Indian Power Sector

Anshu Attri

Country flag
India-US space-based solar power programme urged

India-US space-based solar power programme urged

Bangalore: India and the US should explore the feasibility of a space-based solar power (SBSP) programme with the ultimate aim of putting in place a commercially viable system by 2025, a report by a defence ministry funded think tank says.

There is, however, a catch. India would first have to accede to the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) before the system is put in place, says the report that has been prepared by Peter Garretson, a US Air Force lieutenant colonel on a sabbatical as an international fellow at the New Delhi-based Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA).

Noting that SBSP can be "the next major step in the Indo-US strategic partnership", the 174-page report says the launch of such a potentially revolutionary programme can begin with a joint statement by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and US President Barak Obama during the latter's visit to New Delhi in November.

Besides helping to "solve the linked problems of energy security, development and climate change", the SBSP will provide an opportunity for India to use its successful space programme while shaping a future peaceful space regime, Garretson said.

He has proposed a three-tiered programme, moving from basic technology and capacity building to a multi-lateral demonstrator and ultimately to an international commercial public-private-partnership entity to supply commercial power in the 2025 timeframe.

The report concludes that SBSP "does appear to be a good fit for the US domestic, Indian domestic and bilateral agendas, and there are adequate political space and precursor agreements to begin a bilateral program".

Expanding on the three-stage plan, Garretson says an initial five-year $10-30 million programme will develop contributing technologies and build a competent work force culminating in a roadmap for a demonstration prototype.

A second, $10 billion, 10-year phase will see the formation of an international consortium to construct a sub-scale space solar power system that can directly be scaled up by industry. The final stage will entail India-US leadership to set up an international for-profit consortium along the lines of the INTELSAT model to address energy security and carbon mitigation concerns.

"The overall program goal must be to enable, by 2025, space-based solar power as a viable economic replacement for fossil fuel energy, and second, to position the US and Indian technical and industrial bases to enjoy a competitive edge in what is expected to be a significant and profitable market," the report says.

Garretson says that the US and India have demonstrated via a number of recent steps that they are ready for a deeper partnership, inclusive of sensitive and strategic technology in space and energy.

"An international SBSP demo project is within reach of present engineering and mega science budgets, and can be done with existing launch vehicles," he says.

From the US side, the programme can be managed out of the Department of State's Office of Ocean Environment and Science with funds coming from the Department of Energy's Advanced Research Projects Agency for Energy. On the Indian side, the report says, the high-level oversight can be provided by the Prime Minister's Council on Climate Change.

According to the report, such a programme linking the technical bases of the world's largest democracies might be a way out of India's (and the world's) climate-energy dilemma.

"It will also become one of the grandest and most ambitious humanitarian and environmentalist causes that will be sure to excite a generation as did the Apollo program that put a man on the moon," the report says.

"If there is a desire to pursue simultaneous development of low cost access to orbit, then the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) assurance document must be signed (by India)," the report says.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
It is high time that India should be made an exception to MTCR, since china, Pakistan and north Korea is not party to the treaty, it wont be that difficult to ask for exception, given the past track record of India.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
174 page pdf.......

SKY'S NO LIMIT: SPACE-BASED SOLAR POWER
THE NEXT MAJOR STEP IN THE INDO-US STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP?

A keen observer of US-India relations writes:

"Based on several conversations in the last two weeks in Washington, it's obvious that teams of dedicated government officials are working very, very hard in advance of President Obama's trip to India to make it a success. Much effort is being expended to break down interagency barriers on previously trenchant issues. One expects positive developments could be seen in areas such as export control and the Entities List."

"As the search for big ideas continues, one of the focus areas for the future of security dialog is likely going to be security of the 'Global Commons'. India and the US can and must work together as large democracies to set norms for behavior in the Commons."

"In the context of 'big ideas', IDSA recently released a paper by USAF Lt. Col. Peter Garretson, who was visiting on a Council on Foreign Relations fellowship. The paper suggests solar satellites as a joint project between the US and India as a possible vehicle to take the partnership to the next level. "

"This is the type of big idea that both bureaucracies and political decision-makers could get their arms around as being 'unique'. In the initial phases, the study of the applicability of such technology to Indian and American needs, as well as its export potential, would not be prohibitive and on the Indian side could interest entities like BHEL and ISRO."

Peter A. Garretson was a Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) International Fellow in India, and a Visiting Fellow at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) New Delhi. He is an active duty Air Force officer on sabbatical as an Air Force Fellow. He was previously the Chief of Future Science and Technology Exploration for Headquarters Air Force, Directorate of Strategic Plans and Programs, and is a former DARPA Service Chiefs' Intern, and former Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) Service Academy Research Associate. He is a published author on Space Grand Strategy, and is a recipient of the National Space Society's (NSS) Space Pioneer Award.

His paper is titled,

"Sky's is no limit: Space-based Solar Power, the next
major step in the Indo-US Strategic Partnership".

The paper "provides a policymaker's overview of a highly scalable, revolutionary, renewable energy technology, Space-Based Solar Power (SBSP), and evaluates its utility within the context of the Indo-US strategic partnership. After providing an overview of the concept and its significance to the compelling problems of sustainable growth, economic development, energy security and climate change, it evaluates the utility of the concept in the context of respective Indian and US political context and energy-climate trajectories. The paper concludes that a bilateral initiative to develop Space-Based Solar Power is highly consistent with the objectives of the Indo-US strategic partnership, and ultimately recommends an actionable three-tiered programme to realize its potential."
I would also like to thank those who wrote letters on my behalf
both to CFR and to the Indian Government that ensured such outstanding
reception and access, as well as provided key personal and career advice.
My first thank you is to Ambassadors Jim and Lauren Moriarty, and LTC
Larry and Jackie Smith for providing so many useful leads and
introductions, and to the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) for hosting
two well-timed networking events. In particular, I owe a debt of gratitude
to Dr. Ashley Tellis, Dr. Sumit Ganguly, Mr. Joe McDade, Ms. Mitzi
Wertheim, Mr. John Mankins, Mr. Joe Burris, Mr. Matt Simmons, and to
Mr. Joseph D. Rouge, SES, Director National Security Space Office
(NSSO), Gen Mark F. Ramsay, Director, Air Force Strategic Planning,
Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters
U.S. Air Force, Dr. Ken Watman, SES, then Deputy Air Force Strategic
Planning, and Lt. Gen. Paul J. Selva, Assistant to the Chairman of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Mr. A. Volkman, Director, International
Cooperation, OSD/AT&L for writing on my behalf.
And the support
of the latter would also not have been possible without the pro-active
intercession of Col Steve Hiss, Lt Col Brad Kinneer, and Col Steve Rust.
The support of my fellow caballeros also made this possible. Without
Col Mike "Green Hornet" Hornitschek, I would not even have known
about the CFR program. Without Lt Col Paul Damphousse's help, I
would not have had critical meetings with Mr. Rouge or with Dr. Saraswat,
and he has continued the good SBSP advocacy in the US, even as Col
"Coyote" Smith takes it to Europe. I also want to thank all my colleagues
at IDSA, especially my cluster, for the education and stimulation they
provided, particularly Dr. Namrata Goswami, Zakir Hussain, Faizan S.
M. Ahmed who spent so much time educating me about the greater
context of India.

Thanks also those who participated in my Fellows Presentation on
23 October 2009, particularly my Chair, Air Commodore (Ret) Jasjit
Singh, and my discussants, Dr. V. Siddhartha and Colonel Subodh Kumar.
I am also grateful to the wonderful military and defense minds at
IDSA who engaged me in their thinking, including Dr. Thomas Mathew,
Dr. G. Balachandran (accurately described as a "minefield of knowledge"),
Col DPK Pillay, Col Raj Shukla, Col Harinder Singh, Col Ali Ahmed,
Capt Alok Bansal, Col Gautam, Wg Cdr Ajey Lele, and particularly Wg
Cdr Venkatashmy Krishnappa, one of the finest strategic minds and most
insightful thinkers I have come across in my entire career.

I must also mention the wonderful support of my family, Darlene,
Marcus, Madeleine, and Alyssa that accepted a short notice and stressful
move to a distant land, immediately following the Mumbai 26/11 terrorist
attacks with less than certain information, and endured my lack of presence
in their lives for significant periods of time, and to my parents, Peter and
Jerri, that provided such wonderful support from back home.
Of course, I owe a particular inspirational thanks to Dr. APJ Abdul
Kalam, former President of India for his vision for a Global Space
2050, as well as that of Dr. Vikram Sarabhai, founder of the Indian
space programme for his vision of space serving society, and the particular
visions of Dr. Gerald K. O'Neill and Dr. Peter Glaser upon whom the
Industrial vision for space is founded.
But a very special, and unique thanks goes to Air

Aaric7546

Today's declaration also indicated that regional governments would be the main authorities for approving proposed solar energy projects. The federal government's role would be limited to making decision on whether projects are eligible for federal grants or subsidies.

Aaric7546

Presently India has nine solar cell manufacturers and nearabout 20 module manufacturers. However, it still wants a domestic supplier of polysilicon and other solar materials also a wafer manufacturing capacity.Manufacturers such as Tata BP Solar are aiming the export market. Present proposals before the government also seems to be aimed at the export market, with reference to a position paper released by SEMI India previously this year.

BangersAndMash

Indian Power Generation

Jun 8, 2011

AHMEDABAD: Azure Power, today, announced the commissioning of Phase I of its 10 MW solar photovoltaic plant in Gujarat. The plant at Khadoda village, Sabarkantha district in North Gujarat is India's largest solar power project. Azure has entered into a 25 year long agreement with the apex state utility Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Limited.

Among other major solar power projects, Lanco is operating 5 MW of capacity in Gujarat and planning to expand it soon. Azure Power chairman HS Wadhwa said, "Azure Power has demonstrated successfully on ground that solar power prices are following a downward trend and in next 5 years should reach retail parity. With Government of Gujarat's dynamic participation in this sector, economies of scale will accelerate solar generation grid parity, creation of millions of jobs and clean energy for Indian households for years to come."

Azure Power has a project under every Solar Policy in the country. In addition to Gujarat, Azure Power has inked agreements with state governments of Punjab and Rajasthan. Ongoing talks with other state governments will take this total generating capacity to a combined production of 100 MW solar power by 2014 with cumulative investment of Rs 1500 Crs.

Country's largest 10 MW Solar Power Plant - Economic Times

JBH22

Narendra Modi at the forefront again good work

plugwater

Great from Modi.

TN govt is planning 10 solar power plants with a capacity of 300MW each!!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
A 300MW solar plant takes 1000 hectares of land... I see trouble brewing.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
TN govt is planning 10 solar power plants with a capacity of 300MW each!!
The total capacity would probably be 30MW. 300MW per plant sounds absurd for TN

The largest solar power plant in the world (located in the Mojave desert) generates ~350MW

Last edited:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
The total capacity would probably be 30MW. 300MW per plant sounds absurd for TN

The largest solar power plant in the world (located in the Mojave desert) generates ~350MW
you said 300MW per plant is absurd and then you went on to say that theres a plant in the mojave generating even more ?
most grateful for your clarification as im not knowledgeable in this area - tia !

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
you said 300MW per plant is absurd and then you went on to say that theres a plant in the mojave generating even more ?
most grateful for your clarification as im not knowledgeable in this area - tia !
It's in the Mojave desert !

IMO Tamil Nadu gets far less insolation, a plant of that scale would require an insanely huge amount of land !

plugwater

TN has insanely huge of wasteland. Problem is investment.

sandeepdg

What is this, a Gujrat vs TN fight ? :)

Nevertheless whoever wins, it benefits the cause of clean energy and that's what is important !

I heard quite some time back, from a scientist attached with some central research organization, I suppose, that if large solar panels are installed in Kutch region of Gujrat and in the Thar desert in Rajasthan, they have the capability to supply the entire power requirement that this country has and which is currently generated through conventional means, although the investment required would be mind boggling, no doubt about that.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Indian Power Generation

This reminds of villages and towns in UP where power cuts of 8 to 12 hours have been the regular phenomenon for years. In fact in many villages enterprising people have set up mini power plants with Diesel Gensets and supply power directly to the villagers and charge a flat rate per connection.

The other day there was a news article that Maharashtra would be facing upto 11 hours of power cuts per day. We are also not far behind, it seems.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No we are not that far behind. Bangalore the "silicon valley" faces power cuts regularly. 2-4 hours. We are not adding capacity.
But our problem is a little different too. Out energy need us burgeoning like crazy but because of lack of planning and policy we face shortage. In the case of Pakistan, they don't have money to buy furnace oil!!! And they want nuke power deal Lol!!

sob

Mod
Country flag
Yusuf Pakistan also faces the same problem. They have not invested in new Power Plants for years. There have been political opposition to expansion of some their Hydro Electric plants.
Running power plants on Furnace oils is crazy. Nowhere can you afford these plants. Even in India with the cost of Furnace oils, the cost of electricity per unit is in excess of Rs 10 per unit. It cannot be viable but in case of emergencies this is the easiest alternative.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Its not that we have not added capacity, but we have not added enough or failed to predict the growth and plan accordingly. India is a case of poor planning more than anything else. The red tape is another issue.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles