Gaofen 4, The World's Most Powerful GEO Spy Satellite | Popular Science

Martian

Respected Member
What's the resolution of China's LEO satellites ?
China launches Yaogan-29 0.5-meter imaging satellite

For military use, China's Yaogan-29 imaging satellite has a resolution of 0.5 meter.
In comparison, China's civilian Jilin-1 commercial imaging satellite has a resolution of 0.72 meter.

China launches sensitive Yaogan-29 imaging satellite | gbtimes.com

----------

China's Jilin-1 commercial satellite has a resolution of 0.72 meter.

China launches first commercial-use Earth imaging satellite | GBTimes

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
The article fails to illustrate how the satellite is the most powerful GEO spy-satellite.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
The article fails to illustrate how the satellite is the most powerful GEO spy-satellite.
I guess they've measured power only by its high orbit and hence greater monitoring area. Apart from that, I don't see why it would be "most powerful'.

shiphone

Country flag
1. unlike the normal remote-sense Sats on LEO , the GF-4 is in a much higher orbit so it would be much harder to achieve a high resolution ratio..

and it's a geostationary orbit which means

When a satellite reaches exactly 42,164 kilometers from the center of the Earth (about 36,000 kilometers from Earth’s surface), it enters a sort of “sweet spot” in which its orbit matches Earth’s rotation. Because the satellite orbits at the same speed that the Earth is turning, the satellite seems to stay in place over a single longitude, though it may drift north to south. This special, high Earth orbit is called geosynchronous.
in such a sweet spot, it could 'STARE' at you all the time if it was set

(GF-4's position over the earth and visual range...LOL)

unlike the LEO Imaging satellites which could only have a glimpse of the same spot on the earth every a couple of days coz it moves so fast (a couple of hours to complete a orbit)

============================================================

2. although we already had quite some geostationary meteorological satellites

A geostationary orbit is extremely valuable for weather monitoring because satellites in this orbit provide a constant view of the same surface area.

but their resolution ratio is always on the 500m-1km level...

===================================================
3. actually India has the same 'PLAN' to put a similar sat in the GEO under the project code 'GEO-HR IMAGER' which is announced to be launched during the 11th 5-year plan(2007-2012), it was supposed to be based on I-1K platform(1.X tons) which is much smaller than GF-4's DFH-4 platform(5.X tons), but the the resolution ratio is also quite impressive - 60 meters...

and France and ESA's projects are more aggressive-- their ratio is around 20 merters..

but all these are either officially cancelled or quite 'quiet' which make the GF-4 is the first or only one of this type so called 'spy ' satellite in the GEO ---------- which is most 'powerful' rightfully...LOL

I suggest you guys to have a research on that Indian similar project to find out what kind of 'satellite' it is , how ISRO defined and describe it and what is the project status at this moment if you are really interested ... LOL...

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
more info about the GF-4

-------------------------------
the platform (the right column)

-------------
it was launched by China's most powerful vehicle- CZ-3B/E

------------
how it looks like in the orbit(CG)

blueblood

more info about the GF-4

Resolution - 50 meters.

Hardly impressive.

Also LOL at the OP and bestest satellite ever.

Jeffrey Lin and P.W. Singer

Why would anyone take articles by these morons seriously? They are a relatively recent addition to the grand family of jackasses lead by Richard Fisher.

They are to China what Gordon Chang is to the West or what Christine Fair is to India (a very recent love affair).

Then there is Alan Warnes, who end up talking to some "not to be named" foreign AF officials singing paens about PAF.

Country flag
No mention of SAR lenses? What makes this the most powerful satellite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martian

Respected Member
No mention of SAR lenses? What makes this the most powerful satellite?

All three articles from Popular Science, Spaceflight Now, and GB Times repeat the same fact.

Gaofen-4 is the world's MOST POWERFUL GEO-STATIONARY SATELLITE.

This means Gaofen-4 has the best resolution from 22,000 miles in space.

If you can't find a GEO-STATIONARY satellite with optical resolution significantly better than 50 meters from 22,000 miles in space then you would have to agree with Popular Science, Spaceflight Now, and GB Times.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
All three articles from Popular Science, Spaceflight Now, and GB Times repeat the same fact.

If you can't find a GEO-STATIONARY satellite with optical resolution significantly better than 50 meters from 22,000 miles in space then you would have to agree with Popular Science, Spaceflight Now, and GB Times.
We aren't doubting. China did the great job. :clap2:

Now, care us to tell how it works. If it has no SAR lenses, what sort of system it uses. I guess there must be some other logic would be applied.

Country flag

What lenses are used?

Country flag
Then how do they make this claim? Most details of spy satellites are never made available. What are they comparing it too?

Country flag
This is a remote sensing satellite, not a spy satellite.
Many satellites are called remote s being with possible military applications . A
Nice way of saying spy satellite . Commonly used phrase since the cold war

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles