Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Employees of the Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli (OFT) on Wednesday staged a demonstration against the ministry of defence for deciding to stop procuring small rifles from OFT and three other government rifle factories.

As many as 1,600 OFT technical staff owing allegiance to various employees unions demanded that the ministry allow OFT, Ordnance Factory in Nalanda, Small Arms Factory in Kanpur and Rifle Factory in Ishapore to go on with manufacturing of rifles with state-of-the-art features for supply to the Indian Army instead of importing such arms from foreign countries and allowing private companies to manufacture arms in India.

S Chandrasekaran, president of the National Defence Workers Union-INTUC, said, "OFT and three other government arms factories have been manufacturing small rifle 5.56mm INSAS for supply to the Indian Army since 1999. OFT manufactured 4.5 lakh 5.66 mm INSAS rifles so far. As the Indian Army recently decided to procure multipurpose rifles, MoD decided to stop procuring small rifles from OFT after March 2013. OFT now has to supply 19,300 5.56mm INSAS rifles to the Indian Army to reach this year's target."

"Nearly 70% of our staff are involved in small rifle manufacturing. Rest of us are engaged in other arms like under barrel grenade launchers (UBGL). By stopping the manufacture of small rifles, our staff could suffer financial loss as they will not get overtime duty and other benefits," he added.

Chandrasekaran also said, "Moreover, the government has decided to import multipurpose rifles from Israel and Austria and allow private companies for rifle manufacturing even though the rifle factories are equipped to produce such arms. Last year, OFT staff designed the latest rifle called 'Trichy Assault Rifle'(TAR). After putting it to various experiments, the MoD shelved the idea to procure TAR for the Indian Army for unknown reasons."

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...1_rifle-factory-ishapore-trichy-assault-rifle

Last edited:

pmaitra

Re: Govt to stop buying INSAS rifles from Ordnance Factory Tiruchirapp

This is sad. Looks like MoD is flush with funds and are mystified with the scintillation of foreign weapons, when domestically produced rifles get the job done.

While privatization should be encouraged for production in India and by Indian companies, this outright purchase of foreign weapons, especially something like assault rifles, is simply vulgar.

P.S.: The original source does not have a link to the news-portal.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

This is sad. Looks like MoD is flush with funds and are mystified with the scintillation of foreign weapons, when domestically produced rifles get the job done.

While privatization should be encouraged for production in India and by Indian companies, this outright purchase of foreign weapons, especially something like assault rifles, is simply vulgar.

P.S.: The original source does not have a link to the news-portal.
I'm sure you are aware that the INSAS rifle has suffered from many design and quality problems. It is probably not good enough to get the job done now.

In any case, what expertise do these workers have to determine whether a weapon is good enough for the army or not? They are only concerned about their pay, benefits and overtime.

Obviously, outright purchase of foreign defence equipment must be the last resort, however, the Indian domestic armaments industry is in shambles, so this procurement decision is nothing new.

pmaitra

I'm sure you are aware that the INSAS rifle has suffered from many design and quality problems. It is probably not good enough to get the job done now.

In any case, what expertise do these workers have to determine whether a weapon is good enough for the army or not? They are only concerned about their pay, benefits and overtime.

Obviously, outright purchase of foreign defence equipment must be the last resort, however, the Indian domestic armaments industry is in shambles, so this procurement decision is nothing new.
That's why I said, let there be private companies making rifles. If the workers are good enough, and I am sure many of them are, these private companies will wean them away.

My stand:
Indian private companies making rifles in India - Yes.
Blatant import of foreign rifles - No.

commando elite

good job by MOD the days of copied stamped steel rifles will be over soon

pmaitra

good job by MOD the days of copied stamped steel rifles will be over soon
Huh?

AK-47 has a milled receiver and is inferior to AKM with a stamped steel receiver.

:p

commando elite

and also tar was a joke

Country flag

This was the only indigenous rifle that had a chance a few members here also worked on projects around this rifle,
Now india can proudly boast no indigenous rifle or heavy machine guns are made in india a total disgrace.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

It's really sad. I know for a fact India can produce a modern rifle.

pmaitra

There is nothing wrong but they look vintage when compared to tavors, m4s etc
I agree, and that is what many people say. Packaging is important in this consumerist world.

I have used the KRISS Vector. Looks stunning, and is expensive as well, but is a piece of junk.

Don't fall for looks.

Country flag

It's really sad. I know for a fact India can produce a modern rifle.
Years ago there was a ammo shortage at least one positive it will standardized rounds used by india
I hope this also means india moves to larger rounds

commando elite

I agree, and that is what many people say. Packaging is important in this consumerist world.

I have used the KRISS Vector. Looks stunning, and is expensive as well, but is a piece of junk.

Don't fall for looks.
Sir i have not fallen for looks but rifles like the tavor , hk416, g36 look cool and they do their job well too

pmaitra

Sir i have not fallen for looks but rifles like the tavor , hk416, g36 look cool and they do their job well too
I agree with the green part, and as for the red part, I think it is less important.

JBH22

Time to privatise the defence industry government funding should be strictly kept for Ballistic missiles.

Govt should start privatising the company though maintaining some shareholding in them sell all these non performing organisations.

pmaitra

Time to privatise the defence industry government funding should be strictly kept for Ballistic missiles.

Govt should start privatising the company though maintaining some shareholding in them sell all these non performing organisations.
I have a different take.

Govt. should encourage private companies to set up factories in India, and the OFB factories should compete with these private factories. I am totally against selling OFB factories, because, we need to expose them to competition and give them the opportunity to improve. Even if they can't, then we can think of selling them off.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles