ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

Gessler

Country flag
..............................................................................................

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Wait till iron fist, you will be pleased.

As for MER in side by side configuration is concerned, answer is no, well atleast till yet. Though interestingly Jammer is one requirement in LCA MK 1A for which they are considering two options for mounting. First is putting Jammer on outerboard with WVRAAM which will require MER in side by side configuration. Second opinion will see Jammer hard fixed on wing tips (like Eurofighter). If second opinion is opted no MER (side by side).

nitish.sarangi

hopefully Doordarshan will stream the event live on youtube.. Does anyone know if LCH is participating?

shade

Country flag
is Tejas going to be exported? they have a fine website for it here

nitish.sarangi

is Tejas going to be exported? they have a fine website for it here
There are media reports on export to Sri Lanka and possible Vietnam but first IAF needs to get these aircrafts fast. HAL should be on war footing to get things done. SP2 even has not taken to skies yet

garg_bharat

Country flag
Well LCA was conceptualized to replace Mig-21, which is a short-legged GCI controlled interception plane. This concept itself is outdated.

To accommodate equipment of a multi-role fighter, you need greater volume and thus bigger plane.

I think MK2 design may be further refined which may increase its size and load carrying capacity.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
It only shows lack of foresight on part of IAF. Anyway in two front war senario we will need low cost but technologicaly capable interceptor fighters in large numbers. Which when networked with force multipliers can effectively block any aggressing formation. Rafale or no rafate we can not affort 400 examples.

Regardless, LCA MK-2 naval verson will be in Mirage 2000 class. Now its upto IAF to ask for a land based verson of this fighter and equip its squardons.

AMCA is 15 years away, buying fighters is neither cheap nor speedy or easy. Its time to concentrate on local efforts and make sure they see end of tunnel evey time each time.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
There are media reports on export to Sri Lanka and possible Vietnam but first IAF needs to get these aircrafts fast. HAL should be on war footing to get things done. SP2 even has not taken to skies yet
Exporting weapons in general and fighter in particular is not just about economic gains but geo-political too. And in Sri Lankan case later holds much more than former.

We all are aware how we prevented Chinese foothold in Sri Lanka through diplomacy. But it's won't hold for long if we don't substitute. Sri Lanka needs fighter and if we don't supply to them someone else will. So in national interest we must export Tejas to Sri Lanka. To meet the requirement, either a new production line is set up or IAF's share gets transferred to SLAF. Afterall whatever we are talking here has National Interest in centre.

On side note, to equip IAF quickly, more than 16 per year needs to be produced. Even 24 per year is less given the dire need. So even if HAL builds another production line for meeting export requirement, in the end it's the IAF which will be the ultimate beneficiary apart from nation as whole.

In Vietnam's case. I think we should sell them not just Tejas but a package deal consisting two DRDO AEW&C, one Tanker and a good handfull of Tejas Mk1A. Even if it requires relaxed line of credit then so be it. Afterall it's all about National Interest.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Jaguars are being upgraded with ELTA EL-2032 MMR. So it is about to become a fighter minus dog fighting capablity. Good enough for Sri Lanka. Hawk option is also good.

Another is to re-sell entire batch of 20 Tejas MK-1 after upgradation, once Mk-1A starts arriving. But boosting Tejas production rate is a must, there is no substitute to it. And exporting Tejas to Sri Lanka will reap geo-political gains, which again has no substitute.

I for one is not in favour of re-selling Mirages. In fact i would love to see IAF buying 40 odd UAE Mirage 2000s, upgrading them with Israeli kit (EL-2052, Derby ER, Python, Spice and lighting pod) and filling two currently empty squardons. If we can get hands on Mig-29s with 10-15 years of life left then buy them too. If a combination of used Mig-29s and Mirage 2000 can make up for 5 squardons them lot of issues would get solved. In meantime Tejas will make up for lot of empty squardons.

We need to keep in mind that AMCA is the real future. And said measures will save enough money for it's smooth development yet keep squardron from depleting below critical.

Last edited:

smestarz

Country flag
Jaguars are being upgraded with ELTA EL-2032 MMR. So it is about to become a fighter minus dog fighting capablity. Good enough for Sri Lanka. Hawk option is also good.

Another is to re-sell entire batch of 20 Tejas MK-1 after upgradation, once Mk-1A starts arriving. But boosting Tejas production rate is a must, there is no substitute to it. And exporting Tejas to Sri Lanka will reap geo-political gains, which again has no substitute.

I for one is not in favour of re-selling Mirages. In fact i would love to see IAF buying 40 odd UAE Mirage 2000s, upgrading them with Israeli kit (EL-2052, Derby ER, Python, Spice and lighting pod) and filling two currently empty squardons. If we can get hands on Mig-29s with 10-15 years of life left then buy them too. If a combination of used Mig-29s and Mirage 2000 can make up for 5 squardons them lot of issues would get solved. In meantime Tejas will make up for lot of empty squardons.

We need to keep in mind that AMCA is the real future. And said measures will save enough money for it's smooth development yet keep squardron from depleting below critical.
Tejas are way better than Mirage 2000 even when Mirage have latest upgrades. Mirage 2000 RDY vs AESA for Tejas.. Its a no brainer.. Wonder why when some french members say that Mirage 2000 is superior to F-16, why does UAE want to keep its F-16 Block 60 and want to sell their Mirage 2000-9 which are considered one of the best and modern Mirage 2000 variant?

UAE uses both F-16 and Mirage 2000 and when they want to sell their Mirage 2000 that should suggest a lot.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Well LCA was conceptualized to replace Mig-21, which is a short-legged GCI controlled interception plane. This concept itself is outdated.

To accommodate equipment of a multi-role fighter, you need greater volume and thus bigger plane.

I think MK2 design may be further refined which may increase its size and load carrying capacity.
I have already proposed to drop LCA mk2 design and develop new LCA MK2 out of naval MK2 which is 1.5 m longer than current MK1 with 116 KN Engine. That shall really be a great plane of Gripen NG class. It will have very long range, Low drag, Low wave drag Wight under 7 tons and range of 3000 KM+.
If we work bit more hard, we may develop the stealthier version also. We have AMCA design in place to take clue out of the stealty design. Actually LCA MK2 (Airforce) is not the design which exploits the potential of LCA design fully. It is just been prolonged by 0.5 meter to bring it quickly. The optimum size according to aerodynamic studies is 1.5m longer i.e 15M+. Navy has given that specifications only. The new LCA MK2 I proposes may be delayed further by 3 years but it shall be a totally new plane. Very long range, 6+ ton pay load,highly maneuverable, AESA, In-build EW etc.

smestarz

Country flag
I have already proposed to drop LCA mk2 design and develop new LCA MK2 out of naval MK2 which is 1.5 m longer than current MK1 with 116 KN Engine. That shall really be a great plane of Gripen NG class. It will have very long range, Low drag, Low wave drag Wight under 7 tons and range of 3000 KM+.
If we work bit more hard, we may develop the stealthier version also. We have AMCA design in place to take clue out of the stealty design. Actually LCA MK2 (Airforce) is not the design which exploits the potential of LCA design fully. It is just been prolonged by 0.5 meter to bring it quickly. The optimum size according to aerodynamic studies is 1.5m longer i.e 15M+. Navy has given that specifications only. The new LCA MK2 I proposes may be delayed further by 3 years but it shall be a totally new plane. Very long range, 6+ ton pay load,highly maneuverable, AESA, In-build EW etc.
Stealthier MK2 is ok, but should not be at the cost of maneuverability.
Also I might suggest targeting pod internal and just below the nose

smestarz

Country flag
http://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/wallpapers/2014/09/05/437010/ca209276ed435ced1883f7729ac43af5.jpg
See this image, I might consider putting an internal Multi functional POD just below the nose where the plane Cannon comes out

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
We should follow the Russian foot steps they adopted in PAKFA. They made it using Sukhoi series as the base and added stealth to it. No maneuverability was compromised much. Whatever the maneuverability was compromised was made up by more powerful engine.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
We should follow the Russian foot steps they adopted in PAKFA. They made it using Sukhoi series as the base and added stealth to it. No maneuverability was compromised much. Whatever the maneuverability was compromised was made up by more powerful engine.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

Gessler

Country flag
Problem is availability of internal space, which is very minimal on LCA.

Already there is speculation that even the Mk-2 might have to carry an external IRST pod because very little space is available in the nose/cockpit area. If an internal IRST is possible, it must be a very compact one. Like the Skyward system.

Don't see where the space for an EO pod can be created there. Not happening.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles