Attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen by Sri Lankan navy

Covfefe

Country flag
Exactly my point,

I meant goi can override the state gormint without giving headsup.

Im not aware of this wb bd treaty but wrt this issue,goi has overrode tn.gormint far too many times.

On moral ground yes but legally goi can finger the state.
They do it less often now. But before the SR Bommai judgement, Central government didn't care about the status of the state governments, they knew that they could simply suspend them. That was the reality for everywhere including TN. They shouldn't have ceded the territory without consultation with the people there but alas Gandhi parivar isn't the pinnacle of democracy to begin with. What alternative remains with the Central government now is to come up with a working relationship with the SL government regarding the issue- and it will involve a whole gamut of solutions including force and ceding some grounds. No trigger happy surveillance has to be established first, they kill yours you kill theirs simple.

BD treaty was regarding the water distribution of Teesta river in which they wanted a bigger share. Didi screwed MMS, and said no as WB farmers would've been affected.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Sir
These are all hoqwash,to give credibility to their efforts state gormint can't do zilch in this issue besides nagging/begging

Was Parliament and state gormint were consulted before the katchatheevu sale.....

Please drop the state gormint/local parties argument,it brings down the quality of the convo.

Real stake holders sl gvt and goi

Beyond that all hot gas.
as far GoI is concerned, i too have qualms about the way it functions. during independence they told my family, we could keep our lands. after independence they told us GoI will take our lands and pay honorarium every year, IG took away that honorarium too. to each their own.

we disagree on the part that state government is not a stake holder, @Covfefe has given some explanation.

Cheran

Country flag

I swear to god. I am yet to see a nation of our size behave in such a cucked manner.

Smaller nations with smaller economies have done so much more. Respect is earned you don't earn it by getting bitch slapped by a+ bankrupt nation begging for aid.

You get it by publicly humiliating the shit out of them and pressing your boot on their face.

The world respects power and follow those who wield it.

Everything else is schematics.
The cause of inaction is always attributed to the perceived actions that actors in the respective countries can take with respect to aligning themselves with those who are already hostile to us i.e. Pakistan & China. This is a good template for inaction or at best status quo.

Bangaldesh kills BSF troopers. "Oh no, we cannot be so masculine about it as it might cause a drift toward China & we will have more problems."

Bangladesh executes a BSF trooper at point blank range. "Oh no, we cannot be so masculine about it as it might cause a drift toward China & we will have more problems."

Sri Lanka kills/abducts Indian fishermen. "Oh no, we cannot be so masculine about it as it might cause a drift toward China & we will have more problems."

It is obvious that these smaller countries will play double game to extract benefits from both us & china.

Does SL have an incentive not to go after Indian fishermen in an aggressive way that in the past have led to deaths? The incentives should be things like SL ruling politicians sexcapades not being send to the press or some other things (minor danda) to control this so that interaction is less deadly.

As to how this can be solved in the long term needs to be seen. Ex Gen VK Singh, some time back, said in a press conf. in Chennai -

1640179889994.png

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
including TN. They shouldn't have ceded the territory without consultation with the people there but alas Gandhi parivar isn't the pinnacle of democracy to begin with.

Thank you for bringing it up,as i keep saying its not the goi inaction alone the problem,

If you read this thread from the beginning none of the critics brought up this very issue.

Rather than mentioning that ppl simply said "thats local Politics"

"Tamil identity chauvinist politicians"

"have a fishing farm"

How the above points apply here?

Im simply happy to the fact people do see the issue here

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
as far GoI is concerned, i too have qualms about the way it functions. during independence they told my family, we could keep our lands. after independence they told us GoI will take our lands and pay honorarium every year, IG took away that honorarium too. to each their own.
Im sorry for your loss of property and the indignity came with it,

I relly am....

So is it wise to criticize the local people/local govt/parties when the fallout happens

Isn't it equal to criticize a stab victim for bleeding?

Bleeding is the symptom, but goi neither stopped the bleeding nor apprehend the perpetrator

But here we are shifting blames everywhere.

When hurt everyone react differently some people go down quietly

Some people raise hell...

Tn gormint or the people did neither of That

There were no Mass protests
there were no mourning
Nothing

Here in tn for general people, its just an statistic once in a while they hear or read in msm.

That's all.

Local politicians give some condemning statements that's all....

But people are more than happy use them as punch bags as diversion, do you see how far the counter arguments are detached from reality?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
But people are more than happy use them as punch bags to divert, do you see how far the counter arguments are detached from reality?
answer is you educate people who you think don't know the specifics, either you should be willing to take up the cause ( most times without any reward ) or you don't. but it's a give and take. generalisation is not just regarding this issue, it's a common occurrence, there is no way you don't know about it's existence.

you too are unwilling to concede that state government is a stake holder, so it's ok to disagree on some points.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
answer is you educate people who you think don't know the specifics,
Why can't the goi educate them, why its the local parties job,
What happens when more harm comes their way,can a regional party afford the fallout?

you too are unwilling to concede that state government is a stake holder
Lemme be perfectly clear, morally yes they are the stake holders
But they have no power over goi decision

Goi can simply override and it happened in the fast

If they had iota of power then why didn't goi responded when the state cm wrote to pm's?

you too are unwilling to concede that state government is a stake holder
Its not what im Willing to concede,but reality and facts trumps every time.

Even i brought up katchatheevu,

Sl navy attacking inside Indian imbl
And 80s central gormint capturing sl Navy vessel
Sl sponsored narrative

Yet choose to not discuss the above factors...

So my will to concede to the point which indra Gandhi did decades ago backs up my point.

What backs up your "tn politicians did it" argument?

Did they ask the sl Navy to kill them?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Why can't the goi educate them, why its the local parties job,
What happens when more harm comes their way,can a regional party afford the fallout?

Lemme be perfectly clear, morally yes they are the stake holders
But they have no power over goi decision

Goi can simply override and it happened in the fast

If they had iota of power then why didn't goi responded when the state cm wrote to pm's?

Its not what im Willing to concede,but reality and facts trumps every time.

Even i brought up katchatheevu,

Sl navy attacking inside Indian imbl
And 80s central gormint capturing sl Navy vessel
Sl sponsored narrative

Yet choose to not discuss the above factors...

So my will to concede to the point which indra Gandhi did decades ago backs up my point.

What backs up your "tn politicians did it" argument?

Did they ask the sl Navy to kill them?
ok, let's take this up.

This was my original quote, not "tn politicians did it".
Fundamental reason is basically over-fishing after LTTE matter got resolved.

everything else is local politics.
if the goal is "prevention of loss of life", say for a final agreement on non-confrontation on the seas, some boundaries are to be set on both IN and SL sides. On Indian side will GoI negotiate directly with our fisherman or will it take help from local leaders?

since this is a negotiation, there will be a give and take.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
For members who are interested in exploring the issue.

Indian side of the argument
https://carnegieendowment.org/files/Suryanaryanan_Fisheries_Dispute_.pdf

SL side of the argument

Latest by ORF, wondering if there is a plan by SL to internationalise the issue.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
not "tn politicians did it".
How it is different from that oneliner

////everything else is local politics./////

Apart from overfishing everything else is killing and Harassing fishermen,

So im correct to quote that way.....

Everything else includes behavior of goi and sl navy
some boundaries are to be set on both IN and SL sides.
Lemme tell you not gonna happen

This will explain how clueless you are to this issue
On Indian side will GoI negotiate directly with our fisherman or will it take help from local leaders?

So far goi never ever listened to the state gormint they aren't gonna start right away.

Learn issue first sir back it up with evidence don't let your prejudice guide your arguments

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
How it is different from that oneliner

////everything else is local politics./////

Apart from overfishing everything else is killing and Harassing fishermen,

So im correct to quote that way.....

Everything else includes behavior of goi and sl navy

Lemme tell you not gonna happen

This will explain how clueless you are to this issue

So far goi never ever listened to the state gormint they aren't gonna start right away.

Learn issue first sir back it up with evidence don't let your prejudice guide your arguments
Screenshot 2021-12-22 at 8.49.42 PM.png

Then there is really no point in going ahead with this conversation, stalemate in diplomatic front is obvious.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
Ya'll Nibbiars most of the memebers here get wrong about many things.

1 . We alreday have co operative for the Fisherman's without interest loans.

2 . There are Trawlers which capable if going to the near oceans.

3 . But not all regions are rich in resources.

4 . The region that is in question is reach in resources.

5 . Due to it's proximity they fish there.

6 . Most of the fishermen considered that territory to be Indian dispute the Indira bad decision of simply gifting it to the Sri Lanka.

7 . Most of the Local Politicians support them.

8 . It's has become a matter of larger scales.

9 . Most ot the memebsr are unable to understand this.

10 . And also the proximity helps to reduce the timing to reach.

11 . And also helps to reduce the fuel cost which is now sky rocketeds.
Why are Gandhuis allowed to sell Indian lands to foreign states? These are territories that belong to Republic of India and not to a single shitty family. Did india gain any benefit from this deal? Oh wait it is zero zero gains for India other than reducing the size of indian EZZ and gaining the hatred of the local Tamil people.

Last edited:

Covfefe

Country flag
Why are Gandhuis allowed to sell Indian lands to foreign states? These are territories that belong to Republic of India and not to a single shitty family. Did india gain any benefit from this deal? Oh wait it is zero zero gains for India other than reducing the size of indian EZZ and gaining the hatred of the local Tamil people.
Till very recently India was a personal trust property of the family. Used INS Virat for beach sighting, Air India jet for celebrating birthday, what is one small island

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars I have seen the Sky Scraper City SL threads there they simply cheers the Chinese Investment and Hate Indians to the core calling delivery remarks like Paajits and what not. This is much deeper than some have thoughts.
I didn't know that the Lankans called us pajeets.. whatever the fck that means. Do you think that mostly they were Paxtanis and Xibots talking shit?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Local politicians may crooks but not some idiots who are waiting for fishing advise from random internet posters.

They too want this problem go away bcuz its a pain in the butt for them too.

Media criticize them for lack of inaction.

Local politicians love to launch welfare schemes if it attract certain community votes.

Since fishermen are tight knit communities any Fishing schemes would make them into a voting bloc.

Which politician wouldn't want?

This it self proves the problem is much more complicated.
Calm down. I only told what I know limited about fishing. Like @ezsasa said, it has to be a mix of gunning down the rogue SLN personnel + something that gives our fishermen livelihood in the long-term and secures their interests. One approach won't resolve this issue for good.

My point is that we have inter-woven strategic steps to resolve this and also ensure that we have sustainability without having the need to completely flatten Lanka (for the second time). I fully advocate and want the Navy to start sinking their pathetic gunboats in retaliation to any killings of our people.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles