Kaveri Engine

republic_roi97

Country flag
I thought kaveri.....................................................................................................................
They didn't let tejas fly on kaveri back then because......................................."it wasn't ready".

Prashant12

Country flag
DRDO ties up with Snecma to revive gas turbine engine for Tejas

India’s defence research agency has signed a deal with French engine maker Snecma to revive and certify the Kaveri engine, before powering a flight of Tejas light combat aircraft prototype by 2018.

Snecma, as part of the offsets deal for the 36 Rafale jets India bought for its air force, would handhold the Gas turbine and research establishment (GTRE), which has designed Kaveri, to fix gaps in its performance, address safety concerns, certify and fly it on a Tejas light combat aircraft. The Rs 600 odd crore expense for Snecma, which powers the Rafale jets, would be adjusted against the 50 per cent offsets that it is mandated to spend in India.

The Kaveri project has been on the backburner for nearly a decade after GTRE, an agency of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), struggled to reduce its weight and improve its performance needed to power the fighter. So far, the government has spent Rs 2,100 crore on the engine that has tested on ground for over 3,000 hours and around 30 hours on a IL-76 transport plane in Russia. It has a marine variant that the Navy is testing and it is in talks with Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd and the Indian Railways to power rail engines.

“Once the engine houses make it a flightworthy engine, we have numerous programmes coming up and there is more than one place for it to be fitted. The question is whether we will be able to fit it into only the LCA or will we be able to get it into the (GE) 414 with the higher power is a point that we are raising,” said C P Ramanarayanan, DRDO Director General for Aeronautics cluster said.

The Indian Air Force has ordered for over 120 single engine Tejas fighters powered by a General Electric 404 engine, the powerplant the aircraft first flew in January 2001. So far the Tejas has flown nearly 3,300 sorties, which includes sorties by IAF chief Arup Raha and the air chief of Turkmenistan.

An upgraded Mark-2 aircraft of Tejas is being designed for a more heavier GE-414 engine by 2025, and the DRDO hopes that the upgraded Kaveri would qualify for the plane by then.

If not, the Kaveri would power other programmes such as Ghatak, the unmanned combat aircraft vehicle of UCAV, for which studies have begun by the research agency.

“So we have Ghatak in our hand, we have so many other programmes coming up. Anyway we have to have indigenous engine development also. All that we are trying to do is trying to allocate one of the prototype for this and make use of some of the offset for this hand holding if possible,” said Ramnarayanan.

India is among the few countries in the world such as Russia, Britain, US and France to have capabilities to build a gas turbine engine.

The chief of Aeronautical Development Agency Commodore C D Balaji said that the agency expects around 40 aircraft of the 123 planes ordered by the IAF would be delivered by 2020 and the remaining 83 by 2025. He said the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd is doubling its production of Tejas to 16 from eight.

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...-turbine-engine-for-tejas-116112000534_1.html

lcafanboy

Country flag
Is it possible that Modi and Parikkar offered carrot and sticks to France to get Rafale deal? I mean arm twisting french to first work on kaveri engine and when certain mile stones are met India will go with the deal. This is because previously also they offered to help get kaveri working but once they got MMRCA deal they backtracked. But Modi and Parrikar ensured that now with this deal they first deliver Engine technology and then get the whole Rafale deal. If so then I must congratulate them on their prudence, thats why I am big fan of this pure bhartiya Government.

This also reflects in confidence that government is contemplating Tejas export and there is no order for GE F404 engine. Both these development points one thing there is more to Rafale deal than what it looks like. Cudos to Modi and Parrikar if they have successfully arm twisted french.

Akask kumar

Kaveri Engine Updates:

“Media reports are incorrect. Tapas is an UAV and not UCAV,” Christopher said.
Pathetic Indian media.. we top the chart in Yellow Page journalism.. :frusty:... i understand its hard for users like us to get the right info But what these Media ppl do ?? they could have easily cleared this UCAV or UAV rumor .but TRP matters more than TRUth here

@Indx TechStyle

Akask kumar

India is among the few countries in the world such as Russia, Britain, US and France to have capabilities to build a gas turbine engine.
what about China? what type of engines they build?
what are the chances that the French comp will succeed in boosting the thrust limit of the under power kaveri..?

Akask kumar

Is it possible that Modi and Parikkar offered carrot and sticks to France to get Rafale deal? I mean arm twisting french to first work on kaveri engine and when certain mile stones are met India will go with the deal. This is because previously also they offered to help get kaveri working but once they got MMRCA deal they backtracked. But Modi and Parrikar ensured that now with this deal they first deliver Engine technology and then get the whole Rafale deal. If so then I must congratulate them on their prudence, thats why I am big fan of this pure bhartiya Government.

This also reflects in confidence that government is contemplating Tejas export and there is no order for GE F404 engine. Both these development points one thing there is more to Rafale deal than what it looks like. Cudos to Modi and Parrikar if they have successfully arm twisted french.
yes good point !! can any one clear the confusion here?

Alok Arya

Country flag
Kunal sir can you comment on dry , wet thrust and core temperature of this joint snecma gtre engine . This project lead to attainment of original Kaveri goal of 1847 c of core temperature leading to 62 kn dry and 95 - 100 kn wet thrust leading to spercruise of Tejas as originally planned or they have fixed some other goals .

Alok Arya

Country flag
Kunal sir can you comment on dry , wet thrust and core temperature of this joint snecma gtre engine . This project lead to attainment of original Kaveri goal of 1847 c of core temperature leading to 62 kn dry and 95 - 100 kn wet thrust leading to spercruise of Tejas as originally planned or they have fixed some other goals .

republic_roi97

Country flag
what are the chances that the French comp will succeed in boosting the thrust limit of the under power kaveri..?
Because they have reviewed Kaveri and remarked that it is 75% complete, and that within 18-24 months the engine would be ready for flight testing.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Pathetic Indian media.. we top the chart in Yellow Page journalism.. :frusty:... i understand its hard for users like us to get the right info But what these Media ppl do ?? they could have easily cleared this UCAV or UAV rumor .but TRP matters more than TRUth here

@Indx TechStyle
It may be true, as I have already pointed out error in airframe design. Or instead pinning too much task like combat for TAPAS, it can excellently perform as a surveillance drone to push foreign maal out. We may see Project USAV UCAV's like AURA as primary combat drones.
On Topic: Inshallah! Aero engine jinx was one of our few headaches left which we will cross soon.:amen:

Overlaying France for under the table deal was indeed good decision. I won't even mind if it's just a French ToT instead of a JV. Like we got a shortcut in SCE-200 from Ukraine (the same country who sold An-32 expertise to China to make Y-20). China style progress.:biggrin2:

republic_roi97

Country flag
DRDO sets another deadline for indigenous Kaveri engine
BENGALURU: Tests of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) powered by Kaveri engines will be held in the next 18 months, said Dr C P Ramanarayanan, Director General of Aeronautical Systems, Defence and Research Development Organisation (DRDO), here on Sunday.

Apart from military use, the Indian Railways has also evinced interest in using it to power trains. Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd is the partner, he said.

Deadline for testing of Kaveri engines has been delayed several times in the past, after the development work started in 1986.

On the expenses incurred, he said Rs 2,100 crore has been spent on the project till date. The total cost of
developing the engine, which is expected to power Tejas LCA, will increase by another `500-600 crore by 2018, Ramanarayanan added.

On the Ghatak engine, a dry variant of Kaveri, Dr S Christopher, Chairman, DRDO said the file pertaining to the project is with the Ministry of Defence. In-principle clearance to go ahead with the development of the engine has not come yet, he added.

Chinmoy

Country flag

@Indx TechStyle
First ask these journalist if they even know what is the difference in between UAV and UCAV. I am sure they don't even know what is MALE and HALE is.

Akask kumar

DRDO sets another deadline for indigenous Kaveri engine
Apart from military use, the Indian Railways has also evinced interest in using it to power trains. Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd is the partner, he said.
WTF??:shock: jet engine in trains.. Indian railway has electrified many routes/trains to cut coal and diesel dependency... whats the point in having a fossil fuel powered(jet engine) train again:crazy::crazy:..

PRABHU THORA DIMAAG KO ARAAM DO..

Akask kumar

Snecma (or whatever is the name of that agency) promised same deadline, so I'm confident.
i was just thinking ,How much progress we would have made if the same gvt was chosen with majority 7 years ago..
I was also thinking what would have happened to our economy and military if the previous gvt was selected with majority ,and of course Rahul baba aka Shehjade as PM.:facepalm:

a dedicated ,less corrupy gvt in majority can make progress by leaps and bounds :truestory:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles