Indian colonel confronts ISI's honey trap

Should the Colonel be punished or forgiven?

• Total voters

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
The guys who want him to be under run for his past fun.
This is the disadantage / advantage of having young Colonels ..... Soldier as it is are supposed to be lady killers. The Colonel has exihibitted soldierly qualities in all respect and deserves a pat on his back for those qualities including from his wife. Bengladeshi ladies as it is are beautifull and seductive.

Good story.
Doesn't mean someone who don't agree with you are jealous, you could have put you point rather then putting your statement, with a personal remark,where is the debate?

lemontree

Professional
When it comes to responsibilities of National security, you can not take second chance on that person.
The officer displayed moral courage of the highest order when he reported to his seniors. What more does one want? Granted that his career is more or less sealed.

We should worry about CIA moles like Rabindra Singh (ex-RAW officer)

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
What about millions of Bangladeshi ladies (Aayas, maid servants ) in Delhi itself. God knows how many honey traps would be there !!
All top officers of Police, IAS, IB< RAW< NIA , even Ministers etc would have many Bangladeshi maid servants in their houses as honey traps or otherwise !! Or the Bangladeshi in Delhi are certified Indian patriots?

Does any one has guts to own up like the Colonel?

Patriot

Country flag
The officer displayed moral courage of the highest order when he reported to his seniors. What more does one want? Granted that his career is more or less sealed.

We should worry about CIA moles like Rabindra Singh (ex-RAW officer)
Whatever it is but this conduct can not be justified in contrast to his responsibilities. He has compromised his position therefore he becomes liable for appropriate action. The confession can not be taken for granted on it's face value.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
While I agree with the overall content of your post, I am not sure if this is accurate: "In USA it is the duty of the state to cater for the sexual needs of the soldiers.". I don't think that is true. :) Or is it? Ewald?
No. Maybe nice to think about, but no. And really, what would an Army-issued girlfriend look like?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The US TV series The Unit had a few episodes about the commander, a Colonel 0-6, having an affair with the wife of an NCO. That was the most insulting disgusting work on the part of TV writers I have ever seen.:mad2:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
the gross point is ,he was "on duty " GOI not sent him there for a sex holiday . There is a code of conduct which every officer has to follow & he breached this conduct thus he is liable for court martial .
I cannot understand your point ...

Firstly, where does it say that he was "married"? I saw no mention of that anywhere. If it is your assumption - then you maybe wrong. If he was not married, then he did NOTHING wrong to fall in love and sleep with a woman. Or are you against pre-marital sex?

Secondly, even if he was married, what he did was between him and his wife. The Army cannot have "moral codes of conduct" - it can have "codes of conduct" - in which case his surrender when faced with blackmail should be a part of the code of conduct itself. If it is not, then the Army code is wrong.

Finally, even if he has flouted the "army code" - he did the right thing - ethically. He reported on the blackmail effort and put his personal life under scanner and his career on the line. IMHO, he is not a hero, but a role model for sure.

Stop taking the moral high ground and try to put yourself in his shoes and think what you would have done. Alone in a foreign country, being approached by a pretty girl - would you say no? Only if you are gay.
Once caught in a blackmail what would YOU do? Shoot your brains out and let the country, the Army and your family take the fall?
I think all Indians should grow a pair and learn how to own up to the mistakes and suffer for it.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Tricky.

He was wrong to fall for cheap sex.

But it was good that he came clean before serious damage was done.

Now, he requires to be punished and of that there is no doubt and yet, at the same time, it should not be such that it deters other from coming clean if they are so compromised!

Nagraj

Amy issued Swiss gf :) lol
can do everything if you know what mean.....

:shoot::censored:
No. Maybe nice to think about, but no. And really, what would an Army-issued girlfriend look like?

Last edited by a moderator:

codysmacks

So he is guilty because he is straight? Is there a rule that states you cannot have sex if you are in the Army? Or are there legal implications apart from the absurd moral and societal ones that come with infidelity? This is absolute bull.
He was seduced by a woman. When the ISI looked at blackmailing him, he told them fk you, my honor is not as important as the country's security. I'd rather face the music from my family for infidelity than compromise my nations defenses. And he has to be punished for that? WTF? The press has made it sound like the colonel's act is disgraceful and he has to be court martialed. What honey trapped? He was not trapped. He showed the ISI the finger and told them to suck on it.
Well said brother..

lemontree

Professional
Whatever it is but this conduct can not be justified in contrast to his responsibilities. He has compromised his position therefore he becomes liable for appropriate action. The confession can not be taken for granted on it's face value.
As Brig Ray, sir, mentioned. The punishment should not ditter men from being honest.

p2prada

Tricky.

He was wrong to fall for cheap sex.

But it was good that he came clean before serious damage was done.

Now, he requires to be punished and of that there is no doubt and yet, at the same time, it should not be such that it deters other from coming clean if they are so compromised!
I would agree with all the points except for the bold. Why? Is it illegal to sleep with a woman. It does not look like he is married. So, it's perfectly alright. Now the woman turned out to be a spy and he complained about it to his superior officers before anything happened.

You can say unwanted pregnancy is his biggest concern. Official secrets act is still honoured.

However he could be warned "sternly" to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would agree with all the points except for the bold. Why? Is it illegal to sleep with a woman. It does not look like he is married. So, it's perfectly alright. Now the woman turned out to be a spy and he complained about it to his superior officers before anything happened.
Technically, it is not illegal to have sex.

But to be promiscuous may come under the purview 'An act unbecoming of an officer' and this is a legal section in the Army Act.

Or in the section of the Army Act that states "An act or omission prejudicial to good order and military discipline".

Last edited:

p2prada

Technically, it is not illegal to have sex.

But to be promiscuous may come under the purview 'An act unbecoming of an officer' and this is a legal section in the Army Act.

Or in the section of the Army Act that states "An act or omission prejudicial to good order and military discipline".
Sir, there is no guarantee this act was violated. For all we know it may have been after work hours at a bar or pub where he got hooked with the spy.

If the law says during the course of duty he is not supposed to meet women when working in a foreign country while representing India then I would arrest my case. But if the law says he is not supposed to meet a woman at all(even in India) as it is unbecoming of an officer, then that truly makes no sense whatsoever.

We shouldn't be talking about promiscuity when in fact it may even have been the exact opposite. So, considering that is the case, does the law apply here?

IMHO he was looking for a good time and got stuck with a vamp. It could happen to anybody, generally speaking.

However his punishment is at the discretion of the Army, so we may not know of the facts.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir, there is no guarantee this act was violated. For all we know it may have been after work hours at a bar or pub where he got hooked with the spy.

If the law says during the course of duty he is not supposed to meet women when working in a foreign country while representing India then I would arrest my case. But if the law says he is not supposed to meet a woman at all(even in India) as it is unbecoming of an officer, then that truly makes no sense whatsoever.

We shouldn't be talking about promiscuity when in fact it may even have been the exact opposite. So, considering that is the case, does the law apply here?

IMHO he was looking for a good time and got stuck with a vamp. It could happen to anybody, generally speaking.

However his punishment is at the discretion of the Army, so we may not know of the facts.
I take it that there was no guarantee that the law was not violated, because it was not violated, prima facie, the issue would not arise.

I also concede that morality has diluted. In the old days, if your cheque bounced, it was a court martial offence since it was unbecoming conduct for an officer to issue dud cheques as such an act would belittle the faith one has in the officer.

One does not get 'hooked' to a woman. Even if 'hooked', one would be wary of parting with any information about the army which is not in the public domain. And if the woman is too keen to know, then any officer so 'hooked' would quit that relationship. If he persists and parts with information, then that is cognizable.

In this particular case, it has not been mentioned if the Counter Intelligence had got a whiff and had recorded their amorous behaviour and talk.

I wonder if you know of the infamous Profumo - Christine Keeler case of the UK.

Brigadier John Dennis Profumo, 5th Baron Profumo CBE was the Secretary of State for War. He was involved with a prostitute Christine Keeler. She also had sexual relations with Yevgeni Ivanov, the senior naval attaché at the Soviet Embassy, and so the Profumo Affair took on a national security dimension. He had to resign and with this case the decline and fall of the Harold Macmillan's Govt.

Therefore, one can draw one's own conclusion as to what serious consequences such dalliance can have.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In so far as the disposal of the case is concerned, he will first be subjected to a Court of Inquiry and since his reputation is at stake, he will have the right to cross examine the witnesses. If the opinion the Court of Inquiry returns is Guilty, he will undergo a Summary of Evidence (which is a legal document) and then face Court Martial.

p2prada

I take it that there was no guarantee that the law was not violated, because it was not violated, prima facie, the issue would not arise.
Do we follow the old adage, guilty until proven otherwise. If that is the case then we can treat him as an idiot for the time being.

One does not get 'hooked' to a woman. Even if 'hooked', one would be wary of parting with any information about the army which is not in the public domain. And if the woman is too keen to know, then any officer so 'hooked' would quit that relationship. If he persists and parts with information, then that is cognizable.
Yes. If he gave away information, then that would be a different case.

In this particular case, it has not been mentioned if the Counter Intelligence had got a whiff and had recorded their amorous behaviour and talk.
We can only speculate regarding this and still be woefully wrong.

I wonder if you know of the infamous Profumo - Christine Keeler case of the UK.

Brigadier John Dennis Profumo, 5th Baron Profumo CBE was the Secretary of State for War. He was involved with a prostitute Christine Keeler. She also had sexual relations with Yevgeni Ivanov, the senior naval attaché at the Soviet Embassy, and so the Profumo Affair took on a national security dimension. He had to resign and with this case the decline and fall of the Harold Macmillan's Govt.

Therefore, one can draw one's own conclusion as to what serious consequences such dalliance can have.
Thank you for the info. I did not know this. Prostitution is illegal and so was Bill Clinton's affair. In this case, both John and Bill knew what they were doing is illegal. Unless this woman was a prostitute we cannot club him in the same group as it may have been a honest mistake.

So, I have a question. Of course if he gave away info during all this, he will be sentenced. If he smelt a rat beforehand and went running to the higher ups with the story, no damage was done, then would he be punished?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles