Successful Test of Mumbai Monorail System

anoop_mig25

Country flag
thogy pics are looking good here but when i looked in locol paper they were bad.another point they wont he having ac is what i here . and i hope there would be passenger in it when it starts running

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
All metros should have monorails and better Rapid Urban Transportation so that using of private cars become less.

It will save on fuel demands and import.

In Singapore, I found an interesting phenomenon. They have different number plates for cars that are used by the owners only during the weekends. They also pay less road tax.

[email protected]

Poor decision making at its best. As a person who has lived in various metropolitan areas around the world and witnessed urban transportation in various corners of the world, this is like using a stick to split the water. I have lived for few years in Mumbai with regular commuting from Western Suburbs to Kurla, Churchgate and VT, I did this almost daily for 5 years.

Mumbai is trying a resolution which is best suited for Dubai. A fancy showcase system that makes very little dent to the root causes of issue, classic case of bureaucrats and politicians who have no idea what they are doing.

Instead of strengthening the existing local railways and road systems, which would have required tough decision making, Mumbai will be stuck with low impact, high cost mono rail system. I really feel bad for the average commuter, for a 8hour workday, on average he/she spends 3-4 hrs just for commuting. The time which would be well spent in constructive GDP growth, is just being wasted. Mumbai looses billion of dollars in man hours, just because of poor planning and lack of vision from politicians and bureaucrats.

I would really love to hear from present day residents from Mumbai.

Uxor

Illusive

Country flag
Mumbai is trying a resolution which is best suited for Dubai. A fancy showcase system that makes very little dent to the root causes of issue, classic case of bureaucrats and politicians who have no idea what they are doing.

Instead of strengthening the existing local railways and road systems, which would have required tough decision making, Mumbai will be stuck with low impact, high cost mono rail system.

Uxor
The govt is doing that too, they have laid additional tracks, a separate line for long distance trains and a lot of new train services have also started. But there is a limit to what they can do in the existing line(western) since there's no additional land available. Only solution is a underground rail system, land is like gold in Mumbai with few open spaces. Its expensive but a city like Mumbai deserves and needs it.

Coastal roads, Eastern Expressway and a new plan for Ferry transport is also coming up. But only thing that makes these projects useless is because of delays. The metro project has already delayed.

sob

Mod
Country flag
East Delhi monorail corridor status - NCRHomes.com - Latest News on NCR-Delhi Realty & Infra Projects
++

दिल्ली के दूसरे हिस्सों में भी चल सकती है मोनो रेल
Updated on: Wed, 25 Jan 2012
07:53 PM (IST)
नई दिल्ली, राज्य ब्यूरो : मेट्रो के
बाद दिल्ली में मोनो रेल भी रफ्तार
पकड़ सकती है। दिल्ली सरकार
द्वारा इस
उड़नपरी को पूर्वी दिल्ली में
हरी झंडी दिखाए जाने के बाद शहर
के अन्य हिस्सों में भी इसके पहुंचने
की संभावनाएं प्रबल हो गई हैं।
दिल्ली की मुख्यमंत्री शीला दीक्षित
की अगुआई में सरकार की एक उच्चस्तरीय बैठक में पूर्वी दिल्ली के
शास्त्री पार्क से त्रिलोकपुरी के
बीच करीब 11 किलोमीटर लंबी मोनो रेल लाइन बिछाने की मंजूरी दे दी गई। दिल्ली सरकार
के आधिकारिक सूत्रों का कहना है
कि बाकी प्रस्तावित
लाइनों को भी सरकार ने खारिज नहीं किया है। उन्होंने कहा कि हकीकत यह है, कि पूर्वी दिल्ली से शुरुआत की गई है
और आने वाले दिनों में अन्य लाइनों पर भी विचार कया जाएगा।
विदित हो कि दिल्ली सरकार ने अपने विजन-2021 में शहर में मोनो रेल
की 47.8 किलोमीटर लंबी तीन लाइनें बिछाने का प्रस्ताव किया था। इनमें से पहली लाइन रोहिणी सेक्टर-21 से लाल किले के बीच (28.5 किमी), दूसरी लाइन
कल्याणपुरी से पुल मिठाई (15.5
किमी) तथा तीसरी लाइन गुलाबी बाग से
दिल्ली विश्वविद्यालय तक (3.8 किमी) बिछाई जानी थी।
दिल्ली सरकार ने इनमें से दूसरी लाइन को छोटा करते हुए इसे
शास्त्री पार्क से त्रिलोकपुरी के
बीच बिछाने पर सहमति जताई है।
इस संबंध में सरकार के
अधिकारियों का कहना है कि भविष्य में दिल्ली की सार्वजनिक परिवहन प्रणाली मेट्रो ही होगी। ऐसे में चाहे मोनो रेल हो अथवा बसें हों, इन्हें मेट्रो की सहायक सेवा के तौर पर काम करना है। इसीलिए मोनो रेल
की लाइनों को मेट्रो लाइनों से जोड़ा जा रहा है। उन्होंने कहा कि पूर्वी दिल्ली की प्रस्तावित लाइन एक ओर शास्त्री पार्क में दिलशाद गार्डन-रिठाला लाइन से जुड़ेगी तो दूसरी ओर त्रिलोकपुरी में
मुकुंदपुर-यमुना विहार लाइन से।
रोहिणी से दिल्ली गेट आने वाली प्रस्तावित लाइन वजीरपुर, शक्ति नगर, आनंद पर्वत और अजमेरी गेट होती हुई जाएगी। अब
देखना यह होगा कि मेट्रो की विभिन्न लाइनों से इसका टकराव न हो पाए।
इसी प्रकार गुलाबी बाग से दिल्ली विश्वविद्यालय को जाने वाली लाइन शक्ति नगर-कमला नगर होती हुई बिछाई जानी है। इस लाइन के मामले में भी मेट्रो लाइन की बात ध्यान में रखनी होगी।
आधिकारिक सूत्रों ने
बताया कि सरकार इन लाइनों पर विचार करेगी। नए सिरे से इनकी फिजिबिलिटी रिपोर्ट तैयार
कराई जाएगी। इसके अलावा अन्य
नई लाइनों पर भी विचार किया जा सकता है।
Hindi News, News in Hindi Online, Dainik Jagran News Paper Website, दैनिक जागरण
new-delhi-city-8815810.html
So the first project is in the constituency of the CM's son and the second near the residence of the Lt. Governer of Delhi.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Poor decision making at its best. As a person who has lived in various metropolitan areas around the world and witnessed urban transportation in various corners of the world, this is like using a stick to split the water. I have lived for few years in Mumbai with regular commuting from Western Suburbs to Kurla, Churchgate and VT, I did this almost daily for 5 years.

Instead of strengthening the existing local railways and road systems, which would have required tough decision making, Mumbai will be stuck with low impact, high cost mono rail system. I really feel bad for the average commuter, for a 8hour workday, on average he/she spends 3-4 hrs just for commuting. The time which would be well spent in constructive GDP growth, is just being wasted. Mumbai looses billion of dollars in man hours, just because of poor planning and lack of vision from politicians and bureaucrats.

I would really love to hear from present day residents from Mumbai.

Uxor
It is not just about Mumbai. The need of the hour to take a completely new look at our urban planning. Can we do something to remove the pressure on our metropolitan cities? Some of the issues needed to be analyzed are:

1. Do we need to pump in so much of investment in Delhi, Mumbai or shift the focus to develop 2-tier cities?
2. Given development of internet in the country, integration of work across offices is easy. So, what are the ways to shift jobs out of metropolitan cities?
3. Cost analysis of high speed railway networks from suburbs 100-150km away from heart of city.
4. Development of facilities like park and ride for highly congested areas. Often, due to low parking space in such areas drivers keep doing the rounds of the area unnecessarily.

Also, it is not just the politicians who lack vision or planning. I have often seen people putting too much pressure on the infrastructure. Even those who can afford to plan have made such bad choices in deciding upon their work/home location. In case of Delhi many would stay in Noida and work in Gurgaon/Rohini and travel by cars. As individuals, we too often make wrong choices in deciding our work place and home location. Due to habit-formation most stick to the houses once bought, while one can easily rent and move to a place closer to office.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I don't think monorail is going to cut it in Mumbai. Mononrail should be used as a feeder system to Metro Rail. I think they re doing it in Delhi. I still think cities should invest in broader roads and better bus connectivity first.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag

amoy

pmaitra

no, please do not merge those threads.

i can provide my arguments upon request on why merging those thread is not a good idea.
Ok, I will leave it un-merged. Typically what happens is that these thread-lets die out and get lost in the wilderness. It is always a better idea to merge them to a bigger thread, so that it is easy to find them. Anyway, I will leave it up to other MODs.

pmaitra

IMO rapid urban transportation for mass transit deserves a separate thread such as monorail, metro etc. is diff. from "railways" which often refers to long-distance or nationwide networks.
You are correct, but we have placed all kinds of railways, trains, metros, monorails, trams under Railways, so that we know where to look for if we want to search for anything.

BTW, this is also urban transportation:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This monorail stuff is a great idea.

Even if it cannot solve ALL the issues, it will at least EASE it and make life a little less stressful.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Interesting idea, but it better have more cars like 8-10..

SLASH

This monorail will ply over an area which is not connected by the Mumbai Local trains. The monorail will ease the pressure off the Eastern Expressway. The route along the monorail is an upcoming area and would require a good transport system.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles