China-Sri Lanka signs US$500 mn agreement for Col South terminal

agentperry

these things shouldnt be given so much attention. trade routes out animosity and thus if trade between Sri Lanka and India rises then we may see future generations in both countries talking and interacting just any two good neighbors.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Vram,

Does not happen all the times. Most shipments are via Singapore. I guess it depends on the routing of concerned shipping company.

But yes, SL port is depended on Indian shipments.

Param

these things shouldnt be given so much attention. trade routes out animosity and thus if trade between Sri Lanka and India rises then we may see future generations in both countries talking and interacting just any two good neighbors.
This is not about Bhai chara between India and Sri Lanka. This is not about improving our trade relations with them.
The Discussion here is about how India can benefit by Indian ports replacing Colombo as a transhipment hub and benefiting in a big way. Why should we let go of all that business?

If you want better ties maybe a Bollywood film festival organised in SL would be a good idea.

Oracle

Good for us. Why bother about a tiny country? A Sovereign county.

If and when necessary, India can bomb the hell out of SL, Chinese would also not be spared.

Skyline

Nope we dont even need to compete, we just need to complete.

Most of the transshipment containers are bound to India only.

The only ships that will be bound to Colombo for cargo is for Dilmah tea when the expected projects get completed.
Competition is automatically happening ;)

(Spark is that u @ PDF? I think I know you. :D)

KS

Bye bye DFI
That sounds as if India only had a Tamil policy but not a Sri Lanka policy. India wanted to keep SL divided by propping up a separatist force LTTE (like Turkey for Cyprus). On the contrary China supported an integrated SL wiping out LTTE. Thanks to your folly China is able to make inroads into SL
Our folly was not being consistent in our support to the Tamils. If that consistency had been there a Indian puppet state of Tamil Eelam would have been there right now.

BTW - if you think that the Tigers were defeated only because of Chinese help, think again ;)

Last edited:

no smoking

Country flag
Good for us. Why bother about a tiny country? A Sovereign county.

If and when necessary, India can bomb the hell out of SL, Chinese would also not be spared.
Yes, india of course has plenty musle to show those small countries who is the boss.
I just wonder what they would think about it.
When chinese comes, they got money.
When indian comes, they got fist only.

vram

Country flag
Yes, india of course has plenty musle to show those small countries who is the boss. <br>
I just wonder what they would think about it.<br>
When chinese comes, they got money.<br>
When indian comes, they got fist only.
<br><br><br>Actually my friend go any where from Philipines to Indonasia to Vietnam most of all and you can just replace the word 'INDIA' in your above post with 'CHINA' and what you say will be true. Quite ironical isn't it? Do you even realise the number of incidents that China has had with its niegbours in the last year starting from Japan to Vietnam. All this after being seperated from them by quite a distance by a sea!<br>Atleast we Indians don't claim the whole Indian Ocean as OURS ONLY ;)<br>Last time checked China claimed the whole south China sea as it EEZ even by far superceeding the 12KM from coast mark set by UNITED NATIONS 1982 MARITIME WORLD CONVENTIONS <strong>while the WHOLE WORLD I repeat the WHOLE world accepts as the International LAW</strong><br><br>

no smoking

Country flag
<br><br><br>Actually my friend go any where from Philipines to Indonasia to Vietnam most of all and you can just replace the word 'INDIA' in your above post with 'CHINA' and what you say will be true. Quite ironical isn't it? Do you even realise the number of incidents that China has had with its niegbours in the last year starting from Japan to Vietnam. All this after being seperated from them by quite a distance by a sea!<br>Atleast we Indians don't claim the whole Indian Ocean as OURS ONLY ;)<br>Last time checked China claimed the whole south China sea as it EEZ even by far superceeding the 12KM from coast mark set by UNITED NATIONS 1982 MARITIME WORLD CONVENTIONS <strong>while the WHOLE WORLD I repeat the WHOLE world accepts as the International LAW</strong><br><br>
Yes, China claims the whole south china sea. But China didn't threat to bomb another country's own port just because it has come civilian contract with india or US.

On the other hand, China is looking for improve trade relationship with those countries, which means both sides would be benefited from these deal!

So, it is quite natural that india or indians want to show its musile to its neigbourhood. But in the meatime you have to show them the money. And that is exactly where india lag behind.

Skyline

We always hear loud noises from India when we're dealing with China, main reason is they think there will be a military base in SL.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
We always hear loud noises from India when we're dealing with China, main reason is they think there will be a military base in SL.
Of course, we have our concerns of SL ports being used a listening post by China to spy on Indian Naval activities. So, SL should be careful in allowing such activities as it is detrimental to our interests. And its not good for a small country like SL to get entangled in a tussle between two regional powers.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles