Bhagvad Gita faces legal ban in Russia

Galaxy

Country flag
Similar treatment is metted out to the christian missionaries by the Bajrang Dal or RSS, ....remember what you do to others can be done to you as well.

Wrong sir.

First it was all started by Missionaries and Right-Wing Hindu organisation retaliated in some way to stop force conversion in some parts. All happened in India only. This topic is beyond our border and Gita is not related with any organsation only. Can we Banned Bible here ?? What will be reaction worldworld and from so called Secular, Atheist and Minority group in India ?

warriorextreme

Country flag
Similar treatment is metted out to the christian missionaries by the Bajrang Dal or RSS, ....remember what you do to others can be done to you as well.
so there is no difference between some nutjobs taking law in hand to stop conversions by missionaries and some orthodox nuts asking for ban of a religious book?
christian missionaries are attacked all over the world even in countries like south korea...everyone knows that they care more about converting people rather than spreading the word of jesus who would have never done such things..
i do not recall when bajarang dal or rss asked for ban on bible in india..

Twinblade

Country flag
Mischief in Siberia
First, the facts. Certain individuals in the Siberian city of Tomsk have taken offence to portions of the third Russian edition of Bhagavad Gita As It Is, which is a commentary by Iskcon founder Swami Prabhupada on the universally inspiring sermon by Krishna to Arjun, and lodged a complaint with the public prosecutor's office, describing them as "objectionable" and "extremist" in nature. The complainants are believed to be followers of the Russian Orthodox Church which, for long, has been displeased with Iskcon and is known to have expressed its unhappiness over the 'Krishna Consciousness' movement gaining ground and new adherents in Russia. On several occasions in the past, Iskcon members have faced harassment and worse. Since that has not dampened their spirit, obviously their tormentors have decided to change tactics by taking the issue to court through the public prosecutor's office, seeking a ban on Bhagavad Gita As It Is. Whether such a ban would also cover the original text of Krishna's sermon, the Bhagavad Gita, is not clear at this moment. The judge, realising the implications of an adverse verdict, has done the right thing by seeking the opinion of experts; a three-member experts' group from Siberia's University of Kemerovo has submitted its report. By way of ample precaution, the judge has also sought the opinion of the Russian Ombudsman for Human Rights as well as well-known Indologists in Moscow and St Petersburg. The judgement has been scheduled for December 28.

parijataka

Country flag
They are in power in 5 states. Is their power limited to bashing christians only?

They shut down work in the parliament on the FDI issue - surely protecting the Gita is a bigger issue.

He is from Janta Party not the BJP - the self proclaimed guardians of Hinduism. The truth is that BJP could'nt care less unless it became a media issue.

Christians are not a vote bank...
Christians are not a vote bank in many parts of India, but in parts such as NE and Kerala form a substantial percentage of population. Moreover in Congress party they are in influential positions. Lalu Prasad Yadav, defeated and sidelined in his home state, and Mulayam Singh Yadav, losing support from the Muslim component of his Yadav-Muslim combine have raised their voice in the Parliament on BG issue. Lalu and Mulayam would never have spoken if this was an issue in a Muslim country, then it would have been only the `communal` BJP speaking up! As of now I think no party other than BJP speaks up on matters that affect Hindus, rightly or wrongly.

lemontree

Professional
First it was all started by Missionaries and Right-Wing Hindu organisation retaliated in some way to stop force conversion in some parts.
Retaliate by all means - but beatings and killings and the pograms is what is wrong.
All happened in India only. This topic is beyond our border and Gita is not related with any organsation only. Can we Banned Bible here ?? What will be reaction worldworld and from so called Secular, Atheist and Minority group in India ?
The Russians are doing the same thing that the RSS does to stop christianity....I hope you can see what it feels like to be on the receiving end.
What the Russian Orthodox Church is attempting is stupid and moronic. If the teachings of Lord Krishna appeal to the Russian public then good for them and good for Indian culture and religion.

BTW, the Bible and all non-muslim holy books are banned in Saudi Arabia.

Last edited:

lemontree

Professional
so there is no difference between some nutjobs taking law in hand to stop conversions by missionaries and some orthodox nuts asking for ban of a religious book?
They are the same - intolerant nutjobs.

christian missionaries are attacked all over the world even in countries like south korea...
I care a damn what happens to christians in other nations. I am Indian and keep my country before anything else.
everyone knows that they care more about converting people rather than spreading the word of jesus who would have never done such things..
How can you be so sure?
i do not recall when bajarang dal or rss asked for ban on bible in india..
Why would they Christianity is 2000 yrs old in India, older than in Europe or Russia for that matter.

lemontree

Professional
Christians are not a vote bank in many parts of India, but in parts such as NE and Kerala form a substantial percentage of population.
Over all the population is 24 million, hardly enough to be counted as a vote bank in a country of 1 billion.
Moreover in Congress party they are in influential positions.
Why not in other parties? - I wonder.
Lalu Prasad Yadav, defeated and sidelined in his home state, and Mulayam Singh Yadav, losing support from the Muslim component of his Yadav-Muslim combine have raised their voice in the Parliament on BG issue. Lalu and Mulayam would never have spoken if this was an issue in a Muslim country
They speak for their muslim vote bank.
...then it would have been only the `communal` BJP speaking up! As of now I think no party other than BJP speaks up on matters that affect Hindus, rightly or wrongly.
Unfortunately they dont - they only want to use religion as a platform to gain power. Otherwise they would have done wonders for the plight of the hindu Kashmiri Pundits when they came to power in 1996, but they did not.
Please point out some good that the BJP has done for the hindus.

Param

Another battle between the "communals" and the hypocritical pseudo secularists!

lemontree

Professional
Another battle between the "communals" and the hypocritical pseudo secularists!
No, the members here are not communal, they dont hate christians, they just dislike conversions. Fair enough, just as we would look down upon someone form our faith who converts to another faith.

On the other hand what are "hypocritical pseudo secularists"?...

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
As per as I know traditionally their is no arrangement for a person to get converted into Hindu other then the marriage case, correct me if I am wrong.

Vyom

Seeker
I had written a post in another forum on similar issue. I am cross posting it:

The original comment: Islam is the most divided religion.

My post:A humble nitpick: Islam is not anymore divided then other religions and creeds. Human thinking is such that all people can never agree to one thing at all times. This is impossible even in a tight-knit small groups. So, to expect an entire creed to profess a single view in all things at all times seems a bit foolish. But this is exactly the condition placed by Islam. Islam rejects any diversity of thought and encourages its mullahs to enforce uniformity of thought. This creates the problems for an islamic society. Because no dissent is tolerated and no diversity is allowed. It starts from bigger differences and proceeds to minutest and irrelevant theological details.

In a society where muslims live with other non-muslims, the biggest difference is with the Kafirs. So, the muslim society can be united against the Kafir ignoring the internal differences. But in a society made up of predominantly muslims, the differences among the muslims is taken seriously. This leads to sectarian violence. But this is no end. If one sects succeeds in eliminating the other sect, even then the violence wont end. Because some other difference within the sect will soon create factions that will fight further. This is a process that will go ad infitum.

To be fair to Islam, this trait has been picked up by it from Christianity which has its roots in Judaism. All the three religions exhibit this feature. Christianity and Judaism have suffered due to the falling 'faith' of its adherents. And since the state promotes free speech, these two religions have been subjected to inspection and have been forced to accommodate. Christianity, in particular, has been subjected to harsh but well-deserved criticism which has somewhat curbed the theological intolerance in clergy(atleast outwardly).

Islam has escaped inspection and criticism by simply refusing to accept free speech even in countries that are not ruled by Islamists.
There cannot be complete uniformity of thought. But we should surge to make our basic notions of life and its code of conduct to be uniform. The difference in these basic notions of reality gives rise to immense disparity of how each of us view life and thus prioritize issues.

Although, uniformity should be sought over well established facts and paths.

ejazr

Ambassador
Unite on Bhagwad Gita: Deoband urges Hindus, Muslims | Siasat

Lucknow, December 22: Islamic seminary Darul Uloom Deoband issued a statement on Wednesday defending the Hindu religious text Bhagwad Gita. Deoband vicechancellor Maulana Abul Qasim Nomani condemned the "Russian diktat against the Hindu holy scripture " and urged Hindus and Muslims to unite to drive home the point.

Nomani also pitched for a joint approach against anti-Islamic bans Muslims face in the West. But, many in the Deoband campus were surprised by his statement. They viewed it as a tactical move by the V-C to shed his ultraconservative image for wider acceptability.

The appeal to Hindu religious heads to extend similar support to Muslims pointed to hiscautious approachlesthe was misunderstood and misinterpreted , sources said . "Allegation portraying Gita as extreme literature are totally baseless and highly objectionable ," Nomani told TOI.

No religion in the world promotes violence and terrorism . "This ban amounts to violation of the freedom to practise religion of choice enshrined in the Indian Constitution . The Russian highhandedness deservestobestaunchly countered ," he said. The Maulana in turn expected a similar support for Muslims from Hindu gurus on ban on hijab in several nations.

" Affront to religion from foreign shores needs to be opposed by both communities together for maximum impact ," he said . Maulana Khalid Rashid , head of Lucknow's Firangimahal , also denounced "Russian arrogance" and said Muslims must offer their unflinching supportto Hindus in what he called a direct attack on their privatespace . "We appealtothe government to take a firm stance so that such blasphemous interference is not attempted in future ," he said .

ejazr

Ambassador
Once again, it is their country, their rules. Of course we may protest the labelling of Bhagwad Gita as hate literature, but if we live in their country, we go by their rules.

Of course, we've never uttered a peep when the Gulf states have denied any freedom of religion to large numbers of non-Muslim Indians working there, so our parliamentarians jumping up and down over it did come as a surprise. Of course, it may have to do with the fact that Gulf states were always like that to begin with, while Russia has just come up with this new law.
Except Saudi Arabia, all gulf states provide full freedom of religion. There churches, temples, synagogues and gurudwaras in all these countries some over a 100 years old. And in many cases built on free land sanctioned by the state. In Iraq you have Gurudwaras from the time of Guru Nanak. There particularly extensive temples in UAE, Bahrain and Oman in particular due to the large number of Indian communities in these countries.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Except Saudi Arabia, all gulf states provide full freedom of religion. There churches, temples, synagogues and gurudwaras in all these countries some over a 100 years old. And in many cases built on free land sanctioned by the state. In Iraq you have Gurudwaras from the time of Guru Nanak. There particularly extensive temples in UAE, Bahrain and Oman in particular due to the large number of Indian communities in these countries.
The most basic human right to have food in open during Ramzan is not there in Kuwait,Bahrain, Qatar etc.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
However, in all Muslim countries you cannot eat during the day during Ramzan.

That is an indirect way to force people not belonging to the religion to obey their religion's diktat.

It is like forcing all to attend Church and participate in the Midnight Mass!

I find no reason why I should be deprived of my basic need because of the majority religion.

Likewise, should Indian Muslims be subjected to the rituals of the majority religion in India?

Or have Muslim women subjugated and deprived as was shown during the Shah Bano case?

Why should Muslim women be deprived when others of other religions are not?

Last edited:

Patriot

Country flag
Russia's rendezvous with Hinduism

Great Russian thinkers with their words of praise to The Bhagavad Gita Holy Book.

Alexander Kadakin, Russia's envoy to India, has won the hearts of many Indians with his prompt and forthright response to the current controversy over the demand by a small Christian group in his country for a ban on the Bhagavad Gita. When a TV channel asked him if he was surprised by the outrage expressed by members of the Indian Parliament, Kadakin said, "I am not surprised at all. I think it's quite correct that the Government of India has reacted in this way. Our two governments should not allow such things to happen. The Gita is a source of wisdom and inspiration not only for the people of India but for Russia as well and the world." Calling Gita-baiters "mad men" with "vested interests", he said, "I reiterate the love and the highest esteem our nation has for the Bhagavad Gita."
The Gita controversy prompts me to revisit many inspiring moments in Russia's long rendezvous with Hinduism, in the pre-Soviet, Soviet and post-Soviet eras. It's necessary to do so because our leftist intellectuals, owing to their hatred for Hinduism, rarely mention this subject. The Gita was first brought to Astrakhan on the Volga by Indian merchants in 1615—nearly two centuries before it was translated in Europe. Peter the Great allowed them to build a Hindu temple and exempted them from all taxes. The best minds in Russia had a deep fascination for Hindu philosophy and eastern mysticism. This is best exemplified by two towering names in Russian art and literature—Leo Tolstoy and Nicholas Roerich. Tolstoy's The Kingdom of God is Within You and his A Letter to a Hindoo had a transformative impact on Gandhiji when he was in South Africa. Gandhiji sent a copy of his Hind Swaraj to the rishi in Russia, who deeply appreciated its message as having "the greatest importance, not only for India but for the whole humanity." Tolstoy had also read some works of Swami Vivekananda. Despite some differences on certain issues, which were largely due to the fact that all of Swamiji's works were not yet available in Russian, Tolstoy described him as one of the greatest thinkers in world history, one whose philosophy is "profound on God, soul, man, unity of religions". When a disciple of Swamiji sent him a book on the Gita, he wrote, "The metaphysical, religious idea of Krishna so well expounded in your book is the eternal and universal basis of all religions and all philosophical systems."

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
If this Iskcon's version official version of BG ? i dont believe it's a rewritten work and any one know what specific words in it are extremist ?

And how can a religious scripture judged in court ??

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Russian court dismisses plea to ban Bhagavad Gita

Russian court dismisses plea to ban Bhagavad Gita
NEW DELHI:Hindus in Russia Wednesday won a hard-fought six-month battle in a Siberian Court against a plea to ban the Bhagavad Gita, among their holiest of religious scriptures, with the judge dismissing the state prosecutors' stand the book be branded "extremist" literature, as first reported by IANS.
The court in the Siberian city of Tomsk took up the case for a final hearing Wednesday morning and the judge, after reviewing the petition from the state prosecutors and the responses from the Hindus, dismissed the plea.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles