Should India change its national anthem?

India should change its national anthem

• Total voters

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Last edited:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Why do you need a patriotic anthem or song to inspire any patriotic fervor ? Shouldn't it be present per deafult...

What if it sounds peaceful ? Are you going to wage war on your gora neighbor ? In that case, any IA regiment war-cry would be handy: Bol Jwala Ma Ki Ja, Raja Ram Chandra Ki Jai or the eternal Har Har Mahadev.

:hair: What an inconsequential thread, but very much in line with expectation from our resident troll.
If it's so inconsequential why have you made so many replies? Save your unnecessary commentary to yourself.

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
What does that have to do with Western churches backing NLFT? That is about the local church there which probably does have NLFT members in it. A mission means it comes from outside. That is your own tribes stiring up local trouble. That was 14 years ago... I got Maoist activity recently.

Maoists lend help to NLFT for reviving extremism - Times Of India
You really don't have idea how are things in North east , these Christians get funds and weapons from Western missionaries .

Explosion in Mizoram temple - The Hindu

Terrorism in India's North-east: A Gathering Storm, Volume 1 By Ved Prakash

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I see a lot of people namby pamby-ing that they don't understand the National Anthem, yet too lazy to at least google it. To those uneducated literates, here is what it means:

(With Hindi & English meaning; Hindi meaning omitted where the words are tatsama)

Janagana = Janta, people
Mana = Mind
Adhinayaka = Lord
Jaya Hey = Victory to you
Bhaarat = India
Bhaagya = Destiny
Vidhaataa = He who guides the way/an adored person accorded the supreme importance appropriate to a god
Bhaagyavidhaataa = Decider/Deliverer of destiny

Janagana Mana Adhinaayak Jaya Hey, Bhaarat Bhaagya Vidhaataa = Victory to you, the lord of the minds of the people, the deliverer of India's destiny

Punjab Sindhu Gujarat Maratha, Dravid Utkal Banga : Self-explanatory

Vindhya Himachal Yamuna Ganga, : Self-explanatory

Uchchhal = Laharati hui, restless/frolicking
Jaladhi = Samudra, Sea/Ocean
Taranga = Lahar, Waves

Uchchhal Jaladhi Taranga = The restless waves of the sea/ocean

Tav = Tumhari, Your
Shubh = Good/Auspicious
Naamey = Naam se/In the name of
Jaagey = to wake up/to attain consciousness
Aashish = Ashirwaad, Blessings
Maange = Maangna, to ask for

Tav Shubh Naamey Jaagey, Tav Shubh Aashish Maange = We wake up to your auspicious name, we ask for your good blessings

Gaahey = Gaatein hai, We sing
Jayagaathaa = Jay Stotra, Ode to victory

Gaahey Tav Jayagaathaa = We sing the ode to your victory

Mangal = Kushal, Welfare
Daayak = Dene wala, the one who provides

Janagana Mangal Daayak, Jaya Hey Bhaarat Bhaagya Vidhaataa = Victory to you, the lord who provides welfare to the people, the deliverer of India's destiny

[video=youtube_share;r3TtgYuaVFk]http://youtu.be/r3TtgYuaVFk[/video]

If this doesn't give you goosebumps and unleash the fervor of patriotism in you, am sure nothing on this planet will.

Last edited:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I see a lot of people namby pamby-ing that they don't understand the National Anthem, yet too lazy to at least google it. To those uneducated literates, here is what it means:
I wonder whether the Brits or the French or the Chinese or the Russians have to "google" their anthem to understand what it means and then memorize the translation in a desperate effort to induce goosebumps! :facepalm:

It's a good thing at least the regimental battle cries are in languages that the jawans can understand. Imagine the Sikh Regiment being forced to cry, "Veera Madrassi, Adi Kollu , Adi Kollu"!! instead of "Jo Bole..." before leading a bayonet charge. What wonders it will do to their morale! :pound:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I wonder whether the Brits or the French or the Chinese or the Russians have to "google" their anthem to understand what it means and then memorize the translation in a desperate effort to induce goosebumps!
:facepalm: We Indians are a nation of diversity and of many languages. Deal with it!

Compare India to "the Brits or the French or the Chinese or the Russians" when they have 20+ languages with 200+ dialects spoken in their country.

And surprise! Circa 60% of Indians do not understand Hindi as well! So maybe India's National Anthem should be in English? But then circa 40% of Indians do not understand English as well!

So which language do you want India's National Anthem to be in?

If you cant bother to make the effort to understand the National Anthem, instead of acting the cool antiestablishmentarian, blame your poor education and hang your head in shame. :frusty::frusty::frusty:

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
ccani ↑
i wrote a post but cancelled it

in the end i feel that it is not worth changing the anthem

what we have may not be ideal - but changing it is going to open a can of worms -

better keep it as it is

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
double post ....pls delete it ...............thanks

Last edited:

pmaitra

It's a good thing at least the regimental battle cries are in languages that the jawans can understand. Imagine the Sikh Regiment being forced to cry, "Veera Madrassi, Adi Kollu , Adi Kollu"!! instead of "Jo Bole..." before leading a bayonet charge. What wonders it will do to their morale! :pound:
I already told you, the national anthem is sung in regional languages as well. Just translate it and sing it in the language of your choice. Even after telling you about the regional languages, you keep mentioning the same stuff. This has nothing to do with the Sikh Regiment crying "Veera Madrassi." Not at all.

BTW, if you translate the national anthem in any regional language, in most cases, a majority of the words will remain the same. For example, in "Jana gana mana adhinayaka jaya he," every single word is part of Hindi vocabulary. Tell me, what exactly are you going to change that into?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
:facepalm: We Indians are a nation of diversity and of many languages. Deal with it!

Compare India to "the Brits or the French or the Chinese or the Russians" when they have 20+ languages with 200+ dialects spoken in their country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Russia

Russia: Of all the languages of Russia, Russian is the only official language. 27 different languages are considered official languages in various regions of Russia, along with Russian. There are over 100 minority languages spoken in Russia today.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_China

China:The languages most studied and supported by the state include Chinese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Uyghur and Zhuang. China has 292 living languages and 1 extinct language (Jurchen) according to Ethnologue.[4]

Note that the USSR, which included Russia+all of Central Asia and most of Eastern Europe was much more diverse, yet their anthem was also in Russian, which was understood by the majority, but not all citizens. Chinese anthem is in Mandarin. Similarly, Indian anthem should be in Hindi, which is the mother-tongue of 41% of Indians, and understood and spoken by at least 50%+:

http://www.censusindia.gov.in/Ad_Campaign/press/DataHighlghts.pdf

And surprise! Circa 60% of Indians do not understand Hindi as well! So maybe India's National Anthem should be in English? But then circa 40% of Indians do not understand English as well!

So which language do you want India's National Anthem to be in?
Wrong. As demonstrated above, 41% of Indians list Hindi as their "mother-tongue". Are you assuming that everyone else whose mother-tongue is not Hindi does not understand the language?

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
honestly i wonder what you mean ....:-
It was a very straight forward answer .

is that happening at the moment? the various groups especially the entire eastern swath of india is in turmoil and insurgencies
hardly to be described as working together ...the present anthem does absolutely nothing to call for unity
Insurgencies are there because of the funds and proxy war . Government has already started to regulate those funds be it foreign or internal ones and for this time is needed and be it BJP or Congress government , they will clamp down the problem .

What the nation needs is achievement in all the sectors and the changes are already showing results in all the fields . AGNI 6 , Mars mission, Moon Mission , new latest technologies , improvement of living standards , cheap medicines , end of corruption . This is what the public needs

secnodly you wrote :_

i dont think anyone wants that ......certainly not me , never did i indicate that in my post

thirdky;-

so what langauage is it in now , pray tell ?
Some member wrote about making a new anthem consist of all the languages including English thats why i wrote like that , you can scroll back and check .

neither do i ......except that we have an anthem that doesnt reflect the aspirations, feelings , desires nor nature of the people of india
and so we sing something that hardly anyone knows what it is about

there are those of us who feel that india deserves better
National Anthem is not any issue , Singing few lines in Bengali is not any issue and i am pretty sure that majority of members here will sing poems in other languages including the foreign ones and even enjoy it and for them its hard to sing few lines of an Indian language .

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
I already told you, the national anthem is sung in regional languages as well. Just translate it and sing it in the language of your choice. Even after telling you about the regional languages, you keep mentioning the same stuff. This has nothing to do with the Sikh Regiment crying "Veera Madrassi." Not at all.

BTW, if you translate the national anthem in any regional language, in most cases, a majority of the words will remain the same. For example, in "Jana gana mana adhinayaka jaya he," every single word is part of Hindi vocabulary. Tell me, what exactly are you going to change that into?
Why cant Indians sing few lines in Bengali . is that very hard ?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Pardon me for butting in.

is that happening at the moment? the various groups especially the entire eastern swath of india is in turmoil and insurgencies
hardly to be described as working together ...the present anthem does absolutely nothing to call for unity, especially to call for unity among the different religions ? is babbles something about sindhi gujerati , but hardly enough imho
So you consider National Anthem to be the miracle cure for all societal problems?

so what langauage is it in now , pray tell ?
so we have an anthem that doesnt reflect the aspirations, feelings , desires nor nature of the people of india
It is in Tatsama (highly Sanskritised) Bengali. I have explained in details a couple of posts above, read up!

well, - - there are those of us who feel that india deserves better
Not a surprise, as nationalism and patriotism is at an all time low in India, for a plethora of reasons, poor education being one of them. BTW, are you an NRI or a PIO?

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
It was a very straight forward answer .

Insurgencies are there because of the funds and proxy war . Government has already started to regulate those funds be it foreign or internal ones and for this time is needed and be it BJP or Congress government , they will clamp down the problem .

What the nation needs is achievement in all the sectors and the changes are already showing results in all the fields . AGNI 6 , Mars mission, Moon Mission , new latest technologies , improvement of living standards , cheap medicines , end of corruption . This is what the public needs

Some member wrote about making a new anthem consist of all the languages including English thats why i wrote like that , you can scroll back and check .

National Anthem is not any issue , Singing few lines in Bengali is not any issue and i am pretty sure that majority of members here will sing poems in other languages including the foreign ones and even enjoy it and for them its hard to sing few lines of an Indian language .
it is a pity you reacted so fast

please see that i had wiped out that reply

when i saw your earlier post - that do we need to have controversy on everything

that was the sentiment i agreed with

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Pardon me for butting in.

So you consider National Anthem to be the miracle cure for all societal problems?
It is in Tatsama (highly Sanskritised) Bengali. I have explained in details a couple of posts above, read up!
Not a surprise, as nationalism and patriotism is at an all time low in India, for a plethora of reasons, poor education being one of them. BTW, are you an NRI or a PIO?
having had a bit of time to reflect , i have changed my mind ( pls see my replies to member @Deccani )

but appreciate if we can discuss matters without having to get personal ....thanks in advance , best regards
ps ( i qualify for both nri and also pio - if that makes some difference on this forum )

Last edited by a moderator:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I've never heard the anthem being sung in regional languages. Not in my school, nor in any other I know of in the state of Maharashtra. Maybe you had a different experience. Good for you.

I will make it more simple to understand and not so highly Sanskritized. Are any of those words used in spoken Hindi? Why should an anthem be so difficult to understand? It sounds like an entry in a literary competition. It's not just "Shuddh Hindi", it's "Shuddh Sanskrit-Bengali", which is gibberish to the man on the street. If educated people like us have a hard time understanding the words, imagine what the vast majority of Indians, some 600 million rural folk will think about it.

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
it is a pity you reacted so fast

please see that i had wiped out that reply

when i saw your earlier post - that do we need to have controversy on everything

that was the sentiment i agreed with
there was really no need for you to wipe out that post . the questions which you have asked some one else would even ask and asking questions and answering in our own way doesn't makes any one anti nation or enemy of the country . What matters is this that Indians are asking Indians .

pmaitra

I've never heard the anthem being sung in regional languages. Not in my school, nor in any other I know of in the state of Maharashtra. Maybe you had a different experience. Good for you.
Then translate it according to your satisfaction, and I am saying this for the third time.

I will make it more simple to understand and not so highly Sanskritized.
If you want to make it simple to understand, then you will have to translate it into Hindustani, which is a mixture of Hindi and Urdu with a good amount of Persian vocabulary thrown in. Do it. I don't think anyone has a problem with that.
Are any of those words used in spoken Hindi?
So you agree that all the words are indeed part of Hindi vocabulary.
Used? Yes. Just not on the streets. As I said above, translate it and replace those words with Urdu/Persian words.
Why should an anthem be so difficult to understand?
Why should the Indian Penal Code and Constitution contain so many Latin words like sine die, suo motu, ad valorem, etc.? Because, both the National Anthem, the Penal Code, the Constitution are sacred documents. I bet when you get married, your priest will chant the mantras in Sanskrit. Make sure you present your arguments to him.
It sounds like an entry in a literary competition. It's not just "Shuddh Hindi", it's "Shuddh Sanskrit-Bengali", which is gibberish to the man on the street.
Yes, Latin and Sankrit (or Sanskritized version of any Indian language, with same exceptions) will sound like gibberish. Sadhu Bhaasha is not meant for the commoners, because, it is influenced by or is derived from Sanskrit, which is a synthetic and sacredly preserved language.
If educated people like us have a hard time understanding the words, imagine what the vast majority of Indians, some 600 million rural folk will think about it.
I literary circles, "educated" would mean a generous use of Latin in English, and Sanskrit in an Indian regional language. As I said earlier, translate it and sing it as per your convenience.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles