Taiwan upgrades fighter jets

Country flag
Taiwan upgrades fighter jets

Taiwan will this week receive its first batch of a fleet of Indigenous Defensive Fighters upgraded as part as part of a $587 million dollar project to beef up air defences, officials said Sunday.

An unspecified number of the domestically-manufactured jets are scheduled to be delivered in central Taichung city Thursday, an air force spokesman said.

The defence ministry is spending Tw$17 billion (US$587 million) upgrading 71 IDFs, or nearly half of the fleet based in the southern Tainan air base, as part of a four-year project which began in 2009.

"The rest of IDFs may or may not be upgraded, contingent upon our future budget," the spokesman told AFP.

The retro-fitted jet will be armed with four locally made air-to-air missiles, up from two, and ground attack bombs and missiles, experts say, adding that its radar, electronic fighting system and mission computer have also been enhanced.

The air force had been reluctant to give the green light to the project, first presented by the island's sole aircraft-maker Aerospace Industrial Development Corp in the early 2000s, experts said.

But Taiwan fast-tracked the upgrade in 2008 after the United States refused to sell the island F16C/D jets or upgrade its F16A/Bs.

Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou, the architect warming ties with Beijing over the past three years, renewed his call on the United States to sell F-16C/Ds while meeting visiting Paul Wolfowitz, a former US deputy secretary of defence, in Taipei Saturday.

The United States last year approved $6.4 billion in weapons for Taiwan, including Patriot missiles and Black Hawk helicopters. But the package did not include fighter jets, which Taiwan believes are necessary to close the gap as China rapidly boosts its military budget.

China angrily protested the package, temporarily cutting defence ties with the United States. Beijing considers Taiwan -- where the mainland's defeated nationalists fled in 1949 -- to be a territory awaiting reunification.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Hey, maybe India can sell Taiwan some LCA Mk-2 by 2020 and some AMCA/ FGFA by 2030.
Potential export market as well as a payment to China for selling the JF-17 and J-10 to Pakistan.

:D

mileycyruslove

yeah, chances are that china will scrape together a crappy copy of LCA mk-2 dubbed J50 by the year 2050.
Hey, maybe India can sell Taiwan some LCA Mk-2 by 2020 and some AMCA/ FGFA by 2030.
Potential export market as well as a payment to China for selling the JF-17 and J-10 to Pakistan.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
U mean it will take them that long to copy? Wow - and I thought the Chinese had really good copiers!

huaxia rox

i dont care what the chinese gov will have to say....but i hope the US can finally sell some F-35 to taiwan..........we need some good enemies.......10 years ago taiwan air force still had some edges over PLAAF but just in 10 years the situation has been changed....and another 10 years may mean taiwan can barely do anything to defend itself from mainland without the helps from the US.........that may dramatically slow down the buildup of PLA which is the last thing i wanna see.

huaxia rox

technically its not rite to compare taiwan with pakistan...pakistan is a nation and taiwan is a part of china.....u can compare pakistan with vietnam....or taiwan with assam.......if u like.

of couse if taiwan really wanted ur LCA and u sold them it....what else can i say???then maybe PRC would sell some weapons to the insurgents in ur NE.......

Country flag
technically its not rite to compare taiwan with pakistan...pakistan is a nation and taiwan is a part of china.....u can compare pakistan with vietnam....or taiwan with assam.......if u like.

of couse if taiwan really wanted ur LCA and u sold them it....what else can i say???then maybe PRC would sell some weapons to the insurgents in ur NE.......
Why does Taiwan have a separate flag and Government?? Pakistan is more a part of China then Taiwan.

huaxia rox

the offical name of taiwan is Republic of China....i said its part of china....i didnt say part of PRC.

u indians should be familiar with a bunch of govs and flags i guess......there r indeed lots of govs and lots of flags being used against PRC....even dalai lamas supporters have their gov and flag in india........more like makeups on a clowns face........just for entertainment purposes........

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
the offical name of taiwan is Republic of China....i said its part of china....i didnt say part of PRC.

u indians should be familiar with a bunch of govs and flags i guess......there r indeed lots of govs and lots of flags being used against PRC....even dalai lamas supporters have their gov and flag in india........more like makeups on a clowns face........just for entertainment purposes........
Dude - 65 years ago Pakistan WAS a part of India - British India. When was the last time Taiwan was a part of China - People republic or otherwise? I believe it was in 1895. That's a 116 years ago.
As for govs and flags etc, and supporting insurgents, I remember China actually supplying weapons and ammo to Naga rebels in India's North East back in the 80s and 90s.
As for Pakistan vs Taiwan comparison, it is simple - both are thorns in the sides of India and China respectively. China supplies Pakistan with Nukes, Missiles and Fighters, India should return the favor whenever they can - eye for an eye - right?

Country flag

The rest of the world has not "officially" accepted it is part of China.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Yes, Tibet, Mongolia, Taiwan are all part of China. Just ask the Tibetans, Mongolians and Taiwanese...

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Hey, so is the Northeast of India, Burma, Nepal, Vietnam - all part of China ... those people don't know it yet ...

debasree

Country flag

dont play with fire similarly we can help tibetans to start insurjency in urs soil.and uncle sam happily join with us to dislodge china from tibet.

mileycyruslove

Dude - 65 years ago Pakistan WAS a part of India - British India. When was the last time Taiwan was a part of China - People republic or otherwise? I believe it was in 1895. That's a 116 years ago.
As for govs and flags etc, and supporting insurgents, I remember China actually supplying weapons and ammo to Naga rebels in India's North East back in the 80s and 90s.
As for Pakistan vs Taiwan comparison, it is simple - both are thorns in the sides of India and China respectively. China supplies Pakistan with Nukes, Missiles and Fighters, India should return the favor whenever they can - eye for an eye - right?
don't you get it? the offical of Taiwan is called Republic of CHINA. the same government that ruled the mainland from 1911-1949. If you check taiwan's offical map, they still regard mainland and mongolia as a part of RC. I don't mind which government will reunite The whole country together at last, they are all chinese government. By the way, Taiwan has the same claim as mainland China to Diaoyu Island and South China Sea.

mileycyruslove

Officially, mainland and taiwan government are still in a state of civil war , and both regard themselves as the legal representative of China, which is very different from the situation between India and Pakistan who had signed the treaty to split the old India and regard each other as independent country.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
Hey - officially Tibet was NEVER a part of China since 1912 till 1951. Even before that Chinese emperors had asserted control over tibet sporadically. So, why is Tibet a part of China NOW?
As for Pakistan and India comparison - I will give you three parallels - three types ... East Germany and West Germany - ring a bell? South Korea and North Korea - know anything? North Vietnam and South Vietnam - sounds familiar?
A country is NOMORE decided by ethnicity alone. Those days are long gone. Political systems, economic systems, peoples aspersions, trade pattern and partnership are just as important. China and Taiwan are as different in those as India and Pakistan.
So, stop claiming Taiwan as China - you cannot have China's claim over everyone around you.

huaxia rox

1 didnt GoI support tebetans losers to form some clown SFF and the likes??

2 taiwan to PRC is by and large like kashmir to india.....now do u understand what i mean?

3 pakistan to china is a nation to china....pakistan is a nation..... PRC thinks pakistan a ntion...so does india....so does any country in the world.........but who thinks taiwan a nation?? no more than 30 banana republics.....

4 we ve kept doing what we need to do to cooperate with pakistan since 1963.......we have a tradition of 'do the thing then say it'......so when u gonna cooperate with taiwan.....when excatly?

The rest of the world has not "officially" accepted it is part of China.
if u ask me how all the govments think.....very opposite........more than 100 nations through out the world agree that taiwan is a part of china. is that offical?? apparently much more than the numbers of gov who might think kashmir a part of india (may be only 1 gov in the world).

Yes, Tibet, Mongolia, Taiwan are all part of China. Just ask the Tibetans, Mongolians and Taiwanese...
u ask different people u get different answers....so what?? ever tried to ask a punjabi if punjab a part of india???

Hey - officially Tibet was NEVER a part of China since 1912 till 1951. Even before that Chinese emperors had asserted control over tibet sporadically. So, why is Tibet a part of China NOW?
As for Pakistan and India comparison - I will give you three parallels - three types ... East Germany and West Germany - ring a bell? South Korea and North Korea - know anything? North Vietnam and South Vietnam - sounds familiar?
A country is NOMORE decided by ethnicity alone. Those days are long gone. Political systems, economic systems, peoples aspersions, trade pattern and partnership are just as important. China and Taiwan are as different in those as India and Pakistan.
So, stop claiming Taiwan as China - you cannot have China's claim over everyone around you.
u completely wrong.......

1 taiwan was divided from mainland simply becoz ideology.....we dont have religion or racial or caste problems btw us..........mainlanders and taiwanese can go alone very well in mainland...taiwan...or oversea nations....ideology can never divide a nation in the long run.......

2 not only we claim taiwan part of china.....very often some taiwanese esp KMT claim mainland a part of ROC (zangnan included)........what else can i say then???

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
2 taiwan to PRC is by and large like kashmir to india.....now do u understand what i mean?

They are basically two different countries. One wants all of China to be a Democracy the other wants the all of China be Communist. Who is going to win this never ending argument?

u ask different people u get different answers....so what?? ever tried to ask a punjabi if punjab a part of india???

You dont know what your talking about.

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles