India and the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG)

Country flag
what a mess. I mean all these years we were celebrating about our execptionalism and at the end it did not hold up. manmohan should explain this. I'm really piss***of from this new.
I am feeling the same but it just goes to show that even signed deals don't mean anything. MMS has failed big time in this area.I wonder what Russian,French and canadian view is?? No wonder Australia was ready to sell uranium in a dead deal.

Country flag
The Hindu : News / International : ENR guidelines do not detract from India waiver: U.S.

ENR guidelines do not detract from India waiver: U.S.

Despite the Nuclear Suppliers Group this week adopting controversial new guidelines restricting the sale of enrichment and reprocessing (ENR) technology to certain nations, the United States insisted that it continued to fully support the "clean" waiver granted to India as an exception to such restrictions.

The "new" guidelines were said to be similar in some respects to their 2008 version, according to which countries that are not members of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) or are not subject to full-scope safeguards of their nuclear facilities, would not be eligible to purchase ENR technology from NSG members.

Yet the State Department said on Thursday, "Nothing about the new ENR transfer restrictions agreed to by NSG members should be construed as detracting from the unique impact and importance of the U.S.-India agreement or our commitment to full civil nuclear cooperation."

Neither the State Department nor the White House provided any further explanations on the apparent contradiction between the wording of the new NSG guidelines and the assumption that ENR sales to India would remain unaffected.

However State Deparment officials said in a public statement that the NSG guidelines' references to the NPT, including those on ENR transfers, "in no way detract from the exception granted to India by NSG members in 2008 and in no way reflect upon India's non-proliferation record."

The State Department also defended the passage of the new restrictions at the NSG meeting in the Netherlands this week on the basis that all such efforts by the NSG to strengthen controls on ENR transfers were "consistent with long-standing U.S. policy that pre-dates the Civil Nuclear Agreement and have been reaffirmed on an annual basis by the G-8 for years."

Arguing that the new guideline reflected "a consensus among all NSG members," a State Department spokesperson also underscored that the references to the NPT contained within the guidelines "reinforce the commitment of NSG members to prevent the transfer of items that could be used for weapons purposes, which is the mission of the regime itself."

sukhish

now what the hell does that mean, does that mean will still get ENR technologies or it will simply get uranium only and then at some later date NSG will restrict the sale of uranium also thereby bringing india back to where it was prior to 2008

sukhish

I'm surprised that this news is not being discussed anywhere in the India media

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
what a mess. I mean all these years we were celebrating about our execptionalism and at the end it did not hold up. manmohan should explain this. I'm really piss***of from this new.
what should manmohan do ? sign the damn thing and surrender our nukes ?

be realistic...rules of nsg are discriminatory.

Country flag
now what the hell does that mean, does that mean will still get ENR technologies or it will simply get uranium only and then at some later date NSG will restrict the sale of uranium also thereby bringing india back to where it was prior to 2008
These are the facts:
India is not an NSG full member-cannot sell only buy from NSG members
India is not a NPT signatory
India has an NSG waiver prior to this
India may use own ENR tech ?? see above
would NSG nations selling to India agree to above?? Only Russia has declared ENR tech sharing with India. France is uncertain.

http://news.oneindia.in/2010/06/08/russia-will-share-enr-technology-with-india.html

sukhish

India has an NSG waiver prior to this , what exactly does that mean. won't we able to buy ENR tech from these countries ?

Country flag
India has an NSG waiver prior to this , what exactly does that mean. won't we able to buy ENR tech from these countries ?
That is what it means for now depending on the country but that could change in the future.

sukhish

That is what it means for now depending on the country but that could change in the future.
So the prior waiver has no meaning at all, all the reprocessing agreement and everything goes to the dustbin. I just can't digest this news. why is the GOI not explaining ?

Country flag
So the prior waiver has no meaning at all, all the reprocessing agreement and everything goes to the dustbin. I just can't digest this news. why is the GOI not explaining ?
Because it is an embarrassment for MMS not to ask for NSG membership while Bush was president.

Country flag
How do you interpret this??

India is not a signatory to the Non-Proliferation Treaty and the new guidelines are expected to make the NPT signature mandatory for ENR eligibility.

To me it means this deal is dead.

sukhish

Let see what actually passed in the NSG. it's not just the NPT requirement but also the requirement to have full scope safeguards, which what the NSG waiver allowed us to do. if enrichment technologies are prohibited then what kind of tech help are we suppose to get from NSG members ? I mean enrichment is at the hear of any nuclear fuel cycle.

have the actual guidelines been made public by NSG ?

Country flag
why even bother with this bureacratic play on words after all these years India has found a lot more indigenous uranium mines and buy from non NSG states. India has it's own ENR tech and the Russian nuke deal is good enough.

Country flag
Let see what actually passed in the NSG. it's not just the NPT requirement but also the requirement to have full scope safeguards, which what the NSG waiver allowed us to do. if enrichment technologies are prohibited then what kind of tech help are we suppose to get from NSG members ? I mean enrichment is at the hear of any nuclear fuel cycle.

have the actual guidelines been made public by NSG ?
India is not going to place all the military reactors for IAEA inspection that is what the new terms are by NSG.

sukhish

why even bother with this bureacratic play on words after all these years India has found a lot more indigenous uranium mines and buy from non NSG states. India has it's own ENR tech and the Russian nuke deal is good enough.
it's not about whether we have an indigenous ENR tech or not , but about the clean waiver we thought we secured.
it's about the prestige of our country. it took three years just to bargain the deal and one NSG guidline simply wipes out all the hard work done. somebody should ask GOI for more explanation. also india doesn't want to be dependent on russian co-operation forever, eventually we want to be a supplier country. It about our future aspirations as well.

Country flag
we just needed uranium and that's what this deal was suppose to be and it turned out to be a big unnecessary mess to sell reactors.This is probably all for the best. Forget being a supplier they don't want India into any club not UNSC or NSG etc...

sukhish

I'm not sure if it was just for the sake of uranium. I mean we can very well live our uranium reserves.

Country flag
The Hindu : Front Page : Is the enrichment debate reaching critical mass?

Is the enrichment debate reaching critical mass?

Washington: With the second round of the United States-India Strategic Dialogue round the corner, public messages by both governments indicate a blossoming bonhomie. But if the Nuclear Suppliers Group proposes more restrictive guidelines this week for the sale of enrichment technology to countries such as India, make no mistake, the daggers will be out.

Both sides appeared to be digging in their heels and heading for a potentially sharp disagreement in Noordwijk, Netherlands, where India's request for membership is also on the NSG agenda. While this follows logically from the U.S. promise to back India's entry into the global multilateral export control regimes, the guidelines that are being proposed are "set to up-end India's clean waiver" (see The Hindu, June 18, 2011).

When pressed on whether the U.S. would spearhead any new guidelines that flouted the clean waiver given to India, State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said: "The NSG has an annual meeting every year and the goal of this group is to contribute to non-proliferation of nuclear weapons through the implementation of a set of agreed guidelines for nuclear exports, nuclear-related products, and to ensure that nuclear trade is for purely peaceful reasons."

This blunt re-stating of the established position does not augur well for an argument-free meeting in Norway.

Yet, in media briefings, Indian officials too, reverted to their firm belief that what was promised to India could not be overturned. "From the Indian point of view the important thing is that the NSG had given a clean waiver to India and we want to emphasise that," said Indian Ambassador Meera Shankar. Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma added, "In our perspective, or in our understanding, which is a very clear one, enrichment technology is part of that."

However, given the way the bilateral nuclear web has been spun, there will be a more complex denouement that is likely to go beyond any single NSG meeting. After all, the passage of the nuclear liability bill has left U.S. nuclear firms in legal limbo even as they scramble to assess the risks they will have to take on if they are to set up shop on Indian soil.

Thus far, Indian officials seem happy to take a decidedly parental view on moving things forward — firm that they will not budge from the wording of the bill passed in Parliament and yet encouraging toward U.S. nuclear corporations that have got swept up in a cloud of uncertainty and risk-aversion.

In this context, Ms. Shankar said while India has said publicly it would ratify the Convention on Supplementary Compensation this year, "It is for the U.S. companies now to proceed with commercial negotiations... and we would hope that the companies would move forward quickly in this regard." Ms. Shankar added that the nuclear companies "have been in touch" and had held discussions and workshops with India's nuclear power apparatus.

The U.S. may, nevertheless, wish to tread carefully as it is increasingly clear its nuclear competitors such as Russia and France are sparing no effort to move forward with their engagements with the Indian establishment.

Mr. Sharma said here that these countries might soon even be able to conclude commercial negotiations. "When I was in France, the French nuclear people, including the CEO of Areva, met with me. It is very clear that [similarly Russia] is very enthusiastic to move forward."

Given the multiplicity of options for Indian policymakers, New Delhi's strategic patience in dealing with U.S. nuclear companies may not last forever. If the U.S. introduces harsh NSG restrictions against the sale of enrichment technology to India, especially, it may well find itself at the receiving end of a dangerous chain reaction.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles