Cars & Bikes - Automotive Discussion Thread

Krusty

Country flag
There is also the small matter of pollution. England subsidized diesel heavily and now admit they were wrong as it is responsible for 13000 deaths annually. They cared more about the planet than the health of their people. I'm sure @Krusty has an opinion on this, he schooled me on pollution a while back. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/apr/13/death-of-diesel-wonder-fuel-new-asbestos
I do not want to detail this thread. It's all about business and $$$$ while maintaining the moral high ground in the minds of the common people.

Krusty

Country flag
For off-road fans, it is possible to get hold of one of those beefy Soviet trucks. Just go to some Army or Air Force vehicle auctions.

Here is a KrAZ 6x6:

If you want a brand new one, you can buy an UralAZ 6x6 in India.
Sir these are too huge. Cheaper and a practical option would be to get hold of the 1ton Nissan truck from military surplus and restore it. That would be a truly mean off-road vehicle.. Like so...
IMG_2947.JPG

Image courtesy @Kunal Biswas

And forget range rovers and jeeps. This is the real deal. The wheel/tyre size is stock btw. It isn't jacked up. This thing will climb over jeeps if it has to. . The only thing I can think of that comes anywhere close is the legendary Unimog. But we can't get that in India

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
Yes, Chevy got some nice and affordable cars in diesel.

I pity that Ford F-150 (and Chevy and Dodge equivalents) does not come with a diesel. Larger sizes come with diesel. I would prefer a Dodge though. Although otherwise Ford is probably better, Dodge comes with a Cummins diesel engine while Ford comes with a Duramax diesel engine. I prefer Cummins.
Actually you can get the Ram 1500 and Chevy Colorado in diesel. The Ram doesn't have a Cummins but a 2.4 liter ecodiesel. The same one which they are going to put in a jeep. I've driven it but hate the rotary dial for selecting gears on the dash.

Krusty

Country flag
I so want to buy Alfa Romeo 4C
Oh an Alfa Romeo fan. You have good taste. Alfas are for people who love cars. Top gear often says 'you can't be a true petrol head until you own atleast one Alfa Romeo'. I am assuming you are aware of the poor reliability record ?

Krusty

Country flag
Suzuki to build Lithium-ion battery factory in India for Electric vehicles
Makes me wonder why our domestic manufacturers aren't taking advantage of ISRO battery tech that has been cleared for use by civilian sector. As usual we squander opportunities sadly..

pmaitra

Actually you can get the Ram 1500 and Chevy Colorado in diesel. The Ram doesn't have a Cummins but a 2.4 liter ecodiesel. The same one which they are going to put in a jeep. I've driven it but hate the rotary dial for selecting gears on the dash.
You are right. It was not obvious from the website superficially. I see it now.

upload_2017-5-13_0-14-18.png

Coming to Dodge with Cummins, this is what I see with some people I know (not exact picture). I think Cummins is available with a next higher payload level.

Here is Chevrolet with Duramax:

Here is a GMC with Duramax:

Couldn't find a picture of a Ford with Duramax in it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles