who have the knowledge of internal combustion engines.

There has been a lot of talk about fossil fuels going extinct and though there are companies like Shell who have demonstrated that the true potential of fuel based cars remains untapped, there's no denying that electric cars are going to have a significant impact on the way the transportation business will function.

A Stanford economist, Tony Seba, thinks that the global oil business will end as soon as 2030. In a study released recently, Tony talks about the revolutionary changes soon to be wrought by electrification of the transportation. The study published by Stanford University says that fossil-fueled cars will vanish within eight years and the people who want to buy cars will have no choice but to invest in electric vehicles or vehicles working on similar technologies. Tony says that this is because the cost of the electric vehicles; which includes cars, buses and even trucks will decrease and this will result in the collapse of the petroleum industry.

Electric cars is the future
Titled 'Rethinking Transportation 2020-2030', the study details how people will ultimately switch to autonomous electric vehicles, as they will eventually be ten times cheaper to maintain than cars that run on fossil fuels and have a near-zero marginal cost of fuel. He goes on to mention that electric vehicles will have a life span of 1 million (16,09,344 km) miles and in comparison, fossil fuel based cars have a lifespan of just about 2 lakh miles (3,21,000 km approximately)

He goes on to suggest that in less than a decade consumers will find it difficult to search for petrol pumps, spares and even mechanics who have the knowledge of internal combustion engines. Finally, he says that modern-day car dealerships will disappear by 2024 as the long-term price of oil falls to $25 USD a barrel. He even says that there will be a 'mass stranding' of existing vehicles.

According to Seba "We are on the cusp of one of the fastest, deepest, most consequential disruptions of transportation in history. Internal combustion engine vehicles will enter a vicious cycle of increasing costs. What the cost curve says is that by 2025 all new vehicles will be electric, all new buses, all new cars, all new tractors, all new vans, anything that moves on wheels will be electric, globally."

Mercedes-Benz and other manufacturers are working on autonomous electric cars
The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) has come a long way since 1910. But the biggest challenge now has been to control the air quality. Reduction of CO2 and NOx levels as also hydrocarbons has made engineers innovate and we, therefore, have engines today which are not only fuel efficient but also environment-friendly.

"Our research and modelling indicate that the $10 trillion annual revenues in the existing vehicle and oil supply chains will shrink dramatically. Certain high-cost countries, companies, and fields will see their oil production entirely wiped out. Exxon-Mobil, Shell and BP could see 40 per cent to 50 per cent of their assets become stranded," says Professor Sebastian in his report.

That's a big claim but not one without fact. We've already heard countries like Norway moving towards pushing out cars with an internal combustion engine in the next decade. In fact, India too is looking at introducing norms which will see phasing out petrol and diesel cars by 2032. It's simple to explain how quick this will happen with the example of Digital cameras. With the advent of digital cameras, the ones working on the film were phased out almost immediately. It was swift and brutal and we expect something similar to happen to cars.

Car companies like Audi, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and even Volvo have already started working on autonomous technology and electric cars and probably the 'no internal combustion engine scenario' has been already envisaged by them. It, frankly, scares us a bit because we are after all petrolheads. As electric cars take centre stage, it looks like we might have to coin a new word for people like us as well.
I was reading that earlier today and color me skeptical. It makes me feel that there is an agenda working at forcing electric cars down our collective throats. @Krusty please enlighten us if you are able :)

Chinese lobbyists?

https://www.ft.com/content/8c94a2f6-fdcd-11e6-8d8e-a5e3738f9ae4

At any rate, 8 years? What will happen to the countless petrol cars on the roads? In the middle of a petroleum boom where there is a surplus of petrol and the Republicans want to produce more using fracking? Stanford is in the liberal capital of the world, so just a paid off professor pushing some agenda? :confused1:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I was reading that earlier today and color me skeptical. It makes me feel that there is an agenda working at forcing electric cars down our collective throats. @Krusty please enlighten us if you are able :)

Chinese lobbyists?

At any rate, 8 years? What will happen to the countless petrol cars on the roads? In the middle of a petroleum boom where there is a surplus of petrol and the Republicans want to produce more using fracking? Stanford is in the liberal capital of the world, so just a paid off professor pushing some agenda? :confused1:
Too optimistic if you ask me.
It's as if the stanford guy is reading us a story...

Chinese lobbyists?? :hmm: Interesting

captscooby81

Country flag
Ya i was wondering the same if the push comes for Electric in 8 years in developed countries ..The developing countries will simply loot the opportunity on Oil import and happily support running fuel based vehicles forever ...why would they take the pain of going electric when fuel will be available cheaper ..

But for an indian perspective i feel if we just move passenger car vehicles to Electric it will reduce a big burden on our oil import ...

Chinese lobbyists?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Ya i was wondering the same if the push comes for Electric in 8 years in developed countries ..The developing countries will simply loot the opportunity on Oil import and happily support running fuel based vehicles forever ...why would they take the pain of going electric when fuel will be available cheaper ..

But for an indian perspective i feel if we just move passenger car vehicles to Electric it will reduce a big burden on our oil import ...
A good percentage of India's exports is also petroleum and related chemicals.
Don't remember the exact %; statistics are at my home pc.

Krusty

Country flag

Chinese lobbyists?

I find myself in agreement with @captscooby81 on this. I think harder the agenda of electric vehicles are pushed for, the cheaper fossil fuels will become. US/EU/China will use this to leash OPEC and at the same time getting obvious desirable perks. Scientifically speaking, running out of oil anytime soon is impossible. Check this out...

https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/annual/pdf/aer.pdf

Absolutely no one notices or questions this... but as of 1977 US had just 32 billion barrels of proven oil reserves. But according to the US Govts own report, they had extracted 84 billion barrels by 2010 With the proven reserves having skyrocketed. All the while the world has kept up the scary boogeyman tactic of constantly keeping up the narrative we will run out.

I also noticed one thing, this insane push towards electric cars (where countries started setting timelines for going electric) started around the time when colossal quantities of oil was discovered in Venezuela (China and USA have already started digging their claws in this tiny country). It now has the highest proven oil reserves in the world. The world wouldn't run out of oil anytime soon if its extracted SOLELY from ME. Now Venezuela is into the fray with more reserves than the previous TOP dog. Along with reserves in Canada and USA remaining largely untapped. Russia is mostly unexplored. There is literally no logic in saying we will run out by 2030.

So this obviously means there is an agenda behind the drive towards electric cars. And I think I will lean towards this for now, till the time there is evidence otherwise.

Regardless, the silent winner of this power play between OPEC/China/EU/USA is Japan. Panasonic alone holds around 40% of the world car battery market including contracts with all the big boys (even tesla has a contract with Panasonic to supply batteries). Mitsubishi chemicals is another big player with around 10%. So Japan (SK is at a distant second) is getting tons of profit without actually spending anything interms of marketing lol.

Krusty

Country flag
Well atleast there is one good thing. If the electric car agenda is peddled hard enough for Long enough, V8s and V12s would finally be cheap enough for me to own. :drool:

Maybe something like this... de tomaso Pantera ... designed in Italy supercar, with a mid mounted big block ford V8.... love how the 80s and 90s supercars looked so athletic. Like Usain bolt on four wheels. Now mostly cars are just soft and fat
IMG_3612.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

reality check: nope. Still won't be able to afford it.

New threads

Articles