ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

silverghost

Country flag
If the Opposition voice was more powerful then they would have forced Modi to go with 126 Rafales in whatever way conceivable. Rafale was not selected by Modi, but by UPA time.

All the opposition politicians care about kickbacks. I believe corruption has taken place in Rafale before 2016. French firms are notorious for corruption. And unfortunately Modi is protecting that corruption cos he has no option. If he starts to investigate that, we have to stop orders for Dassault.

But that’s an another matter altogether. There is no decent debate on defence preparedness in Parliament, that should have forced the govt to do something.
Did the UPA negotiations even come close to a deal for the 126 fighter jets? You don't have to take my word for it. Here is what the Supreme court said when Congress & it's cohorts challenged the Rafale deal.
“The need for the aircraft is not in doubt. The quality of the aircraft is not in question. It is also a fact that the long negotiations for procurement of 126 MMRCAs have not produced any result, and merely conjecturing that the initial RFP could have resulted in a contract is of no use,” the court had said."
Regarding the nos. India could have gone for 126 jets if it had the cash, after all according to the CAG report submitted to Rajya Sabha the price was 2.86% cheaper.
Also, can you educate us on how one gets kickbacks in a Govt to Govt deal with no middleman? BTW, the SC also gave a ruling on the selection of an Indian partner as well. So unless you have some inside info. in this matter, your inferences are allegations and nothing more.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Did the UPA negotiations even come close to a deal for the 126 fighter jets? You don't have to take my word for it. Here is what the Supreme court said when Congress & it's cohorts challenged the Rafale deal.
“The need for the aircraft is not in doubt. The quality of the aircraft is not in question. It is also a fact that the long negotiations for procurement of 126 MMRCAs have not produced any result, and merely conjecturing that the initial RFP could have resulted in a contract is of no use,” the court had said."
Regarding the nos. India could have gone for 126 jets if it had the cash, after all according to the CAG report submitted to Rajya Sabha the price was 2.86% cheaper.
Also, can you educate us on how one gets kickbacks in a Govt to Govt deal with no middleman? BTW, the SC also gave a ruling on the selection of an Indian partner as well. So unless you have some inside info. in this matter, your inferences are allegations and nothing more.
Forget about going back. First reading my post “properly” would have made sense in the first place. G2G deal was signed in 2016. I said corruption may have taken place before 2016 and money paid to middleman even if IAF had wanted Rafale. Dassault and French firms are famous for corruption. An case has been opened in French courts of Dassault had paid any middleman any money. But it was before 2016 and Modi’

It’s what I would call “STUPID” post. I never said UPA concluded the deal for 126. I said the Opposition should have forced the govt to go for 126 Rafales instead of 36. That’s what an responsible opposition in any country would have done. But since they are silent, Modi govt is silent on expanding IAF or IN capabilities not giving orders for completed projects .

Oh God!!!!

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
So what is the current status of MWF? The metal cutting had started in February of 2021. The first prototype is being fabricated as we speak, so when can see a rollout? I think by next year or 2025, if they push it any further, then I am gonna be pissed. If MMRCA gets scrapped like it's predecessor then we are gonna see mass orders for Tejas Mk-2s, just a while back the Indian Airforce placed an order for additional 100 Tejas MK-1As, showcasing their confidence in the platform, the same can be expected from the IAF on MK-2. Sincerely wishes for the same, I as I want to lay my eyes on her when she first rolls out!🙏

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
So what is the current status of MWF? The metal cutting had started in February of 2021. The first prototype is being fabricated as we speak, so when can see a rollout? I think by next year or 2025, if they push it any further, then I am gonna be pissed. If MMRCA gets scrapped like it's predecessor then we are gonna see mass orders for Tejas Mk-2s, just a while back the Indian Airforce placed an order for additional 100 Tejas MK-1As, showcasing their confidence in the platform, the same can be expected from the IAF on MK-2. Sincerely wishes for the same, I as I want to lay my eyes on her when she first rolls out!🙏
Ada said by end of next year or first quarter of 25

silverghost

Country flag
Forget about going back. First reading my post “properly” would have made sense in the first place. G2G deal was signed in 2016. I said corruption may have taken place before 2016 and money paid to middleman even if IAF had wanted Rafale. Dassault and French firms are famous for corruption. An case has been opened in French courts of Dassault had paid any middleman any money. But it was before 2016 and Modi’

It’s what I would call “STUPID” post. I never said UPA concluded the deal for 126. I said the Opposition should have forced the govt to go for 126 Rafales instead of 36. That’s what an responsible opposition in any country would have done. But since they are silent, Modi govt is silent on expanding IAF or IN capabilities not giving orders for completed projects .

Oh God!!!!
First of all, learn to be civil. I can also call you choice words laced with expletives and you won't like any of that. All this could have, should have has nothing to do with facts. Modi Govt's stand is for everybody to see, they want to buy indigenous stuff even if it takes time. The list of what one can't import is steadily increasing. This is an indirect way of messaging the military that other than a few strategic stuff these are your choices. If you want good stuff work with the indigenous vendors, improve them & eventually buy from them. Now, whether it expands or limits one's capabilities is for the military to decide.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
First of all, learn to be civil. I can also call you choice words laced with expletives and you won't like any of that. All this could have, should have has nothing to do with facts. Modi Govt's stand is for everybody to see, they want to buy indigenous stuff even if it takes time. The list of what one can't import is steadily increasing. This is an indirect way of messaging the military that other than a few strategic stuff these are your choices. If you want good stuff work with the indigenous vendors, improve them & eventually buy from them. Now, whether it expands or limits one's capabilities is for the military to decide.
Understand the difference between calling someone “stupid” and calling a “stupid” post. I never get personal or have abused someone on this forum.

You can support Modi govt on defence all you want. But his only good period was 14-16 when MP was the DM. That’s it. After that period, it’s simply floundering. Modi doesn’t seem to do anything cos he doesn’t understand Engineering or manufacturing. He hasn’t whipped his whip or reined his officers. The lesser we talk about Rajnath Singh, the better. Minus corruption he would give a tough competition to AK Anthony in decision making.

Read the news today about artillery RFI meet just to get an example. Of course you never even read my initial posts properly and decided to talk something else as an standard response.

kamaal

Country flag
Not ambitious or optimistic, but it's the same typical sarkari attitude of "Lets give early timeline for now, we'll see afterwards".
They have been doing this for seven decades, there zero accountability on ADA/HAL and IAF's part.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Guess no updates for this project. After teasing for years that ADA-HAL combo is going to proceed with in house money, it appears even nearly after a year of CCS clearance, money hasn’t reached the project. Atleast the jigs should have been ready by now. There is no update whatsoever on mk2. With new Mk1A orders, mk2 will enter service only by 2032 I guess

raju1982

Country flag
Not ambitious or optimistic, but it's the same typical sarkari attitude of "Lets give early timeline for now, we'll see afterwards".
They have been doing this for seven decades, there zero accountability on ADA/HAL and IAF's part.
Fed up with DRDO timelines. Hearning about Tejas mk2 for last many years. The canard thing in Tejas also a decade old i guess.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag

Decks Cleared For Joint Production Of General Electric F-414 Engines For Tejas Mk2 And AMCA Mk-1, As US Grants All Necessary Clearance
UJJWAL SHROTRYIASaturday, November 18, 2023 7:46 pm IST

In a very significant move, the United States government has given all necessary permissions to India for the joint manufacturing of General Electric (GE) F-414 jet engines for Tejas Mk2 and Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) Mk-1 fighter jets.

India has earlier selected GE F-414 engines for powering Tejas Mk2 and the first two squadrons of AMCA Mk-1 fighter jets.

In a statement to ANI, Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chairman Dr. Samir V. Kamat said that India will jointly co-manufacture these engines with GE for Tejas Mk2 and the first two squadrons of AMCA, as all the clearances have been received from the US.

Just five months ago, in June 2023, when Prime Minister Modi visited the US, India signed a deal to co-produce GE F-414 engines in India.

Under the deal, these jet engines will be manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) in collaboration with GE, with close to eighty percent transfer of technology (ToT).

In August, the US Congress also gave approval for this joint deal.

With this approval given by the US government, all decks have been cleared for the joint production of this engine by HAL. This joint production will transfer several crucial aspects of manufacturing jet engines to India.

These includes special coating for erosion and corrosion, repair technology for turbines, compression disc and blades, coating and machining of single crystal turbine blades, machining and coating of hot end parts, complete tech transfer for blisk machining, machining of powder metallurgy, polymer matrix composite, laser drilling for combustion, and bottle boring of shafts.

This will also mark the beginning of a new chapter in India-US defence relations as the US government has never shared this level of technology with any other nation, not even with its treaty allies like the UK, France, and Australia.

The GE F-414 engines produce 98 kN of thrust and will allow the in-development Tejas Mk2 to lift heavier payloads to longer ranges, increasing its combat potential.

GE's F-404 engines already power Tejas Mk-1 and Tejas Mk-1A jets

kamaal

Country flag
IAF is divided in 2 parts, one wants a medium weight LCA and others don't see any application of MK2 in 5th gen era(as Shiv Aroor once said). But the recent experience of South Korea with F35 jet shows that 5th gen jet are good for special missions and not economical for regular air patrolling. You need a 4.5 gen jet with low maintenance cost and turn around time for doing the daily job. With limited airborne time of LCA MK1 it'll be turned into a dedicated interceptor and MRFA/MK2 will take over the patrolling duties.

MK2 has started making it's mark amongst the IAF team & MoD, we may see some proactive steps in near future.

abingdonboy

Country flag
View attachment 232909

For whatever it's worth 🥹
As always intentional sabotage or peak incompetence is impossible to discern but the end result is the same

In 2030s some form of MRFA will still exist because these clowns/sellouts today are doing everything in their power to fumble this very simple formula- fund LCA MK.2, AMCA+its engine and upgrade the SU-30s and there’s 0 need for imported fighters for the IAF ever again

abingdonboy

Country flag
IAF is divided in 2 parts, one wants a medium weight LCA and others don't see any application of MK2 in 5th gen era(as Shiv Aroor once said). But the recent experience of South Korea with F35 jet shows that 5th gen jet are good for special missions and not economical for regular air patrolling. You need a 4.5 gen jet with low maintenance cost and turn around time for doing the daily job. With limited airborne time of LCA MK1 it'll be turned into a dedicated interceptor and MRFA/MK2 will take over the patrolling duties.

MK2 has started making it's mark amongst the IAF team & MoD, we may see some proactive steps in near future.
IAF are brochure babies, reality is hitting them across the face but they are still refusing to take the medicine

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles