Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
What was the design problem?
In the farther upgrade of the 2A4 they redesigned the turret.
Its not a re-deigned turret but addon Armour..

The problem exist on LE0 A4, Arjun is a variant of LEO A4 and evolve into something better..

I cannot talk on public fourm abt it, But i hope its been corrected as it was done on LEO A5/6 and so on..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I guess, they will stretch front portion of the turret by bolting specially designed armour blocks in such a manner that top aft portion of hull (area above diver compartment) will get covered. This is the area which is exposed and venerable to all kinds of Top-Attack projectiles and a serious design deficiency.

Last edited:

black eagle

Country flag
Don't know who to believe. This report says the weight has been reduced to 55 tons, while another report earlier mentioned the weight has actually increased. If they are adding extra armour then how can the weight of the tank reduce????

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we should not confuse with 'Arjun MK-I version 2' with Arjun MK-II version. Right now DRDO is doing field testing of 'Arjun MK-I version 2'.

sukhoi30mki

T-90 is good but not good enough against Al-Khalids, they are more like equals.

No body is objecting to the tanks ordered back in the day given the circumstances of unavailability of Arjun. But now circumstances have changed and Arjun is available now and better than T-90. So, Army had to change its view against T-90 and come into its senses to order more Arjuns instead of more T-90s.

T-90 is damn fine tank, so is Arjun.

Now Arjun is ready to deliver. Saying Arjun's lucky break is because of T-95 cancellation is nothing but wishful thinking.

Thinking what is good for Russians is also good for Indian Army is a big fallacy. Russian operate in cold climes and we operate in hot climate of deserts. Lots of difference. May be for Russia T-90 is good enough given the enemies it has to fight but India has to fight more formidable enemies in the form of China and Pakistan, so IA needs better tanks than what enemies have and Arjun fits the bill.

IA has to invest in Arjun infrastructure and logistics because they are the ones issues GSQR for Arjuns. So, IA nor T-90 campers cannot harp on this point anymore. Army has no stick to beat with when it comes to Arjun. Period.
Any pic of Arjun mk II

Rahul Singh

Country flag
we should not confuse with 'Arjun MK-I version 2' with Arjun MK-II version. Right now DRDO is doing field testing of 'Arjun MK-I version 2'.
What? I am into belief that both are same.

It is high time Russia buy few hundred Arjun MK-II tanks, since their T 95 is cancelled now.
It will be a typical shame. They will rather choose western design, probably Leopard-2, their Generals seems in love with it.

Last edited:

Storm shadow

Country flag
Guys,Arjun mk2 will never be 55 ton.The weight will increase to atleast 6 to 8 ton due to tungsten carbide face hardening plate and heavy ERA.
REGARDS....

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Guys,Arjun mk2 will never be 55 ton.The weight will increase to atleast 6 to 8 ton due to tungsten carbide face hardening plate and heavy ERA.
REGARDS....
They claim the Hull and Turret with have structural modification, which means they may shave of some Armour?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
What? I am into belief that both are same.
One is improved existing Arjun tank, other is FMBT that is next version of Arjun tank for which IA has give its GSQR. FMBT would be most probably have auto loader and 3 men crew.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
So, Arjun Mk 1 V 2 is the "piecemeal" testing platform and Arjun Mk 2 is the "overall" testing platform? I am confused. How can you reduce weight, yet add armor?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
So, Arjun Mk 1 V 2 is the "piecemeal" testing platform and Arjun Mk 2 is the "overall" testing platform? I am confused. How can you reduce weight, yet add armor?
Arjun improved and FMBT (Arjun MK-II) both are different. As far as weight reduction is concern, they are going to do various things including new armor which is light weight. This was develop around 2008, even better then Kanchan armor.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
arjun mk2 is the improved arjun based on modification on arjun mk1 design.fmbt is the next tank which drdo is going to design which will be inducted by 2020.it will be a 50 ton tank and most probably feature and unmanned turret and a crew of 3.

black eagle

Country flag
Arjun improved and FMBT (Arjun MK-II) both are different. As far as weight reduction is concern, they are going to do various things including new armor which is light weight. This was develop around 2008, even better then Kanchan armor.
FMBT is not Arjun MKII..... Arjun MKII is the upgraded version of the Arjun which is currently being tested now....

p2prada

We have 3 tank developments going on or planned, apart from T-90 and T-72 upgrade.

The first one was Arjun Mk1 and we know about it.

The second one is the recently announced Arjun Mk2 which is undergoing tests. It will have a modified body and will be a little lighter. It will get heavier once the ERA bricks are added along with APS and a newer APU. Reports suggest a new higher calibre gun as well, hopefully 52 cal or more. It will be the first version to fire the Lahat operationally other than have all the extra electronics that is not yet present in the Mk1.

The third is the 40 to 50 tons FMBT which will have a prototype from 2017 onwards. It will not be the Arjun Mk2. You could say the Arjun Mk2 will be like the Su-30MKI for the air force while FMBT will be more like PAKFA. Meaning it will be a newer generation tank with stealthy features to avoid detection from surveillance systems like BFSR and AWACS. It will carry a powerful, multishot APS and will be an overall superior tank to the currently tested Mk2 in armour, mobility as well as firepower. Instead of the indigenous diesel engine that's on the Arjun Mk2 the FMBT will have a Hyperbar engine like that on the Leclerc(except it will be much more powerful). The hyperbar engine will eliminate the need for an extra APU like the one on the Arjun Mk2.

A Hyperbar engine is based on gas turbine technology. The Arjun Mk2 is being designed to give a successful conclusion to the Arjun program and also bridge the gap we need in order to design the newer FMBT.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the drdo chooses to release a picture of amca which is going to be inducted in 2025 and still no pictures of arjun mk2-what a shame.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Yeah - because one is still fictional, so no secret, the other one is a work in progress.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
the drdo chooses to release a picture of amca which is going to be inducted in 2025 and still no pictures of arjun mk2-what a shame.
because tank does not have to go for wind tunnel test. Plus the Arjun MK2 is more or less same as old MK-1 just add ERA bricks on it.
either this type

as shown in T72

DRDO::Life Sciences Engineering

or bigger and advance version of those shown above like the ones on T 90

rest of the changes are all internal.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Can bullets trigger the ERA bricks?

@Saya the second pic is a Pakistani tank?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles