Alexander the Great Invades India

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
A democracy is as good as the people running it. If a part of your populace is illterate, lacking awareness, poor and struggling to satisfy fundamental needs of life - it will not give a damn to its performance in the country's democratic processes.
At first it will not participate. Even if it does, there would be accute desperation and short sightedness in the decision. Later they will reap the results of the wrong seeds they sow. This vicious circle has always kept India hampered from revolutionary development.
But with the thought of western / eastern or any other version of democracy having existed in the world at any point of time - secularism comes ot my mind.
The ideas of secularism also, aren't completely overlapping between the west and at least India I know. Not sure about the rest.

Regards,
Virendra

AOE

That's probably true. It's also completely irrelevant.
Not at all, the point was raised that democracy is a western idea in its origins, and you weakly pointed to small instances in other cultures where flickers of democracy/capitalism occurred. Overall the first major attempt happened in the west.

Yes, Western democracy originated in the West. What a concept.
Indeed. ;)

Other cultures had their own successful political systems, including democratic ones, that thrived completely independent of Western influence. All because Australian history textbooks don't tell you about the Iroquois Confederation or South Indian sangams doesn't mean that other cultures are incapable of developing their own concepts of democracy and citzen rights. It's just another symptom of one-sidedness and general ignorance.
Did I say they weren't capable? No. Australian history classes (which I have had during highschool) focus more on the famous or popular aspects of history, such as Rome, Greece, Egypt, Persia, China, etc...

It is very likely that democracy would have continued in other parts of the world, even if there wasn't such a vast Western influence. In many cases, the West was responsible for the destruction of cultures that had developed or were developing proto-democracies. The destruction of the Iroqouis Confederation at the hands of American troops in the 1780s is a case in point. It is truly sad that so many great cultures have perished in the Age of Colonialism and Imperialism. Their loss is also our loss, as it means far less diversity of ideas today, and far more one-sidedness.
Yet again, for the half a dozenth time; history for any culture or side is never perfect, but this is still besides the point. The ability to spread democracy, science, capitalism, and similar ideas should not end because of a few mistakes by a few individuals or groups. If you were to buy that rhetoric for what it's worth, then India should also never have a say in other cultures as it too has its own evils both past and present.

There is nothing wrong with modern science, democracy, or free trade. Most cultures in the world have already adopted them, often with their own unique interpretations. The real problem is two-fold. The first, is when the West wages wars with the laughable rationale of "spreading these values", as if war is an effective means of spreading anything besides hate, and as if the wars are motivated by some moral sentiment rather than realistic, strategic goals.
So does that logic extend to all of Indias wars, both past and present? lol

So if a democracy wages a war, its all about hate and poor rationalisms, but if a dictatorship, or non-western country does; it's justifiable or about something completely different. What a very skewed way of thinking.

The second is when they enforce their own interpretations of these concepts on foreign cultures, and expect such foreign interpretations to be accepted by the locals. A good current example is in Afghanistan; it is simply impossible for Western-style government and economics to work there, because the cultural differences are too great. In order to achieve any sort of lasting peace, there needs to be an Afghan democracy, with an Afghan economy, with Afghan science and industry. Western ideals can contribute to this, of course, but they cannot fundamentally define how Afghanistan choses to run their own country.
Blame the UN for the poorly set up system there, they are the reason for the corruption. Also what exactly is 'Afghan science'?

Spare me the moralistic hyperbole.
:rotfl:

Spare me the moral and cultural relativistic hyperbole.

If you cannot acknowledge a problem for what it is, then you have a poor grasp of history and the subsequent solution to their problems. Islamic extremism comes from their own scripture, and they hate Hindus as much as they hate Jews, Christians, Atheists, and anybody outside their faith and culture.

Indeed. Western culture is the superior culture, and all others are inferior. The world would be a much better place if we all became Westerners.

The famous poem "White Man's Burden" by Rudyard Kipling comes to mind. How silly of me to question the vital role that Westerners have played in civilizing the world. Without Westerners, the world would be full of subhuman barbarians, incapable of human reasoning and thought. Kipling would be proud to know that his ideals live on, even into the 21st century.
More mindless and empty rhetoric, which seeks to beat around the bush and to saddle me with another straw man position.

Hate is not an integral part of any culture. Hate-mongering is the result of various groups pursuing their own agendas. Most Muslims do not hate the rest of the world, Western propaganda notwithstanding. There is plenty of hate-mongering that takes place in the West as well, but Western culture as a whole cannot be blamed for that.
Hate is not a part of any culture? :rotfl:

...And you think I have an ignorant view of history. Go read the Quran, and you will see for yourself why many Muslim extremists scream in delight at the idea of those outside their faith roasting in hell forever, indeed they are no better than those Christians who do the same; in fact, they're far worse. Answer me this civfanatic; out of all of the religions today that are in conflict with one another, who is statistically causing or taking part in the most violence? Which religion is taking part in more acts of terrorism than any other? The answer is ultimately Islam, no matter how much you want to blame everything on the west.

I have also stated, in the past, that no culture has the right to oppress or enforce their own customs on another culture, and I stand by that. What cultures do among themselves is of no concern to me.
Yet you have an incredibly naive, one-sided view on what kinds of cultures actually commit violence and oppression on others. You blame everything on the west, even though most acts of terrorism today, including the recent one in Mumbai; has a distinct common religious theme to it.

I am not ignoring the Islamic atrocities in India. Every Indian with a basic knowledge of history knows about them. I am a direct descendant of the kings and generals of the Kakatiya and Rachakonda Kingdoms, who fought against the Islamic invaders in this part of India. My caste, the Velamas, formed the bulk of the armies that resisted them. I am well aware of the destruction that was wrought, the people that perished, and the heroes that laid down their lives. After that, we fought against the Europeans and their native allies, especially the French and their influence in the Circars. The stories and poems of our caste's military history are a very important part of our tradition, even today. I assure you that I am much more aware of India's history that you are.
Yet you fail to note that in Islamic written sources on the subject, they glorified the killing, enslavement, and destruction of Hindu/Buddhist people, their culture, and places of worship. Bringing up such a point is almost taboo in Indian history, but it is essentially true. Being descendant of anything doesn't save you from being flat out wrong.

The number of 60 million dead comes from numerous sources, and is generally considered to be a low estimate only. These are not very ancient happenings, so there is an abundance of primary evidence in the form of British accounts. More specific sources (that mostly rely on primary British and Indian evidence anyway) include the Economic History of India by T. Roy, Aspects of British Rule in India by S. Bose, and Late Victorian Holocausts: The Making of the Third World by Mike Davis. There are many other sources as well. This is a fairly well-researched and established subject.
There were numerous famines over the last 1000 years in India, and none of them (whether they be under British, Mughal, or Indian rule) surpassed the level of deaths in the famines in Mao Tse Tungs China, which is officially the worst in human history. To blame them all from the British and to give a varying number shows already the dubiousness of the claim, especially since at that kind of rate (added on to other famines), there would be a tiny, if non-existent Indian population today; but I will try to get a copy of these books for further reading.

Your need to downplay the atrocities of your criminal ancestors (pun intended) is understandable, but it is unfortunate that it comes at the expense of objective reasoning.
Your liberal generosity of throwing out strawman arguments to people who happen to disagree with you is staggering, but I suppose mindless rhetoric is always a populist thing to do, especially given the context. I do not downplay the deaths of any regime, only highlight that the rationalization and depravity of some were worse than others.

As far as I know, no Indian here has blamed the British for corruption, the caste system, debt bondage, human trafficking, or religious sectarianism. The British can, however be attributed to the general impoverishment and deindustrialization of India, which is a far more devastating problem than all the above put together, mainly because impoverishment itself results in exacerbation of existing problems. I disagree with my Prime Minister on several points, but on this one we are in full agreement:
De-industrialization seems a bit far-fetched, especially since many roads/railway stations were built by the British themselves in India, and no I was not saying that people here specifically blamed the British for those specific points; I was saying that they were in habit of blaming the British for everything wrong with the world, which would include India. That was the point, stop twisting it and putting words in my mouth.

You're the one arguing that the West has some kind of "moral precept" when it invades half the world, and not just strategic interests like everyone else. So much for "realistic approach" :pound:
Another sweeping statement that does not denote a specific conflict for discussion, but I guess simple placards like the above will amuse anyone.

Democracy will occur spontaneously. I have much more faith in the power of the average protestor to bring about political change than in American bombs and doublespeak. The events of this year, which saw two Western-backed dictatorships (Egypt and Tunisia) toppled by the people, support my theory.
Yes, and the west allowed them to disintegrate, a fundamental point you overlook. Another point this shows is your exaggeration on the west going after resources or propping up dictators is not as you seem to think, on that very point since those dictatorships were pro-western.

Weak excuse, weak reasoning. The U.N. is doing a much better job in Congo, comparatively, than the NATO forces are doing in Afghanistan. All one has to do is compare the Congo of today with the Congo of ten or so years ago, to see that change, slow as it may be, is ocurring.
Weak dismissive remarks, weak response. That is the reality of the situation, whether you like to admit it or not. If the US is to bring democracy to anywhere, at least half the time it will have to defy or go against the UN to make it happen (including Bosnia and Kosovo). The UN may or may not be doing a good job there, but they bumbled on Rwanda, Sudan, Bosnia, Kosovo, and many other places that you seem to conveniently ignore.

As you may or may not know, India is one of the world's largest suppliers of troops to U.N. missions, and they have historically done an outstanding job. They are serving for real humanitarian purposes, and not for geopolitical purposes like NATO in Afghanistan.
That is good to hear, but that does not prove the UN itself to be a useful body or a fair one I might add, as the video I just put forward shows their bias and fumbling of many human rights issues across the globe. I'm proud though that many Indians have helped in bringing about peace to parts of the world.

Just 150 million? :pound: I thought that jumble of ramblings "The Black Book of Communism" gave a maximum figure of 100 million. Did 50 million people die since its publication? Why not just change the figure to 500 million, no one bothers to check the methodology anyway. It's all just the same, politicized crap.
Lol. The Black Book of Communism provides a conservative, mid-range estimate that does not include the 30 million that died from famine under the CCP, as well as other killings and famines under communist regimes that were not covered. That's why you get a different statistics range, but that doesn't not mean the data is inaccurate or exaggerative; in fact there are high estimate that do reach into the 200+ million category, but I prefer mid-range estimates to highs and lows.

Essentially, yes. The Americans could not win in Vietnam because of the Soviets. The Soviets could not win in Afghanistan because of the Americans. Equilibrium was achieved.
That's actually not true in either case, the Soviets had control over Afghanistan from start to finish during their invasion, it was economic and political collapse at home that led them to eventually leave. The Americans in Vietnam were winning on the ground (see Tet Offensive, Khe Sanh, Christmas Bombings, etc...), it was the media propaganda at home that made them withdraw from the war.

However, a mutipolar world would see far more equilibrium than a simple bipolar world (Cold War).
If China is another power in the polarity, then the outcome will be somewhat similar.

War between freedom and religious/communist tyranny? :pound: Please tell me you're kidding.

No such war exists, except in the minds of hallucinating neocons. The only wars are the wars between interests, which itself can take many forms. We already have an international body with a good basic layout in the form of the U.N., and the U.N. can be strengthened by adding countries like India and Brazil to the P5, which will give it a much broader representation of the world's population at the highest levels of decision-making.
If no such war exists, then what essentially is the difference between the communist powers, fascist powers, Islamist extremists, and democracies of any kind? What is evil in this context? I'm afraid this kind of thinking is the delusional ramblings of a moral relativist who fails to differentiate between two or more sides of a conflict.

Indeed, it would. Yugoslavia would have broken up anyway, due to its Civil War. Iraq was propped up by the Reagan administration in the first place as a counter to Iran, so it was merely a case of killing a pet gone wild. The Taliban would not have existed if it wasn't for American support to Pakistan and Saudi Arabia and their collective efforts to drive the Soviets from Afghanistan.
Iraq was propped up by the Reagan administration? :pound:

America supplied approximately 1% of the arms to Saddam Hussein, the USSR supplied around 57%. The Americans were such good allies that if I were a Baathist, I would consider tilting towards the Russians (which they eventually did, even after the Cold War ended).

Yugoslavia would not have collapsed, as the Serbians were beating the Bosnian and Albanian forces on the ground, it was not until NATO forces arrived that this changed, and the UN who arrived on the scene earlier adopted a policy of 'we wont attack unless fired upon first', so the Serbians simply slaughtered innocent civilians while UN troops watched and did nothing.

Yet again we have already had the argument over Afghanistan, and the Soviets and their PDPA friends proved to be the most violent of either side in the conflict, murdering 1 million+ people, and having 5 million+ refugees flee the country.

I might also add that no revolution or major government changed has ever happened in human history without the military or financial aid of another powerful state; which would counter your point that movements in any of these places would have toppled those regimes without American help. There are many Kurds and Iraqis who are very grateful for the US removing Baathism in Iraq, their only criticism was that we were 10 years late in doing so (which I would agree with them).

Lol, I never said that it would be a good thing for the Taliban to continue. But I certainly don't support American interventionism either. To be honest, I could care less whether the Taliban or America "wins" the war in Afghanistan. In the end, everything will be decided in Pakistan, another one of America's pets gone wild.
It is the simple logical conclusion of your argument; you said none of these interventions would have occurred if the USSR was still around, and you argue for a multi-polar world; so through deduction you implied that it was a good thing the Americans would have been unable to get rid of the Taliban. If that's not what you meant then you should clarify it, but I would never dream of implying such a thing if I were in your shoes.

I'm sure you expected Indians to be a blindly pro-Western lot when you joined this forum. I'm sure you've realized by now, that it is not the case. We are an independent-minded nation, unlike Australia which is essentially a puppet of the US and UK. I'm sorry if your experiences didn't match your expectations.
Oh please stop, you're making me laugh too hard. Not at all, I came here to see what the average view on various issues is and I find them to be very mixed, unlike you who seems to tar people with the same brush as you have done with Australians; who in my experience also have very different views. In my introduction thread I made it very clear that there were aspects of the war in Afghanistan I disagreed with, but because the Australians are on good terms with the Americans and British, you pander to stereotypes that border on the racist that I noticed pmaitra doing, and just goes to show you are a very biased person on more than one count; as well as your methods of reasoning are incredibly suspect, given the number of philosophical and logical fallacies you commit per response. Frankly I don't know if this is due to the fact you really do believe everything you say, or if you simply are desperately trying to save your reputation here, and both are sad. Stay rational civfanatic, and try not to let the emotions take hold of your arguments.

Last edited:

AOE

A democracy is as good as the people running it. If a part of your populace is illterate, lacking awareness, poor and struggling to satisfy fundamental needs of life - it will not give a damn to its performance in the country's democratic processes.
At first it will not participate. Even if it does, there would be accute desperation and short sightedness in the decision. Later they will reap the results of the wrong seeds they sow. This vicious circle has always kept India hampered from revolutionary development.
But with the thought of western / eastern or any other version of democracy having existed in the world at any point of time - secularism comes ot my mind.
The ideas of secularism also, aren't completely overlapping between the west and at least India I know. Not sure about the rest.

Regards,
Virendra
Matters of poverty have to do with the economic system, where as education more so has to do with combined economics and politics. If done properly, democracy and capitalism will alleviate those issues, but they take a considerable amount of time; you also have to factor in population size here for individual cases. Secularism is important to education as well in my opinion.

Indias problem for development is its own corruption, which has created the society you see today of extreme wealth and extreme poverty; like Russia. One step to changing this will be the emergence and growth of a middle-class, but it's not the only important change that needs to happen.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Not at all, the point was raised that democracy is a western idea in its origins, and you weakly pointed to small instances in other cultures where flickers of democracy/capitalism occurred. Overall the first major attempt happened in the west.
And why is that relevant? It doesn't matter who developed democracy "first". What matters is that other cultures developed their own political concepts independently, which is the whole point that I've been stressing.

The point was lost on you, not too surprising.

Note the adjective and object. Now, replace the adjective and object, while keeping the subject the same. Do you understand now?

Did I say they weren't capable?
Then why do you insist that the West is necessary to "spread democracy"?

Yet again, for the half a dozenth time; history for any culture or side is never perfect, but this is still besides the point. The ability to spread democracy, science, capitalism, and similar ideas should not end because of a few mistakes by a few individuals or groups. If you were to buy that rhetoric for what it's worth, then India should also never have a say in other cultures as it too has its own evils both past and present.
I am not the one proclaiming that India should invade half the world to spread "democracy" and "superior culture". You are the one proclaiming that the West should do so. Don't bring up completely irrelevant things.

If India was as murderous as the West was throughout its history, I would be equally critical of India as well.

So does that logic extend to all of Indias wars, both past and present? lol

So if a democracy wages a war, its all about hate and poor rationalisms, but if a dictatorship, or non-western country does; it's justifiable or about something completely different. What a very skewed way of thinking.
First of all, India was not the aggressor in any of its modern conflicts, so your logic is flawed, as usual.

Secondly, India has never disguised its rationale for fighting wars under moralistic junk as the West has.

It would be appreciated if you stop bringing up completely irrelevant things, like comparing Western actions to Indian actions. That itself is an insult to India.

Blame the UN for the poorly set up system there, they are the reason for the corruption.
LOL, blame the UN for everything :pound: Try an original line of thinking. Are you really naive enough to believe that the UN is responsible for the corruption of the Karzai regime? :pound:

If you cannot acknowledge a problem for what it is, then you have a poor grasp of history and the subsequent solution to their problems. Islamic extremism comes from their own scripture, and they hate Hindus as much as they hate Jews, Christians, Atheists, and anybody outside their faith and culture.
Indeed, Islamic fundamentalism is a very big problem in the world. Western interventionism, self-righteousness, and global predominance is a pretty big problem too.

More mindless and empty rhetoric, which seeks to beat around the bush and to saddle me with another straw man position.
There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.

Hate is not a part of any culture? :rotfl:
No, it is not. Arabs are not inherently hateful. Afghans are not inherently hateful. Iranians are not inherently hateful.

Only ignorant people label entire cultures based on the extremism of a minority.

Yet you have an incredibly naive, one-sided view on what kinds of cultures actually commit violence and oppression on others. You blame everything on the west, even though most acts of terrorism today, including the recent one in Mumbai; has a distinct common religious theme to it.
I am not denying Islamic acts of genocide and terrorism. I am not downplaying Islamic acts of genocide or terrorism.

I'm not sure why you're telling me all this, as I've never argued against it.

Yet you fail to note that in Islamic written sources on the subject, they glorified the killing, enslavement, and destruction of Hindu/Buddhist people, their culture, and places of worship. Bringing up such a point is almost taboo in Indian history, but it is essentially true.
Yes they did. I am well aware. Again, not sure why you're telling me this.

There were numerous famines over the last 1000 years in India, and none of them (whether they be under British, Mughal, or Indian rule) surpassed the level of deaths in the famines in Mao Tse Tungs China, which is officially the worst in human history.
:pound::pound::pound:

I literally almost died from laughing. What was the point of bringing up Mao Zedong and the people that died under his rule? Are you so insecure about the actions of your ancestors and their crimes against humanity, that you must bring up the crimes of other people to make yourself feel better? How pathetic.

Since British rule ended, there has not been a single major famine in India. The last major famine in India was the Bengal Famine of 1943, in which over 5 million people died due to British policies. Even at conservative estimates, the number of people who died under the British Raj rivaled those that died under Mao.

It is also accepted by mainstream historians that the famines before British rule were nowhere near the same scale as those that occurred during British rule, because the latter were the result of devastating economic and trade policies, with no precedent in India.

To blame them all from the British and to give a varying number shows already the dubiousness of the claim, especially since at that kind of rate (added on to other famines), there would be a tiny, if non-existent Indian population today; but I will try to get a copy of these books for further reading.
You really are special, aren't you?

According to that Rummel guy you love quoting, over 85 million Soviets died from war and "democide" from 1920 to 1950. The Soviet population in the 1920s was roughly the same as the Indian population in the 19th century (150 million). According to you, it is perfectly reasonable for the Soviet Union to lose half its population over three decades, and yet still somehow emerge as a superpower by 1950, with a population of close to 200 million. Okay.

But now, it is dubious that 60 million Indians died between 1770 and 1943 (that's 173 years, over twice as long as the entire existence of the Soviet Union), even though the birth rates of Indians at that time were much higher than that of Soviets in any period.

Why such discrepancy in the way the two scenarios are viewed? Oh yes, your ancestors were involved in the second case, and they could NEVER commit genocide on the same scale as the big, bad Soviet Commies.

My apologies.

I do not downplay the deaths of any regime, only highlight that the rationalization and depravity of some were worse than others.
Indeed, the British Raj was far worse for India than the Ghaznavids, Delhi Sultanate, and Aurangzeb combined. That is agreed on by many Indians.

Yes, and the west allowed them to disintegrate, a fundamental point you overlook.
Is this your justification? :pound:

The West did not bring democracy to North Africa. The North Africans obtained it themselves. If the West intervened, it would not only greatly increase anti-Western sentiment throughout the region, but also further destablilize the region.

Weak dismissive remarks, weak response. That is the reality of the situation, whether you like to admit it or not. If the US is to bring democracy to anywhere, at least half the time it will have to defy or go against the UN to make it happen (including Bosnia and Kosovo). The UN may or may not be doing a good job there, but they bumbled on Rwanda, Sudan, Bosnia, Kosovo, and many other places that you seem to conveniently ignore.
I trust the UN far more than I do the US. Whether it be Rwanda, Sudan, Bosnia, Kosovo, or any other place, I would much rather prefer an international organization running the show than a single superpower and its lackeys.

That is good to hear, but that does not prove the UN itself to be a useful body or a fair one I might add, as the video I just put forward shows their bias and fumbling of many human rights issues across the globe.
The UN will only be as effective as the nations that constitute its power. Which is yet another reason why a multipolar world must come about.

Lol. The Black Book of Communism provides a conservative, mid-range estimate that does not include the 30 million that died from famine under the CCP, as well as other killings and famines under communist regimes that were not covered. That's why you get a different statistics range, but that doesn't not mean the data is inaccurate or exaggerative; in fact there are high estimate that do reach into the 200+ million category, but I prefer mid-range estimates to highs and lows.

Allow me to answer with your own words:

to give a varying number shows already the dubiousness of the claim
Indeed, I have little to no trust in such statistics that have been highly politicized.

That's actually not true in either case, the Soviets had control over Afghanistan from start to finish during their invasion, it was economic and political collapse at home that led them to eventually leave. The Americans in Vietnam were winning on the ground (see Tet Offensive, Khe Sanh, Christmas Bombings, etc...), it was the media propaganda at home that made them withdraw from the war.
After the war, there was reported to be a conservation between a North Vietnamese colonel and an American lieutenant.

The American said, "You know, we never lost a single battle during the war".

The North Vietnamese colonel thinks for a moment, and then replies, "That is true. But it is also completely irrelevant".

The Communist military strategy during the war made it impossible for the Americans to win. That was apparent from an early stage.

If no such war exists, then what essentially is the difference between the communist powers, fascist powers, Islamist extremists, and democracies of any kind? What is evil in this context? I'm afraid this kind of thinking is the delusional ramblings of a moral relativist who fails to differentiate between two or more sides of a conflict.
Definitions of "good" and "evil" are best left to moralists who think in a simplistic black-and-white manner. I'd rather not engage in the same activity.

As far as foreign policy and geopolitics go, there is no difference between communist, fascist, Islamist, and democratic nations. All are potential allies, and all are potential enemies.

Iraq was propped up by the Reagan administration? :pound:
Yes.

In addition to conventional military equipment, numerous chemical and biological weapons such as anthrax were supplied. These same weapons were later used against Iranian civilians, as well as the Kurds.

"Spreading democracy" at its finest :pound:

Yugoslavia would not have collapsed, as the Serbians were beating the Bosnian and Albanian forces on the ground, it was not until NATO forces arrived that this changed, and the UN who arrived on the scene earlier adopted a policy of 'we wont attack unless fired upon first', so the Serbians simply slaughtered innocent civilians while UN troops watched and did nothing.
Serbia was already losing. Slovenia and Croatia had both successfully seceded before foreign intervention. Bosnia would have seceded as well.

As for the Albanians, I don't support their position during the war, but that's an entirely different story and irrelevant to this discussion.

Yet again we have already had the argument over Afghanistan, and the Soviets and their PDPA friends proved to be the most violent of either side in the conflict, murdering 1 million+ people, and having 5 million+ refugees flee the country.
I would much rather have the Soviets and PDPA rule Afghanistan than the Taliban.

I might also add that no revolution or major government changed has ever happened in human history without the military or financial aid of another powerful state
Wrong. There are numerous cases where this is not true. A good example is the Indian independence movement, where millions of Indians peacefully overthrew the British regime with virtually no foreign aid whatsoever.

It is the simple logical conclusion of your argument; you said none of these interventions would have occurred if the USSR was still around, and you argue for a multi-polar world; so through deduction you implied that it was a good thing the Americans would have been unable to get rid of the Taliban. If that's not what you meant then you should clarify it, but I would never dream of implying such a thing if I were in your shoes.
If the USSR was still around, Afghanistan would not be ruled by the Taliban, or have anywhere near the same level of fundamentalism. That much is certain.

you pander to stereotypes that border on the racist that I noticed pmaitra doing, and just goes to show you are a very biased person on more than one count
What is racist? Calling Australians the descendants of criminals? Is it not true that Australia was founded primarily as a penal colony, and that the first white colonists in Australia were convicts? Didn't you state yourself, in a seperate thread, that your ancestors were convicts from Britain and Ireland?

Then what is racist in calling Australians the descendants of criminals? I am merely stating a well-known fact.

as well as your methods of reasoning are incredibly suspect, given the number of philosophical and logical fallacies you commit per response.
I was taught that philosophy is subjective, and logic is objective. I guess they teach the opposite in kangaroo land.

Frankly I don't know if this is due to the fact you really do believe everything you say, or if you simply are desperately trying to save your reputation here, and both are sad.
I believe in everything I say, yes. I am sure you do too.

I don't need to save my "reputation" here. Quite frankly, I have no idea what my "reputation" here is. I just post what I believe in, and let others post what they believe in. Apparently, people like what I believe in, because they keep thanking my posts in this thread.

Stay rational civfanatic, and try not to let the emotions take hold of your arguments.
Speak for yourself.

Last edited:

AOE

And why is that relevant? It doesn't matter who developed democracy "first". What matters is that other cultures developed their own political concepts independently, which is the whole point that I've been stressing.
You argued the point about its origins, and I presented the obvious counter-argument you ignored. The first major democratic movement happened in the west, and all other movements in part are either similar in concept, or inspired by those movements.

The point was lost on you, not too surprising.

Note the adjective and object. Now, replace the adjective and object, while keeping the subject the same. Do you understand now?
I think you misunderstood my response, yet again. Note the sarcasm.

Then why do you insist that the West is necessary to "spread democracy"?
I think I've already made the point clear on this one, but out of all the powers of the world at present; the US has on average brought about more democracies in the world than any other power both past and present, and I am grateful for the fact they have done that, rather than act like a bunch of isolationists and stick their heads in the sand.

I am not the one proclaiming that India should invade half the world to spread "democracy" and "superior culture". You are the one proclaiming that the West should do so. Don't bring up completely irrelevant things.

If India was as murderous as the West was throughout its history, I would be equally critical of India as well.
First of all, India was not the aggressor in any of its modern conflicts, so your logic is flawed, as usual.

Secondly, India has never disguised its rationale for fighting wars under moralistic junk as the West has.

It would be appreciated if you stop bringing up completely irrelevant things, like comparing Western actions to Indian actions. That itself is an insult to India.
Unsurprisingly you missed the point in all of these responses, I am saying that if you buy into such defeatist nonsense; then India should also not intervene or have a say in any other cultures either because the same rhetoric you used can be applied to them on the points of racism, corruption, religious sectarianism, etc... I don't buy that kind of logic in any case.

LOL, blame the UN for everything :pound: Try an original line of thinking. Are you really naive enough to believe that the UN is responsible for the corruption of the Karzai regime? :pound:
Christopher Hitchens, a respected political commentator and journalist who was there at the time could have told you that one.

I am not denying Islamic acts of genocide and terrorism. I am not downplaying Islamic acts of genocide or terrorism.
Indeed, Islamic fundamentalism is a very big problem in the world. Western interventionism, self-righteousness, and global predominance is a pretty big problem too.
Yes they did. I am well aware. Again, not sure why you're telling me this.
...And there you have it ladies and gentleman, he almost bordered on gaining a clue; but the clouds settled in again.

I'm not sure why you're telling me all this, as I've never argued against it.
You are arguing that all cultures are equal, and that no culture has hateful aspects to it. This is not true for plenty of reasons, and if the worlds cultures were truly equal and non-violent; then there would be no war today, no communism, no fascism, no Islamism, no religious extremism, and probably no religion in general either.

There's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade.
:rotfl:

The day you call a spade a spade will be the day that people stop buying into the idiocy and moral vacuum that is the UN, and its track record of vetoing everything democratic powers try to do, and its complicity, corruption, and mishandling of multiple conflicts in the past. The UN cannot be relied on alone, or in general to end human rights abuses, genocide, tyranny, or any of the other major problems facing the world today.

No, it is not. Arabs are not inherently hateful. Afghans are not inherently hateful. Iranians are not inherently hateful.

Only ignorant people label entire cultures based on the extremism of a minority.
For the second time, read the quran; then come back and tell me if you call a spade a spade. That book explicitly tells you that polytheism/paganism is evil, that it should be erradicated, which would include that of Hinduism. Not very hateful at all I see. :pound: This is before we get to the hellfire passages, justifications/conditions of slavery, killing of infidels/apostates, etc...

I literally almost died from laughing. What was the point of bringing up Mao Zedong and the people that died under his rule? Are you so insecure about the actions of your ancestors and their crimes against humanity, that you must bring up the crimes of other people to make yourself feel better? How pathetic.

Since British rule ended, there has not been a single major famine in India. The last major famine in India was the Bengal Famine of 1943, in which over 5 million people died due to British policies. Even at conservative estimates, the number of people who died under the British Raj rivaled those that died under Mao.

It is also accepted by mainstream historians that the famines before British rule were nowhere near the same scale as those that occurred during British rule, because the latter were the result of devastating economic and trade policies, with no precedent in India.
Not insecure at all, but if your claim that 60-80 million died would mean it would be the largest famine, in reality these numbers seem exaggerated or inflated. The problem with these numbers is that when I go through each individual famine over Indias history, there were already at least 3-4 that happened prior to British rule, and one that happened after in the 1960s and 70s in Bihar; so the argument that all of the famines happened under colonialism is incorrect. Also some of the famines that are attributive to colonial rule such as the Chalissa, Skull, and Agra famines (which combined claimed the lives of tens of millions of Indians) all happened prior to the British assuming complete control of India in 1857, and were largely due to El-Nino/Nina environmental and weather effects that played a part in the famines occurring. Unless you're going to argue that the British had full knowledge of climate change/global warming prior to the 20th century, and could control the weather somehow; the logic behind these arguments already seem flawed. This isn't to say the British didn't cause famine through their policies, but the numbers are inflated, and the rationalization itself is suspect.

You really are special, aren't you?

According to that Rummel guy you love quoting, over 85 million Soviets died from war and "democide" from 1920 to 1950. The Soviet population in the 1920s was roughly the same as the Indian population in the 19th century (150 million). According to you, it is perfectly reasonable for the Soviet Union to lose half its population over three decades, and yet still somehow emerge as a superpower by 1950, with a population of close to 200 million. Okay.

But now, it is dubious that 60 million Indians died between 1770 and 1943 (that's 173 years, over twice as long as the entire existence of the Soviet Union), even though the birth rates of Indians at that time were much higher than that of Soviets in any period.

Why such discrepancy in the way the two scenarios are viewed? Oh yes, your ancestors were involved in the second case, and they could NEVER commit genocide on the same scale as the big, bad Soviet Commies.

My apologies.
Allow me to answer with your own words:

Indeed, I have little to no trust in such statistics that have been highly politicized.
:pound:

As you always like to say, apples and oranges; you are comparing unlike things. Rudolph Rummel argues that 40-45 million people died under Stalin between the early 1920s, and the early 1950s, approximately 30 years; not 85 million. Here is a graph from his website of what percentage the state killed:

As for your argument that the population of the Soviet Union increased, well no shit Sherlock, that's because by the end of the 1940s; the Soviets had annexed nearly all of Eastern Europe which generally increased their total population. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out, and in no way does this mean that the numbers cited for Soviet mass murder are false.

Indeed, the British Raj was far worse for India than the Ghaznavids, Delhi Sultanate, and Aurangzeb combined. That is agreed on by many Indians.
The conclusion you draw is speculative and argument ad populum, hardly a convincing one.

Is this your justification?

The West did not bring democracy to North Africa. The North Africans obtained it themselves. If the West intervened, it would not only greatly increase anti-Western sentiment throughout the region, but also further destablilize the region.
LOL. North Africa originally had no democracy, and Hosni Mubarak was asked to step down. I am glad that the Arabs there want change, but you ignore evidence that is contrarian to your view on this subject. If the west was so determined for resources and dictators, it would not let two of these regimes to collapse; they would have intervened militarily to stop it. Instead they have established a no-fly zone over Libya, a regime that is preventing change and democracy to occur, and yet again the argument here for doing so is a moral one.

I trust the UN far more than I do the US. Whether it be Rwanda, Sudan, Bosnia, Kosovo, or any other place, I would much rather prefer an international organization running the show than a single superpower and its lackeys.
How compassionate. You would rather an organization that sits on its hands instead of stopping genocide when it actually happens. If it were up to the UN, Saddam Hussein would still be in control of a tyrannized Iraq that would continue to kill its own citizens, and Bosnia and Kosovo would be the cleansed and annexed new additions of a Greater Serbian state, and it would still be showing respect and defferance to genocidal/theocratic states that are anti-Israeli. Bravo, such an upstanding international political body.

The UN will only be as effective as the nations that constitute its power. Which is yet another reason why a multipolar world must come about.
Currently that includes autocratic Russia, and communist China in the UNSC, and dozens of other member states in the organization that oppress, kill, and cleanse their own people even today who veto anything that western democratic powers try to do to stop them, and who blame everything on the Jews or the Americans for the state of the world. Clearly these are individuals with a firm grasp on reality, but of course you trust this blundering organization far more.

After the war, there was reported to be a conservation between a North Vietnamese colonel and an American lieutenant.

The American said, "You know, we never lost a single battle during the war".

The North Vietnamese colonel thinks for a moment, and then replies, "That is true. But it is also completely irrelevant".

The Communist military strategy during the war made it impossible for the Americans to win. That was apparent from an early stage.
I would especially agree with the last statement, because as one of the defectors from the North Vietnamese communist regime said himself; their policy was to cause the Americans to lose the war politically, at home and around the world, at any cost; even disinformation and propaganda. 1.7 million people were murdered by the North Vietnamese between 1945-1987, not including 1 million from the Vietnam War, and killings that have happened since. It is a poor country lacking in human rights, no democracy, no prosperity, indeed had the Americans stayed one could contrast that there would be a state in Vietnam (South Vietnam) today similar to South Korea in prosperty and freedom.

Definitions of "good" and "evil" are best left to moralists who think in a simplistic black-and-white manner. I'd rather not engage in the same activity.
lol. You already do, and also in a black and white manner, whether you like to admit it or not.

As far as foreign policy and geopolitics go, there is no difference between communist, fascist, Islamist, and democratic nations. All are potential allies, and all are potential enemies.
If you want to make long term friends with fascists, communists, Islamists, and theocrats; then good luck with that.

Yes.

In addition to conventional military equipment, numerous chemical and biological weapons such as anthrax were supplied. These same weapons were later used against Iranian civilians, as well as the Kurds.

"Spreading democracy" at its finest.
Iraqs chemical and biological capabilities came from France and the Soviet Union, indeed 82% of the armaments given to Saddam over a 30 year period came from the Soviet Union, China, and France; only 1% came from the United States. SIPRI research could have shown you this.

Note: source links to SIPRI don't work so well, so you'll have to input the dates and importing country (Iraq) yourself.

Serbia was already losing. Slovenia and Croatia had both successfully seceded before foreign intervention. Bosnia would have seceded as well.

As for the Albanians, I don't support their position during the war, but that's an entirely different story and irrelevant to this discussion.
The Serbian military was trashing the Bosnian, and Albanian forces regardless of their secession attempt, and many in Croatia, Bosnia, and Albania are very grateful for NATO intervention in this conflict.

I would much rather have the Soviets and PDPA rule Afghanistan than the Taliban.
At whos expense is this at? The average Afghan of course! 8 million refugees and dead agree.

Wrong. There are numerous cases where this is not true. A good example is the Indian independence movement, where millions of Indians peacefully overthrew the British regime with virtually no foreign aid whatsoever.
There were members within British politics who also promised indepedence to happen, and they allowed the political institutions and means for this to take place. Had they not, a violent civil war might have occured. Even if you do not concede the point, this is still incredibly rare compared to most other parts of history where other revolutions and major government changes/independence movements had to come with the support of another state (good or bad).

If the USSR was still around, Afghanistan would not be ruled by the Taliban, or have anywhere near the same level of fundamentalism. That much is certain.
That is true, and Afghanistan would still be the killing grounds of the PDPA and the Soviet military.

What is racist? Calling Australians the descendants of criminals? Is it not true that Australia was founded primarily as a penal colony, and that the first white colonists in Australia were convicts? Didn't you state yourself, in a seperate thread, that your ancestors were convicts from Britain and Ireland?

Then what is racist in calling Australians the descendants of criminals? I am merely stating a well-known fact.
For the dozenth or so time you misunderstand what I have said. You attribute arguments of pro-colonialism to me yet my ancestors themselves were victims of British colonialism in Ireland and Scottland, and later in Australia itself. I am not going to repeat myself as you will misinterpret what I meant and put words in my mouth, and the argument that Australians are all descendants of criminals is an argument relegated to the minds of British colonialists, and I am very amused at the fact you side with their way of thinking about people, most of which, had to steal food to survive in Ireland, Scottland, and England at the risk of being thrown in an English prison for 65 years, or being deported to here.

I was taught that philosophy is subjective, and logic is objective. I guess they teach the opposite in kangaroo land.
:rotfl: :loco:

Philosophy is an academic profession that professes and uses logic to come to its conclusions, subjectivity and objectivity are simply extensions of the same thought processes.

Philosophy.
Logic.

Why not instead make sweeping remarks about my country of origin instead of admit you are making a series of philosophical and logical fallacies? I guess it's an easy thing to do given the context.

I believe in everything I say, yes. I am sure you do too.

I don't need to save my "reputation" here. Quite frankly, I have no idea what my "reputation" here is. I just post what I believe in, and let others post what they believe in. Apparently, people like what I believe in, because they keep thanking my posts in this thread.
Yet your arguments are driven by the same fallacious tendancies of someone who is emotional and using blind nationalistic views of history.

Speak for yourself.
Lol, or you could stop derailing the topic with more arguments that have nothing to do with Alexanders conquests of Persia and his legacy, but hey up to you whether or not you take the advice.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
You argued the point about its origins, and I presented the obvious counter-argument you ignored. The first major democratic movement happened in the west, and all other movements in part are either similar in concept, or inspired by those movements.
Western democracy is not the same as democracy from other cultures.

They had similar concepts, but they were developed independently. The Native Americans and Asians were not inspired by the Greeks or Romans to develop their own political concepts. Why is it so difficult to look past your own one-sided view of history and understand that?

I think you misunderstood my response, yet again. Note the sarcasm.
It's better to assume people didn't understand what you are saying, then to assume they did and were being sarcastic.

Such an assumption is exceptionally useful in the case of this discussion.

I think I've already made the point clear on this one, but out of all the powers of the world at present; the US has on average brought about more democracies in the world than any other power both past and present, and I am grateful for the fact they have done that, rather than act like a bunch of isolationists and stick their heads in the sand.
For the sake of ease of discussion, I'll move the discussion on America and its interventionist policies to the "CIA Secret War" thread, as the exact same topic also appeared there.

Unsurprisingly you missed the point in all of these responses, I am saying that if you buy into such defeatist nonsense; then India should also not intervene or have a say in any other cultures either because the same rhetoric you used can be applied to them on the points of racism, corruption, religious sectarianism, etc... I don't buy that kind of logic in any case.
I don't support an interventionist foreign policy for India, if that's what you mean.

India should definitely not intervene to spread "democracy" and "superior culture", but only in drastic times to protect its interests.

You are arguing that all cultures are equal, and that no culture has hateful aspects to it. This is not true for plenty of reasons, and if the worlds cultures were truly equal and non-violent; then there would be no war today, no communism, no fascism, no Islamism, no religious extremism, and probably no religion in general either.
As Clausewitz said, "War is a continuation of politics by other means". Wars are fought for agendas, whatever those agendas may be. They are not fought because some cultures are inferior and inherently more violent than others. Moralistic nonsense about wars being fought by the West to "save humanity", "spread democracy", and "promote peace and stability" are food for the ignorant, like scraps of bread thrown at starving crows.

What's even more interesting is that you attribute internationalist movements like communism to "culture" :pound: Which "culture" does communism belong to? How about fascism?

Islamism is also an internationalist movement. It can be attributed to any one "culture". And even if it could, it would not be representative of that entire culture.

For the second time, read the quran; then come back and tell me if you call a spade a spade. That book explicitly tells you that polytheism/paganism is evil, that it should be erradicated, which would include that of Hinduism. Not very hateful at all I see. :pound: This is before we get to the hellfire passages, justifications/conditions of slavery, killing of infidels/apostates, etc...
I am not surprised that Islam is opposed to those religious concepts that are diametrically opposite to its core beliefs. It's like Jews being opposed to the concept of Christ being the Messiah. Should I be? Again, not sure why you're telling me this.

Not insecure at all, but if your claim that 60-80 million died would mean it would be the largest famine, in reality these numbers seem exaggerated or inflated. The problem with these numbers is that when I go through each individual famine over Indias history, there were already at least 3-4 that happened prior to British rule, and one that happened after in the 1960s and 70s in Bihar; so the argument that all of the famines happened under colonialism is incorrect. Also some of the famines that are attributive to colonial rule such as the Chalissa, Skull, and Agra famines (which combined claimed the lives of tens of millions of Indians) all happened prior to the British assuming complete control of India in 1857, and were largely due to El-Nino/Nina environmental and weather effects that played a part in the famines occurring. Unless you're going to argue that the British had full knowledge of climate change/global warming prior to the 20th century, and could control the weather somehow; the logic behind these arguments already seem flawed. This isn't to say the British didn't cause famine through their policies, but the numbers are inflated, and the rationalization itself is suspect.
I know your knowledge of Indian history is very limited, so I'll forgive the numerous factual and logical errors you make. British political control in India was firmly established following the battles of Plassey and Buxar, in 1757 and 1764 respectively. These battles gave the British East India Company complete and direct control over Bengal, from which the British would expand their power into other parts of India. The first great famine of the 18th century happened in Bengal in 1770, in which 10 million Indians died. This was shortly after the British gained control of Bengal. Interesting coincidence, eh? Nearly all other major famines following this date can be attributed to British influence in some form or another.

I don't know why you mentioned 1857 as the "start" of British rule. 1857 saw the Sepoy Rebellion, which was a rebellion against the British. How could there be a rebellion against British rule, if the British were not rule?

The Bihar famine of 1966-67 resulted in only 2,000 deaths, and was a very minor famine. The fact that you even compare it to the famines of British era is laughable.

No famines, minor or otherwise, occurred after 1967. There were major droughts after this, but they did not result in any deaths due to effective action by the government and especially by the people themselves. If those same droughts had occurred under British rule, they would have undoubtedly killed millions.

As you always like to say, apples and oranges; you are comparing unlike things. Rudolph Rummel argues that 40-45 million people died under Stalin between the early 1920s, and the early 1950s, approximately 30 years; not 85 million. Here is a graph from his website of what percentage the state killed:
Does that include the deaths during WWII as well? Some 25 million Soviets died during WWII due to war-related causes that cannot be attributed to the Soviet government. Either way, the figures seem exaggerated, because such heavy losses in population would not allow the USSR to assume superpower status so soon after WWII.

As for your argument that the population of the Soviet Union increased, well no shit Sherlock, that's because by the end of the 1940s; the Soviets had annexed nearly all of Eastern Europe which generally increased their total population. It doesn't take a genius to figure that one out, and in no way does this mean that the numbers cited for Soviet mass murder are false.
The Soviets annexed nearly all of Eastern Europe? :pound: Your knowledge of history is even worse than I thought.

The only regions that the Soviets gained after WWII in East Europe were Moldavia and East Prussia, both very small regions. The latter saw its entire German population deported and replaced with ethnic Russians from the USSR, so that would not support your argument. Belarus SSR and Ukraine SSR also gained part of Poland, but most Poles living there fled to Poland proper, so that would not help your case either. The Soviets installed puppet governments in the East European countries they liberated, and did not annex them outright. Poles, Hungarians, Czechs, Bulgarians, etc. were obviously not included in the Soviet censuses, because Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, etc. all had their own governments.

The conclusion you draw is speculative and argument ad populum, hardly a convincing one.
It is a logical conclusion that is obvious to anyone who looks at the facts. It is "speculative" only to people who willingly ignore the facts, and continue to ramble about their own agenda.

LOL. North Africa originally had no democracy, and Hosni Mubarak was asked to step down. I am glad that the Arabs there want change, but you ignore evidence that is contrarian to your view on this subject. If the west was so determined for resources and dictators, it would not let two of these regimes to collapse; they would have intervened militarily to stop it. Instead they have established a no-fly zone over Libya, a regime that is preventing change and democracy to occur, and yet again the argument here for doing so is a moral one.
So when the native people obtain democracy themselves, the West still deserves credit? :pound:

If the West did not ask Mubarak to step down, what would happen? The Egyptians would simply continue to fight for their freedom, and Mubarak would be overthrown in any case, as was Ben Ali in Tunisia (as far as I'm aware, no one "forced" Ben Ali to step down, besides the Tunisian people themselves). The West does not want a civil war to break out in their own puppet state, so their actions in Egypt's regard are understandable.

The same applies to Tunisia, though Tunisia is a far less important puppet than Egypt.

How compassionate. You would rather an organization that sits on its hands instead of stopping genocide when it actually happens. If it were up to the UN, Saddam Hussein would still be in control of a tyrannized Iraq that would continue to kill its own citizens, and Bosnia and Kosovo would be the cleansed and annexed new additions of a Greater Serbian state, and it would still be showing respect and defferance to genocidal/theocratic states that are anti-Israeli. Bravo, such an upstanding international political body.
Indeed. At least the UN doesn't have ulterior motives like the US and other states. By that logic alone, I would support the U.N. more than the U.S. and its puppets, even if the U.N. is not always effective in its missions. It is just unfortunate that the U.N. doesn't have enough power to do what has to be done, due to the predominance of American power and influence.

Currently that includes autocratic Russia, and communist China in the UNSC, and dozens of other member states in the organization that oppress, kill, and cleanse their own people even today who veto anything that western democratic powers try to do to stop them, and who blame everything on the Jews or the Americans for the state of the world. Clearly these are individuals with a firm grasp on reality, but of course you trust this blundering organization far more.
Neither China nor Russia vetoed the UN-mandated no-fly zone over Libya. Nor did they veto other interventions in the past, such as the Gulf War.

Either way, I am glad that there are nations in the U.N. who prevent the West from going on a blind rampage. Unfortunately, that did not work in Iraq, when America invaded the country despite the U.N. resolution insisting otherwise.

I would especially agree with the last statement, because as one of the defectors from the North Vietnamese communist regime said himself; their policy was to cause the Americans to lose the war politically, at home and around the world, at any cost; even disinformation and propaganda. 1.7 million people were murdered by the North Vietnamese between 1945-1987, not including 1 million from the Vietnam War, and killings that have happened since. It is a poor country lacking in human rights, no democracy, no prosperity, indeed had the Americans stayed one could contrast that there would be a state in Vietnam (South Vietnam) today similar to South Korea in prosperty and freedom.
Your rant aside, the Vietnam War was a victory for the USSR-backed factions, no matter how you want to look at it. The end result was similar to the Soviet War in Afghanistan.

Vietnam today has a rapidly-growing economy, and is pursuing increased cooperation with America as well as India. Neither India nor America care if Vietnam is an "evil commie dictatorship" or not. Another case to show that moralistic views of politics and foreign affairs are naive and flawed.

lol. You already do, and also in a black and white manner, whether you like to admit it or not.
Yeah, I'm the one claiming that Westerners are superior, highly-civilized angels and that Muslims are inferior and uncivilized :pound:

If you want to make long term friends with fascists, communists, Islamists, and theocrats; then good luck with that.
We already have, and so has America and numerous other countries.

One of our most important partners is Burma, which is a brutal, military dictatorship. The case of America and Vietnam has already been pointed out. Even your own country has very good relations with China.

Iraqs chemical and biological capabilities came from France and the Soviet Union, indeed 82% of the armaments given to Saddam over a 30 year period came from the Soviet Union, China, and France; only 1% came from the United States. SIPRI research could have shown you this.
I'm not going to waste my time debating basic facts with you. It doesn't matter if the US supplied 1% of Iraq's weapons or 100%. All that matters, is that American weapons were supplied, and those same weapons were used by Saddam Hussein against civilian targets. There has been plenty of research done in this regard.

http://www.counterpunch.org/boles1010.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/31/world/main534798.shtml
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0908-08.htm

I just found these after a 30-second google search. The information is all out there, but I can't force blind people to see.

The Serbian military was trashing the Bosnian, and Albanian forces regardless of their secession attempt, and many in Croatia, Bosnia, and Albania are very grateful for NATO intervention in this conflict.
The NATO intervention obviously had ulterior motives. After the war, NATO expanded its membership into the non-Serbian former Yugoslav replublics.

They didn't intervene to stop the genocide, but the genocide did serve as a useful moral justification for the intervention.

At whos expense is this at? The average Afghan of course! 8 million refugees and dead agree.

That is true, and Afghanistan would still be the killing grounds of the PDPA and the Soviet military.
With a pro-India, pro-Soviet regime in Afghanistan, it would only be a matter of time before Pakistan collapsed. Pakistan, and the fundamentalism emanating from it, is ultimately the cause for the suffering of the Afghan people. The Baluchi rebel groups in Pakistan were most active in the 80s, do you know why?

I expect a similar course of action to happen this decade. Just replace the Soviets with NATO and the PDPA with the Karzai regime. The Mujahideen, funnily enough, are still the Mujahideen, though they are now called the "Taliban".

And, just as you attribute the hundreds of thousands of civilian casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan to the Taliban and insurgents rather than the US Army, I attribute the hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths during the Soviet War in Afghanistan to the Mujahideen, rather than the Red Army itself.

There were members within British politics who also promised indepedence to happen, and they allowed the political institutions and means for this to take place. Had they not, a violent civil war might have occured. Even if you do not concede the point, this is still incredibly rare compared to most other parts of history where other revolutions and major government changes/independence movements had to come with the support of another state (good or bad).
Rare, maybe. Impossible? Certainly not.

Foreign support is seldom necessary to spark a revolution. What it does is help facilitate the revolution in such a way that is beneficial to the sponsors.

For the dozenth or so time you misunderstand what I have said. You attribute arguments of pro-colonialism to me yet my ancestors themselves were victims of British colonialism in Ireland and Scottland, and later in Australia itself. I am not going to repeat myself as you will misinterpret what I meant and put words in my mouth, and the argument that Australians are all descendants of criminals is an argument relegated to the minds of British colonialists, and I am very amused at the fact you side with their way of thinking about people, most of which, had to steal food to survive in Ireland, Scottland, and England at the risk of being thrown in an English prison for 65 years, or being deported to here.
In my mind, Australians are the same as Britishers, except with a different accent. You can argue the point if you which, but everything I see points to this. You speak the same language, look the same, have the more or less the same customs, and the British Queen is still your monarch. Even your flag has a picture of the British flag on it, lol.

By the way, have you heard of the founder effect, a special case of genetic drift?

Lol, or you could stop derailing the topic with more arguments that have nothing to do with Alexanders conquests of Persia and his legacy, but hey up to you whether or not you take the advice.
I would much rather discuss ancient Indian history than this, as it is what I enjoy and know the most about. Unfortunately, the discussion on this thread, although originally quite good and very informative, suddenly saw a decline in quality after the appearance of a Westerner.

Last edited:

AOE

Alright I think that's enough nonsense for one post to deal with, most of which is filled with logical fallacies. I'm going to attempt to try to respond to as much of this as possible, while attempting to try and bring this back on track.

Western democracy is not the same as democracy from other cultures.

They had similar concepts, but they were developed independently. The Native Americans and Asians were not inspired by the Greeks or Romans to develop their own political concepts. Why is it so difficult to look past your own one-sided view of history and understand that?
Yes, they weren't inspired by the Romans and Greeks, but with the exception of the Native Americans; the others developed systems similar to the ones already in place in the west. Democracy was an idea invented here, and it was made popular from here. That was the argument, stop beating around the bush.

It's better to assume people didn't understand what you are saying, then to assume they did and were being sarcastic.

Such an assumption is exceptionally useful in the case of this discussion.
I would much rather discuss ancient Indian history than this, as it is what I enjoy and know the most about. Unfortunately, the discussion on this thread, although originally quite good and very informative, suddenly saw a decline in quality after the appearance of a Westerner.
:pound: Yes, because actually asking me about my own views or thoughts on a subject is out of the question, better to assume I support colonialism simply because I come from a commonwealth country. Good to see you haven't let the emotions take over the reigns here, and haven't resorted to ad hominems based on my cultural or geographical location.

In reality, I was preferential to only talking about Alexanders conquests and their legacy, which all views are allowed on the subject whether you like it or not. You brought up most of the topics that derailed the thread and that is where we are now.

For the sake of ease of discussion, I'll move the discussion on America and its interventionist policies to the "CIA Secret War" thread, as the exact same topic also appeared there.
Took you long enough, you've already derailed this discussion by bringing it up here.

I don't support an interventionist foreign policy for India, if that's what you mean.

India should definitely not intervene to spread "democracy" and "superior culture", but only in drastic times to protect its interests.
lol, yet I remember you conceding or saying in another thread that a country has to not be isolationist to be a super power. So do you want India to be a super power or not?

As Clausewitz said, "War is a continuation of politics by other means". Wars are fought for agendas, whatever those agendas may be. They are not fought because some cultures are inferior and inherently more violent than others. Moralistic nonsense about wars being fought by the West to "save humanity", "spread democracy", and "promote peace and stability" are food for the ignorant, like scraps of bread thrown at starving crows.

What's even more interesting is that you attribute internationalist movements like communism to "culture" :pound: Which "culture" does communism belong to? How about fascism?
Islamism is also an internationalist movement. It can be attributed to any one "culture". And even if it could, it would not be representative of that entire culture.
I am not surprised that Islam is opposed to those religious concepts that are diametrically opposite to its core beliefs. It's like Jews being opposed to the concept of Christ being the Messiah. Should I be? Again, not sure why you're telling me this.
All of the above is putting words in my mouth and more straw man arguments, and you are quote mining what Clausewitz said about warfare; as the passage he put forward was intended to highlight the complexity and depth of conflicts, not to narrow its definition to the one you put forward.

For the third time; this shows that there is hatred present as an integral part of many cultures. If you do not get that then you cannot have a serious discussion about oppression and evil in history if you are one-sided about it.

I know your knowledge of Indian history is very limited, so I'll forgive the numerous factual and logical errors you make. British political control in India was firmly established following the battles of Plassey and Buxar, in 1757 and 1764 respectively. These battles gave the British East India Company complete and direct control over Bengal, from which the British would expand their power into other parts of India. The first great famine of the 18th century happened in Bengal in 1770, in which 10 million Indians died. This was shortly after the British gained control of Bengal. Interesting coincidence, eh? Nearly all other major famines following this date can be attributed to British influence in some form or another.
lol you tell me I make numeral and factual errors, but the only numbers I did use was the 60-80 million you said earlier. Where exactly did I make any logical error? That battle only established control over Bengal, and some of these famines were in places outside of British territorial control, and were partly based in changing climate/weather conditions that led to droughts. My point is to base all of these on the British is ahistorical given the many factors and conditions you are not taking into account. This isn't to say the British aren't responsible for killing millions in these famines through their policies, but these are policies relegated to colonialism and not democracy or capitalism.

I might also add that this is off topic. I'm sure there are other threads already on the topic of British colonialism or it being at fault for everything, why not post there about it instead?

I don't know why you mentioned 1857 as the "start" of British rule. 1857 saw the Sepoy Rebellion, which was a rebellion against the British. How could there be a rebellion against British rule, if the British were not rule?
I said this because prior to 1857, the British did not have control over the whole Indian subcontinent.

The Bihar famine of 1966-67 resulted in only 2,000 deaths, and was a very minor famine. The fact that you even compare it to the famines of British era is laughable.

No famines, minor or otherwise, occurred after 1967. There were major droughts after this, but they did not result in any deaths due to effective action by the government and especially by the people themselves. If those same droughts had occurred under British rule, they would have undoubtedly killed millions.
I would agree with this, but not the number of 80 million perished in all of the British India (India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Kashmir, Sri Lanka, and even Burma). The population statistics of India are debated and differ between each historian, there is your estimate of 150 million, but I have seen estimates lower than that, and some as high as 200 million. We'll never know the exact figure since there was no national consensus back then, but by the time of Indian independence there were around 350 million Indians in just India alone (not including the other states).

Anyway this has nothing to do with the conquests of Alexander.

Does that include the deaths during WWII as well? Some 25 million Soviets died during WWII due to war-related causes that cannot be attributed to the Soviet government. Either way, the figures seem exaggerated, because such heavy losses in population would not allow the USSR to assume superpower status so soon after WWII.

The Soviets annexed nearly all of Eastern Europe? :pound: Your knowledge of history is even worse than I thought.

The only regions that the Soviets gained after WWII in East Europe were Moldavia and East Prussia, both very small regions. The latter saw its entire German population deported and replaced with ethnic Russians from the USSR, so that would not support your argument. Belarus SSR and Ukraine SSR also gained part of Poland, but most Poles living there fled to Poland proper, so that would not help your case either. The Soviets installed puppet governments in the East European countries they liberated, and did not annex them outright. Poles, Hungarians, Czechs, Bulgarians, etc. were obviously not included in the Soviet censuses, because Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, etc. all had their own governments.

It is a logical conclusion that is obvious to anyone who looks at the facts. It is "speculative" only to people who willingly ignore the facts, and continue to ramble about their own agenda.
I think the number of Soviet civilians killed by the Nazis during WWII is not 25 million, but approximately 12 million:

The only regions? Do you know what the dictionary definition of 'annex' means? They captured or were in possession of all of the Baltic states, Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Romania, and Ukraine by the end of WWII. There is of course also Yugoslavia and Albania (which split), but they would not have been part of the Cold War under communism if the Soviets did not prop up regimes there. It was only after the fall of the Berlin Wall that the Russians remained in control of Kaliningrad, and East Prussia was given to the Polish.

The Soviet bloc countries were allowed to set up their own governments? They were puppets of the Soviet Union, and they were only allowed even this amount of self-government so long as they did not stray from the Soviet Union; especially in the case of Hungarys revolt, and Ukraines famines.

Also off topic.

So when the native people obtain democracy themselves, the West still deserves credit? :pound:

If the West did not ask Mubarak to step down, what would happen? The Egyptians would simply continue to fight for their freedom, and Mubarak would be overthrown in any case, as was Ben Ali in Tunisia (as far as I'm aware, no one "forced" Ben Ali to step down, besides the Tunisian people themselves). The West does not want a civil war to break out in their own puppet state, so their actions in Egypt's regard are understandable.

The same applies to Tunisia, though Tunisia is a far less important puppet than Egypt.
Your ranting and dismissive remarks aside, yes the west did ask Mubarak to step down, and they did not hamper the fall of Tunisias regime. I did not say that the west is solely responsible or takes credit for it, but it played a positive role; which you are conveniently ignoring. By asking him to step down, they wanted to prevent the further killing of protestors and people who wanted democracy in the country.

Indeed. At least the UN doesn't have ulterior motives like the US and other states. By that logic alone, I would support the U.N. more than the U.S. and its puppets, even if the U.N. is not always effective in its missions. It is just unfortunate that the U.N. doesn't have enough power to do what has to be done, due to the predominance of American power and influence.
Would you support it more than India? If the UN was the most powerful political body in the world, you would have to make that choice as the Americans have with their own country on some occasions.

Neither China nor Russia vetoed the UN-mandated no-fly zone over Libya. Nor did they veto other interventions in the past, such as the Gulf War.
Lol. Well there are instances to the contrary historically, but I wont go into that as it is going off topic.

Either way, I am glad that there are nations in the U.N. who prevent the West from going on a blind rampage. Unfortunately, that did not work in Iraq, when America invaded the country despite the U.N. resolution insisting otherwise.
So tell me when will the UN fix the situation in Sudan and Burma, or other states where genocide and tyranny are occuring? Sudan has only been in a near constant state of war and genocide for nearly 30 years now, and Burma still remains an unfree country.

Your rant aside, the Vietnam War was a victory for the USSR-backed factions, no matter how you want to look at it. The end result was similar to the Soviet War in Afghanistan.

Vietnam today has a rapidly-growing economy, and is pursuing increased cooperation with America as well as India. Neither India nor America care if Vietnam is an "evil commie dictatorship" or not. Another case to show that moralistic views of politics and foreign affairs are naive and flawed.
We already have, and so has America and numerous other countries.

One of our most important partners is Burma, which is a brutal, military dictatorship. The case of America and Vietnam has already been pointed out. Even your own country has very good relations with China.
Vietnam was a political victory for the Soviets, yes, but yet again; at what cost? 1.7 million lives at the hands of the Stalinist North Vietnamese regime, not including casualties at their hands during the Vietnam War, and state killings ever since 1987.

lol looks like India then supports dictators of its own as well, how ironic; according to your own arguments (since you like to boast about condemning killings of all sides). Even more interestingly, your rhetorical moral relativist arguments are rendered void considering you sport a picture of Che Guevara in your avatar, the very man in his life who promoted book burning, censored cinema, opposed free elections, persecuted gays, and even made rock and roll illegal in Cuba. He was also known as 'the butcher of La Cabana prison', carrying out state executions often without trial. Irony at its finest. So lets recap, shall we?

While I'm partial to the idea of supporting Vietnam against China (in my view, the greater of two evils), this is simply realpolitik in practice and I would still like to see democracy come to Vietnam eventually. That's been my point the whole time.

Vietnams economic growth I noticed has co-incided with their opening of diplomatic relations with the US, as well as other countries.

Yeah, I'm the one claiming that Westerners are superior, highly-civilized angels and that Muslims are inferior and uncivilized.
:pound: Whatever you reckon mate, if straw man arguments and dismissive, sweeping generalizations work for you; then whatever makes you happy.

I'm not going to waste my time debating basic facts with you. It doesn't matter if the US supplied 1% of Iraq's weapons or 100%. All that matters, is that American weapons were supplied, and those same weapons were used by Saddam Hussein against civilian targets. There has been plenty of research done in this regard.

http://www.counterpunch.org/boles1010.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/12/31/world/main534798.shtml
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0908-08.htm

All of these are news sources that

I just found these after a 30-second google search. The information is all out there, but I can't force blind people to see.
Yes weapons were supplied to Saddam by the US, but people will focus on the Americans and ignore the far larger contributions by other states. That was the bias I was originally trying to highlight.

The NATO intervention obviously had ulterior motives. After the war, NATO expanded its membership into the non-Serbian former Yugoslav replublics.

They didn't intervene to stop the genocide, but the genocide did serve as a useful moral justification for the intervention.
They didn't intervene to stop the genocide? Man, I want some of what you are smoking. So what were they there for? Oil? Uranium? Coal? Natural Gas?

If preventing the Serbians from killing their neighbors was not the reason, then what? To increase relations with the all-important super powers of Albania and Bosnia? :rotfl:

Let's face it, regardless of an American involvement in any war; you will always say it's only for ulterior motives, irrespective of the conflict. The bias is on your end, not mine.

With a pro-India, pro-Soviet regime in Afghanistan, it would only be a matter of time before Pakistan collapsed. Pakistan, and the fundamentalism emanating from it, is ultimately the cause for the suffering of the Afghan people. The Baluchi rebel groups in Pakistan were most active in the 80s, do you know why?

I expect a similar course of action to happen this decade. Just replace the Soviets with NATO and the PDPA with the Karzai regime. The Mujahideen, funnily enough, are still the Mujahideen, though they are now called the "Taliban".

And, just as you attribute the hundreds of thousands of civilian casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan to the Taliban and insurgents rather than the US Army, I attribute the hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths during the Soviet War in Afghanistan to the Mujahideen, rather than the Red Army itself.
Bad logic I'm afraid. The extent of civilian killings by either side in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan is well-documented, and the majority of them happened at the hands of the PDPA/Soviets, and tens of thousands happened at the hands of the Afghan mujahideen. It is laughable though that you compare the Soviet Union to the coalition forces there, who have not killed even 1/10th, or perhaps even 1/20th of the number of people the communists killed. Those that do kill civilians are often condemned, court martialled, sent to prison, and kicked out of the military.

Rare, maybe. Impossible? Certainly not.

Foreign support is seldom necessary to spark a revolution. What it does is help facilitate the revolution in such a way that is beneficial to the sponsors.
I never said it was impossible, I said that it hasn't happened solely by itself (AKA without some kind of financial, political, military, or otherwise support).

By the way, have you heard of the founder effect, a special case of genetic drift?
In my mind, Australians are the same as Britishers, except with a different accent. You can argue the point if you which, but everything I see points to this. You speak the same language, look the same, have the more or less the same customs, and the British Queen is still your monarch. Even your flag has a picture of the British flag on it, lol.
It's called the Union Jack, and it was also on the Indian flag at some stage; does that mean the Indians supported British colonialism until 1948? According to your logic that would be so, since they were part of the commonwealth. In reality; this is a pointless response that I do not care to delve into, as this is starting to turn into personal attacks and sweeping remarks based on culture, and is off topic.

Last edited:

S.A.T.A

Histories and historical heroes are a social construct,societies invest in them their deeply held emotions and its these emotions that generate the historical narrative.Whether a historian is chronicling the history of his society or that of others,he is not apart from this social construct.An objective history is a historical fallacy,history writing is no more than history constructing,the plan is the narrative,ultimately its an apology of the narrator.

This topic not surprisingly has meandered into series of unwitting western apologies,which is entirely misplaced in the context of the topic,i'm sure western apologists,i state this with all due respects, will find other threads to indulge their pursuit and leave this and other similar topics as places to exchange essential information.

P.S:Moderation team must ensure topics dont just meander into exchange of inanities,this might discourage people with real interest.This is one reason why i have stayed away from this forum for some while now.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Yes, they weren't inspired by the Romans and Greeks, but with the exception of the Native Americans; the others developed systems similar to the ones already in place in the west. Democracy was an idea invented here, and it was made popular from here. That was the argument, stop beating around the bush.
You want me to stop "beating around the bush"? :pound:

I just stated that other cultures developed democracies independently, and therefore democracy cannot be solely attributed to the West. No one outside of Europe cared about Greek or Roman democracy.

Modern democracy spread after the 18th century from the West, and it was events like the American and French Revolutions that made the concept of modern democracy popular. I was never arguing against that. What I am arguing against is interventionism in the guise of "spreading democracy", and as I've stated, discussion about that should be moved to the other thread.

:pound: Yes, because actually asking me about my own views or thoughts on a subject is out of the question, better to assume I support colonialism simply because I come from a commonwealth country. Good to see you haven't let the emotions take over the reigns here, and haven't resorted to ad hominems based on my cultural or geographical location.

In reality, I was preferential to only talking about Alexanders conquests and their legacy, which all views are allowed on the subject whether you like it or not. You brought up most of the topics that derailed the thread and that is where we are now.
I brought up the topics? I just stated that the Western line of one-sided thinking is the cause for lopsided views of history, as reflected in that African proverb. It looks like I was right.

lol, yet I remember you conceding or saying in another thread that a country has to not be isolationist to be a super power. So do you want India to be a super power or not?
Absolutely not. Being a superpower is a liability more than anything. It is much better to focus on your own people and neighborhood. Of course, such "isolationist" countries (if they can be called that, in today's globalized world) can still contribute to international goals via international organizations.

America's self-ascribed role of world policeman has cost trillions of dollars and countless lives. I don't want India to suffer the same. What I want India to become is an economic and military powerhouse with absolute influence over South Asia and the Indian Ocean region; a "regional stabilizer", so to speak. Whether or not Peru is secretly developing nuclear weapons or whether Burkina Faso is preparing for an invasion of Togo should not be of any direct concern to the Indian state.

All of the above is putting words in my mouth and more straw man arguments, and you are quote mining what Clausewitz said about warfare; as the passage he put forward was intended to highlight the complexity and depth of conflicts, not to narrow its definition to the one you put forward.
Indeed, warfare is a highly complex matter, just as politics is a highly complex matter.

Clausewitz would have laughed at the moralistic view of wars being waged to "spread democracy".

For the third time; this shows that there is hatred present as an integral part of many cultures. If you do not get that then you cannot have a serious discussion about oppression and evil in history if you are one-sided about it.
What you do not "get", is that there are hateful elements present in EVERY culture, including the superior Western one, but this cannot be attributed to the culture at large. There is no doubt that anti-Semitism is present in Arab culture. But then again, people in the American South were lynching blacks not too long ago, and there is plenty of hatred even today. But I do not hate either Arab or American culture based on the actions of a few bigots, as you might prefer to hate the entire Arab culture based on the actions of a few terrorists.

lol you tell me I make numeral and factual errors, but the only numbers I did use was the 60-80 million you said earlier. Where exactly did I make any logical error? That battle only established control over Bengal, and some of these famines were in places outside of British territorial control, and were partly based in changing climate/weather conditions that led to droughts. My point is to base all of these on the British is ahistorical given the many factors and conditions you are not taking into account. This isn't to say the British aren't responsible for killing millions in these famines through their policies, but these are policies relegated to colonialism and not democracy or capitalism.
I don't recall ever blaming democracy for the British genocide in India, so I'm not sure why you mentioned that.

My point was that British rule was far more devastating to India than the Islamic invasions, which is a point accepted by many historians. The facts are all there to support that.

I might also add that this is off topic. I'm sure there are other threads already on the topic of British colonialism or it being at fault for everything, why not post there about it instead?
Indeed, I think I will cross post some of the points here onto another thread, or make a new one.

I would agree with this, but not the number of 80 million perished in all of the British India (India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Kashmir, Sri Lanka, and even Burma). The population statistics of India are debated and differ between each historian, there is your estimate of 150 million, but I have seen estimates lower than that, and some as high as 200 million. We'll never know the exact figure since there was no national consensus back then, but by the time of Indian independence there were around 350 million Indians in just India alone (not including the other states).
I don't recall ever stating the figure of 80 million. The figure is 60 million, over two centuries of British rule. Perfectly reasonable, considering the high birth rates of the time, and the resulting population figures into the 20th century.

I think the number of Soviet civilians killed by the Nazis during WWII is not 25 million, but approximately 12 million:
I'm including military deaths as well as civilian deaths.

The generally accepeted figures are 9-11 million military deaths and 12-15 million civilian deaths, bringing a total of 21-26 million Soviet deaths from all war-related causes during WWII.

The only regions? Do you know what the dictionary definition of 'annex' means?
Yes. Do you?

an·nex"‚ "‚/v. əˈnÉ›ks, ˈænÉ›ks; n. ˈænÉ›ks, -ɪks/
–verb (used with object)
1. to attach, append, or add, especially to something larger or more important.
2. to incorporate (territory) into the domain of a city, country, or state: Germany annexed part of Czechoslovakia.
3. to take or appropriate, especially without permission

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/annex

The only territories that were incorporated into the domian of the Soviet state after WWII were Bessarabia, which became the Moldavian SSR, and East Prussia, which became the Kaliningrad Oblast.

They captured or were in possession of all of the Baltic states, Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Romania, and Ukraine by the end of WWII.
With the exception of the Baltic states, which the Soviets had captured prior to WWII, none of the occupied territories were incorprated into the USSR. This meant that they were not included in Soviet government censuses, which proves your whole argument wrong.

I also have no idea why you included Ukraine, as Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union since its inception.

The Soviet bloc countries were allowed to set up their own governments? They were puppets of the Soviet Union, and they were only allowed even this amount of self-government so long as they did not stray from the Soviet Union; especially in the case of Hungarys revolt, and Ukraines famines.[/quote[

Again, the whole point is that the Soviet puppet regimes conducted their own censuses, and the Poles, Hungarians, Bulgarians, whatever were not considered Soviet citizens.

Your ranting and dismissive remarks aside, yes the west did ask Mubarak to step down, and they did not hamper the fall of Tunisias regime. I did not say that the west is solely responsible or takes credit for it, but it played a positive role; which you are conveniently ignoring. By asking him to step down, they wanted to prevent the further killing of protestors and people who wanted democracy in the country.
The protests would not be necessary if Mubarak or Ben Ali were not propped up by the West in the first place.

I find it ironic that you credit the West for the result of the protests, but not the cause.

Would you support it more than India? If the UN was the most powerful political body in the world, you would have to make that choice as the Americans have with their own country on some occasions.
On international issues with no direct relevance to India proper, yes, I would support the UN more than India. I have already stated that I believe India should occupy itself with its own neighborhood only, and leave international issues to international organizations.

So tell me when will the UN fix the situation in Sudan and Burma, or other states where genocide and tyranny are occuring? Sudan has only been in a near constant state of war and genocide for nearly 30 years now, and Burma still remains an unfree country.
Although you may have been too busy praising America's wars around the world to notice, incredible changes have been taking place in Sudan in recent times.

Just three months ago, the people of South Sudan have voted to become an independent country, and the new nation will be created this July. The creation of two different states in Sudan will greatly ease tensions between North and South, and put an end to a lot of the genocide and discrimination as well. The UN and other organizations have been doing a lot of good work there.

As for Burma, the problem is far more difficult because the dictatorship is propped up by China, and is also supported by India for strategic reasons. In order for change to come to Burma, we need to first see improvements in Sino-Indian relations, which we are already seeing. It is unfortunate that the people of Burma are caught between the two largest countries in the world, but we cannot help coincidences of political geography.

Vietnam was a political victory for the Soviets, yes, but yet again; at what cost? 1.7 million lives at the hands of the Stalinist North Vietnamese regime, not including casualties at their hands during the Vietnam War, and state killings ever since 1987.
Afghanistan was a political victory for the Americans, yes, but yet again; at what cost? Countless lives at the hands of the fundamentalist Taliban regime, not including casualties at their hands during the war against the Soviets, and state killings ever since the 90s.

Quit the moral righteousness.

lol looks like India then supports dictators of its own as well, how ironic; according to your own arguments (since you like to boast about condemning killings of all sides). Even more interestingly, your rhetorical moral relativist arguments are rendered void considering you sport a picture of Che Guevara in your avatar, the very man in his life who promoted book burning, censored cinema, opposed free elections, persecuted gays, and even made rock and roll illegal in Cuba. He was also known as 'the butcher of La Cabana prison', carrying out state executions often without trial. Irony at its finest. So lets recap, shall we?
Yes, India supports dictators. Everyone supports dictators. The difference is that India does not invade countries around the world and kill hundreds of thousands of people on the laughable premise of "spreading democracy" :pound:

And yes, I support Che Guevara. He was a great man, who contributed much in the fight against Western imperialism and colonialism. If all you know about Che are the "facts" that you mentioned, then you know absolutely nothing about him. Unsurprising, considering your one-sided view of history.

If you want, I can start a seperate thread dedicated to Che and his contributions.

While I'm partial to the idea of supporting Vietnam against China (in my view, the greater of two evils), this is simply realpolitik in practice and I would still like to see democracy come to Vietnam eventually. That's been my point the whole time.
Democracy will eventually come to Vietnam, but it won't be the West who brings it. It will be the Vietnamese people.

:pound: Whatever you reckon mate, if straw man arguments and dismissive, sweeping generalizations work for you; then whatever makes you happy.
I'm just repeating what you stated.

Yes weapons were supplied to Saddam by the US, but people will focus on the Americans and ignore the far larger contributions by other states. That was the bias I was originally trying to highlight.
For the record, I am unaware of any chemical or biological weapons supplied by the Soviets, French, or others to the Iraqis. But that is irrelevant. The point is that states act according to their interests, and not according to moral sentimentality, which some people don't seem to undetstand.

They didn't intervene to stop the genocide? Man, I want some of what you are smoking. So what were they there for? Oil? Uranium? Coal? Natural Gas?

If preventing the Serbians from killing their neighbors was not the reason, then what? To increase relations with the all-important super powers of Albania and Bosnia? :rotfl:

Let's face it, regardless of an American involvement in any war; you will always say it's only for ulterior motives, irrespective of the conflict. The bias is on your end, not mine.
Actually, Kosovo has some of the largest untapped natural resource deposits in Europe. Interestingly, the same countries that supported the NATO intervention in Yugoslavia are now supporting Kosovo's independence. :rolleyes:

If you want to view every war fought by the West as a "humanitarian" one, that's your problem, not mine. I will admit that the NATO intervention indirectly saved lives, but it also directly killed lives through the bombing of thousands of Yugoslav civilians. Starting a war to save lives seems rather contradictory to me.

Bad logic I'm afraid. The extent of civilian killings by either side in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan is well-documented, and the majority of them happened at the hands of the PDPA/Soviets, and tens of thousands happened at the hands of the Afghan mujahideen. It is laughable though that you compare the Soviet Union to the coalition forces there, who have not killed even 1/10th, or perhaps even 1/20th of the number of people the communists killed. Those that do kill civilians are often condemned, court martialled, sent to prison, and kicked out of the military.
Indeed, the number of people who have suffered or died as a result of the current war in Afghanistan is likely far less than those that suffered or died during the Soviet War in Afghanistan. The context of the conflict was very different back then.

But what is truly laughable, is that you think the Soviets killed more people in Afghanistan than the Americans did in Vietnam, even though the scale of operations in Afghanistan were much smaller (there were only 14,000 Soviet casualties in Afghanistan compared to over 60,000 American casualties in Vietnam and hundreds of thousands of ARVN and other Allied casualties), and Vietnam, not Afghanistan, is one of the most bombed countries in history. There was no Soviet equivalent of Operation Rolling Thunder or the Christmas Bombings. There was no mass Soviet carpet bombing of Afghanistan, because there was nothing to bomb. But all this does not prevent people from proclaiming Americans as angels and everyone else as evil commies :rolleyes:

It's called the Union Jack, and it was also on the Indian flag at some stage; does that mean the Indians supported British colonialism until 1948? According to your logic that would be so, since they were part of the commonwealth. In reality; this is a pointless response that I do not care to delve into, as this is starting to turn into personal attacks and sweeping remarks based on culture, and is off topic.
Yes, the British flag was on Indian flags when we were a colony of Britain. Amazing, isn't it?

I guess this means Australia is still a de facto colony. Good to know :rolleyes:

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Let's stay on the topic Alexander's invasion of India
LF, I will stop replying to off topic posts, but I want to ask for one small thing in return.

Please do not delete any of the off-topic posts that have already been made.

S.A.T.A

@Virendra

Speculations,except in fiction,regarding a historic interlude between the kautalya and the Macedonian conqueror,have been exactly that, speculation only and establishing a plausible historic basis has been mostly a futile exercise.Where the Greek accounts(or atleast their passages that have been cited in Roman chronicle of the Alexander)have completely missed Kautalya,Indian annals,chronicling that period of Indian history,have,as if reciprocating,sidestepped Alexander's adventure in India.

Iam not sure whether it was in this thread or elsewhere,i have indulged in a little speculation myself.I had said that Takshasila being an important center of learning(home to the famous Hindu University) and if Chanakya had been an influential Acharya at the university, that would have given him sufficient influence in the administrative affairs of the state of Takshasila.If that was the case,i had hypothesised, based on the kautalya's logic of statecraft that we glean from the Arthasastra,did that influence have any bearing on Ambhi's,the ruler of Takshasila at the time,response and overtures during the Macedonian invasion.Chanakya evidently had a strong dislike for the small city states and it may have fit his scheme of things to see them weakened and the Macedonian invasion of North west India,a good part of which was known as Arrata(meaning without a king,an euphemism for 'republic'),provided for such an eventuality.Perhaps one could imagine Chanakya whispering into Ambhi's ears one of the maxims which would eventually wind up in the Arthasastra,"seek friendship with the strong",esp considering his position against Porus.

Having said that,i'm myself not convinced this was possible.Chanakya's complete absence in Greek records,there is no reason why the greeks must have failed to mention him if he was of any import in Takshasila at the time,seems to suggest that he was not based in Takshasila at the time of the invasion.This could mean that Chanakya did not arrive in takshasila until Alexander had left subcontinent or that Chanakya had left Takshasila,assuming he was based originally in Takshasila,before the Macedonian invasion.

Tradition has it that Chanakya was a Acharya at Takshasila and that he had gone to Pataliputra to the court of the Nandas of Magadha.This is plausible,because there is a tradition that Kusumpura(Pataliputra) was equally famed as center of learning(besides being the capital of powerful Magadha) and that even scholars from such famous centers of learning like Takshasila,would consider it a great honour to take part in debates at Kusumapura and win accolades from the learned community there,thus its possible that Chanakya,a faculty at Takshasila,had left Takshasila,for Pataliputra,seeking fame and honour,before the macedonian invasion.

At any rate,his absence in Greek records and traditional accounts of him being in the service of the Nandas and then having a falling out with the ruling family and further joining hands with Maurya against the Nandas,indicate that Chanakya's probable sphere of activity at the time of Alexander's invasion, was Magadha and not Takshasila.It has been contended that the style of presentation of ideas in Arthasastra are that of an experienced statesman,given to pragmatism,than a mere teacher,who would naturally be consumed by theory and idealism.Arthasastra betrays the mind of long time statesman.

With regards to the identity of the Kautilya and Chanakya,the Arthasastra itself identifies the author as Kautilya,Hindu and Buddhist traditional accounts like Puranas(Vishnu,vayu et al) and Mahavamsa,identify Kautilya with Chandragupta Maurya.Dandin,a sixth century sanskrit scholar,in his Dashakumaracharita,identifies Kautilya as the author of Arthasastra and the prime minister to Maurya,for whose benefit, according to Dandin,Arthasastra had been composed.Dandin also identifies Vishnu Gupta to be the same as Kautalya.Kamandaka,the author of Kamandakiya Nitisara,makes a similar identification.

The jaina Drama,Mudraraksasa of Vishakadutta identifies Chanakya as kautilya the preceptor and advisor to Chandragupta Maurya,another jaina scholar Hemachandra whose work Parishistaparvan provides an important chronology of Chandragupta Maurya,goes as far as identifying Kautilya with Vishnu Gupta of panchatantra and vatsayana of the kamasutra fame(the similarity of the verses in these works and Arthasastra seems to lend credence to this identification)

While doubts and discordance persists,there is reasonable unanimity among scholars when they refer to Kautalya-Chanakya-Vishnugupta as one individual,cited variously by different scholars of antiquity.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Yes not all thieves steal from the poor, beggars CAN be choosers I know all of this, but it is entirely besides the point as I highlighted later on that people invade other countries for more reasons than wealth. The reason Central-Africa or Siberia was overlooked throughout most of history have more soluble reasons than you put forward. Central-Africa was never invaded because it was largely isolated from the rest of the developing world in Europe, the Middle-East, and Asia. It was not until Muslims came to the region that there was major interest there, and places like Timbuktu became areas of slave trading and wealth during that period. Siberia was an inactive region until Russias conquests, prior to that it saw some migration/conquests by the Mongols, but to most other civilizations and groups it was largely 'Terra Incognita.' Siberia today IS USED for its natural resources, heck I've even seen this argued a few times by others in this forum that China is looking into the region.

Britain was invaded by Barbary Pirates and Viking Raiders, but most of the time it was attacked and colonized by the Romans, Normans, French, Spanish, and much later it was bombed to high-heaven by the Nazis during WWII. These are not minor skirmishes, and they are no less in number than the amount of invasions India suffered. The point about whether or not Alexander would have taken his sword to Northern Europe for riches is a null point when you consider that had Alexander not have been killed at an early age, he would have taken his war to the Arabian peninsula; which is a barren desert. lol
Your totally misrepresenting my question. This also looks dishonest the way you twist Alexanders reasons for not going north to Britain. Such points are merely based on circular logic and no one can win such an argument when facts are twisted to win Discussions. Arabia was an strategic gate way to Persia and en-route to middle-east not to mention he had some superstition to go that way and prove some thing to himself. It was also a trading post and Egypt vassal state. Britain would not even have been on the way and was unknown to the world as Persia,Greece,India or other empires.

Your comparison of Pirates,Vikings and infighting inside Europe does not quite qualify as some External empire which ran sacks and invades. These are not invasions into Europe and eventually to Britain. Britian was Terra Incognita at that time as it did not lie in any trade routes which brought riches.

Nazis is in modern times.

I am not blindly attached to every and all aspects of European history, but you are the same when it comes to Indian history. I made that distinction in the previous post. That is what separates those who love history overall, and those who simply love everything a particular country has done throughout its history irrespective.
Loveing History wont mean it begins at the industrial revolution and true historian would love every revolution like one with started with Humans leaving African,Using fire, Beginning of settlements, Agricultural revolution, Building of Cities, Religious Revolutions in Middle east and Asia, all that brought us here. When ever i turn on a western TV History channel all i see is western civilization and they call it an International channel. There wont be any west or western civilization if any of those revolutions failed.

I am well aware of many of the wise sayings and passages that Ashoka has made, and I admire many of the things he has said; however I was only trying to highlight similarities rather than to diminish one side in favor of another. Ashoka and Alexander both came from periods of history of imperialism, violence, monarchism, etc... they both committed or were a part of regimes that killed civilians and behaved in imperialist manners; the difference is the lesson learned by both. Alexander was too young and did not live long enough to learn from the same lessons Ashoka did, he was killed or died by his early 30s, where as Ashoka lived twice as long as Alexander. That was my point, and I was only trying to make cultural similarities since ultimately, the conquests of both led to the spread of culture; which is the most important thing at the end of the day.
I quite agree on that one but no one knows what would have happened to Alexander if he had lived on but as i asked you do you think he would have refrained from killing all together like Ashoka? That is the ultimate evolution of man to stop killing and to take care of the planet. Which is paramount no matter what some fat burger eating handle bar mustache man says about Hippies or peace. They are cowards who cant control their pleasures even for the sake of the planet they use.

I did not say he is exactly the same, I said he has similarities. Key distinction here. Ashoka learned from his mistakes around the time of the Kalinga war, by which he was 40 years of age; he also came to power at the age of 34, where as Alexander conquered most of Persia by the time he was in his early 20s. Alexander started off in a city state approximately as small as the state of Macedonia today, and yet was able to conquere an empire that was around its peak, that spanned from Egypt, Asia Minor, Syria, Caanan, Mesopotamia, all the way to Afghanistan. That's damn impressive for a military strategist, where as most of Ashokas conquests outside of India happened against a worn out Macedonian army that refused to continue on. The Indians were unable to conquer or take back Persian invaded lands until the Greeks defeated the Persians.
This was after 80years after Alexander died and the Greeks where still resting? They must have been quite tired then? Again it was Chandra Gupta who was the Grand father of the Ashoka who fought the Greeks and defeated them that to against Seleucus Nicator, which you know nothing off. Chandra Gupta had no army or was not born to a King like Alexander but he rose to power on his own will and defeated the Greek Seleucus when he was no more than 23 and he Conquered North India,Afghanistan, large parts of Greek territory in Persia and also defeated the Nandas who the greeks feared to fight. They had well over 5,000 war elephants which the Greeks did not want to mess with. He defeated Seclecus who intern offered him a daughter in hand and most of Bactria(Afghanistan) and parts of Persia and in return he gifted him with 500 was Elephants.Ever wondered where did Hannibal get those Asian Elephants from when he invaded Roam? Those are the descendants of Chandra Gupta's war elephants which he gifted. Yet little is know of him in the west and i have to praise Alexander why would i do that?

I personally prefer not to praise anyone but if people only understand the language of chest thumping then i have no choice.

This will only turn into an History lesson for you. Dont go and read about Chandra Gupta on Wikepedia. :D

Here is an Quote of an Greek writer during ancient times who speaks of Chandra Gupta.

"But the Prasii surpass in power and glory every other people, not only in this quarter, but one may say in all India, their capital Palibothra, a very large and wealthy city, after which some call the people itself the Palibothri,--nay even the whole tract along the Ganges. Their king has in his pay a standing army of 600,000-foot-soldiers, 30,000 cavalry, and 9,000 elephants: whence may be formed some conjecture as to the vastness of his resources."

Here is another ancient Greek Historian called Strabo who describes him.
"Megasthenes was in the camp of Sandrocottus(Chandra Gupta), which consisted of 400,000 men"

Wrong. You ignored my response yet again, as I have already detailed that both killed tens of thousands of civilians, but the difference was that Ashoka lived on to learn the follies of war, where as Alexander was killed by the age of 32-33.
I could say your Wrong! Again i ask you repeatedly do you honestly think Alexander would have refrained from killing even if he had lived that long? At all accounts he could not have.

So did the Romans, the Parthians/Sassanids, even the Indians themselves learned from Alexanders conquests. Are they all Nazis too? lol

Yet again, you accuse me (straw man argument) of comparing Ashoka and Alexander as being identical (when I did not), yet you compare Alexander, Napoleon, and Hitler as being the same. :pound:
Again your twisting my argument, show me where i said they are the same? If you cant then you must understand what i say, I said that Alexander INSPIRES people to do wrong things by glorifying war. Napolean,Hitler etc., Have take inspriation from Alexander and his ways. That is why Asoka is a better example to emulate to kids, if your interested in really making the world peaceful and changing it.!
The distinctions you make you do not extend to others I'm afraid, and that is a one-sided view of history. Even Napoleon with his Caesarism complex was nowhere near as bad as Hitler, and Alexander in turn was not as murderous as the Nazis or even the French Directorate. When did Alexander believe that certain races of people were subhuman in the way that Hitler did? When did Napoleon do the same? lol It is interesting though you mention Carl Sagan, a great scientific thinker who I am well versed in his writings and documentaries, and I think even he would tell you that one of the great legacies of Alexanders conquests was the establishment of the Library of Alexandria:
I expand the world into an eternal and infinitive thing that cant be conquered or ruled and you quickly shrink it back to a small place like Alexandria. That was not the point i posted it. I can post another Video of Sagan where he praises India and how Indians where the only ones who came close in the ancient world to ascertain the age of the Universe to 8 billion years and he also credited how the Indian Numeral system changed the way we do Science and Math and we can go on posting videos. That would be besides the point, the point is Asoka emulates the in-conquerablity of the universe which is Good lesson of kids.

Of course your reference to the Pale Blue Dot is valid, and yes I do agree that people should stop killing and instead work together for a common goal to reach for the stars, it's a shame however that the Nazis, Communists, emperors, and others of this world both past and present failed to learn this lesson, and that includes both Alexander and Ashoka; Emperors of their own imperialist kingdoms. Ashoka is different only because he learned his lessons after he killed up to 100,000 people in the Kalinga War.
You again trivialize it, not many Emperors have refrained from killing in the History of the world not even little Kings. No modern government has the courage to take that path and risk being destroyed.

I've already seen this video, dozens of times in fact. In fact I have gone one step further than this and have read everything Carl Sagan has ever written, and watched his documentary titled Cosmos; which is where I referenced the above video about the Library of Alexandria from. There has never been a greater or larger institution of learning in the ancient world, and it is a shame it was destroyed by Caesar, Aurelian, and the Christians (Theodosius).
Again this is an western idea that nothing could have been bigger. Nalanda was as big if not bigger and it was the first University ever built and it housed 10,000 students from all over the world right form Greece,Persia,China and rest of the world. It had the first dormitories where students can stay and learn Math,Science, Occult, Spirituality etc.,

A quote from a western historian.
...virtually the entire range of world knowledge then available. Courses were drawn from every field of learning, Buddhist and Hindu, sacred and secular, foreign and native. Students studied science, astronomy, medicine, and logic as diligently as they applied themselves to metaphysics, philosophy, Samkhya, Yoga-shastra, the Veda, and the scriptures of Buddhism. They studied foreign philosophy likewise.

No, I said that because the Indians did lose land slowly to the Persians prior to Alexanders conquests, although yes the Indians did on other occasions defend well against the Persian armies. I was not contesting this, rather showing that they were losing slowly against the Persians. It was not until Alexander conquered the Persians that the Mauryan empire was able to expand and capture those lost regions with considerable excess.
I think i explained the history lesson above with Chandragupta and Selecus etc.,

What is 'Christian' about wanting to spread democracy everywhere? What about increasing the living standard of the average person in every place? Have you got a better system than democracy, or are you just going to give me empty placards of moral equivalence and relativism? What aspects of culture are in conflict with the proposition I put forward? Unsurprisingly you are misrepresenting my position and providing that I somehow support rampant evangelism, colonialism or fascism; when I have said nothing a long those lines.

Also the argument that everyone should dress, act, and behave like Mohammad is laughable. What has that have to do with anything, let alone spreading democracy or western values of any kind? lol I would strongly suggest people actually refrain from behaving in a similar manner to a desert dwelling psychopath who raided caravans and killed Jews and Pagans for a living.
What Muhammadans do is what Westerners do as well, you impose democracy by the sword or gun and convert people not to mention laugh at people who are tribals and live in original settlements and impose western culture like with Aboriginals who where an happy people now they are just drunks and confused people.

A bit off-topic but you said the British where kinder than the Muslims towards Indians that is not true, when you compare what happened to Native Americans, African Slaves or even a small people like the inhabitants of Diego Garcia what happened to them? The only LOGICAL reason is Hindus resisted both Islamics and Colonists.

'My way' or 'My religion is the true one' (if that is what you are inferring) is actually a common belief in all religions, including Buddhism which considers other faiths as being part of ignorance in the three poisons. Yet again you aren't clear here, rather tarring me with the same brush but not elaborating on why the points I actually made are actually Christian or dogmatic in nature.
Explained above.

You do not need to show me any opposite side of any coin of any conflict that I am already expressing my views in. I am well aware of all the major civilizations of the ancient world, and as I have said already, for the third time; I do admire Indian culture for some of its wisdom and philosophy, although I will point out it is far from perfect in itself since it is common here for people to go on a rant/bash about western culture with little effort on self-reflection or analysis of your own. I never glorify every aspect of western civilization, only certain aspects pertaining to spreading democracy, science, education, capitalism, and ending all forms of superstition, racism, xenophobia, poverty, tyranny, genocide, etc... there is nothing distinctly 'Christian' about any of this, if you knew anything about the core tenets of early Christianity; they actually espouse anti-semitism and communism (they actually promoted equal distribution in a community form, not that different to Marxism). Quite a sizable number of atheists already know this and could tell you as well.

Yet again, what is self-righteous or religiously convicted about the values I espouse? I would agree though that perhaps we do wish to see eye to eye, but only when you stop misinterpreting what I am saying.
I am not tarring everyone mate but i do have to voice my POV. I know there are a lot of good people around such as yourself or Carla Sagan for that matter but west is not all perfect. You said: "never glorify every aspect of western civilization, only certain aspects pertaining to spreading democracy, science, education, capitalism, and ending all forms of superstition, racism, xenophobia, poverty, tyranny, genocide, etc.."

If you really think the west is concerned about ending Poverty your dead wrong. For that matter even if the west is interested in educating the poor, i dont think so. Even at this age of Science we see majority of the world is in poverty even when the Earth can feed more than 10billion people there are many who die of hunger.

As of genocide what happened in Dawfaur beats me. They did not do anything yet you claim Yugoslavia as one little example, which is an exception to the rule as Clinton was there.

Tyrants? Dont you know USA supported Saddam Hussein? Or it still supports Saudi Arabia? While throwing mute heckles at China it still allows its economy to be boosted while it sanctions and starves North Korea. Loads of Hypocrisy right there.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
^^Just a minor correction, GK.

The elephants that Hannibal used were African elephants that were native to the land ruled by the Carthaginian Empire. As far as I know, he did not have access to the larger, Asian elephants.

The Battle of Raphia in 217 B.C., fought between the Seleucid Empire and Ptolemaic Egypt, is a very interesting case. The Seleucids used Asian elephants acquired from India, while the Ptolemaics used African elephants. Although the Ptolemaics still won the battle, their elephants routed at the mere sight and smell of the larger Indian elephants.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
^^Just a minor correction, GK.

The elephants that Hannibal used were African elephants that were native to the land ruled by the Carthaginian Empire. As far as I know, he did not have access to the larger, Asian elephants.

The Battle of Raphia in 217 B.C., fought between the Seleucid Empire and Ptolemaic Egypt, is a very interesting case. The Seleucids used Asian elephants acquired from India, while the Ptolemaics used African elephants. Although the Ptolemaics still won the battle, their elephants routed at the mere sight and smell of the larger Indian elephants.
As to where Hannibal got his elephants from no one knows. One can state the Seleucus Nector when he returned from India to Europe must have had to put his Elephants some where? I think he may have traded it away with Ptolemaic Egypt etc., Know one really knows about the origin of the Elephants but i am sure they where gained while in exchange with Indian Culture.

Later Ptolemy II Philadelphus, the ruler of Ptolemaic Egypt and contemporary of Ashoka the Great, is also recorded by Pliny the Elder as having sent an ambassador named Dionysius to the Mauryan courts. Ptolemaic Egypt sent an Ambassador to Maurya and there was an exchange of trade of sorts and Elephants could have been involved. They where later used in Cartridge? Perhaps.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/18/science/the-mystery-of-hannibal-s-elephants.html

Last edited:

pmaitra

pmaitra

Evolution of Elephants

How do Indian and African Elephants compare in looks?

Images of Carthiginian Wars:

Artefacts from Hannibal's time and region (uncaptioned):

The interesting story of Ptolemy's elephants comes from another Greek 'historian' Polybius in Raphia (book V) ...

few only of Ptolemy's elephants ventured to close with those of the enemy, and now the men in the towers on the back of these beasts made a gallant fight of it, striking with their pikes at close quarters and wounding each other, while the elephants themselves fought still better, putting forth their whole strength and meeting forehead to forehead. The way in which these animals fight is as follows. With their tusks firmly interlocked they shove with all their might, each trying to force the other to give ground, until the one who proves strongest pushes aside the other's trunk, and then, when he has once made him turn and has him in the flank, he gores him with his tusks as a bull does with his horns. Most of Ptolemy's elephants, however, declined the combat, as is the habit of African elephants; for unable to stand the smell and the trumpeting of the Indian elephants, and terrified, I suppose, also by their great size and strength, they at once turn tail and take to flight before they get near them.

See the full article: http://2ndrelook.blogspot.com/2008/08/hannibalss-elephants.html
Suggestion:
The slanting posterior of the Indian Elephant differnt distinctly from the humped posterior of the African Elephant. From the pictures and the historical records of Indian Elephants being better in combat than African ones, one could conclude that there is a high possibility that Hannibal's Elephants were Indian indeed.

AOE

Alright well GK, I'll try to respond to most of the points you made on topic, even though it appears that some of the responses may be lost as you didn't quote your responses or mine properly, but I'll try to work with what I have quoted from your last two responses. I'll also only respond to those on topic.

Your totally misrepresenting my question. This also looks dishonest the way you twist Alexanders reasons for not going north to Britain. Such points are merely based on circular logic and no one can win such an argument when facts are twisted to win Discussions. Arabia was an strategic gate way to Persia and en-route to middle-east not to mention he had some superstition to go that way and prove some thing to himself. It was also a trading post and Egypt vassal state. Britain would not even have been on the way and was unknown to the world as Persia,Greece,India or other empires.
Arabia is a strategic gateway to Persia, yes, and Alexander used the main migration corridoor from the northern part of that peninsula to invade the Persian mainland I might add, but you misunderstood my point; I know that England, and most of Northern Europe was unknown, I do not contest that. The Greek view of the world was very limited at the time, and even later with the works of Erastosthenes. What I said is that there is historical discussions about the possibility that he might have invaded the Arabian peninsula. Maybe Alexander was told by Aristotle to dominate the region just incase OPEC sprang into existence over 2000 years later, but I can at least say it was not for dominating the Silk or Spice routes.

Your comparison of Pirates,Vikings and infighting inside Europe does not quite qualify as some External empire which ran sacks and invades. These are not invasions into Europe and eventually to Britain. Britian was Terra Incognita at that time as it did not lie in any trade routes which brought riches.
Same logic can be applied to many of the invasions of India; the Persians expanded in all directions, so did the Macedonians (well... eastward at least), Mongols, Muslims, etc... many of the invasions of the British isles were to extend empires or colonial powers, eg. the Vikings, Romans, Spanish/French, and the Nazis much later.

Nazis is in modern times.
Which does not take away from my point at all, although lets keep it within the scope of the point so this does not derail the thread.

Loveing History wont mean it begins at the industrial revolution and true historian would love every revolution like one with started with Humans leaving African,Using fire, Beginning of settlements, Agricultural revolution, Building of Cities, Religious Revolutions in Middle east and Asia, all that brought us here. When ever i turn on a western TV History channel all i see is western civilization and they call it an International channel. There wont be any west or western civilization if any of those revolutions failed.
I do like and appreciate most forms of history, I even stated earlier I admire some aspects of Indias history, just as I admire some aspects of the west, China, Iran (Cyrus the Great in particular), Egypt, etc... I never said that all history starts from the 'industrial revolution', if I have then please quote me, otherwise this is a straw man argument.

This was after 80years after Alexander died and the Greeks where still resting? They must have been quite tired then?
We're talking about Alexanders conquests, not the Seleucid Empire or the small Greek kingdom set up in modern day Afghanistan/Pakistan, and by the time Alexander reached India; his army was worn out, and on the brink of mutiny (for want of a better term). This is not to say that the Indians defeating him was minor, but you need to take all of these factors into account.

Again it was Chandra Gupta who was the Grand father of the Ashoka who fought the Greeks and defeated them that to against Seleucus Nicator, which you know nothing off. Chandra Gupta had no army or was not born to a King like Alexander but he rose to power on his own will and defeated the Greek Seleucus when he was no more than 23 and he Conquered North India,Afghanistan, large parts of Greek territory in Persia and also defeated the Nandas who the greeks feared to fight. They had well over 5,000 war elephants which the Greeks did not want to mess with. He defeated Seclecus who intern offered him a daughter in hand and most of Bactria(Afghanistan) and parts of Persia and in return he gifted him with 500 was Elephants.Ever wondered where did Hannibal get those Asian Elephants from when he invaded Roam? Those are the descendants of Chandra Gupta's war elephants which he gifted. Yet little is know of him in the west and i have to praise Alexander why would i do that?
Have I said anything at all about Chandra Gupta? No. Why? Well simply put, the argument you put forward originally was saying that Ashoka was more virtuos for X and Y reasons as opposed to Alexander, and he did not conquer Afghanistan; others have already pointed out in this discussion that he won that through a treaty or settlement, so much for your vast knowledge of Indian history. That is very impressive of Chandra Gupta though, so don't take it the wrong way.

This will only turn into an History lesson for you. Dont go and read about Chandra Gupta on Wikepedia. :D
There's nothing wrong with using wikipedia if the arguments or information is sourced and available (not just made up), and I have put into google one of your responses only to find wikipedia as the first result:

Later Ptolemy II Philadelphus, the ruler of Ptolemaic Egypt and contemporary of Ashoka the Great, is also recorded by Pliny the Elder as having sent an ambassador named Dionysius to the Mauryan courts. Ptolemaic Egypt sent an Ambassador to Maurya and there was an exchange of trade of sorts and Elephants could have been involved. They where later used in Cartridge? Perhaps.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/18/science/the-mystery-of-hannibal-s-elephants.html
The article above does not contain the passage put forward here by you, but wikipedia does. See under Marital Alliance, just before citation number 34. This only took me a minute to find. You might also want to clean up your spelling, as I have never heard of a nation in history as 'Cartridge.' :p

I personally prefer not to praise anyone but if people only understand the language of chest thumping then i have no choice.
Then perhaps you should stop chest thumping.

I could say your Wrong! Again i ask you repeatedly do you honestly think Alexander would have refrained from killing even if he had lived that long? At all accounts he could not have..
If you accept the argument that he would invade the Arabian peninsula, then most likely not; although who really knows? This is speculation.

I expand the world into an eternal and infinitive thing that cant be conquered or ruled and you quickly shrink it back to a small place like Alexandria. That was not the point i posted it. I can post another Video of Sagan where he praises India and how Indians where the only ones who came close in the ancient world to ascertain the age of the Universe to 8 billion years and he also credited how the Indian Numeral system changed the way we do Science and Math and we can go on posting videos. That would be besides the point, the point is Asoka emulates the in-conquerablity of the universe which is Good lesson of kids.
I wasn't narrowing anything down in the way you describe, I was simply highlighting your bias referring to him as a murderer; yet it could be pointed out that Ashoka killed a similar amount to Alexander, and one positive trait of Alexanders conquests was the spread of Hellenism (Greek culture, science, philosophy, medicine, etc...) some of which reached India, and the establishment of the Library of Alexandria. Yes I have seen Carl Sagans views on India and I very much like them, although he mostly talks about the Indian philosophical view of the world and the universe; rather than Nalanda specifically. I'm not going to repeat myself on the rest.

You again trivialize it, not many Emperors have refrained from killing in the History of the world not even little Kings. No modern government has the courage to take that path and risk being destroyed.
That was my point.

Again this is an western idea that nothing could have been bigger. Nalanda was as big if not bigger and it was the first University ever built and it housed 10,000 students from all over the world right form Greece,Persia,China and rest of the world. It had the first dormitories where students can stay and learn Math,Science, Occult, Spirituality etc.,
I wasn't detracting from that, but I will say that such a place of learning was destroyed during the Muslim conquests of much later. I have argued once before with someone that Indians established the first university, and I admire many of the different schools of learning that India did have at one point.

I am not tarring everyone mate but i do have to voice my POV. I know there are a lot of good people around such as yourself or Carla Sagan for that matter but west is not all perfect. You said: "never glorify every aspect of western civilization, only certain aspects pertaining to spreading democracy, science, education, capitalism, and ending all forms of superstition, racism, xenophobia, poverty, tyranny, genocide, etc.."
You accused me of neo-Nazism for using the term Hellenism, and you continually misunderstand and misrepresent many of my points; although this is not surprising, there are others here who are eager to do the same. So yes, that is being tarred with the same brush.

The rest of these responses I'm happy to talk to you either via PM, but they have nothing to do with the subject.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles