Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Blood+

Country flag
The rod appears to be rather short compared to its foreign counterparts and that ain't good!! :(

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
What is done in Arjun's FSAPDS round to remove the spin imparted on sabot by rifling in Arjun's barrel?

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
No, Found it while searching on web ..
Any specs about Israeli CL series round for T 90 and T 72, i believe DRDO made a clone of it after IMI got blacklisted.

IMO its superior to 3BM 42 "mango" that India bought in large numbers.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Neat and brand new, Just clocked +300kms ..

..................................................................................................................................................................

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

garg_bharat

Country flag
Dalali effects everything and portrayal of the news says a lot to me ..
The article correctly points out some significant issues:

1. Piecemeal imports without any long term contracts results in breakdown in supplies.
2. The components are bought without adequate after-sales support. Typical guarantee period is useless (like one year) for long running projects.
3. The breakdowns are in imported components. This issue again highlights the problem with imports - equipment breaks down and not repaired for months and years.

I have said it before and repeating again - T90 is far more maintainable and supportable compared to Arjun. Arjun's biggest flaw is that its powertrain and tracks is imported, and no proper repair facility is set up till date.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Please go through the thread and read up the article and compare, The article is repeat of an old article posted by in 2013,

Arjun MBT Regiments recently received Presidential citation which is based on performance and regularity of units in combat and peace in both past and present ..

A. Thermal and FCS are made by BEL under license,
B. Tracks and transmission are manufactured by L&T,
C. Few components along the engine are imported,

These are being repeatedly posted in this very thread with sources, This is not T-90 related thread please keep this till Arjun MK1 development and discussion, Their are other threads which suits comparison debates ..

The article correctly points out some significant issues:

1. Piecemeal imports without any long term contracts results in breakdown in supplies.
2. The components are bought without adequate after-sales support. Typical guarantee period is useless (like one year) for long running projects.
3. The breakdowns are in imported components. This issue again highlights the problem with imports - equipment breaks down and not repaired for months and years.

I have said it before and repeating again - T90 is far more maintainable and supportable compared to Arjun. Arjun's biggest flaw is that its powertrain and tracks is imported, and no proper repair facility is set up till date.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Thermal and FCS are made by BEL under license
"Licensed production" does not solve supply issues. This has been proven time and again.

Licensed production is a euphemism for assembly from imported components, nothing more. These components dry up in most cases.

See I hope your stand is right. Though I have my doubts.

There is a need to install locally made powerpack urgently to improve supportability.

armyofhind

Country flag
"Licensed production" does not solve supply issues. This has been proven time and again.

Licensed production is a euphemism for assembly from imported components, nothing more. These components dry up in most cases.

See I hope your stand is right. Though I have my doubts.

There is a need to install locally made powerpack urgently to improve supportability.
There will always be some quantity of imported components for any platform which is indigenous.. no platfotm at all can ever be 100% indigenous..
Even the M1 Abrams uses a German manufactured gun barrel.. by Rheinmetall.. and that is only what is out in public domain..

The only way to ensure spares support for the Arjun is to place larger orders for it.. instead of wasting money on senseless imports like the T-90.. which has been beaten on all counts by the Arjun at least twice now in comparative trials.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles