China frees 13 jailed Gujaratis, Modi welcomes verdict

Galaxy

Country flag
China frees 13 jailed Gujaratis, Modi welcomes verdict

Source: DNA | Last Updated 04:09(08/12/11)

Ahmedabad/Surat: A Chinese court on Wednesday ordered release of 13 out of 22 jailed Gujarati diamond traders, while handing out jail sentences ranging from three to six years to the remaining nine.

Families of the traders and the diamond industry have welcomed the development, which incidentally, comes close on the heels of chief minister Narendra Modi's visit to China in November.

Authorities in Shenzhen province of China had arrested the 22 diamond traders, most of them belonging to Surat and Mumbai, on charges of smuggling on January 8, 2010.

They were found to be smuggling diamonds into Shenzhen from Hong Kong without paying any duty. They were also charged with controlling a smuggling ring.

A court in Shenzhen on Wednesday acquitted 11 of the arrested traders and ordered their deportation. One of the traders was sentenced to imprisonment of one year and 11 months. However, he would be released immediately and deported having already spent 23 months in jail.

The court also slapped a fine of one million Yuan (Approx. Rs80 lakh) on another diamond trader and ordered his deportation.

Modi thanks China

Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday thanked China for acting on his request to speed up the judicial process for 22 Indian diamond traders, most of them from the state, imprisoned there.

"Thankful to China for acting on my request of speeding judicial process for 22 Indians imprisoned there for 2 years," Modi tweeted.

Modi had last month gone on a five-day visit to China to explore investment opportunities here. During his visit the chief minister had also taken up the issue of diamond traders languishing in China's jail, with the ruling Communist Party of China.

A leading diamond industry body of Surat has welcomed the judgement saying it is a positive steps towards getting justice.

(With PTI inputs)

China frees 13 jailed Gujaratis, Modi welcomes verdict - www.daily.bhaskar.com

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If Modi has achieved this, then it is a coup of sorts.

However, Modi, can do so since he is not responsible for the other factors that India has to confront with China with!

Galaxy

Country flag
This is called Courage and Diplomacy. Hail Modi as next P.M. :thumb:

Galaxy

Country flag
modi is probably the only indian leader that can get this kind of respect from the ccp.
:thumb:

Absloutely. He is the most capable Indian leader who can make difference going forward.

Tianshan

i think your other media site "TOI" does not want any face, look at how they twisted the story. read the third paragraph especially.

China frees 13 Indians from jail, Modi claims credit - The Times of India

BEIJING/SURAT: Thirteen of the 22 Indian diamond merchants and workers languishing in Chinese jails for nearly two years will be returning home in a day or two following a verdict by the local court in South China's Shenzhen city on Wednesday.

The rest will remain in jail for additional terms ranging between one month and six years as the court found them responsible for diamond smuggling.

Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi was quick to claim credit and thanked China for acting on his request made during his visit to China last month to speed up the judicial process for the diamond traders.
it's not difficult to see that the ccp is paying respect to modi, and not to the current indian government. i don't know how toi can report like this.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
i think your other media site "TOI" does not want any face, look at how they twisted the story. read the third paragraph especially.

it's not difficult to see that the ccp is paying respect to modi, and not to the current indian government. i don't know how toi can be so biased.
Times of India always fabricate the title to make it more sensational and controversial.:pound:

Sometime, ToI title has nothing to do with exact news.

Also, It is pro Congress and Modi is perfect opposite. :)

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Times of India always fabricate the title to make it more sensational and controversial.:pound:

Sometime, ToI title has nothing to do with exact news.

Also, It is pro Congress and Modi is perfect opposite. :)
TOI was good when I was in school. After that in the last 5-10 years, it has become CONgress' lapdog, dancing and rolling to its tunes. Anything to discredit the Lion eh?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

it's not difficult to see that the ccp is paying respect to modi, and not to the current indian government. i don't know how toi can report like this.
That's because TOI is bought by the ruling losers called UPA. They are spineless cowards while Modi is the next Leader (PM is too light a title for him... even Munni-mohan is a "PM" right now..lol).

agentperry

well its a gentle move from china. an aussie got 13 yr jail term while these gujjus got at max 6 yr jail term with the detention period included.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles