Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Trololo

Country flag
Does the Arjun Mk2 have a barrel bend detector? I see a notch on the tip of the gun, but no sensor on the mantlet that lines up with the notch.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag
Russian tanks have hatches that hinge forward and can provide protection against small arms fire. Wonder why it wasn't adopted for Arjun.

Flame Thrower

There was some news on Arjun (not sure of MK2) participating in some tank exercise...

Any info on it...

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
FMBT designs ...by DRDO ,preliminary
Hope they make a better in the View attachment 17993 View attachment 17994 final
12 wheels, so the tank will be in the 50-ton class? Sweet.

Happy to say that they are trying to stick to an unmanned turret concept. But from the first pic, it looks like they are planning a 3-man crew. Long ago, they said they were trying to use more automation so that the tank could make-do with a 2-man crew. A two-man crew would have meant a lighter and better protected tank. Maybe they dropped the idea due to prohibitive costs and.or complexity of a 2-man tank. It could also be a user requirement to keep 3-man crew.......

Why is the engine to the rear and crew in front? 'cause of the driver? Hmmm........

Hopefully, the FMBT program has advanced a lot after this stage.:laugh:

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Can any one tell me, if publishing such images (GNMBT , two I did) which are well published by CVRDE , is a crime? Exploiting national secutity?One man claiming himself a GOI scientist threatended lodge complain against my page to the MoD/MHA ! How much is it possible and what to do?

sthf

Country flag
Can any one tell me, if publishing such images (GNMBT , two I did) which are well published by CVRDE , is a crime? Exploiting national secutity?One man claiming himself a GOI scientist threatended lodge complain against my page to the MoD/MHA ! How much is it possible and what to do?
No one can raise any issues till you post open source material. It's probably some kind trying to mess with you.

Vijyes

It is unlikely that a scientist has come after you. It could be someone else trying to make fun.

KRAIT

IA dont want Indian tank. They are habitual of kickbacks. Unless the govt. takes charge to propel indigenious production, the habit of IA wont change.

Vijyes

IA dont want Indian tank. They are habitual of kickbacks. Unless the govt. takes charge to propel indigenious production, the habit of IA wont change.
Don't blame IA. Do you remember how VK Singh was pissed off and shot off an open letter to MMS?

It was the congress that was working under the behest of Saudis and ISI that weakened India purposefully

itsme

Country flag
Arjun tank should be given for subsidy to our poor farmers to plough the field.
And kaveri engine can be used as turbo jet to pump water in big field from many districts.
Lol true. Lets hope TATA comes up with a good design.

Vijyes

Arjun tank should be given for subsidy to our poor farmers to plough the field.
And kaveri engine can be used as turbo jet to pump water in big field from many districts.
Lol. I think Arjun will be completed in a sane manner by 2019 - 20. The army purposefully kept adding weight to it just to reject it. It knew perfectly well that pakistan has dug canals and the tanks need to cross bridges.

S.Balaji

Country flag
Had opportunity to speak with CVRDE guys at Chennai during the DRDO expo. They said they have managed to reduce the weight of the tank by 3-3.5 tons and it was is an work in progress to meet other requirements of the user with most requirements completed.Reg missile firing capability lahat seems uncertain and they are waiting for CLGM to materialize. When asked for delay in realizing CLGM they said that range has been changed by user. Funny thing was the the guy at the stall said that the user wanted the missile's range to be lowered to 500 meters.The guy was sad stating that arjun's gun can fire very accurately any ammo at that range making the missile redundant at that range. The new suspension has served to dampened the vertical axis movement while on the move making the gun very accurate.

When asked reg army's contention that our bridges cant take the 60+ ton load of arjun, they rebutted saying that they have produced and handed over bridge laying tracked vehicles in hundreds for usage over canal and small rivers and it was the user who wanted a heavy tank with lots of goodies.

Bharat power pack is in design stage and not in prototype stage they are awaiting funding and would go for prototyping after a consultant reviews the design.

Vorschlaghammer

Country flag

Vijyes

Bharat power pack is an absolute essential. If that is in design stage, our scientists are the most useless bunch. I can't understand why we can't fast track a mere tank engine. If we can't do even this or the HTSE engines, what good are we in designing Kaveri engines? Without indigenous engine, there is no point having a vehicle.

3-3.5 ton weight reduction is nothing. The Arjun weight was 68tons. A weight reduction of at least 8-9 tons is needed to bring it within 60tons range

S.Balaji

Country flag
Bharat power pack is an absolute essential. If that is in design stage, our scientists are the most useless bunch. I can't understand why we can't fast track a mere tank engine. If we can't do even this or the HTSE engines, what good are we in designing Kaveri engines? Without indigenous engine, there is no point having a vehicle.

3-3.5 ton weight reduction is nothing. The Arjun weight was 68tons. A weight reduction of at least 8-9 tons is needed to bring it within 60tons range
We currently source arjun engines from MTU rated at 1400 hp... MTU r world leaders in tank power packs..Abrams tank's locally built gas turbine engine failed in gulf war's sandy conditions making them to source diesel engines from MTU, now acquired by Rolls Royce power systems....it took MTU 12 years of r&d to arrive at this current power pack in production...no easy task for india to emulate..even USA doesn't hv indigenous power pack for Der MBT....keep in mind dat MTU was formulated in 1909..they were building diesel engines for zeplin in ww2..Der r only 3 countries with this technology...dats y CVRDE s cautious in the design stage...dey want the design to be validated first by an external consultant... give them some time to realise the product.....

Met a guy whose company in Chennai was supplying engine parts to MTU..so we do hv some amount of tank diesel engine parts industrial ecosystem in place in India....we lack an indigenous design....give them some time the labs are doing good work..

3 to 3.5 ton reduction s actually good considering d amount of goods put in the mark 2 which led to weight increase in first place.the tank that was placed for the static display had ballast weight on the turret, when enquired i found dey were testing an all electric power drive instead of the existing hydraulic drive whereby weight reduction was by 35% n the same tank was placed for static display....n remember the weight reduction s a work in progress...

Pandora

Country flag
We currently source arjun engines from MTU rated at 1400 hp... MTU r world leaders in tank power packs..Abrams tank's locally built gas turbine engine failed in gulf war's sandy conditions making them to source diesel engines from MTU, now acquired by Rolls Royce power systems....it took MTU 12 years of r&d to arrive at this current power pack in production...no easy task for india to emulate..even USA doesn't hv indigenous power pack for Der MBT....keep in mind dat MTU was formulated in 1909..they were building diesel engines for zeplin in ww2..Der r only 3 countries with this technology...dats y CVRDE s cautious in the design stage...dey want the design to be validated first by an external consultant... give them some time to realise the product.....

Met a guy whose company in Chennai was supplying engine parts to MTU..so we do hv some amount of tank diesel engine parts industrial ecosystem in place in India....we lack an indigenous design....give them some time the labs are doing good work..

3 to 3.5 ton reduction s actually good considering d amount of goods put in the mark 2 which led to weight increase in first place.the tank that was placed for the static display had ballast weight on the turret, when enquired i found dey were testing an all electric power drive instead of the existing hydraulic drive whereby weight reduction was by 35% n the same tank was placed for static display....n remember the weight reduction s a work in progress...
Thank a ton mate,that was some good insight.So do they still working on weight reduction if yes whats their target?

S.Balaji

Country flag
Thank a ton mate,that was some good insight.So do they still working on weight reduction if yes whats their target?
They are tight lipped on the achievable weight reduction.....It s still a work in progress so more weight reduction can be expected..but will it reach 60 tons...no answeres for that...my hunch is if 60 tones can be achieved they would have said so confidently...one team member lamented quoting the oft quoted Israeli praise calling Arjun the desert ferrari....user shifted the goal posts in clgm range also, no happy faces there as Arjun mk 2 doesn't have a middle to test now..

New threads

Articles