Lavish Indian wedding celebrations continue

Blackwater

A helicopter was among the gifts for the groom in what is being described as one of India's most expensive weddings.

The week-long nuptials of Lalit Tanwar to his bride Yogita Jaunapuria are lavish and attended by thousands.

The pair married at a family farmhouse on Tuesday - the groom reportedly wore a garland made of bank notes and received the helicopter as a gift.

On Thursday the families hosted a community reception. Celebrations are set to culminate this weekend in Delhi.

Thousands of people - including Bollywood stars and politicians - have been invited to attend.
Continue reading the main story
The reported guest list

* Indian PM Manmohan Singh
* Indian President Pratibha Devisingh Patil
* Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan
* Bollywood star Aishwarya Rai
* Mr Tanwar's barber

Mr Tanwar's father Kanwar is a hugely wealthy city politician from the ruling Congress party - while the bride's father is an influential former Delhi politician - making the arranged marriage a perfect power deal.

The exact details of the ceremony - which consists of four functions over a seven-day period - have been fiercely disputed.

"I don't understand why there is so much hoopla about this marriage," Kanwar Singh Tanwar told the Times of India.

"All estimates of this marriage in the media are speculation."

In the Indian Express, he was quoted as saying: "True, a Bell 429 helicopter was given but it was a simple wedding."
Extravaganza

Thursday's Indian newspapers say that the wedding was celebrated with 100 dishes and 12 giant TV screens to broadcast proceedings.
Newlyweds Yogita (third from left) and Lalit Tanwar (third from right) pose with family members Estimates as to the cost of the extravaganza vary hugely

The Hindustan Times reported that 2,000 guests were invited to the pre-wedding ceremony last week and each was given a silver biscuit, a safari suit and $500 (£307) in cash, while at a different ritual the bride's family welcomed the groom with gifts worth $5m (£3m).

There was even a reported gift of $5,500 (£3,381) for the groom's barber.

The Hindustan Times says the ceremony has been held at the right time - because this week the government announced plans to introduce a bill before parliament which limits the amount of food that can be served at weddings - estimated to account for nearly 15% of the country's total food-grain waste.

Estimates as to the cost of the extravaganza vary hugely. The Times of India calculated it to be at one billion rupees ($22m/£13.5m), while the Mail Today said that it was around $55m (£33.8m).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12638960

Blackwater

where the hell is income tax officials and CBI and more over BJP ??????????????

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Kanwar Singh Tanwar is not a congress politician, he is from the BSP. And he is worth over a billion dollars easily.

venkat

The other day i saw some NRI from newzealand spent 50 crores and the wedding celebrations went on for a week. naked display of wealth....felt like vomiting.....

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Kanwar Singh Tanwar is not a congress politician, he is from the BSP. And he is worth over a billion dollars easily.
A 100 billion dollars?? NO!!!!! That is an insane amount of wealth. How'd he get to those figures?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
A 100 billion dollars?? NO!!!!! That is an insane amount of wealth. How'd he get to those figures?
He said over a billion dollars not 100 billion dollars. In these days, politicians having 1 billion dollars is a common place.

Rage

DFI TEAM
He said over a billion dollars not 100 billion dollars. In these days, politicians having 1 billion dollars is a common place.
ROTFLMAO. Oops! I think I'm a bit too groggy. :becky: One billion dollars sounds more like it. Still, I'd like to know how he made his wealth. Can someone give us a brief synopsis of this guy's or his father's exploits.

sandeepdg

^^ They come from big land-owning Jat families. I have heard lots of Jats and Gujjars in Haryana and Western UP, having assets in hundreds of millions of USD, some I have seen myself. Lots of my friends are Jatts from Haryana, and they told me that Om Prakash Chauthala owns some thousand acres of farmlands, quite some in Gurgaon district itself. Guess how much that will be worth, 1000 acres of farmland in Haryana ! Hell, I have seen a guy whom one of my friend personally knows, who had 100 acres of land in and around Gurgaon, and after selling most of it, he became a multi millionaire overnight. Now he owns 7-8 cars, among them 3 BMWs and resides in palatial bungalow. Gifting BMWs and Mercs on marriages are a common thing here . No big deal for these people, I tell you.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Well, I'm of the opinion that if he earned it, he has the right to spend it. But, of course, he didn't earn it. He made it from swindling and bribing people, and from the most deceitful forms of nepotism and corruption.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
hope lawyers get good fee when these types of couples went for divorce

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
where else ? all stolen money from common man.

people who earn these amounts of money dont throw it lightly but stolen money is lightly thrown.

Tronic

^^ They come from big land-owning Jat families. I have heard lots of Jats and Gujjars in Haryana and Western UP, having assets in hundreds of millions of USD, some I have seen myself. Lots of my friends are Jatts from Haryana, and they told me that Om Prakash Chauthala owns some thousand acres of farmlands, quite some in Gurgaon district itself. Guess how much that will be worth, 1000 acres of farmland in Haryana ! Hell, I have seen a guy whom one of my friend personally knows, who had 100 acres of land in and around Gurgaon, and after selling most of it, he became a multi millionaire overnight. Now he owns 7-8 cars, among them 3 BMWs and resides in palatial bungalow. Gifting BMWs and Mercs on marriages are a common thing here . No big deal for these people, I tell you.
The problem with a lot of these politico chaps is, they have those billions and millions yet still have their farmlands aswell.

The Badal family being a prime example. Where not only have their financial accounts skyrocketed, but so too their farmland holdings. A lot of which has been stolen by extortion. The famous Haveli restaurants in Punjab, once owned by my friend's family, were harassed with laws pulled out of their arses until they were forced to sell them to Sukhbir Badal, the number one chor family of Punjab.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles