Cow slaughtering mob clashes with Cops in Gujarat village

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sufis are among the most radical and fervent Muslims.

The Islamic world needs a resurgence of the Mu'tazila school and a return to the rationalism and openness of the medieval Islamic world. The Sufis, Salafis, and Wahhabis are all mindless radicals, just in different flavors.
Actually it is confusing for non Muslims to realise which sect is more fervent.

As for what the open sources indicate it is the Sunnis who are more 'active'.

Could you amplify?

One should believe his religion with all love, but should not impose on others, be one of any religion.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Its possible that the Sufis you speak of have been infected with the wahhabi/salafi dirt. The Sufis whose roots come from the Dervish practices, was original a very spiritual practice, bordering on bhaktimarga. At their core they believed in chanting, prayers, dancing and music for spiritual fulfillment and were open to ides foreign to islam.

The mughals all but wiped them off (in fact they flourished under many Hindu kings of the time) and they are now being cleansed in pakistan and other places.
Being a 'mystic' or 'highly spiritual' does not automatically mean you are liberal or tolerant towards other faiths or religions. Even the Sufi orders that adopted foreign elements like Hindu meditation and vegetarianism (like the Shattari order) had a very firm belief in the Quran and the Islamic religion. They adopted these foreign elements because they saw no conflict between those elements and Islam, but doesn't make them "tolerant liberals".

The Sufis I am talking about emerged long before Wahhabism even existed, and the Mughals never "wiped out" the Sufis. In fact, the Sufis were tightly associated with the Mughal dynasty (i.e. the House of Timur) from the very beginning. Babur himself was a devotee of the Naqshbandi Sufi order, which was the most influential Sufi order in medieval India. This chart shows some of the key connections between the Naqshbandis and the Mughals: Connections of Naqshbandi descendents of Khwaja Ahrar with Mughals.

Notice from the chart that some of the Naqshbandis were executed by Akbar for rebelling against him. This is because the so-called "liberal Sufis" of the Naqshbandi order were the fiercest critics of anything that deviated from Islam and the Shar'ia, so naturally, they would despise Akbar. In particular, it was a prominent Naqshbandi sheikh named Ahmad Sirhindi who was the leading critic of Akbar for his "deviations" and "heresies". It was this ideology that set the tone for the next four centuries of Indian Islam, which we see even today.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Dogma was still pervasive during that period. Maybe, a few philosophers who rejected religion did exist, you can not call the entire society of that time open minded based on the existence of these isolated examples though.

I would like examples of cases where the society accepted ideas that were directly opposite to the prevalent dogma to call it open minded. Like how eventually the Europeans accepted heliocentricity or evolution in later centuries. The problem of the Islamic world is not that it has somehow become less open minded than in the middle ages but that it is still stuck in the middle ages.
Religious dogma was pervasive even in 16th-17th century Europe, when the Scientific Revolution took off. At the same time that people like Isaac Newton (who was himself very religious, albeit not a fundamentalist) were making breakthrough discoveries in science and mathematics, Puritan fanatics in colonial America were killing innocent people for practicing "witchcraft". It was only a small percent of the total Western population that rejected religious dogma and exercised rationalism during this time, while the masses remained quite religious and superstitious. It was really not until the 20th century that rationalism and irreligious views became widespread in Western society, but even today, there are plenty of Americans who reject evolution and theories about the creation of the Earth (like the Big Bang) because they contradict Biblical accounts. There is an entire political party in America (one out of just two) that denies evolution, and millions of Americans still vote for candidates from that political party. Even candidates who are otherwise very rational, like Ron Paul, publicly reject evolution (and this guy is a doctor) to cater to the dumb, religious masses.

Going back to the Islamic World, it is beyond doubt that they have become less open-minded and more intolerant since the Middle Ages. If a person were to publish similar criticisms of Islam in an Islamic country today, as al-Ma'arri did centuries ago, his very life would be in danger. In regards to your specific query regarding heliocentrism, while Islamic science did not make the leap towards a heliocentric model, there were actually several astronomers in the Islamic world who did consider heliocentrism, including al-Beruni, Najm al-Din al-Qazwini, and Qutbuddin Shirazi. In an age of limited technology, it was rather difficult to conclusively prove heliocentrism, but what is important is that the models were at least openly discussed, and religious dogma was not the reason why they were rejected. Even Indian astronomy, which was one of the most advanced in the world, never developed a true heliocentric model. As for the theory of evolution, this is an entirely modern theory that was elaborated only in the 19th century, but it is interesting to note that the historian Ibn Khaldun mentions in his Muqadimmah the connections between humans and monkeys, with the former "descending" from the latter:

From Chapter 1:
The animal world then widens, its species become numerous, and, in a gradual process of creation, it finally leads to man, who is able to think and reflect. The higher stage of man is reached from the world of monkeys, in which both sagacity and perception are found, but which has not reached the stage of actual reflection and thinking. At this point we come to the first stage of man. This is as far as our (physical) observation extends.
From Chapter 6:
We explained there that the whole of existence in (all) its simple and composite worlds is arranged in a natural order of ascent and descent, so that everything constitutes an uninterrupted continuum. The essences at the end of each particular stage of the worlds are by nature prepared to be transformed into the essence adjacent to them, either above or below them. This is the case with the simple material elements; it is the case with palms and vines, (which constitute) the last stage of plants, in their relation to snails and shellfish, (which constitute) the (lowest) stage of animals. It is also the case with monkeys, creatures combining in themselves cleverness and perception, in their relation to man, the being who has the ability to think and to reflect. The preparedness (for transformation) that exists on either side, at each stage of the worlds, is meant when (we speak about) their connection.
However, as Ibn Khaldun himself states, this is simply a naturalistic observation and not a systematic scientific theory as we would understand it today. Even then, as with heliocentrism, the fact that this is even mentioned, shows that religious dogma was not an impediment for the educated elites in the medieval Islamic world.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Same to you... and dont be so emotional and touchy.
I am tired of dealing with functionally illiterate, brainless idiots on a daily basis who can only post meaningless one-liners, and who are incapable of thinking even at a 7th-standard level.

Please forgive me for being "touchy".

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I am tired of dealing with functionally illiterate, brainless idiots on a daily basis who can only post meaningless one-liners, and are incapable of thinking even at a 7th-standard level.

Please forgive me for being "touchy".
You are just describing yourself... go on... not worth my time. :lol:

Simple_Guy

Something similar happened last week in Andhra Pradesh, which also has prohibition of cow slaughter laws.

Tension over cow slaughter in public place

The officials tried to downplay the provocation by claiming it were only "oxen" and no "cows". The ANDHRA PRADESH PROHIBITION OF COW SLAUGHTER AND ANIMAL PRESERVATION ACT, 1977, explicitly prohibits slaughter of cows, and of calves (both sexes). And it allows slaughter of bulls/bullocks, ONLY after a certificate if given by officials that the animal is not economical or is not likely to become economical for the purpose of breeding or draught / agricultural operations.

Another incident in Ahmedabad

In all, over 15 cows and calves were seized. The Nani Masjid area near Mirzapur and Shahpur tower area reported an altercation between police and those in possession of cows — ostensibly for slaughter.

According to Shahpur police, a group of VHP workers tried to stop a truck allegedly ferrying calves when they got in to an altercation with local residents. As they were outnumbered, the group called police at 2 am.

drkrn

If Muslim want to eat beef and if the State law allows, then there should be no hindrance.

However, whatever be the case, this type of butchery cannot be condoned.
its not the butchery of the cow that really bothers me,but defiance of law and order.why to attack police?to show their might that they can do anything they want.thats the problem with muslims.always do what they want to rather than moving with the society they live with

Simple_Guy

By the way J&K has very strict laws prohibiting cow slaughter from the days of the Dogra Maharajas. The Ranbir Penal Code of 1932, named for Maharaja Ranbir Singh, prohibits slaughter of cows,calves,bulls,oxen....no exception.

But these laws are obeyed only in Hindu-dominated Jammu region, and broken with impunity in Kashmir region:

Bovine smuggling flourishes in Kashmir

Despite the curbs being imposed by the State Police in Jammu region to check the illegal trade, the bovine smuggling is continuing, sources said, adding daily 50 to 100 bovine animals are rescued by police which are on their way to Kashmir Valley.

With police intensifying its vigil on the bovine trade, the smugglers have also adopted the new routes via jungles and river basins to smuggle the bovines to Kashmir Valley by foot and recently the Sunderbani Police rescued over a dozen such animals which were taken to Kashmir Valley via a jungle in the area.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
By the way J&K has very strict laws prohibiting cow slaughter from the days of the Dogra Maharajas. The Ranbir Penal Code of 1932, named for Maharaja Ranbir Singh, prohibits slaughter of cows,calves,bulls,oxen....no exception.

But these laws are obeyed only in Hindu-dominated Jammu region, and broken with impunity in Kashmir region:

Bovine smuggling flourishes in Kashmir
If one reads Lawrence's Valley of Kashmir, it will be seen that the Kashmiri Muslms do not eat beef.

It was written in 1895.

Lawrence was the Settlement Commissioner.

natarajan

they are treating kafirs too same as cow and they dont show mercy as most of muslims silt the throat of animals

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Even though there might be Americans who still deny Evolution or espouse Creationism, they are still not allowed to dominate the public discourse. American constitution, a 250 year old document, is still one of the finest achievement of rational thought and not even the fundies can do anything about the freedom it provides. This is not the case in most Islamic societies. My point is, we can not measure how rational a society is by the number of religious or irreligious people constituting it, rather how much religion and dogma influences that country's policies. Islamic societies still practice witch-hunts as they did in the middle ages, just recently a man was executed for being a witch in SA. Islam being a religion that was created in the middle ages and being the most dogmatic is the root cause here.
Americans who deny evolution or espouse Creationism are very much present in mainstream public discourse. Almost all members of the Republican Party believe that God created the universe, and many, including Rick Perry, Rick Santorum, Michelle Bachmann, and even doctors like Ron Paul, openly reject evolution. These are not fringe radicals but mainstream politicians, and all of them were possible presidential candidates at the Republican primary last year. As for religion influencing the policy of a country, George Bush was a certified religious loon who believed that God spoke to him and told him to invade Iraq; I wish I was kidding, but I am not.

Anyway, let us not deviate to far from the point at hand. You said that "dogma was still pervasive" during the medieval Islamic world. It might have been, but it did not prevent rationalists and freethinkers inside the Islamic world from speaking their views or denouncing Islam, just like it did not hinder European scientists and rationalists in the 16th-17th centuries. They were not killed for their views, as they would have been in Taliban-ruled Afghanistan or probably in modern Saudi Arabia. It is true that the medieval Islamic world did not have constitutional freedoms like modern America does, but then I was never claiming that the medieval Islamic world was more liberal and open-minded than modern America; I simply claimed that it was more liberal and open-minded than much of the modern Islamic world. In fact, it was quite remarkable that there was so much tolerance of dissent even when the medieval Islamic world lacked an equivalent to the Constitution.

Of course, it was this lack of an equivalent to the Constitution that eventually enabled the Traditionalists to impose their dogmas over the Rationalists. In America, even if the government was full of religious loons and nutjobs, it would not be possible for a section of society to impose their religious views on other sections of society, because the Constitution protects individual freedoms of speech and religion. Even though these freedoms largely existed in the medieval Islamic world, the problem was that they were not protected by a permanent rule of law, as they are in America, so these freedoms could be overturned when more intolerant and dogmatic factions gained power and influence (which is what happened historically).

Regarding rationality and scientific achievement of early Islamic societies, I think it is only logical that the societies following a relatively young religion would find it easier to reconcile to contemporary knowledge. This does not reflect upon how free their society was, only that they were following a religion in it's infancy and science had not deviated so far from it to cause contradiction.
I don't understand this logic. How does following a young religion make a society more open-minded?

Apostates still exist in Islam. People still criticize Islam.
An apostate or someone who criticized Islam in the former Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, or the modern Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, would very likely be killed. Al-Ma'arri and other rationalists were not killed.

Al- Ma'arri did not only criticize Islam but all religions, hence it was not seen as an attack on Islam.
?????

Are you saying that an atheist in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan who openly criticizes Islam, but also criticizes other religions, would not be perceived as attacking Islam? Do you think his views would be tolerated in such places?

Further, we can not compare it with the public reaction of today, when information travels so fast, to back then. His was time before there even was printing press, how famous/ widespread was his literature at time?
Al-Ma'arri was one of the most famous of the medieval Arab poets, and is widely known among Syrians even today. He was also reasonably well-traveled for the time, as he traveled throughout his homeland of Syria and also spent two years in Baghdad, which was the capital of the Abbasid Caliphate and the political and cultural center of the medieval Islamic world. From what I could find, he did not face any harassment, discrimination, or threats during any of his travels. Rather, he was well-received at Baghdad and acquired considerable fame and followers.

Also, I should mention that al-Ma'arri was by no means the only person in the medieval Islamic world who criticized Islam. There were many others too, including al-Warraq, al-Rawandi, and al-Razi. Here is a good book on the latter two:
Freethinkers of Medieval Islam: Ibn Al-Rawāndī, Abū Bakr Al-Rāzī and Their ... - Sarah Stroumsa - Google Books

I only used heliocentric model and evolution as an example. It is true that Indians failed to elaborate on Aryabhatta's incomplete heliocentric model but my contention is, even then Aryabhatta's model was not met with opposition or criticism on the grounds of religion.
The heliocentric model was not met with opposition or criticism on the grounds of religion in the medieval Islamic world either.

Regarding evolution, I have not met many Muslims who accept evolution as fact. This is a personal observation, however this study seems to support it Religious Differences on the Question of Evolution (2009)
The study says that the percent of Muslims who agree that evolution "is the best explanation for the origins of life on Earth" is about the same as the percent of Americans overall who agree with that statement (45% vs. 48%), and about twice that of Evangelical Protestants (24%) and Mormons (22%), both Christian sects. Does this mean that Muslims are twice as liberal and open-minded as these Christian sects? Even the more "mainstream" Christian groups don't score much higher.

If a modern Muslim rejects evolution on the ground of religion, then it shows that he is less intellectually sophisticated than his 14th century forebear.

Islam today is not different from Islam of the middle ages, it's image is amplified since the rest of the world has moved on. There is no way that Islamic society can go back to being as rational as of 1000 years ago because it never evolved from it. Since, a book that was written in the middle ages is considered unquestionable truth in Islam, there is no scope for a change either unless the change is fundamental.
It's ironic that you mention this, because there was a prominent school of thought in the medieval Islamic world - the Mu'tazila school - which believed that the Quran was a human creation, and rejected the idea that it is the infallible, unquestionable "word of God" (as believed by most orthodox Muslims today). This school of thought is almost extinct now, but it was very influential in the 9th-10th centuries.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Re: Attack on Police

its not the butchery of the cow that really bothers me,but defiance of law and order.why to attack police?to show their might that they can do anything they want.thats the problem with muslims.always do what they want to rather than moving with the society they live with
Yeah that is the thing which bothers me, I have seen a similar incident in my city when police went to arrest a Muslim in their Muhalla, police were attacked.

Last edited:

drkrn

If one reads Lawrence's Valley of Kashmir, it will be seen that the Kashmiri Muslms do not eat beef.

It was written in 1895.

Lawrence was the Settlement Commissioner.
there are some muslim families who dont even eat egg.may be converted pundits

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Islam today is not different from Islam of the middle ages, it's image is amplified since the rest of the world has moved on. There is no way that Islamic society can go back to being as rational as of 1000 years ago because it never evolved from it. Since, a book that was written in the middle ages is considered unquestionable truth in Islam, there is no scope for a change either unless the change is fundamental.
It's ironic that you mention this, because there was a prominent school of thought in the medieval Islamic world - the Mu'tazila school - which believed that the Quran was a human creation, and rejected the idea that is the infallible, unquestionable "word of God". This school of thought is almost extinct today, but it was very influential in the 9th-10th centuries.
That is true that there was the Mu'tazili school of Kalam, but it faded out. though I read somewhere that the texts of a Mu'tazili scholar, Abd al-Jabbar al-Qadi, was found in a Middle Eastern country.

However, with the Salafis hijacking Islam and their spreading the militant mindset, and given the geopolitical environment, there is very little chance of any change in the outlook in the near future.

Yeah that is the thing which bothers me, I have seen a similar incident in my city when police went to arrest a Muslim in their Muhalla, police were attacked.
It is the backlash of the 'they' and 'us' mindset that has permeated the Indian society because of the vote bank politics.

A sad commentary, but nevertheless a reality.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
there are some muslim families who dont even eat egg.may be converted pundits
I am told that all Kashmiris were Panditst. And that when those who want to return to Hinduism were denied to re-convert, they became Sikhs. Though I cannot vouch for either as authentic facts.

However, it maybe interesting to note that the Kashmiris have not had even 100 years of independent Kashmiri rule, and instead were ruled by foreigners.

The Afghans and the Chaks tortured and tormented the Kashmiris and forced them to convert.

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
That is true that there was the Mu'tazili school of Kalam, but it faded out. though I read somewhere that the texts of a Mu'tazili scholar, Abd al-Jabbar al-Qadi, was found in a Middle Eastern country.

However, with the Salafis hijacking Islam and their spreading the militant mindset, and given the geopolitical environment, there is very little chance of any change in the outlook in the near future.

It is the backlash of the 'they' and 'us' mindset that has permeated the Indian society because of the vote bank politics.

A sad commentary, but nevertheless a reality.
Sir in that incident the police went again to arrest them with full force and after some injuries to both the parties arrested them , but even more unfortunately that incident was politicized by the opposition party (Congress) and Muslim organisations, they were demanding the suspension of those police officers who excuted a legally valid arrest warrant. Yeah :( sadly the vote bank politics is silently killing the country.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Sufis are among the most radical and fervent Muslims.

The Islamic world needs a resurgence of the Mu'tazila school and a return to the rationalism and openness of the medieval Islamic world. The Sufis, Salafis, and Wahhabis are all mindless radicals, just in different flavors.

This Incident took place in Sansrod village and the Muslims of these village are mainly Sufis, Bohras and Koches .

The problem with people is this that they really dont want to understand the sectarian divisions within Muslims nor the political hand in such incidents . In South India ..

Already there are Fatwas issued by Darul Uloom Deoband since years to stop Cow sacrifices .

Avoid sacrifice of cows on Eid: Darul Uloom - Times Of India

Avoid cow slaughter: Deoband - The Hindu

Avoid cow slaughter on Eid-ul-Azha: Deoband to Muslims : Latest Headlines, News - India Today

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles