Akash Surface-to-air Missile

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think India should start considering converting existing BVR A2A missiles into ground lunched air defense systems. The biggest advantages are that these missiles are already in service, they're rather compact and long range.

eg. ground lunched AIM 120:

Their is a version of mounting R-77 as SAM..

But i doubt anyone have a look at it..

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Can Akash be modified to have VLS system? That will pave the way for naval version too.

p2prada

VLS systems are meant for ships. Akash has no use on ships.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
^^
Not in the current version, I agree. But is it possible to change this thing in version2 or 3? I mean if we can modify the launcher alone to fire VLS, the system as a whole can be navalised or not?

p2prada

On a land based system, a VLS will have to go into the ground. So, it will be static and completely useless in such a situation. A VLS on a vehicle is useless as the height of the vehicle will be massive and will make a nice target. As for Naval system, we have the Barak and the Barak 8 which is many times superior to even an upgraded Akash II.

We don't have a need for Akash VLS when we have Barak. What we really need on ships is a PDV variant in order to take out missiles and satellites in low orbit. Even if we navalize the Akash, the Navy won't buy it because of Barak program.

Akash is meant to take out aircraft. Barak is meant to take out missiles along with aircraft. Akash with it's current configuration will not handle missiles.

mayfair

Akash is meant to take out aircraft. Barak is meant to take out missiles along with aircraft. Akash with it's current configuration will not handle missiles.
I thought that Akash was designed to take out aircraft as well as cruise missiles.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There may be a problem with the R-77 as SAM, primarily on compactness as it has a large tail assembly:

Its Foldable, I cannot find the pic of SA-6 upgrade with R-77 mounted instead of SA-6, It was on a Expo..

Though here a pic of the R-77 Based SAM:

They are working on a newer model better than previous one..

p2prada

I thought that Akash was designed to take out aircraft as well as cruise missiles.
I hardly doubt it is the Akash. Could be the Mk2. But Barak 8 is still a better system. It reacts faster and is mated to a heavy duty radar.

p2prada

New R-77 derived models are being made. With solid booster and with RAMJET. They will have foldable wings and are meant for PAKFA.

john70

Country flag
A Rs 30,000 crore surface-to-air missile unit is going to be built by Bharat Dynamics

A Rs 30,000 crore surface-to-air missile unit is going to be built by Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) in Andhra Pradesh's Rangareddy district.

Chief minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Sunday laid the foundation stone for the project on Sunday, media reports said.

The project is expected to be up and running in 3 years. Spread over an area of 630 acres, the unit will manufacture around 6,000 missiles and create 1,000 officer-level jobs.

Missile units are being set up in Medak, Visakhapatnam and Ibrahimpatnam. The production of missiles will begin once the acceptancy tests are completed by the Army, Navy and Air Force at various levels. Cooperation is being taken from two countries for technology transfer.

"The facility will produce sophisticated medium range surface-to-air missiles. We will invest over 30,000 crore spread over the next two Five Year Plans (12th and 13th)," said BDL chairman and managing director Maj Gen Ravi Khetarpal adding the company can manufacture all types of missiles for the Indian armed forces.

"While some of the production we undertake is through foreign collaboration for transfer of technology, we also produce missiles developed indigenously by the DRDO. For others, we do our own value addition," he explained.

This is BDL's fourth manufacturing unit in Andhra Pradesh and the fifth such facility in the country. So far, it has produced over one lakh missiles.

sagar007

akash sam

can anybody tell me how akash sam with a range 25 km will counter if pla does long range bombing or air to surface missile having range greater than 70km or around which is possible?what will akash sam do?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
can anybody tell me how akash sam with a range 25 km will counter if pla does long range bombing or air to surface missile having range greater than 70km or around which is possible?what will akash sam do?
As it say 25kms, It shoot 25kms..

But Akash is part of a SAM network that means, It is supported by other Akash and SAM in the area..

sagar007

sir

As it say 25kms, It shoot 25kms..

But Akash is part of a SAM network that means, It is supported by other Akash and SAM in the area..
sorry sir, i want to have a better understanding.suppose new advanced chinese bomber sheyang j-15 release missile which has a range greater than 30km( some air to surface missile have range greater than 50km) to hit the target at the ground what would akash sam do since it has a range of only 25km?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
sorry sir, i want to have a better understanding.suppose new advanced chinese bomber sheyang j-15 release missile which has a range greater than 30km( some air to surface missile have range greater than 50km) to hit the target at the ground what would akash sam do since it has a range of only 25km?

all the radars of the airforce are connected with net centric warfare called AFnet.

h3

this will result in this

in future all the civilian radars and even army radars will be connected to get bigger picture, when that happen effective action can be taken against and airborne threat. Specially SU 30MKI which is deterrence after our nuke and missile against China.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag

drdo has once revealed that akash mk1 has even nuetralised flying object having a rcs as low as 0.02m2.hence even if chinese planes launches air-to ground missile from stanoff ranges the akash can shoot down the missile itself and not the plane when the missile enters it's engagement envelope.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles