Astra BVRAAM

Chinmoy

Country flag
An initial order of 50 missiles was placed in September 2017.
Later an additional order of 248 missiles were placed for Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.
31 May 2022, Ministry of Defence signed contract with BDL to produce 350+ units of Astra Mk-1 for Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.
Total order is of 300+ missile, not 648.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
An initial order of 50 missiles was placed in September 2017.
Later an additional order of 248 missiles were placed for Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.
31 May 2022, Ministry of Defence signed contract with BDL to produce 350+ units of Astra Mk-1 for Indian Air Force and Indian Navy.
the first order of 50, was for testing.
it's the same order, 2020 248 missile AoN being executed in 2022.

this is on the basis that, when the news came last time (2020 )there was no value of the order reported in the news.

if i remember correctly, swarajya article introduced this confusion.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
The value of orders reported by BDL for second batch was Rs 2900 cr. Not clear how many more missiles

so estimates range from 250 to 650 missiles for Astra -1

Satish Sharma

Country flag
What is the status of SFDR astra mk3?
When will it join service.

I was asking are we working with Russians for ramjet propulsion? Are they really helping us.
Because even they don't have there sfdr ready.
Forget sfdr there dual pulse is not ready yet.

And has AESA seeker got on the production astra mk1 ? Total of ~600 Have been ordered..
The older Russian agat seekers was said to have 13km locking range.. how's our AESA seeker. Will it be going in akash sam.
Screenshot_2024-03-21-17-59-52-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So the cost will match?
I don't think it's authentic
Coz mk2 will definitely be a lot cheaper than mk2 as it consists of sfdr and both fall in different category and have different capabilities
Yeah it's true that mk1 numbers won't exceed more after recent orders and further requirement will be catered by mk2 as it has better range and electronics too generally speaking

Satish Sharma

Country flag
This is a blunder astra mk2 has abundant potential for export sfdr is elite tech I don't think we will export it to everyone who wants it. Such a bad news hope that's untrue. The kill zone of mk2 is significantly more it will have alot more energy in end game..
Astra mk2 is almost ready product. With everything similar to already developed astra mk1. Most important control laws are almost same. It's190mm compared 178mm of mk1..
It will be way cheaper than the expensive astra mk3.
The astra mk3 will atleast take 2025-26. It control laws are very different. Not having a astra mk2 class missile till 2025-26 will be very problematic we will not have anything significant weapon against aim120C5 & pl15.

If this is true. I'm convinced there's a lobby working in every department against indias interest...

Last edited:

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Yeah it's true that mk1 numbers won't exceed more after recent orders and further requirement will be catered by mk2 as it has better range and electronics too generally speaking
I think Astra mk2 has no different electronics than mk1. Yeah initially they said the Indigenous aesa seeker will go on mk2 but it went on mk1 too except first 50 ordered mk1 missiles..
It will have bigger battery as it will fly long distance and it's 12mm thicker than 178mm mk1. Apart from this there is no change..
Mk3 will take some time till then I don't think it is worth it not to posses mk2 class capabilities...

Last edited:

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think Astra mk2 has no different electronics than mk1. Yeah initially they said the Indigenous aesa seeker will go on mk2 but it went on mk1 too except first 50 ordered mk1 missiles..
It will have bigger battery as it will fly long distance and it's 12mm thicker than 178mm mk1. Apart from this there is no change..
Mk3 will take some time till then I don't think it is worth it not to posses mk2 class capabilities...
Yes it's true that seeker change happened with mk1 as well
But even I heard from someone in X that it will have better ecm than mk1

Satish Sharma

Country flag
What is the status of ASTRA MK2.. Did any carriage or separation trial happen ?
The astra mk2 has successfully competed all the trials on su30.. full flight envelope testing is completed.
In mid 2022 it was tested from universal ejector launcher.
It successfully completed safe separation ejection trials..
Most likely this year Astra mk2 will be tested.
Yes it's true that seeker change happened with mk1 as well
But even I heard from someone in X that it will have better ecm than mk1
One thing we forgot it will have laser optical proximity fuse which is obviously better than radio proximity fuse. It's is less susceptible to jamming and can home on stealthy targets at close ranges..

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles