DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

tejas warrior

Country flag
True. I was just replying to a quote from one of our esteemed members who claimed that ATAGS is light years ahead of western designs. When in reality it cannot even match the range of G-5 towed howitzer. For this my post was deleted.
What is the Range of G-5 towed howitzer ? Wiki says Standard range is just 30 km.

Even Dhanush has higher Range. ATAGS will be even longer range.

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
True. I was just replying to a quote from one of our esteemed members who claimed that ATAGS is light years ahead of western designs. When in reality it cannot even match the range of G-5 towed howitzer. For this my post was deleted.
Ghanta It's Ahead Of G-5 towed howitzer

Chinmoy

Country flag
How so ? The range of Atags is only 45kms while G-5 a 1980's design had an 55km range.
The 55 km range of G5 is only through VLAP, not with regular shells. With regular shells, its 39 km at base bleed performance or 35 km in normal condition.
Now if we compare G5 and ATAGS, G5 is 155/45 as opposed to 155/52 caliber ATAGS.
G5 weighs at 13+ ton whereas ATAGS weighs at 12tons.
Rate of fire of G5 is 3 rnds per min, whereas ATAGS fires 3 rnds in 15 second.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Just a word of caution: Excalibur shell costs about 100-150 TIMES the regular shell :)
Even though it's worth every penny you spend on it!!!
I remember it as around 60k $ per Excalibur round during Afghan deployment, from some YouTube video.

So it can't be 100-150 times, I hope.

Scrutator

I remember it as around 60k $ per Excalibur round during Afghan deployment, from some YouTube video.

So it can't be 100-150 times, I hope.
It's more like $80,000, the conventional shell cost around $500-$1000 (tops).

The enlightened

The 55 km range of G5 is only through VLAP, not with regular shells. With regular shells, its 39 km at base bleed performance or 35 km in normal condition.
Now if we compare G5 and ATAGS, G5 is 155/45 as opposed to 155/52 caliber ATAGS.
G5 weighs at 13+ ton whereas ATAGS weighs at 12tons.
Rate of fire of G5 is 3 rnds per min, whereas ATAGS fires 3 rnds in 15 second.
Apparently mod warning is being ignored. So let me shed my two paise. Hope it isnt deleted by the mod junta .
ATAGS is light years ahead of most western designs in its category ..
Weight, Range,Rate Of Fire & Recoil system, Chamber size ..
Weight - It is actually heavier than other comparable guns by 2-3 tons.
Range - lower than the only comparable 25l chambered gun on the G6-52ER which gives 50km with EFRB-BB shells.
Rate of fire - It does have an advantage of a 6 round magazine for burst fire mode but its sustained fire is once again far lower than even titanium M777 which can fire 2rpm vs 1rpm for ATAGS.
Recoil system - Dunno? what exactly makes it light years ahead of comparable westerns?
Chamber size - Changing chamber size means de-standardizing primer and/or charge which is why even Saffers who first made one didnt bother.

Scrutator

Apparently mod warning is being ignored. So let me shed my two paise. Hope it isnt deleted by the mod junta .

Range - lower than the only comparable 25l chambered gun on the G6-52ER which gives 50km with EFRB-BB shells.
Rate of fire - It does have an advantage of a 6 round magazine for burst fire mode but its sustained fire is once again far lower than even titanium M777 which can fire 2rpm vs 1rpm for ATAGS.
Recoil system - Dunno? what exactly makes it light years ahead of comparable westerns?
Chamber size - Changing chamber size means de-standardizing primer and/or charge which is why even Saffers who first made one didnt bother.
Do you know what the life of an ATAGS/Dhanush barrel is? I think M777 is around 1000 rounds?
I agree that ATAGS is a good gun but not sure it's light years ahead! Seems like folks are going by the pre-design specs when they keep harping that ATAGS is 'light weight', the actual production has resulted in slightly heavier than expected product.
But what does a couple of extra tonnes (higher or lower) have anything to do with the lethality/reliability of the gun - sure it's good buzzwords on the the sales sheet.
I am really curious to know what the life of the barrel is when rounds are fired to full range. During a protracted war, that's what will give a competitive edge (other than range, accuracy et al)!

The enlightened

Do you know what the life of an ATAGS/Dhanush barrel is? I think M777 is around 1000 rounds?
I agree that ATAGS is a good gun but not sure it's light years ahead! Seems like folks are going by the pre-design specs when they keep harping that ATAGS is 'light weight', the actual production has resulted in slightly heavier than expected product.
But what does a couple of extra tonnes (higher or lower) have anything to do with the lethality/reliability of the gun - sure it's good buzzwords on the the sales sheet.
I am really curious to know what the life of the barrel is when rounds are fired to full range. During a protracted war, that's what will give a competitive edge (other than range, accuracy et al)!
Its still in development and most/all information comes from Shukla ji, so we have to wait a bit to know about barrel life I guess.
On present specs it is still a world class product but nothing to really beat our chests as seems to be the case with everything Indian over here.

Wisemarko

Country flag
Comparing Towed artillery with SPGs? That does nothing to show that Chinese tube arty has any advantage on India. Or are you insinuating that PLA plans to use these heavy SPGs on Himalayas? Also, PGM capability or extended range rounds are not unique to PLA. ATAGS is being tested with a 70 km range round. All I can gauge from your reply is that PLA has an updated arty. We are stuck with obsolescent guns. True. But the fact that we have in place a plan to rationalise our arty by 2027 and that tube arty technology is not like smartphone tech. (its not gaining at a very fast rate) means that PLA's current advantage is temporary.
BTW, if you have some information on PLA's towed-arty, please do share.

Indeed. Formalized contract is of 145 pieces but some reports said the requirement could go up to 500 pieces.
Chinese have towed artillery- Type 89 look up before posting tall claims. That country is generation ahead of India in defense, manufacturing, infrastructure and overall development. There is really no comparison at this time between the two. Saying this as someone who has been to both countries.

Anyway, so India will modernize its artillery by 2027 and Chinese will wait for India to catch up till then? What kind of comparison is that! Their artillery is already top notch and in operation, while Indian ATAGS is in prototype form. That's like comparing non-deployed AMCA with F-22!

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Chinese have towed artillery- Type 89 look up before posting tall claims. That country is generation ahead of India in defense, manufacturing, infrastructure and overall development. There is really no comparison at this time between the two. Saying this as someone who has been to both countries.

Anyway, so India will modernize its artillery by 2027 and Chinese will wait for India to catch up till then? What kind of comparison is that! Their artillery is already top notch and in operation, while Indian ATAGS is in prototype form. That's like comparing non-deployed AMCA with F-22!
DO YOU READ REPLIES BEFORE YOU COMMENT OR DO YOU JUST LOVE TO MAKE FAKE ACCOUNTS AND POST CRAP? ARE YOU ONE OF THESE?

Read what I said. You keep comparing towed arty with SPH and tell me that I am making "tall claims"? Read what I said again, and carefully this time.
Got it? Good. Now read this:-
AH-4 is a Towed Artillery, its a chinese copy of M777, it has not moved to production and is only been developed as claimed by chinese.
So Chinese artillery is not up to date either. Unlike me, you are the one that made this tall claim here:-
Chinese artillery development is way ahead of India. Look up AH-4 that compares to M-777 India is importing which comes with PGM capabilities and has more range than M-777.
SH-1 is SPH that compares to Nexter Caesar in abilities. PLZ-54 is 54 cal artillery with range over 60km with ERFB BB ammunition. All these are already in service and their future development is ongoing.
As far as conventional parity with PLA is concerned, I am well aware that we cannot match PLA gun-for-gun. It is a bigger economy and bigger military. That is not what we are aiming for either. All we need to do is defend our territories well. And as far as this statement of yours goes:-
Anyway, so India will modernize its artillery by 2027 and Chinese will wait for India to catch up till then?
If you are so confident of defeating us, come at us. And we'll give you a live demonstration of how technological superiority is just one advantage (and one which can be offset). Come at us and we'll show you how an artillery barrage is equally devastating to the moral of the infantry man in its line of fire, irrespective of whether the round fired is from a high spec new gun or from an old one with its paint worn off. The fight will be in the mountains. You will be the attacking party. Try it out and you'll discover what mountain warfare is all about.

Finally, read this:-
This thread is about Indian Artillery, Keep comparison sake debates to minimum ..

Alok Arya

Country flag

Specs of type 89 on wiki / open source not backing your claims . Please come clean shows specs of type 89 is better than atags .

Alok Arya

Country flag

ATAGS is 2 to 3 ton more than comparable gun ? Please enlighten us with facts from net / source .
Range -- which comparable gun has more range than atags with standard shell ? Please again provide facts .
Rate of fire bust fire mode of atags is superior to all other , you also acknowledge this . Simultaneous impacts multiple shell is technologies not present most of your so claimed superior gun .
Recoil -- soft recoil of atags is standard now a days .
All electric drive is standard for maintenance free working .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Get your basics first before acting know all, A little research would help, The information is shared by Government R&D department DRDO, This is available on open source, Best don`t ask for spoon feedings ..

In case it missed weight details, This 52cal weight only 12tons compare to similar system of 14tons-18ton monsters, Unmatched globally ..

Comparing apple vs oranges is not smart, Comparing 39cal with 52cal gun also quietly comparing sustain fire of ATAGS with Intense fire American gun of a different class, This is obvious ..

Bigger the chamber, More powder bags hence more power and longer range with higher velocity, Its simple math and saffers ( slang for south Africans which is offensive way to describe them ) got it from Gerald bull himself, Our Army is not made of fool who will issue such a requirement for no reason ..

Keep in mind this is not terrorist forum, We have a reputation here and we don`t allow trolls / big mouths ..

===================

Type-89 is not a 52cal gun but a 45cal gun which is copy of G-5 towed howitzer, Post replies with better knowledge, Know what it have compare to ATAGS and visa versa, China has a good industrial base which we lack but unlike us their R&D is more interested in copying ..

AH4 is a very old system and nothing new, Its rejected by PLA and offered for exports, Its specifications are claimed to be similar to M777 ..

===================

Its a pity that many Indians may know about what America or Russia is doing or their history but remain clueless about their own archivements, Its unfortunate that many chose it due to their inferiority complex which has no treatment ..

I cannot find the specs of ah4 that's why asked you do you k ow its specs sir

How so ? The range of Atags is only 45kms while G-5 a 1980's design had an 55km range.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag

Get your basics first before acting know all, A little research would help, The information is shared by Government R&D department DRDO, This is available on open source, Best don`t ask for spoon feedings ..

In case it missed weight details, This 52cal weight only 12tons compare to similar system of 14tons-18ton monsters, Unmatched globally ..

Comparison apple and oranges is not smart, Comparing 39cal with 52cal gun also quietly comparing sustain fire of ATAGS with Intense fire American gun of a different class, This is obvious ..

Bigger the chamber, More powder bags hence more power and longer range with higher velocity, Its simple math and saffers ( slang for south Africans which is offensive way to describe them ) got it from Gerald bull himself, Our Army is not made of fool who will issue such a requirement for no reason ..

Keep in mind this is not terrorist forum, We have a reputation here and we don`t allow trolls / big mouths ..

===================

Type-89 is not a 52cal gun but a 45cal gun which is copy of G-5 towed howitzer, Post replies with better knowledge, Know what it have compare to ATAGS and visa versa, China has a good industrial base which we lack but unlike us their R&D is more interested in copying ..

AH4 is a very old system and nothing new, Its rejected by PLA and offered for exports, Its specifications are claimed to be similar to M777 ..

===================

Its a pity that many Indians may know about what America or Russia is doing or their history but remain clueless about their own archivements, Its unfortunate that many chose it due to their inferiority complex which has no treatment ..
Do you know what i like about your replies...they are smooth,sweet slipper shot replies.

Scrutator

Comparing apple vs oranges is not smart, Comparing 39cal with 52cal gun also quietly comparing sustain fire of ATAGS with Intense fire American gun of a different class, This is obvious ..

===================

===================

I love ATAGS, it's a awesome gun for India. So don't badger me or delete my post.

But I love truth and facts above everything else. The 12 ton weight was what was intended before they set out to do the detailed design and realize the product. Currently it's at 16 tons - it really doesn't make any difference though. There's a big-ass truck that will tow it. But let's keep things real!!!

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
The 12 ton weight was what was intended before they set out to do the detailed design and realize the product. Currently it's at 16 tons - it really doesn't make any difference though. There's a big-ass truck that will tow it. But just let's keep things real!!!
I also want to keep things real. But bhaiya ji source do nahi to thread pe tabahi mach jaegi.

Some one might go ballistic (pun intended) 'cause of what you have claimed.

Scrutator

I also want to keep things real. But bhaiya ji source do nahi to thread pe tabahi mach jaegi.

Some one might go ballistic (pun intended) 'cause of what you have claimed.
Yeh loh bhaiyah, ee raha sourcewa!! Hame kahe padi ki khamakha tabahi machaye !!

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.com/2016/12/indian-artillery-gun-shines-in-trials.html

"These enhanced performance attributes have increased the weight of ATAGS to 16 tonnes, a couple of tonnes heavier than comparable towed guns. The army is willing to accept a heavier gun that delivers significantly better performance."

The dude spoke to army/DRDO folks at the trials - nothing made up!!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles