Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Damian

@Damian which is perfect tank in your mind ??? present day.
No such vehicle designed yet. I can point out several designs that after modifications can be such:

1) M1A2SEP, after several modifications it can be perfect MBT in classic design.
2) T-84M Oplot-M (Ukr. Fortress-M) vel BM Oplot.
3) Merkava Mk4 but overall in my opinion it is too big, way to big.
4) Leclerc SXXI (S3) T11.

These designs in my opinion have potential but as I said, redesign is needed.

T-72M1 are update in Poland, ERA suit was provided from Polish firm..
In India? I did not see ERAWA 1 or ERAWA 2 on Indian T-72M1's.

1.Its upto Army decision, for most its a obvious thing that Smooth-bore is better..
2.Gun should able to put shells at 3000meters wheeled or Chassis, 120mm is the hint..
3.Logestics in sence of Ammo, Spares elctronics, etc....

Getting Logistic straight will only happen when we have Arjun, FMBT together with no T-tanks, Also their is a FICV race is one, My assumption is which ever private firm would won its vehicle would be used for MGS and ICV/IFV purpose..

Now on MGS part, It will be decided when we will have the winner in country, Probably if Anders see active duty in IA, We may use the same gun..
Well there are 3 guns that can suit well IA needs.

US M360 and M360A1 tandem, first gun is for vehicles lighter than 40 tons, second is gun for MBT's, these guns share most common components.

German Rhinemetall 120mm LLR gun.

RUAG CTG L50 gun.

All these guns can be mounted on tracked and wheeled hulls... at least US M360 and M360A1 can be used such way. All are compatibile with NATO ammunition.

ERAWA-2 based on RDX ? Btw it decrease Tandam war head by what percentage ( Approx ) ?
ERAWA-2 decreased capabilities of PzF-3T tandem warhead to such point that remains of shaped charge jet were unabale to perforate RHA plate behind ERA.

So it decreased it to probably also 70-80% and rest was stoped by RHA plate.

p2prada

Too many uncertainties with European weapons. ToT is a big question and it is yet to be seen if even Poland would agree.

Damian

Question, with what rifled guns Indian Army had experience, besides obvious L7 series, D-10 series and older ones. I means, did L11 was tested by IA?

p2prada

There were just rumours of Chieftain tests in India. We obviously did not buy the tank, so no question of us having tested the gun by ourselves beyond manufacturer tests. So, it's a big maybe.

Our nuclear test in 1974 was a major hurdle in our relations with the west. So, it is possible Chieftain was on the cards until 1974. Considering we were supplied with T-72 in 1979, just 5 years after the test, it is possible Chieftain was part of a competitive deal for tanks during the time and was consequently withdrawn due to the test and perhaps lost to the T-72 in the process.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In India? I did not see ERAWA 1 or ERAWA 2 on Indian T-72M1's.

Well there are 3 guns that can suit well IA needs.
US M360 and M360A1 tandem, first gun is for vehicles lighter than 40 tons, second is gun for MBT's, these guns share most common components.

German Rhinemetall 120mm LLR gun.
RUAG CTG L50 gun.

All these guns can be mounted on tracked and wheeled hulls... at least US M360 and M360A1 can be used such way. All are compatibile with NATO ammunition.

India signed a $73 million contract with a polish firm (Mar 22, 2002)to upgrade 250 of its t-72 mi main battle tanks (mbts)

1. Polish SKO-1T Drawa-T fire control systems
  2. Thermal Imagers supplied by Polish PCO/Cenzin(from PT-91 Twardy)
  3. 1,000 HP(750 kW) engine made by Polish firm PZL-Wola
My Bad Era is Indian.

If that so then its good, Most importantly we should able to use same ammo on all type of tanks we have..

Last edited:

Damian

There were just rumours of Chieftain tests in India. We obviously did not buy the tank, so no question of us having tested the gun by ourselves beyond manufacturer tests. So, it's a big maybe.

Our nuclear test in 1974 was a major hurdle in our relations with the west. So, it is possible Chieftain was on the cards until 1974. Considering we were supplied with T-72 in 1979, just 5 years after the test, it is possible Chieftain was part of a competitive deal for tanks during the time and was consequently withdrawn due to the test and perhaps lost to the T-72 in the process.
Interesting, if Chieftain and T-72 was tested in comparision tests then T-72 was superior definetly and nothing strange that it win.

If that so then its good, Most importantly we should able to use same ammo on all type of tanks we have..
So then maybe Russian 2A46 guns and derivatives? But even 2A75 gun for light weight tracked vehicles is to powerfull for wheeled vehicles.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Did I miss something? Did Poland win the tender to upgrade T-72s?

Damian

We upgraded them only partially... pitty that India never sign a contract with Bumar to upgrade Indian T-72M1's to PT-91Ex standard. :(

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
We upgraded them only partially... pitty that India never sign a contract with Bumar to upgrade Indian T-72M1's to PT-91Ex standard. :(
To keep the cost down, Also DRDO era not effective as Polish ones but the same ERA is provided to all tanks in IA that includes Arjunmk2..

Indian T-72M1 are getting Polish, American, Israeli upgrades all together, These machines will stay for another 5-10 years and needed urgent up-gradation..

So then maybe Russian 2A46 guns and derivatives? But even 2A75 gun for light weight tracked vehicles is to powerfull for wheeled vehicles.
The Gun production of 2A75 is closed,2S25 Sprut-SD Production is ceased as per new defense minister of Russia..

Last edited:

Damian

Indian T-72M1 are getting Polish, American, Israeli upgrades all together,
What are these American and Israeli upgrades?

The Gun production of 2A75 is closed,2S25 Sprut-SD Production is ceased as per new defense minister of Russia..
It is uncertain that indeed production was closed permamently or only for some time.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What are these American and Israeli upgrades?
It is uncertain that indeed production was closed permamently or only for some time.
Their is no final update of both firms

Israli Upgrade of Indian T-72M1 headed by Tadiran and Elbit
American Upgrade IS headed by Larsen & Toubro Limited (L&T) of India has teamed with Raytheon

Storm shadow

Country flag
I think the HVF should use licence produced KPV 14.5mm HMG with the indigenous RCWS,instead of the NSV. . . . .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think the HVF should use licence produced KPV 14.5mm HMG with the indigenous RCWS,instead of the NSV. . . . .
I think AAMG era is gone, Its time to put medium caliber MG like FN-MAG, Reason is WAVE is too accurate and 7.62X51mm recoil is not heavy for RCWS, Also this gives more ammo in Ammo box of MG, For anti-helos Missiles from Main Gun are the solution now days which have more range than HMG above the turret, If we want some thing heavy i think we should put AGL-30 AGL..

Blood+

Country flag
Self delete. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
Self Delete.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Damian

Kunal 12,7mm machine guns are not past or obsolete. You should look at US and Israeli experience with using these weapon in anti infantry and anti material roles, and hey, US is using RWS than can handle not only recoil of 7,62mm machine gun but also 12,7mm machine gun and 40mm automatic grenade launcher.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Kunal 12,7mm machine guns are not past or obsolete. You should look at US and Israeli experience with using these weapon in anti infantry and anti material roles, and hey, US is using RWS than can handle not only recoil of 7,62mm machine gun but also 12,7mm machine gun and 40mm automatic grenade launcher.
Do you know what is the involvement in India on the Polish light tank CV90?

Damian

None because Polish light tank is based on Universal Combat Platform Anders not CV90 platform that is Swedish design, it was only tested in Poland but decision was made to design our own platform.

However UCP Anders can be also equipped with Polish made RWS Kobuz that can be armed also in 12,7mm heavy machine gun or 40mm automatic grenade launcher.

If there is currently any involvement of Indian authorities in UCP Anders development, this is unknown to Polish public.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles