Main Battle Tanks - Pictures Thread

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
re: Tanks - Picture Thread

Why do I get the feeling that there's already another tank thread....(no offence)?

There is a Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology thread, but it is much more technical.

Damian

It was hard work, but not herculean. You could work up a sweat from the exertion of loading during a session on the range, and I was sure every time the breech block slammed shut my fingers were going to get caught. That never happened.

You had to release the brakes by pushing hard on the tops of the pedals. Once they were applied so hard I thought I might never release them, and the TC was yelling on the intercom to drive straight ahead! I could not turn the switch on the CVC to tell him what the problem was. Very frustrating. Finally got the brakes unstuck and moved to the position the TC wanted. That kind of thing in combat would have been very unfortunate.

Oh, and firing the coaxial machine gun (M240, IIRC) was frustrating too. It was fired by pressing a button on the near end, but if there was a failure to feed there was no way to apply immediate action because of the way it was mounted right next to the main gun.
Well I never thought that M60 series were so... capricious. Did You have opportunity at that time to at least examine M1 series? Or take a closer look when other unit that had them was nearby? If yes then what were thoughts of regular crews about new tank?

W.G.Ewald

Professional

Well I never thought that M60 series were so... capricious. Did You have opportunity at that time to at least examine M1 series? Or take a closer look when other unit that had them was nearby? If yes then what were thoughts of regular crews about new tank?
In fact the North Carolina National Guard got the M1 Abrams about that time.
In 1983 - 2/252 armor battalion becomes the first national guard unit in the country to receive the M-1 Abrams main battle tank. In 1987 the 1-130th aviation becomes the first Reserve component unit to receive AH-64 Apache helicopters. In 1990 North Carolina army and air national guard troops are mobilized for operation Desert Shield.
North Carolina Army National Guard

I was being trained at the US Army Chemical School in 1983 to be a Chemical Operations NCO and was no longer a tank crewman on my return. Our unit (C Company, 2nd Bn, 252 Armor) loved getting the Abrams!

W.G.Ewald

Professional

The M60 wasn't capricious; the On-the-Job Training was. I became more familiar with the M60 after the unit received the Abrams and I got the assignment to detail the old tanks for the IDF.:)

Damian

Well I know that in some European armies, M48's and M60's were liked by maintance crews, even more liked than Leopard 1 or AMX-30, I think these were Greek maintnance crews.

I also Know that crews like M1's, there was even a letter from crewman in ARMOR Magazine that said, that despite a fact that turbine engine is more vurnable to sand, it was never that bad that engine failed to work properly even if they were operating in very dusty conditions.

Photos from Anniston Army Depot engine workshop also gives impression that engines are used until their turbine blades are completely worn out, and then the engines are sended to ANAD for refurbishment.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

It's a shame the Japanese do not allow foreign sales of their military equipments. To me this tank perfectly fits the standard build of South East Asians. (Notice the size of the tank crew on top vis-a-vis the tank.)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

The older Japanese MBT, Type 90. It took its design layout from Leo 2 but without the mistake of putting its main sights on its front armor (although it is widely acknowledged that its armor protections is inferior to the latter). The Indian Arjun tank looks more or less similar in design owing to the fact that it too borrowed its design layout from Leo 2.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Well I know that in some European armies, M48's and M60's were liked by maintance crews, even more liked than Leopard 1 or AMX-30, I think these were Greek maintnance crews.

They would have liked this more, M60-2000:

Damian

They would have liked this more, M60-2000:

Why M60-2000 that is a long time dead project when they get much better M1A1's for US Army stocks? I think that Americans can make a great deal on this if Greece will buy these tanks, 400 tanks with a potential to be upgraded to M1A2 standard, load of cash for JSMC... on the other hand economic crysis in Greece...

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional

It's a shame the Japanese do not allow foreign sales of their military equipments. To me this tank perfectly fits the standard build of South East Asians. (Notice the size of the tank crew on top vis-a-vis the tank.)

The standard medium tank in the Japanese army during WWII was the Type 97 Chi-Ha. This model portrays the modified, or "Shinhoto" version, with an improved turret mounting a new 47mm gun. This particular version eventually became the most important japanese medium tank of the war.

W.G.Ewald

Professional

^^
That's a photo of a model, by the way.

Damian

An M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank, with Alpha Company, 1st Tank Battalion, moves into position during a firefight in the town of Zamindawar, May 27, 2012. The tanks support Marines with 2nd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment during Operation Jaws.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles