500,1000 Rs Note no longer legal tender!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

airtel

Country flag
Currency demonetisation: Recession at gate or GDP at 9 percent

14 Nov 2016 06:42 PM | Source: Moneycontrol.com
Share:

Font Resize: A A
Demonetisation has happened. Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes are banned. There are serpentine queues outside banks/ATMs and experts are busy. There are high pitched videos, columns, tweets and Facebook posts by every expert about how poor are hurt and how this will kill trade. Roll back demands are being made from every arm chair economist, citizens dining in five star hotels but extremely concerned about poor, many chief ministers. Overall, air of the nation is thick with not only smog but also with pro poor and small business friendly experts and politicians.

There is a view propelled by gang of astrologers masquerading as economists that demonetisation is going to hit hard economy as cash will be sucked out of system and trade will stop. This hypothesis does ring true if one notices the plugging sales at e-commerce ventures, lack of crowd in markets and drop in foot falls at malls. No wonder all ‘Captain Obvious’ are at top of lungs on the incoming slowdown hitting Indian economy due to this demonetisation.

History tells us that events rarely follow obvious path and are shaped by unforeseen and unpredicted. Demonetisation is such an event. It is not going to slow down the economy but going to put this economy in high pedestal of growth. A jump by 2 to 3 percent in GDP, if not more by demonetisation is very much possible and for the first time in the world, we will see trickle up-effect in the economy than usual trickle down.

The first foremost and obvious effect of demonetisation is elimination of cash economy and shift towards banking system. Lot of people even without illegal money were not using banks and were saving in cash at home for variety of reasons. Now, all this money will go in formal banking channels and will find its way to formal earning mediums like mutual funds, fixed deposits, saving accounts etc. This will create a push and boom as the cash lying idle at home will be at work and will create contagion effect. Thosedormant ‘Jan Dhan’ accounts will now be kicking with life and in big way.

Even if 10 percent cash lying idle at household level, translates into Rs 1.4 lakh crore (USD 21 billion). Now this, USD 21 billion will be available in banking system and hence available to government/industry to kick start new projects/ build infrastructure. To get a relative perspective, FDI inflow in India in FY2015-16 was USD 40 billion while in FY 2014-15, it was USD 30 billion so the amount coming from dormant accounts to banking system alone is 53% of this year FDI and almost 70 percent of FY14-15 FDI.

The second kicker to the economy will come from fall in real estate prices. As per exerts and general perception, real estate prices are going to fall by 20 to 30 percent in general (black component of a deal). In India, in FY 2015-16, if one just take top 8 cities, USD 14 billion worth (Rs 90,000 crore) was invested in real housing (3 lakh houses in 8 cities at a 30 lakh average price though in reality numbers are much higher).

As per experts, real estate prices are expected to crash by 20 to 25 percent. This drop in prices even if we take 50 percent drop in number of transactions will leave more than 9,000 crore (USD 1.3 billion) money at the hand of these end users in just 8 cities and this amount will be 10x more higher if one account for whole country. This extra cash available with the consumer will go in other discretionary consumption and will either build the saving rates or drive consumption of services as well as consumable goods.

The third and not so obvious kicker will come from attempt of all back money hoarders trying to convert it in white. As per data released by RBI, India has Rs 14 lakh crore (USD 210 billion) in circulation in Rs 500, Rs 1000 bank note denominator. For a moment, if we assume on a very aggressive basis that 50 percent of it is white and declared income (fully tax paid), still there is Rs 7 lakh crore (USD 105billion) in black money. Now, these cash hoarders will try to use people with low income to transfer Rs 2.5 lakh in account. As per financial ministry data, India has opened 25 crore (250 million) ‘Jan Dhan’ account for poor people as on today. If black money hoarders were able to use 50 percent of these accounts (12.5 crore) to deposit cash, one just needs to deposit Rs 70,000 in each account. So apparently all this cash will flow back in system in next 50 days without any collateral damage to these money bags. However, the cost of organising this deposit program will range anywhere from 20 to 40 percent (as per figures being circulated in media/social media). Even if we take a nominal cost of this transaction at 10 percent being paid to these accounts (against 30 percent), it will be a commission of Rs 70,000 crore (USD 11 billion) or Rs 8,000 per ‘Jan Dhan’ account.

This 8,000 will immediately find its way to consumption as this is massive cash for these account holders and even if just 50 percent is spent, Indian economy will see pumping of USD 6 billion (Rs 40,000 crore) being spent in next 3-5 months. This class will binge on clothes, consumer goods and will create massive multiplier effect. However, for the first time multiplier will not trickle down but will trickle up as rural or low cost goods will drive the industry. So in a way, PM Modi has imposed huge wealth tax on the rich people and accomplished direct cash transfer to poor people.

Foreign investors pumped USD 10 billion in 20 months in Indian startups which put India on world map as third best country for startups and changed the whole mood of nation while creating many multi-billion enterprises. Payout of USD 6 billion in arrears to government employees in 2008 as per sixth pay commission, triggered consumption boom in India and insulated it from economic crisis which impacted every country. Hence, this total amount of USD 40 billion hitting the banking andconsumption sector in next 3-6 months is not just going to finish black economy but going to put India on an autobahn of economic growth.

PM Modi in his usual total out of box thinking, has just put India on growth orbit of a different level where a minimum jump in GDP by 2 to 4 percent is not ruled out.

Gear up, the age of India has arrived

http://m.moneycontrol.com/news/sme/...sion-at-gate-or-gdp-at-9-percent_7958761.html

biswas_k11

Face to Face
Country flag
IT IS NECESSARY TO TAKE HARD ACTIONS AGAINST THOSE WHO HAVE DEPOSITED FICN (FAKE INDIAN CURRENCY NOTES) IN THERE RESPECTED BANKS. SIMULTANEOUSLY BANK AUTHORITIES SHOULD AVAILABLE BANK NEW CURRENCIES IN METRO CITIES AND OTHER REMOTE PLACES. IT IS TAKING TIME TO NORMALIZED THE NEW CURRENCIES IN THE GROWING MARKET,BUT IN THE SAME WAY IT IS REQUIRED TO BUILD UP SECURITY MEASURE TAKEN BY REVENUE INTELLIGENCE SERVICES. WE LOST VALUABLE CURRENCY 500INR AND 1000INR DUE TO TFFC AND FICN RAPIDLY RISING IN THE NORTH EASTERN PART OF INDIA. THIS BLACK MARKET FULLY TRYING TO DESTABILIZED GOVT OF INDIA. NOW ITS TIME TO WIND OF CHANGE. THATS ALL.

republic_roi97

Country flag
IT IS NECESSARY TO TAKE HARD ACTIONS AGAINST THOSE WHO HAVE DEPOSITED FICN (FAKE INDIAN CURRENCY NOTES) IN THERE RESPECTED BANKS. SIMULTANEOUSLY BANK AUTHORITIES SHOULD AVAILABLE BANK NEW CURRENCIES IN METRO CITIES AND OTHER REMOTE PLACES. IT IS TAKING TIME TO NORMALIZED THE NEW CURRENCIES IN THE GROWING MARKET,BUT IN THE SAME WAY IT IS REQUIRED TO BUILD UP SECURITY MEASURE TAKEN BY REVENUE INTELLIGENCE SERVICES. WE LOST VALUABLE CURRENCY 500INR AND 1000INR DUE TO TFFC AND FICN RAPIDLY RISING IN THE NORTH EASTERN PART OF INDIA. THIS BLACK MARKET FULLY TRYING TO DESTABILIZED GOVT OF INDIA. NOW ITS TIME TO WIND OF CHANGE. THATS ALL.
Please turn your Caps lock off.

TheSeeker

Something needs to be done so that people of west bengal becomes aware of Fake currency being introduced through illegal bangladeshis .

It needs to come from Intelligentia rather than political level so that Mamata cannot make political gain out of it by alleging GOI

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Sir, methinks the PM is waging a war against a section of his own party who are very much involved in black money related activities.

A friend of mine, from MP, told me how the local politicians would get subsidized gas cylinders, but divert them to restaurants and make black money profit. There was shortage of gas cylinders for the common man. Modi clamped down hard. He said people will get subsidy but they will have to pay the full price of each cylinder upfront and the subsidy will be deposited to their bank accounts. Immediately, all the shortage ended and people were getting gas cylinders on time.
and @ezsasa, agree with what @Bharat Ek Khoj wrote. Modiji is a leader who gives preference to measures which yield long-term and long-lasting benefits rather than appeasement policies that yield short-term benefits. with him, application of norms has been consistent right from his CMship days, with even BJP partymen & supporters not being spared, some cases in point being the power reforms he undertook in 2006 esp under the Jyotigram Yojana and subsequently not relenting even after coming under intense pressure DURING Guj ass'y elections of 2007, to waive off the dues of about a lakh farmers who were caught pilfering electricity. there were protests yes, but also wide acceptance, much like the case now. thus, with him, it can be seen that the measures he undertakes are truly aimed at achieving far-reaching consequences and with long-term goals in mind which often would yield the results beyond the electoral gain-limit of 5 yrs.
(typing from a phone esp a windows 10 one is inflicting atrocity on oneself, so skipping some details).

Last edited:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
This proves that the demonetization drive is working. USD $71.5 billion deposited, $15.1 billion withdrawn, just $4.8 billion exchanged for new notes. But $51.6 billion added to the Indian economy as assets-under-management. That's $51 billion that Modi can spend to wage war on Pakistan, at whim.

republic_roi97

Country flag
That's $51 billion that Modi can spend to wage war on Pakistan, at whim.
Or we can use that money to build a fleet of nuclear attack submarines. :biggrin2: Armed with all kinds of indigenous torpedo and by that time we'll have our own sub sonic cruise missiles too.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Or we can use that money to build a fleet of nuclear attack submarines. :biggrin2: Armed with all kinds of indigenous torpedo and by that time we'll have our own sub sonic cruise missiles too.
Yes, that $51 billion is instant liquidity that the banking system and the government can do anything with. I'm sure they'll speed up defence projects with this. A lot of Modi's political promises can be delivered upon.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Yes, that $51 billion is instant liquidity that the banking system and the government can do anything with. I'm sure they'll speed up defence projects with this. A lot of Modi's political promises can be delivered upon.
This money belongs to public, the tax govt. gets from these deposits can be used for defense projects.

Modi is a PM he has to get approval from Parliament before taking these kind of decisions.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
This money belongs to public, the tax govt. gets from these deposits can be used for defense projects.

Modi is a PM he has to get approval from Parliament before taking these kind of decisions.
In wartime, banks' AUM is available as war-chest to the government, if a declaration of war has been made and given Presidential assent. The Indian banking system is managing a little over $1 trillion in assets. Still, it now has $51 billion more than it did 10 days ago. This money is white and every time it changes hands, taxes are earned.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
This proves that the demonetization drive is working. USD $71.5 billion deposited, $15.1 billion withdrawn, just $4.8 billion exchanged for new notes. But $51.6 billion added to the Indian economy as assets-under-management. That's $51 billion that Modi can spend to wage war on Pakistan, at whim.

No one had anything to back that it will doom the Indian economy but there were 3-4 big core benefits for sure.

@raja696 Thanks for tagging me. Nation as big as India and the kind of prevalent rot we have every where, such leakages are known to happen.

Having said that we must first ascertain if these leakages are actually happening or what is their level and extent causing adverse effect on demonetization.

There is plenty nonsense being paddled by opposition foot soldiers and many we have found to be false. The video you have posted proves nothing. I couldn't see money being handed over. Even if it is money; it looks like not more than 20 to 40 K, given the size of fist made to grab the package.

Sonia Gandhi's media slaves and Kejriwal like sick people are even spreading rumor associating deaths with Demonetization without proof.

As far as Banks conniving with agents and influential people is concern then I am finding it hard to believe that they will be able to cause any massive damage as 'limits' are there as safety nets and every single penny under concerned officer is accounted for . Even if they are misusing their authority, they can be easily audited and punished. They can take risk but it will fire back at them.

People who are nitpicking and investing time finding err in this move are not seeing the larger interest for obvious reasons. I subtly call these people "Jara Hat ke, Jara Bach Ke" kinds, who at the end of the day do nothing.

People are renting accounts, initially they were using their labor to stand in queues to withdraw money, bank officials were giving money out of line people for commission. I can list 'n' number of leakages that are happening all across India. In the very start I myself mentioned about would be discrepancies in implicating the scheme.

To support my argument that Banks can not do much to cater corrupt with loads of black money, I have heard Punjabi news today that Politicians have changed the tactics. Now voucher system has been introduced. Instead of cash money to buy votes they are offering vouchers so that people can buy goods from market of given value depending on number of their votes. The vouchers are used only at big trader's and the traders will be benefited with other favors as they will honor the vouchers.

I am glad the government has showed flexibility and changing tactics everyday; on the hoof. They know people have started expecting change everyday which keeps them engaged and hopeful for more liberal rules. This will reduce level of frustration before 50 days are over. Not only that they are assessing the situation and issues raised by aggrieving sections but are addressing sufficiently.

Many will say these are flip flops but those who can read it well, they know move as big as this warrant continuous tweaking. People with advance watching skills will see Modi playing offensive defense as main target other than counterfeit money has been bringing people into banking system. Modi being a politician wont mind if there are leakages as money may turn into white and his constituency of traders won't be hit hard, at the same time he will address poor people with confidence to show how he has knocked down rich tax frauds.

As I am getting information from multiple sources more people have started working in white. There were many who wanted to do it, were waiting for a kick. They saw paying tax as an unfair proposition because more manipulative ones were teasing skimming the IT.

Savings have gone done for sure, but markets are not at halt. Many people have preferred to buy goods with old currency from small traders than standing outside banks.

Irrespective of efforts of Media pimps and provocations by politicians people have behaved and believed in Modi's call. This the true picture is on the ground.

Like his vehement opponent Nitish Kumar said Today, 'Modi is ridding the Tiger bravely' and many moons ago POTUS said, 'Modi is 'Reformer-in-Chief', I say, 'I agree'.

Last edited:

raheel besharam

12 lakh bank robbery took place in kashmir :(

in a land like kashmir these 12 lakhs are more than enough to get decent crowd and carry out terrorism

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
12 lakh bank robbery took place in kashmir :(

in a land like kashmir these 12 lakhs are more than enough to get decent crowd and carry out terrorism
There was an article that pointed out double play of J&K police letting these Jihadis take their weapons without a fight. One can imply how these bastards are having free go in Valley against the writ of the government.

raja696

No one had anything to back that it will doom the Indian economy but there were 3-4 big core benefits for sure.

@raja696 Thanks for tagging me. Nation as big as India and the kind of prevalent rot we have every where, such leakages are known to happen.

Having said that we must first ascertain if these leakages are actually happening or what is their level and extent causing adverse effect on demonetization.

There is plenty nonsense being paddled by opposition foot soldiers and many we have found to be false. The video you have posted proves nothing. I couldn't see money being handed over. Even if it is money; it looks like not more than 20 to 40 K, given the size of fist made to grab the package.

Sonia Gandhi's media slaves and Kejriwal like sick people are even spreading rumor associating deaths with Demonetization without proof.

As far as Banks conniving with agents and influential people is concern then I am finding it hard to believe that they will be able to cause any massive damage as 'limits' are there as safety nets and every single penny under concerned officer is accounted for . Even if they are misusing their authority, they can be easily audited and punished. They can take risk but it will fire back at them.

People who are nitpicking and investing time finding err in this move are not seeing the larger interest for obvious reasons. I subtly call these people "Jara Hat ke, Jara Bach Ke" kinds, who at the end of the day do nothing.

People are renting accounts, initially they were using their labor to stand in queues to withdraw money, bank officials were giving money out of line people for commission. I can list 'n' number of leakages that are happening all across India. In the very start I myself mentioned about would be discrepancies in implicating the scheme.

To support my argument that Banks can not do much to cater corrupt with loads of black money, I have heard Punjabi news today that Politicians have changed the tactics. Now voucher system has been introduced. Instead of cash money to buy votes they are offering vouchers so that people can buy goods from market of given value depending on number of their votes. The vouchers are used only at big trader's and the traders will be benefited with other favors as they will honor the vouchers.

I am glad the government has showed flexibility and changing tactics everyday; on the hoof. They know people have started expecting change everyday which keeps them engaged and hopeful for more liberal rules. This will reduce level of frustration before 50 days are over. Not only that they are assessing the situation and issues raised by aggrieving sections but are addressing sufficiently.

Many will say these are flip flops but those who can read it well, they know move as big as this warrant continuous tweaking. People with advance watching skills will see Modi playing offensive defense as main target other than counterfeit money has been bringing people into banking system. Modi being a politician wont mind if there are leakages as money may turn into white and his constituency of traders won't be hit hard, at the same time he will address poor people with confidence to show how he has knocked down rich tax frauds.

As I am getting information from multiple sources more people have started working in white. There were many who wanted to do it, were waiting for a kick. They saw paying tax as an unfair proposition because more manipulative ones were teasing skimming the IT.

Savings have gone done for sure, but markets are not at halt. Many people have preferred to buy goods with old currency from small traders than standing outside banks.

Irrespective of efforts of Media pimps and provocations by politicians people have behaved and believed in Modi's call. This the true picture is on the ground.

Like his vehement opponent Nitish Kumar said Today, 'Modi is ridding the Tiger bravely' and many moons ago POTUS said, 'Modi is 'Reformer-in-Chief', I say, 'I agree'.
It is much more damaging than we think its not about 50k..

Yesterday I didn't get the video link so i posted another video.

Watch this video, u can see 50 lakhs original 2k notes are brought for exchange.

Its important cbi should trace this sting operation and catch the culprits.

If not charge tv9 for creating panic in the public.

Thats why I want you to check this video again and post it on pmo twitter. .. if ur convinced.

Check this out tv9 sting operation exchanging to new 2k notes by brokers doing door delivery.

Last edited:

rkhanna

Country flag
>>Data released by RBI....................<<

Yea but the Banks are simply buying GILTs and the yields are falling. They arent lending this money to anybody. Nobody has capacity to borrow. The B/S of banks look better till March 17 NPA's are released.

The Data tells only half the story.

DingDong

Country flag
43% cash deposited by Kashmiris turned out to be fake.
Kashmiri thugs have been scammed by their masters sitting across the border. 43% of their cash turned into ash. But be assured, they are as crooked as dog's tail, they will start to whine again after few months or may be a year.

indiatester

Country flag
Kashmiri thugs have been scammed by their masters sitting across the border. 43% of their cash turned into ash. But be assured, they are as crooked as dog's tail, they will start to whine again after few months or may be a year.
Was it discovered during exchange or verification after exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles