AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Tridev123

Country flag
I just read Pakistan has inducted a new Awacs from Saab
They have nine awacs to cover land airspave of one quarter of ours with half the no's of combat planes
We had just five

For god's sake Pakistan is bankrupt
How incompetent are the Indians air force and ministry of defense
Yes,it does not look good.
But my guess is that the Government does not want any more imports of AWACS aircraft. Prepared to wait for some time to get an all Indian(not 100% indigenous because some electronic components and subsystems will still be imported) AWACS fleet.

But funny thing is that the Pakistani AWACS will light up like a Christmas tree on the S400 radar screen. And in the 40N6E missile we have a system which can target their AWACS from nearly 400 kms away. They may not be willing to risk an high value asset by bringing it close to the Indian border.

It is possible that their AWACS may only operate with severe limitations. Cannot take full advantage of their large number of AWACS.

But its a no brainer.We certainly need more AWACS.
ASAP.

Aniruddha Mulay

They have nine awacs to cover land airspave of one quarter of ours with half the no's of combat planes
We had just five

Bruh, 6 Netra Mk2 based on ex-AI A320 aircraft have already been ordered back in Sept 2021.
On top of that, IAF is already scowering the used market for ERJ-145 airframes for conversion to Netra Mk1A.
That's 12 airframes in total, adding to the existing 6 (3 Phalcon + 3 Netra Mk1).

Design, development and fabrication of these systems takes time, not going to happen overnight.
Also it's not the case that the Global Arms market has any spare AWACS to lend to the IAF.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Porkies put more emphasis on awacs than us because they were trained by American tactics while we inclined more on Soviet tactics hence we are investing more heavily in Sam systems. We entered late into awacs game but now we are going full speed.

Btw as Ukraine has shown modern battlefield will render older awacs obsolete. Porkies have found their Chinese awacs useless.

In future awacs will have to remain 300-400 km away from active battlefield and assets in battlefield jets or UAVs will have to rely on their on battlefield information.

mamamia12

We had just five

Given how narrow the envelope of engagement is between Pakistan and India due to landscape and range, I doubt extra AEWACS bring any proportional extra capability to their PAF. Ours program is right on track and no need to worry.

The Maverick

Country flag
Given how narrow the envelope of engagement is between Pakistan and India due to landscape and range, I doubt extra AEWACS bring any proportional extra capability to their PAF. Ours program is right on track and no need to worry.

I disagree
Swift resort in 2019 the PAF was better aware of the situation in real time hostile environment over us Indians
One reason was Awacs
The other reason better jammers and longer bvrs
We were found wanting

I say it again the Indian air force is too slow to embrace modern war fighting doctrine especially NATO standard

PAF is far ahead with fraction of our resources

The Maverick

Country flag
We are naked Infront of the j20 fifth gen threat
And no urgency to bridge the gap
Just the same old Hindi pace chalet hai
Now PAF already discussing fifth gen induction next five years
Mean time we have mmrca going on for 10.years

The Maverick

Country flag
I get geopolitics
But if we have flirted with USA buy acquiring Globemasters posideons engines for Tejas c130 and chinnoks and others ....why not F35 ...
RIGHT NOW we are outnumbered and outgunned
We need F35 now even forty planes will make Plaaf shit their pantsx
We can't be naked for 15 years Plaaf will be hitting sixth gen by then
And god help us if Pak follow up J10 with J31

brat4

Country flag
the moment we get the f35, which in itself a big big purchase in terms of $$, our import lobby will kill whatever we have going for AMCA
although i would have liked the AMCA to come in by 2030, it would still be benefecial if we go through to AMCA and 5th gen ourselves and take our time to build it.
the pressure of china and pak getting 5th gen should make us scamper to speed up AMCA - not look at pak-fa or f35.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Let me tell you something.
F35 still doesn't have FOC which means it's not ready for combat operations according to us airforce. Despite massive production f35 is still a work in progress and not a mature fighter jet.

Now you can imagine how ready in j20.

The world of defence hardware moves very slowly even for usa. The more you read the more realty beacons.

The Maverick

Country flag
You expect me to take that as gospel.

Are you kidding me

F35 is operational in dozen air forces

It's serving for over a decade

What chance have we Tejas against j20

SKC

Country flag
F35 still doesn't have FOC which means it's not ready for combat operations according to us airforce. Despite massive production f35 is still a work in progress and not a mature fighter jet.

The world of defence hardware moves very slowly even for usa. The more you read the more realty beacons.
More than 965 F-35s have been delivered and more than 430,000 sorties completed.
Less than 10 accidents and only 1 Pilot fatality so far in last 17-18 years since its production started.

These numbers are from Aug-Sep last year.

IndianHawk

Country flag
You expect me to take that as gospel.

Are you kidding me

F35 is operational in dozen air forces

It's serving for over a decade

What chance have we Tejas against j20
I'm just saying what us airforce has officially stated. You can take it as you wish.

Regarding j20 if the Chinese are confident of it and we have no answer to it I'm pretty sure Chinese will take over arunachal in few years. Let's see if that actually happens.

IndianHawk

Country flag
More than 965 F-35s have been delivered and more than 430,000 sorties completed.
Less than 10 accidents and only 1 Pilot fatality so far in last 17-18 years since its production started.

They are still discovering issues with jet. It's still not mature enough. Sortie rate is too low for a frontline flighter and they are falling despite more jets being added .

Lots of f35 of initial batches had premature cracking on airframe.

Availability rates are down and repair time is more than double of what was promised.

This new engine trouble means engine will have to be upgraded/ changed much much before original plan and costs will run into billions.

A program insider said “There’s a variety of reasons why they can’t get these aircraft up in the air as often as they would like,” Maurer said. “And that’s really frustrating from a taxpayer perspective for something that already costs hundreds of millions of dollars a year; cost many, many multiple billions already; and will cost nearly $2 trillion over the life cycle of the program.”

Availability is only 55% that too when majority of f35 are at their home bases. It would go down further if forward deployed.

If it goes supersonic its tail section cracks.

This is all in public domain. Which means problems are generally much much worse as only the tip of iceberg is disclosed.

I guess folks can do their own research and come to their own conclusions.

My last on this .

SKC

Country flag

They are still discovering issues with jet. It's still not mature enough. Sortie rate is too low for a frontline flighter and they are falling despite more jets being added .

Lots of f35 of initial batches had premature cracking on airframe.

Availability rates are down and repair time is more than double of what was promised.

This new engine trouble means engine will have to be upgraded/ changed much much before original plan and costs will run into billions.

A program insider said “There’s a variety of reasons why they can’t get these aircraft up in the air as often as they would like,” Maurer said. “And that’s really frustrating from a taxpayer perspective for something that already costs hundreds of millions of dollars a year; cost many, many multiple billions already; and will cost nearly $2 trillion over the life cycle of the program.”

Availability is only 55% that too when majority of f35 are at their home bases. It would go down further if forward deployed.

If it goes supersonic its tail section cracks.

This is all in public domain. Which means problems are generally much much worse as only the tip of iceberg is disclosed.

I guess folks can do their own research and come to their own conclusions.

My last on this .
You are not ready to listen then no point discussing anything with you. Keep living in your fantasy world.

spacemarine2023

Country flag

F-35 is a solid platform… no doubt about that…
You will find all fighters bring up issues with number of cumulative hours .. with thousand plus F-35 flying now all these issues come up early and corrected early…
Rafales, Gripens of the world has no such luxury

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Peak copium.
They are still discovering issues with jet. It's still not mature enough. Sortie rate is too low for a frontline fighter and they are falling despite more jets being added .
Yet it's more advanced and capable than any other jet ever made. The sheer electronic capability of each and every single F-35 gives it the edge. Of course it has issues, they are trying to make it have the same availability rate as a Block 70 F-16. Arguing about "low sortie" rates is nonsense when the USAF alone will field over 1000 of these. Even by your bullshit availability metrics, they USAF would still have over 500 F-35s ready at any given time. Any other issues mentioned, are encountered by all fighters sooner or later during their life cycle and they are patched out. Never mistake the Americans claiming "the F-35 isn't at it's full potential" as a sign of weakness. This ''weak" fighter is already leaps ahead of every other fighter program. Americans just want to squeeze out more from this platform and they keep fiddling with it.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Peak copium.

Yet it's more advanced and capable than any other jet ever made. The sheer electronic capability of each and every single F-35 gives it the edge. Of course it has issues, they are trying to make it have the same availability rate as a Block 70 F-16. Arguing about "low sortie" rates is nonsense when the USAF alone will field over 1000 of these. Even by your bullshit availability metrics, they USAF would still have over 500 F-35s ready at any given time. Any other issues mentioned, are encountered by all fighters sooner or later during their life cycle and they are patched out. Never mistake the Americans claiming "the F-35 isn't at it's full potential" as a sign of weakness. This ''weak" fighter is already leaps ahead of every other fighter program. Americans just want to squeeze out more from this platform and they keep fiddling with it.
Lmao. The engineers are admitting that the cooling system is taking much power than what it was designed for. For any engineering system it's a massive facepalm movement .

But this platform now is not focused on technical aspects. Engineers are not posting here anymore it seems.
Technical data is being termed bullshit. Okay than its us airforce which is bullshiting not me.

Anyway I must take break from this forum for a while again. I hope you don't design anything ever in your life otherwise complete engineering failures will be deemed ok by you because it's cool. 😂

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Lmao. The engineers are admitting that the cooling system is taking much power than what it was designed for. For any engineering system it's a massive facepalm movement .

But this platform now is not focused on technical aspects. Engineers are not posting here anymore it seems.
Technical data is being termed bullshit. Okay than its us airforce which is bullshiting not me.

Anyway I must take break from this forum for a while again. I hope you don't design anything ever in your life otherwise complete engineering failures will be deemed ok by you because it's cool. 😂
1706682738244.png

Reactions: SKC

shade

Country flag
I get geopolitics
But if we have flirted with USA buy acquiring Globemasters posideons engines for Tejas c130 and chinnoks and others ....why not F35 ...

RIGHT NOW we are outnumbered and outgunned
>Peace-fool transport aircraft, surveillance drones and GE engines which won't actually materialize
is the same as
>Crown Jewel high-tech Stealth Fighter sold only to cockless vassal nations, not even oily or gassy Arab Sheikhdoms with a lot of dinars to spend on shiny toys.

You don't get geopolitcs my dude, nor do you get the "customer experience" after buying some US maal that will shoot at our enemies, just read up on the INS Jalashwa.

It's another thing they'd want you to buy some 70s vintage maal like F16s first, some Patriots and junk S400 systems and even then it would just be a maybe we'll sell you some F35s

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles