Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Lastly. Indian SF kit is just fine. The ONLY one place we are lagging behind is optics.
In that case, there are considerable number of orders being placed for night vision by IA. The ones i remember are helmet mounted, hand held imagers. Handheld imagers alone was for 2000 pieces. These are in last two months alone.

Not sure to which units this equipment will go to.

But rest assured, there is definitely something happening, albeit on a piece meal basis.

ghost

^^^ 1 Team (26 operators?) of DevGru costs US$50Mill to equip (rifles, kit, Vehicles, etc). It cost anywhere between $2Mil - 4 Mill of costs for 1 soldiers annual training ( Bullets, fuel, gear replacements, etc).

India Cannot afford that. SPECIALLY with no unified SF Command SF units have a very low discretionary budget.

Secondly- All the kit in the world is useless without training - whats the point of buying expensive kit when we will run out of money to train on it.

Lastly. Indian SF kit is just fine. The ONLY one place we are lagging behind is optics. Please dont go by shiny Press Releases by PR agencies.

This is how a TIER 1 SOF unit looks like in a combat zone

This is what a Press Release Picture from SF in training looks like

The Singular most Hitech thing that will be common to both Pictures is Comms and Optics. Everything else is fluff

U.S. Delta Force Raid ISIS Compound

US Special Forces on ISIS frontline in Syria

US navy seal firefight with ISIS.

Green Berets & MARSOC in Afghanistan.

Afghan special forces in combat.

Australian SOTG in Afghanistan

Russian FSB in action.

It is not about how much gear they are wearing but about having the choice to use it or not!

I agree with you on optics part , I would also like our special forces to have special armourer who can customize their weapons as per individual operator choice.

armyofhind

Country flag
I agree with you on optics part , I would also like our special forces to have special armourer who can customize their weapons as per individual operator choice.
The armourer you talk about is present only in tier one special ops like Delta Force or Seal Team 6 to build custom weapons for the operators.

Probably Special Group have one but we won't know about it.

sthf

Country flag
Black BPJs are probably the older versions which they used to wear with all black.

rkhanna

Country flag
In that case, there are considerable number of orders being placed for night vision by IA. The ones i remember are helmet mounted, hand held imagers. Handheld imagers alone was for 2000 pieces. These are in last two months alone.
Well the thing is are these Optics last seasons fashion or Cutting edge? Also any tech/equipment that is inducted into a SF takes months of training on it for it to become operational.

@ghost

The video's you shared show me nothing special at all. Outside of Comms and optics pretty much everything can be found in Indian SOF units.

American Kit is HEAVY. American Soldiers get driven and Choppered into a conflict zone and ride out the same way. In a recent exercise (i have posted the video some pages back) a US Army SF Sargent commented on video that the only Kit of theirs that impressed their Indian Counterparts was optics. Our SF units have been exposed to enough of this "blue Chip" Armour now -. Indian SF have to trek across mountains and valleys and rain forests. In Kashmir SF go from running LRRPs in the mountains to quickly doubling back to deal with an active threat in an urban setting and back again. They carry ALL their kit with them all the time. They do it on foot. No Fancy BlackHawks for them. Body armour (and I am talking about the fancy american kit here) is a luxury they cant afford to lug around.

Optics however is a Luxury they would kill for.

The armorer you talk about is present only in tier one special ops like Delta Force or Seal Team 6 to build custom weapons for the operators.

Probably Special Group have one but we won't know about it.
All most all Regiments/Battalions will have an Armourer / Quarter master who constantly works on the upkeep of the weapons. In india we don't use fancy words like "custom build weapons" we simply call it Jugad :)

rkhanna

Country flag
On the Other Hand. Almost all this kit can be found on the NSG. Why? Same reason why Army SF rejects it. NSG is driven or Choppered to their AO. They arnt walking for miles to get to their objective. And their Kit reflects that.

ghost

Well the thing is are these Optics last seasons fashion or Cutting edge? Also any tech/equipment that is inducted into a SF takes months of training on it for it to become operational.

@ghost

The video's you shared show me nothing special at all. Outside of Comms and optics pretty much everything can be found in Indian SOF units.

American Kit is HEAVY. American Soldiers get driven and Choppered into a conflict zone and ride out the same way. In a recent exercise (i have posted the video some pages back) a US Army SF Sargent commented on video that the only Kit of theirs that impressed their Indian Counterparts was optics. Our SF units have been exposed to enough of this "blue Chip" Armour now -. Indian SF have to trek across mountains and valleys and rain forests. In Kashmir SF go from running LRRPs in the mountains to quickly doubling back to deal with an active threat in an urban setting and back again. They carry ALL their kit with them all the time. They do it on foot. No Fancy BlackHawks for them. Body armour (and I am talking about the fancy american kit here) is a luxury they cant afford to lug around.

Optics however is a Luxury they would kill for.

All most all Regiments/Battalions will have an Armourer / Quarter master who constantly works on the upkeep of the weapons. In india we don't use fancy words like "custom build weapons" we simply call it Jugad :)

Because you said this"This is how a TIER 1 SOF unit looks like in a combat zone,This is what a Press Release Picture from SF in training looks like"

However ,they have much better Surveillance, communications , night vision ,sensor , solar charged batteries and tools.Few examples:

GPNVG-18

Hand-held laser target designators

ITT Exelis i-Aware "Fusion" Spiral Enhanced Night Vision Goggles:
Fused imaging system that combine a thermal camera with night-vision light intensification in a package light enough to fit on a helmet.The monocular combines imagery from an infrared heat sensor with traditional image intensification to create an enhanced fused image with an infrared highlight.The combination enable s the operator to pick up heat signatures in the distance that amy be hidden behind bushes or vehcles.With all this information,the weare can identify targets well beyond the max effective range of m4,allowing the shooter more time to acuquire and engage target.It also allos the shooter to seamlessly track a target from daylight into a dark cave or tunnel.It also allow the weare to transmit and recieve real time color video and other battlefield information.Operator can see the feed from overhead UAV,or share imagery with other users or beam it back to a command post.

Crye Combat shirt/combat jacket/combat Pants:

Provide moisture wicking and temperature control,have insertable elbow and knee pads.Combat pants have 10pockets.

TYR TACTICAL PICO assaulter plate carrier:
A combination of military spec nylon and Dupont Kevlar that decrease material weight by 20to 50 percent but is about 10 times stronger than standard tactical nylon material.Transfers the weight onto a belt that rest on hips.

Camelback Impact Gloves:

Light enough not to interfere with weapons and trigger handling but durable enough to protect hands while moving through rocky terrain,raised ridges on the back of the gloves protect the knuckles from abrasion.Retention loops at the wrist help members of special forces pull on gloves quickly.

Emerson CQC-15 and ESEE-5:

Armor piercing knife folding knife.Has a glass breaking pommel and a divot in the handle that act as a friction fire spindle.

(Friend or Foe) Helmet-Mounted, Multi-Function Marker Light combat/tactical helmet strobe beacon light.Lets you know when you have been targeted by via visible or IR laser or illumintor] by someone.

These are only few to name there much more which is in public and some which is classified.Please go through this link regarding our SF,you will get your answer:http://www.spslandforces.com/story.asp?id=423

Last edited:

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
India does use bi-lens NVG

Garuds (Old Pic)

Possibly sudden exposure to light can blind operator. One eye helps to relieve that.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
Because you said this"This is how a TIER 1 SOF unit looks like in a combat zone,This is what a Press Release Picture from SF in training looks like"

However ,they have much better Surveillance, communications , night vision ,sensor , solar charged batteries and tools.Few examples:

GPNVG-18

Hand-held laser target designators

ITT Exelis i-Aware "Fusion" Spiral Enhanced Night Vision Goggles:
Fused imaging system that combine a thermal camera with night-vision light intensification in a package light enough to fit on a helmet.The monocular combines imagery from an infrared heat sensor with traditional image intensification to create an enhanced fused image with an infrared highlight.The combination enable s the operator to pick up heat signatures in the distance that amy be hidden behind bushes or vehcles.With all this information,the weare can identify targets well beyond the max effective range of m4,allowing the shooter more time to acuquire and engage target.It also allos the shooter to seamlessly track a target from daylight into a dark cave or tunnel.It also allow the weare to transmit and recieve real time color video and other battlefield information.Operator can see the feed from overhead UAV,or share imagery with other users or beam it back to a command post.

Crye Combat shirt/combat jacket/combat Pants:

Provide moisture wicking and temperature control,have insertable elbow and knee pads.Combat pants have 10pockets.

TYR TACTICAL PICO assaulter plate carrier:
A combination of military spec nylon and Dupont Kevlar that decrease material weight by 20to 50 percent but is about 10 times stronger than standard tactical nylon material.Transfers the weight onto a belt that rest on hips.

Camelback Impact Gloves:

Light enough not to interfere with weapons and trigger handling but durable enough to protect hands while moving through rocky terrain,raised ridges on the back of the gloves protect the knuckles from abrasion.Retention loops at the wrist help members of special forces pull on gloves quickly.

Emerson CQC-15 and ESEE-5:

Armor piercing knife folding knife.Has a glass breaking pommel and a divot in the handle that act as a friction fire spindle.

(Friend or Foe) Helmet-Mounted, Multi-Function Marker Light combat/tactical helmet strobe beacon light.Lets you know when you have been targeted by via visible or IR laser or illumintor] by someone.

These are only few to name there much more which is in public and some which is classified.Please go through this link regarding our SF,you will get your answer:http://www.spslandforces.com/story.asp?id=423
MARCOS have all that and more.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
PARA SF

MARCOS

Happy? The only thing not seen until now is SF using the new US NVGs.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
That pic was first posted by me on this forum. I didn't watermarked at that point of time.

And that's NCC cadet Army (Para) attachment camp. The rifle is basic M 4 without attachments and the helmet is bought from own pocket.

Several Para operatives buy their own gear since it's not standardized.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
That pic was first posted by me on this forum. I didn't watermarked at that point of time.

And that's NCC cadet Army (Para) attachment camp. The rifle is basic M 4 without attachments and the helmet is bought from own pocket.

Several Para operatives buy their own gear since it's not standardized.
So you are telling me that the FAST helmet was bought by some kid in NCC. Are you serious?

Look at the camo. NCC are ones who march with SLRs not M4A1s.

Bornubus

So you are telling me that the FAST helmet was bought by some kid in NCC. Are you serious?

The gear belong to the troops. That's just a photo op trying to look cool.

How about i post a pic of NCC cadet with Tavor in his hands ?

Last edited:

Bornubus

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
The gear belong to the troops.

How about i post a pic of NCC cadet with Tavor in his hands ?
The fact that paras let a kid touch a tavor is shocking. Anyways P Rails are now being used by NSG, VBSS so MARCOS and PARA SF are absolutely likely.

armyofhind

Country flag

FAST helmets are also made by MKU in Kanpur.

Not as expensive as the ones made by Crye Precision.

Predator707

IMO Following things are still missing:
1. CAMO pattern of BPJ and Knee guards should be same as the MARPAT camo. Such a contrasting colour difference (Black & white) defeats the purpose of camo.
2. Dedicated radio sets with p-rails combat helmet.
3. Better wide angle and bi-ocular NVGs equivalent to PVS 15/18.
4. LMG operator with M249/Negev equivalent for suppressive/cover fire.
5. DMR operator or Tavor with bipod for short range sniping.
The black knee pads, elbow pads, head gear, Tactical vest and plate carrier is the part of their real operational needs, they are black because Marcos use black wet suits and during a fight they use to in those wet suits also, i think they dont have time to change the suit into their respective Camouflage.

Spectribution

Tihar Jail
Banned
Also, nothing extra ordinary about the gear which is available on Dirt cheap price in India except the attachments and NVG

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/my-recent-modifcation-of-iof-315-rifle.74316/

I bought this vest for myself from eBay. I can put a metal plate of any thickness I want at dirt cheap price, capable to stop most of the ammo available to civilians in India.

View attachment 12148
I'll just say this once. Please don't turn a bolt action rifle into a Darra Adam crap. Unless you plan to get a bigger magazine and make it semi automatic.

Bornubus

The fact that paras let a kid touch a tavor is shocking.

Nothing shocking about it. Haven't you visited any army fair where civilians could hold any special forces weapon and their equipments ?

Lastly, a gentleman from 9 Para SF on deputation in NCC

pn.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles