Pakistan's Nuclear Artillery?

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
This is, purportedly, a very interesting Urdu-language article in a Pakistani paper, The News. I don't read Urdu, so as far as I know, this is just a recipe for chicken biryani.

According to some translations floating around, the article cites a "Western diplomat" claiming that former Pakistani President Pervez told US officials that Pakistan had developed "among the world's smartest nuclear tactical devices."

Now, since nuclear weapons don't take IQ tests, I think "smart" in this context means "neatness or trimness of appearance." In other words, miniaturized.

I don't know if any of this is true, but the Pakistanis seem to be making a lot of noise lately about their tactical nuclear stockpile. "Look at us! We have tactical nuclear weapons!"

Mark Hibbs, in a forthcoming article for the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, mentions that, during his most recent trip to Islamabad, he was directly told that Pakistan was developing very small, low-yield nuclear weapons.

A few weeks after his visit, Pakistan tested a short-range artillery rocket, Nasr. In case you had any doubt, the Pakistan's official press release stated that the Nasr "carries nuclear warheads of appropriate yield."

The Nasr is an artillery rocket — I have never before encountered this term Battlefield Range Ballistic Missile or BRBM. Usman Ansari in Defense News quoted a Pakistani academic, Mansoor Ahmed, arguing that "the diameter size of Nasr suggests that the warhead would be less than 1 kilogram, and would be of sub-kiloton range, suitable for battlefield use and could be a fission boosted sub-kiloton fission device."

I can't find reliable data on the Nasr, so I used the Mark I Eyeball to observe that the Nasr (top) looks a lot like an M30/31 MLRS rocket (bottom). Both rockets have a similar range.

The M30 carries a 90 kg unitary penetrator and is about 20 centimeters in diameter. That's actually too small for even the smallest US nuclear weapon ever designed, the W54. (Aw, look at the little feller.)

Now, of course, maybe the Nasr is 30 centimeters in diameter (I certainly am not/not claiming to be able to eyeball rocket dimensions to within a few centimeters) or Pakistan just made a really little warhead.

I really wonder whether Pakistan could develop such a small warhead with any confidence. The general view has been that Pakistan would probably need testing to develop a miniaturized plutonium implosion device, to say nothing of the sort of boosted little devil we are talking about. I am no warhead designer, but here is how the National Academies described the situation in 2002:

Pakistan similarly could manufacture and stockpile its enriched uranium fission weapons without further testing, and it could make progress toward a plutonium implosion weapon (perhaps even producing and stockpiling one of simple—and inefficient—design, in which it could have some confidence).

Now, as I have noted before "simple—and inefficient—design" is a term of art that usually means too big for a missile, let alone a little rocket like NASR. I am skeptical, I must admit, but still intrigued. This is a smart little puzzle, isn't it?

Jeffrey Lewis • Pakistan’s Nuclear Artillery?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Off course. Paksitan has tested all these designs and it's very reliable. And now they just use simulations :D

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
no one knew about Kirana hills for 8 years

no wonder pak is pouring 2.1billions into nuclear Program every year

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
developing a warhead for the cm400akg should be top priority now

The Fox

This is, purportedly, a very interesting Urdu-language article in a Pakistani paper, The News. I don't read Urdu, so as far as I know, this is just a recipe for chicken biryani.

According to some translations floating around, the article cites a "Western diplomat" claiming that former Pakistani President Pervez told US officials that Pakistan had developed "among the world's smartest nuclear tactical devices."

Now, since nuclear weapons don't take IQ tests, I think "smart" in this context means "neatness or trimness of appearance." In other words, miniaturized.

I don't know if any of this is true, but the Pakistanis seem to be making a lot of noise lately about their tactical nuclear stockpile. "Look at us! We have tactical nuclear weapons!"

Mark Hibbs, in a forthcoming article for the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, mentions that, during his most recent trip to Islamabad, he was directly told that Pakistan was developing very small, low-yield nuclear weapons.

A few weeks after his visit, Pakistan tested a short-range artillery rocket, Nasr. In case you had any doubt, the Pakistan's official press release stated that the Nasr "carries nuclear warheads of appropriate yield."

The Nasr is an artillery rocket — I have never before encountered this term Battlefield Range Ballistic Missile or BRBM. Usman Ansari in Defense News quoted a Pakistani academic, Mansoor Ahmed, arguing that "the diameter size of Nasr suggests that the warhead would be less than 1 kilogram, and would be of sub-kiloton range, suitable for battlefield use and could be a fission boosted sub-kiloton fission device."

I can't find reliable data on the Nasr, so I used the Mark I Eyeball to observe that the Nasr (top) looks a lot like an M30/31 MLRS rocket (bottom). Both rockets have a similar range.

The M30 carries a 90 kg unitary penetrator and is about 20 centimeters in diameter. That's actually too small for even the smallest US nuclear weapon ever designed, the W54. (Aw, look at the little feller.)

Now, of course, maybe the Nasr is 30 centimeters in diameter (I certainly am not/not claiming to be able to eyeball rocket dimensions to within a few centimeters) or Pakistan just made a really little warhead.

I really wonder whether Pakistan could develop such a small warhead with any confidence. The general view has been that Pakistan would probably need testing to develop a miniaturized plutonium implosion device, to say nothing of the sort of boosted little devil we are talking about. I am no warhead designer, but here is how the National Academies described the situation in 2002:

Pakistan similarly could manufacture and stockpile its enriched uranium fission weapons without further testing, and it could make progress toward a plutonium implosion weapon (perhaps even producing and stockpiling one of simple—and inefficient—design, in which it could have some confidence).

Now, as I have noted before "simple—and inefficient—design" is a term of art that usually means too big for a missile, let alone a little rocket like NASR. I am skeptical, I must admit, but still intrigued. This is a smart little puzzle, isn't it?

Jeffrey Lewis "¢ Pakistan's Nuclear Artillery?

good luck pak........... in creating the Einstein of Nuke..........in Dexter size....... ;)

trackwhack

We are just so lucky that the pukes are taking so much time making nuclear tipped AK 47 rounds.

Decklander

Pakistan is master of lies. They spread the same shit in 1987 during Operation Brasstacks and americans sold this nuke shit to Rajiv who finally called off the attack. It was later revealed that Pak had spread this lie and US supported it as US needed Pak to counter USSR in Afganistan.
I can say for sure that Pakistan has probably developed and operationalised 0.5KT power handgrenade also which their special forces can throw upto a distance of 50 kms by hand?
What trash guys. How can anyone even post this here.

jalsa

The pakis someday will have this

I'm just joking, there is no way pakis can develop something as complex as this.

Last edited by a moderator:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Pakistan is master of lies. They spread the same shit in 1987 during Operation Brasstacks and americans sold this nuke shit to Rajiv who finally called off the attack. It was later revealed that Pak had spread this lie and US supported it as US needed Pak to counter USSR in Afganistan.
I can say for sure that Pakistan has probably developed and operationalised 0.5KT power handgrenade also which their special forces can throw upto a distance of 50 kms by hand?
What trash guys. How can anyone even post this here.
tactics not lies
about Kirana hills test
Kirana-I were the series of 24 cold-tests conducted by Pakistan from 1983 till 1990. The tests were primarily conducted by Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission for the purposes of studying effects of nuclear detonation, with armed forces' playing a supporting role. The weapon-testing programme was kept in extreme secrecy with only few in the government knowing about it. The tests proved the capability of Pakistan to have successfully developed the atomic bomb project and to perform the tests without outside interference.

Kirana Hills - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Its also a SECRET that this Paki "nuke artillery" can send shells to Pluto at an astonishing speed of 100,000 Mach and "nestanabood dushman".

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Mmmmm, chicken biryani...

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
"Smart" means something more like systems which are autonomous, I think.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The more Nasr Pak makes the better. All the best to them.

Indian cities will be safer. And our soldiers will prepare even better for NBC

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
nasr cost is much less but India will spend billions for counter measures

cm400akg again cost less though now India will float a new tender next generation Sam

Country flag
Has Pakistan minituarized nuclear warheads??
what is the premise of using a low yield nuclear weapon if response is a higher yield nuke?
Most nations have accepted nuclear weapons as last line weapons while artillery is usually
first line combination is puzzling?

Last edited:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Has Pakistan minituarized nuclear warheads??
what is the premise of using a low yield nuclear weapon if response is a higher yield nuke?
Most nations have accepted nuclear weapons as last line weapons while artillery is usually
first line combination is puzzling?
nasr will be used within Pakistan very Close to the border

and if nuclear war started will be followed by bigger as well
as pakistan is SUPPOSE to be manufacturing a facility of launching 84 ballistic missiles in one go

Global Defence

New threads

Articles