US troops to be deployed in dozens of African countries next year

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Next year US troops will go to as many as 35 African countries, according to media reports, where they will train local troops for any future threats from al-Qaeda linked groups.

The information has come from the US Department of Defense, whose source had said the Washington Post earlier this month that US troops would soon be en route to the nation of Mali in order to thwart the emerging threat of Islamic extremists.

According to the recent update, the mission of US troops to be sent overseas will be limited to training. Their engagement in battles is expected only after a corresponding order will be signed by the secretary of defense.

Among the countries mentioned in media reports where US troops will be heading are Libya, Sudan, Algeria and Niger, Kenya and Somalia.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
An important step to assist these countries to be AQ free.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Less to do with AQ And more to do with pre- emptive the Chinese who de spread all over Africa. Expect the Chinese to come out with a protest on this. Africa will be a geopolitical playground in the near future with all the resources

Patriot

Country flag
This is called strategy in real sense. This deployment is going to serve many objectives short term as well as long term. Encirclement of oil producing countries as well as targetting the AQ etc.. In addition having a foothold there before any body else does. This command can also be used as launch pad for various missions probably in Iran or Syria.
Americans also have unfinished business with Somalians.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This is called strategy in real sense. This deployment is going to serve many objectives short term as well as long term. Encirclement of oil producing countries as well as targetting the AQ etc.. In addition having a foothold there before any body else does. This command can also be used as launch pad for various missions probably in Iran or Syria.
Americans also have unfinished business with Somalians.

I think AMerica is trying to check China in Africa. A hard slug if you ask me given China's head start. The battle for the World's remaining resources is in full swing...

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Whatever ends up happening between U.S. and China over Africa, I have a feeling that the Africans themselves will end up as the losers here.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Whatever ends up happening between U.S. and China over Africa, I have a feeling that the Africans themselves will end up as the losers here.
It depends on how they play their cards... Although given their track record I don't have much optimism...

amoy

I think AMerica is trying to check China in Africa. A hard slug if you ask me given China's head start. The battle for the World's remaining resources is in full swing...
Isn't the battle btwn the most populated countries? America is getting self sufficient when it comes to resources.

There's an BBC documentary "Chinese are coming" on Chinese gold rushes in Latina America and Africa

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Isn't the battle btwn the most populated countries? America is getting self sufficient when it comes to resources.

There's an BBC documentary "Chinese are coming" on Chinese gold rushes in Latina America and Africa
Then America is trying to conserve its resources... They are willing to wage wars in foreign lands just to conserve their resources.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The major news media outlets in the US are not covering this story.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
On purpose maybe for a war weary American people?
The Obama toadies in the American press do what they are told. They related how Obama ended the war in Iraq and will end the war in Afghanistan. We will be told the US is nation-building in Africa.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The Obama toadies in the American press do what they are told. They related how Obama ended the war in Iraq and will end the war in Afghanistan. We will be told the US is nation-building in Africa.
US forces in Africa is a welcome move for me.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Probably not for for SF guys. Being a trainer for third world armies is not popular.
China is actively scouting for bases in Africa. Nigeria is often touted as a possible base. Chinese on the Atlantic Coast will certainly not be welcomed by the US

Global Defence

New threads

Articles