China, Sri Lanka agree loans, defence

amoy

China, Sri Lanka agree loans, defence; seek to allay Indian worries | Reuters

China and Sri Lanka agreed on $1.5 billion in private-sector investment in the northern express highway, which links Kandy in the central part of Sri Lanka, to Jaffna in the north, Peiris said.

Officials from the two sides also agreed on the extension of a railway, the southern highway and the development of the port of Colombo, the country's capital, Peiris said.

Similar port developments from Myanmar to Pakistan have raised Indian fears about Chinese political and military influence, but Rajapaksa has rejected such concerns, saying China's presence in Sri Lanka is strictly business-related.

Sri Lanka's location astride an ancient and lucrative trade route in the Indian Ocean makes it of strategic commercial and military interest to Washington, New Delhi and Beijing.

That, some analysts theorize, makes it a prime part of China's so-called "String of Pearls" strategy to surround India and project its presence by setting up coaling stations under commercial auspices at port after port in the Indian Ocean.

So far, the weapons of influence have been financial: India and China have both funded huge chunks of Rajapaksa's $6 billion post-war overhaul of roads, railways, ports and power plants.

The loans offered by China to Sri Lanka, which were signed on Tuesday along with the other agreements, make up a "preferential bias" credit facility for infrastructure, Peiris said.

China and Sri Lanka have also agreed on cooperation related to defence, "defence-related training, logistics and maritime security, and have agreed in principle to establish a free trade agreement, Peiris said.

China has stood steadfast with Sri Lanka while it has faced international criticism including from Indian poliicians for alleged human rights violations in the final stages of the war with Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam in May 2009.
Chini Lankan Bhai Bhai:lol:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
All because of UPA support to DMK and political insensitivity in Tamil Nadu, China has got a great strategic opportunity in Indian Ocean Region with Sri Lanka. Will the DMK and AIADMK condemn China for its support to Sri Lanka (the Tamil genocide issue)?:rolleyes:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
All because of UPA support to DMK and political insensitivity in Tamil Nadu, China has got a great strategic opportunity in Indian Ocean Region with Sri Lanka. Will the DMK and AIADMK condemn China for its support to Sri Lanka (the Tamil genocide issue)?:rolleyes:
Your post qualifies you to be an idiotic good for nothing Hindian. :D

I am sure you will feel offended by the above line but older members will know what I mean

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD

Country flag
Sri Lanka wants to be a pain in.the ass maybe its time they got their teeth kicked in.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
:rotflmao:

Homo Tamilius aaya... Bhagooo!!! :troll:

I am sure you will feel offended by the above line but older members will know what I mean

SamwiseTheBrave

don`t egt why you refute a perfectly logical question which was asked. after all DMK & AIADMK should be put to the test and be seen if they universally condenm all supporters of the SL govt. whether Indian or Chinese.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
don`t egt why you refute a perfectly logical question which was asked. after all DMK & AIADMK should be put to the test and be seen if they universally condenm all supporters of the SL govt. whether Indian or Chinese.
You too didn't get it :)

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag

Sir I don't belong to Tamil Nadu or Sri Lanka. I just wanted to know what will be their reaction (i.e. Tamil political parties) to this development since they are all out against Sri Lanka.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Being a Buddhist country, i wonder why is SL closing their eyes when chines are killing Buddhist in Tibet?

TrueSpirit

Being a Buddhist country, i wonder why is SL closing their eyes when chines are killing Buddhist in Tibet?
No one wants to put all their eggs in one basket, so nations diversify their relationships & engagements. Especially, when India could not protect their interests on the world stage & effectively isolated it at UN (India had the option of abstaining from vote), they rightly understood that it was all the more imperative upon them to embrace the Dragon. It is only wise to develop relations with a rising world power. Sri Lankans are are doing what they consider is in their interest, howsoever flawed or pertinent their view might be.

China, today, is capable of offering much more than India is willing to, or, capable of (think, infrastructure development-ports, roads, power etc., industrial development & small-large arms). Chinese wage hard currency coupled with military-diplomatic muscle & win competition world over, be it African nations, Central & West Asia, Latin America, Australia or Canada.

We must not forget that Sri Lanka has never been comfortable with an overbearing Indian presence. They permitted construction of "Voice of America" radio construction (euphemism for CIA surveillance ops) in late '70's, a seemingly minor action whose repercussions are still being felt in some ways. Indian security establishment was alarmed. Events transpired in quick succession & India decided to play the Tamil card, so spawned (fanned) the country-wide Tamil insurgency (which was but a localized issue, to begin with). Prabhakaran got trained in IMA & returned to Lanka, only to eliminate all rival political factions of Tamil secessionist movement, to eventually emerge as the face of Tamil resistance in Lanka. The rest is history.

TrueSpirit

No one wants to put all their eggs in one basket, so nations diversify their relationships & engagements. Especially, when India could not protect their interests on the world stage & effectively isolated it at UN (India had the option of abstaining from vote), they rightly understood that it was all the more imperative upon them to embrace the Dragon. It is only wise to develop relations with a rising world power. Sri Lankans are are doing what they consider is in their interest, howsoever flawed or pertinent their view might be.

China, today, is capable of offering much more than India is willing to, or, capable of (think, infrastructure development-ports, roads, power etc., industrial development & small-large arms). Chinese wage hard currency coupled with military-diplomatic muscle & win competition world over, be it African nations, Central & West Asia, Latin America, Australia or Canada.

We must not forget that Sri Lanka has never been comfortable with an overbearing Indian presence. They permitted construction of "Voice of America" radio construction (euphemism for CIA surveillance ops) in late '70's, a seemingly minor action whose repercussions are still being felt in some ways. Indian security establishment was alarmed. Events transpired in quick succession & India decided to play the Tamil card, so spawned (fanned) the country-wide Tamil insurgency (which was but a localized issue, to begin with). Prabhakaran got trained in IMA & returned to Lanka, only to eliminate all rival political factions of Tamil secessionist movement, to eventually emerge as the face of Tamil resistance in Lanka. The rest is history.
I meant "Radio broadcasting station"

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

Even in he early 70s indo-pak war sri lanka allowed transit of Pakistani armed forces personnel on it's civilian planes much to the disadvantage of India.

It also has been an enthusiastic supporter of indain ocean nuclear free zone right against the strategic aims of India in the company of americans right through the 70s and 80s,

All these happened much before India ever gave a single bullet to Sri Lankan tamils.Infact there was no LTTE in those days.
The reason they wanted to do all these was they were never prepared to let tamils live as equals.They knew if they went about expelling tamils India will react.Thats why they always looked for a counter force against India, despite India using only diplomatic channels till the 70s.

Fed up with their continuous betrayal Indira Gandhi decided to support Sri Lankan tamils.So it is false to say that only because of the Indian support to LTTE , the lankans are aligning with China. Even now after being the largest importer of Sri lankan goods under a very liberal free trade agreement Sri lankans are still looking to harm Indian interest by aligning with china. The MMS-Sonia combine's connivance at the genocide of tamils haven't changed the Srilankan tiger's spots.

Now realizing that Indo-US strategic ties are deepening they are aligning to China to harm India's strategic moves. They are trying to repeal the 13th amendment which was the corner stone of INDO-SRI LANKAN accord to contain the LTTE. After having India as a supportive spectator in their war against tamils now they are discarding India.

The Sri lankan govt always looked for a partner in crime against India.Hindians should never forget it.Now the srilankan govt is acting as if it was only due to indian support to LTTE , that they are sleeping with china.

They are trying to fool us again in the same way the old wily Jayawarthane fooled the inexperienced Rajiv govt into sending IPKF.

The reason is plain and simple. The sinhalese majority there always wanted to drive out the tamils at an oppurtuate moment.

They knew that would get negative reactions from India.That is why they were continuously searching for a partner in crime against India.

It is a sad history that after indira gandhi , no Indian leader ever realized this and played all their cards wrong.Only Indira Gandhi recognized the cussed intentions of the Lankan and started supporting LTTE, realizing a viable tamil population in SRi LAnka will help India's cause.

Sadly her son Rajiv fell into the Jayawardhane trap. And with Sonia-Manmohan combine literally licking the boots of rajapakse regime India has been left with no cards to play here.

Because the lankans know the Sonia-MMS combine's priority has nothing to do with india's strategic security. So now they are openly insulting India.

tamils ans Sinhalese always lived as separate nation in Srilanka before British conquered it.many Hindians here do not even know this and look at tamil liberation struggle as sheer terrorism

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
tamils ans Sinhalese always lived as separate nation in Srilanka before British conquered it.many Hindians here do not even know this and look at tamil liberation struggle as sheer terrorism
The separate Tamil nation do not even have a unique culture or a language let alone a history. Do you think we were born yesterday? :rofl:rofl:rofl:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
The separate Tamil nation do not even have a unique culture or a language let alone a history. Do you think we were born yesterday? :rofl:rofl:rofl:
Tamils are living in India almost with the same rights of citizens of a separate nation with their cultural identity well protected, their historical living area well defined and under local tamil administation.

NEHRU introduced three language schemes which has tamil,English as primary educational language and Hindi as a secondary language.he did not thrust hindi like your chauvinistic govts of the past thrust worth for nothing Sinhala down the tamil's throat.

So we tamilians feel we belong here to India ,ABDUL KALAM india's foremost missile scientist and president is a tamilian.

tamil kids can study in tamil till age 16 and secure medical and engineering without learning hindi.

If river water dispute arises we go to supreme court to get a settlement with our neighbouring states with no interference from central govt.

Election commission is free and fair. India's finance and home ministry for the past 8 years were headed by a tamilian.So we belong as indans.

But genocidal thugs will find things like this little hard to comprehend, I understand

TrueSpirit

I couldn't help but smile at @ersakthivel constant reference to me as a "Hindian" (In fact, I am still laughing as it type it). Okay, enough of that.

The narration shared above (by @ersakthivel) is factually correct.

Sri Lankan govt. have constantly irked India with their actions that were in direct violation of Indian interests. Hell, they allegedly even allowed the PNS Ghazi (the only Pak submarine with enough range & endurance to constitute a major threat) to circumnavigate through its waters & these overtures directly risked the existence of INS Vikrant in 1971 war. It's is not difficult to imagine what would have happened if that sub was successful in its mission of damaging our sole AC. Our naval embargo would have become ineffective (allowing the West & other Pak sympathizers to replenish Pak war supplies), war would have protracted & maybe, it would not have reached to its logical conclusion. This incident alone (& there were countless such "incidents") positions Sri Lanka as our enemy, or at the very least, a partner-in-crime.

But, that fact stands that if Indian govt. have consistently been taken for a ride by shrewd Sri Lankans, it is our govt's failing, since GoI. is responsible for protecting the Indian republic, its people's lives & its interests. And, GoI summarily failed to discharge it's responsibility when LTTE was gunning down our forces in Lanka, due to it's inept handling of the whole issue. It failed to contain LTTE when it was needed. Our forces were on the receiving end of both the LTTE bullets as well as ultra-nationalist "Pro-Singhal-dweep" forces.

LTTE got out of RAW's hand & charted it's own independent course that was detrimental to Indian interests. And, to top it all, it's course was determined by nations like UK & USA where gullible N.R. Tamil sympathizers were cajoled into playing into Prabhakaran's hand & all that while, they were made to believe that they are contributing something to the Tamil "liberation struggle". It is another matter that from Sri Lanka's perspective, the liberation struggle was a sham & nothing more than a secessionist movement conjured up & spawned by the "evil RAW" (Lankan perspective, not mine).

Now, how liberated the Sri Lankans Tamils today are, is for all to see"¦.Need I say more ?

Lesson for GoI & governments world over: Do not create monsters you cannot control. These monsters do a Frankenstein on you (think, J.Bhindranwala, the epitome of virtue: Prabhakaran, OBL & Pakistan).

I have shared a very abridged, high-level & simplistic account of things. I do not wish to go into details (names, myriad shady deals & power-broking arrangements; it is all in public domain, anyway). Neither I wish to enter into a debate. I am simply a dis-interested neutral observer. No soft-corner or hate for any party.

Sri Lankan govt. have piqued India. It is repeating the same behavior today by deepening it's engagement with our rivals/foes. But I am yet to see a nation in our neighborhood who has not/ is not following suit (sans Bhutan). Is it too hard to explain this phenomena? It is in the interest of all nations to cement their ties with China. For one simple reason, China's ascendance as a superpower has found takers.

Chinese govt. have delivered in its own country & it lures countries into its fold by showcasing that very development. Can our govt. do the same for our neighboring nations (e.g. bringing Tibet Railway to Kathmandu & modern infrastructure building). Wherever we are doing that, we continue to retain our clout, for example: in Bhutan (power-generation projects), a slippery Nepal (hydel projects) & even Burma these days (by serving as a bridge between the isolated regime & the West).
But, when our rifles do not work for our friends (who are depending upon us for safeguarding their lives & sovereignty), we have to bear repercussions. Unless our governments (& our polity) deliver in our own country & lead by example, no nation is going to pay much attention to some random clauses of bilateral friendship treaties & historical ties. Like corporations, everyone wants individuals, entities & institutions that deliver.

Wrapping up, I would like to cite an age-old stratagem being executed successfully by our neighbors:

By playing up China against India & vice-versa, these small nations are only going to gain (in fact, they have already scored several goals). Both rivals bend over backwards, give concessions & accommodate their sensitivities in the fear of losing our clout over our friends. Result: these small nations are experiencing exponential increase in FDI, infrastructure development, favorable trade-agreements, quicker/simpler visa regime & what not from both rivals. It is a win-win proposition for these nations these days.

In diplomacy & foreign policy, no permanent frineds & foes, only permanent interests. Sri Lankan, Nepalese, Chinese & probably Indian govt. as well (hard to believe, isn't it) is simply doing what it thinks is in the interest of their nations. The only way out for Indian govt. is to deliver. Excuses, blame-game & vilification of every single nation won't work. It is a trade: any bilateral relationship: I scratch your back, your do mine.

Finally, for the record, "there is YOUR truth & there is MY truth. But NO absolute truths". Now, who said that ? :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

HeinzGud

Country flag
Tamils are living in India almost with the same rights of citizens of a separate nation with their cultural identity well protected, their historical living area well defined and under local tamil administation.

NEHRU introduced three language schemes which has tamil,English as primary educational language and Hindi as a secondary language.he did not thrust hindi like your chauvinistic govts of the past thrust worth for nothing Sinhala down the tamil's throat.

First of all I was not talking about India. I was talking about Sri Lanka. Second, the Language act in 1956 did not stop or barred the use of Tamil in daily life it just replaced English with Sinhala as the state language. Why not the so patriotic 1000 year old Tamils did not even gave a damn about English being their official language? Go figure. :wave:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I couldn't help but smile at @ersakthivel constant reference to me as a "Hindian" (In fact, I am still laughing as it type it). Okay, enough of that.

The narration shared above (by @ersakthivel) is factually correct.

Sri Lankan govt. have constantly irked India with their actions that were in direct violation of Indian interests. Hell, they allegedly even allowed the PNS Ghazi (the only Pak submarine with enough range & endurance to constitute a major threat) to circumnavigate through its waters & these overtures directly risked the existence of INS Vikrant in 1971 war. It's is not difficult to imagine what would have happened if that sub was successful in its mission of damaging our sole AC. Our naval embargo would have become ineffective (allowing the West & other Pak sympathizers to replenish Pak war supplies), war would have protracted & maybe, it would not have reached to its logical conclusion. This incident alone (& there were countless such "incidents") positions Sri Lanka as our enemy, or at the very least, a partner-in-crime.

But, that fact stands that if Indian govt. have consistently been taken for a ride by shrewd Sri Lankans, it is our govt's failing, since GoI. is responsible for protecting the Indian republic, its people's lives & its interests. And, GoI summarily failed to discharge it's responsibility when LTTE was gunning down our forces in Lanka, due to it's inept handling of the whole issue. It failed to contain LTTE when it was needed. Our forces were on the receiving end of both the LTTE bullets as well as ultra-nationalist "Pro-Singhal-dweep" forces.

LTTE got out of RAW's hand & charted it's own independent course that was detrimental to Indian interests. And, to top it all, it's course was determined by nations like UK & USA where gullible N.R. Tamil sympathizers were cajoled into playing into Prabhakaran's hand & all that while, they were made to believe that they are contributing something to the Tamil "liberation struggle". It is another matter that from Sri Lanka's perspective, the liberation struggle was a sham & nothing more than a secessionist movement conjured up & spawned by the "evil RAW" (Lankan perspective, not mine).

Now, how liberated the Sri Lankans Tamils today are, is for all to see"¦.Need I say more ?
how liberated?!!!!!!!!!!!! haven't you seen the latest india today report on thier plight? The sinhalese army is till squating in fertile tamil lands citing security as the reason after full four years after the end of civil war.

RajaPakse summarily rejecting any federal structure and not even allowing police force that is manned and administered by tamils in tamil area,

And continuously declaring that they are going to repeal the 13 amendment which was the corner stone of indo-srilankan accord to upheld which thousands of IPKF soldiers paid with their life?

Declaring openly that Srilanka will not be governed by federal structure but unitary structure.

If this kind of treatment of tamils is considered fair by Hindians , please give freedom to tamil Nadu, atleast we the 70 million tamilians will see to that the tamils in lanka recieve their due.

You don't understand the feeling of the tamil youth in TN by the ball less UPA govt handling in this matter.Which selfrespecting human want to be a part of such a cowardly nation which having a population of 1 billion cannot take a stand against a 30 million strong Sinhalese.

If India always fear china, Will New delhi abandon Tamil naud , if tomorrow the chinese forces are entrenched in Sri lanka and invade tamil nadu? Another my heart goes to the people of ASSAM statement by Indian Pm and will India wash it's hands of tamil Nadu,

Go and ask the present scam mongering govt of UPA to read CHURCHIL's speeches during world war.
Lesson for GoI & governments world over: Do not create monsters you cannot control. These monsters do a Frankenstein on you (think, J.Bhindranwala, the epitome of virtue: Prabhakaran, OBL & Pakistan).

I have shared a very abridged, high-level & simplistic account of things. I do not wish to go into details (names, myriad shady deals & power-broking arrangements; it is all in public domain, anyway). Neither I wish to enter into a debate. I am simply a dis-interested neutral observer. No soft-corner or hate for any party.

Sri Lankan govt. have piqued India. It is repeating the same behavior today by deepening it's engagement with our rivals/foes. But I am yet to see a nation in our neighborhood who has not/ is not following suit (sans Bhutan). Is it too hard to explain this phenomena? It is in the interest of all nations to cement their ties with China. For one simple reason, China's ascendance as a superpower has found takers.

Chinese govt. have delivered in its own country & it lures countries into its fold by showcasing that very development. Can our govt. do the same for our neighboring nations (e.g. bringing Tibet Railway to Kathmandu & modern infrastructure building). Wherever we are doing that, we continue to retain our clout, for example: in Bhutan (power-generation projects), a slippery Nepal (hydel projects) & even Burma these days (by serving as a bridge between the isolated regime & the West).
But, when our rifles do not work for our friends (who are depending upon us for safeguarding their lives & sovereignty), we have to bear repercussions. Unless our governments (& our polity) deliver in our own country & lead by example, no nation is going to pay much attention to some random clauses of bilateral friendship treaties & historical ties. Like corporations, everyone wants individuals, entities & institutions that deliver.

Wrapping up, I would like to cite an age-old stratagem being executed successfully by our neighbors:

By playing up China against India & vice-versa, these small nations are only going to gain (in fact, they have already scored several goals). Both rivals bend over backwards, give concessions & accommodate their sensitivities in the fear of losing our clout over our friends. Result: these small nations are experiencing exponential increase in FDI, infrastructure development, favorable trade-agreements, quicker/simpler visa regime & what not from both rivals. It is a win-win proposition for these nations these days.

In diplomacy & foreign policy, no permanent frineds & foes, only permanent interests. Sri Lankan, Nepalese, Chinese & probably Indian govt. as well (hard to believe, isn't it) is simply doing what it thinks is in the interest of their nations. The only way out for Indian govt. is to deliver. Excuses, blame-game & vilification of every single nation won't work. It is a trade: any bilateral relationship: I scratch your back, your do mine.

Finally, for the record, "there is YOUR truth & there is MY truth. But NO absolute truths". Now, who said that ? :thumb:
The reference Hindians is not directed at any one. I find many people simplistically posting stuff all over the net saying ," only because of india's support for LTTE iin the past the sri lankan govt is now turning to china".because hindi heartland is very far away from indo-srilanka politics.

They don't understand that LTTE was a legitimate freedom fighting force born out of decades of unfair treatment by tamils at the hands of the sinhales.And it was an act of supreme folly on part of RAJIV govt to enter into a vacuos indo-srilankan accord which was despised by both parties the srilankan govt and the LTTE.

the Indo-sri lankan accord was such a disaster that pitted the indian govt needlessly against the tamil LTTE , Come on what was the strategic gain for the Indian govt in losing it's soldiers trying to quell a legitimate tamil uprising which was helped by itself?

It is an act of such supreme tragedy that has not been studied well and written about by any real experts till now. it is simply brushed under the carpet that the LTTE terrorist killed the IPKF soldiers and rajiv. So it is a must for India to support the thinly veiled srilankan effort to totally dcimate the tamil community.

The smaller neighbors are cocking a snook at india because they know the indian govt is spineless, ball less entity with the most myopic vision.

Indian govt wets it's pant tje moment the name china is mentioned. There is not a single ship in chinese navy that can reach the srilankan shores in case india acts against Sri lanka. Still the murderous rajapakse regime licks the chinese feet means , the guy knows the MMS-Soina combine here is a spine less ball less entity.

Even the Vietnamese gave a bloody nose to china when the push came to shove. The japanese prime minister ordered the japanese navy to fire at any chinese fighter approaching the distant seneku island.

Consider the cowardly nature of our response to the border incident , cowering under the table as if if we fire a single bullet at the chinese camp entrenched inside indian territory then chinese will fire all the nuclear missiles at india. our little neighbors would have had a hearty laugh at the cowardly reaction of the indian super power. Thats why small nations like Sri lanka tease us with chinese friendship.

Remeber the cuban missile crisis ,Young kennedy stood steadfast without blinking. Warning the mighty Soviet Union that if missiles land in Cuba there will be retaliation. Just compare that to the indian response.

Offering everything to smaller neighbors alone will not do the trick. India has a free trade agreement with Srilanka and also india is the largest buyer of Srilankan goods.Look who the Srilankans call for thorium mining in the gulf of mannar , china.

Many Hindians often forget that the abject failure of indian nation to stop the genocide and uprootment of tamils (hindus and one of the indian nationalities)from their
historical birth place in sri lanka as a sign of no balls India.

And it will only embolden more mischief from our smaller neighbors.

TrueSpirit

@ersakthivel: Your post supports my position, out & out. Spineless GoI is the keyword. We are a laughing stock in the comity of nations.
However, in my post, I have tried to offer a broader perceptive regarding geo-political equations in our geography. There is as pattern here, repeating itself throughout history.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles