Indian nuclear submarines

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
The analysis is all nice, but can someone shed light on which satellite clicked this snap. The sub seems to be specifically placed for display.
ATV2 for loading operation, ATV1 was their for showoff. So atleast three nuke subs in the area (assuming INS Chakra around).

Since Chini are getting on high, Arihant testing K4 MIRV, would take their sleep away.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
We need at least 50-100 nukes at sea all times.
Now we have ATV1 (4X3)=12
ATV2 (8×3)=24
So 36 small or 12 big or combo of both. But both subs cannot be at sea all the time.

Plus ATV1 would be for testing in future. So we need 6 SSBN. So that 3 could be at sea all the time.
Are nuclear tipped missiles already loaded onto ATVs.?

Aghore_King

Country flag
DAE scientists at the "PRP" (Plutonium recycling Project) said that they were ready to build N-reactors for a carrier, all they were waiting for was a government directive ordering them to do so. So I concur with Chinmoy and Pink Chaudhary.

I believe its better to wait until we can build quieter SSBNs. The precursor to that would be quieter SSNs. I remember Parikrama talking about India getting Barracuda shortfin from France for Project 75I and then feeeding that tech into the Indigenous SSN programme (frankly I am skeptical, but Parikrama is more qualified in these matters, so......). If that turns out to be correct, we can see significantly quieter SSNs post-2030 and subsequently we can see significantly quieter SSBN class. By then we most certainly will have an SLBM in the 12000 km class (provided there is political will for it) to arm these new quieter SSBNs. This can be one possible route. Till then, we can rely on the Arihant and its 2 larger cousins armed with K-4 and patrolling in Northern Bay of Bengal to deter China. But for now, I think we need to stop constructing more SSBNs and focus on developing SSNs that are significantly quieter.
It seems good but are the French willing to share their expertise....

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Interesting question, Answer why are they made in first place. Few pics shows missile tubes. You know our intentions.
Yup, silly question. No use of nuclear submarine if no nukes are locked and loaded on there. What I really wanted to know was are all silos loaded with nuclear missiles or some conventional warheads also present there.

Khagesh

We need at least 50-100 nukes at sea all times.
Now we have ATV1 (4X3)=12
ATV2 (8×3)=24
So 36 small or 12 big or combo of both. But both subs cannot be at sea all the time.

Plus ATV1 would be for testing in future. So we need 6 SSBN. So that 3 could be at sea all the time.
Since we are destined to be 'only the 6th nation to do anything', our requirements would depend on what the other 5 jokers and their allies are doing. The 6 SSBN + 6 SSN were all meant to sport a high degree of flexibility in deployment. The classifications are merely for the primary jobs. But even navies around the world have not remained untouched by the 'multi-role' keeda. Most SSNs while bearing the primary role of hunting for other guys navy, still boast of a hugely significant strategic capability. For example a Yassen carries, besides the usual stuff, the following too which can if the need arises be tasked with purely nuke roles:

8 x VLS equipped silos for either:
32 (8 x 4) with Oniks
or
40 (8 x 5) with Kalibr-PL anti-ship, anti-submarine and land attack submarine launched weapon.
Kh-101 cruise missiles.

No rational anti-cruise missile defence system will be able to handle that many.

Our future sub arm too may evolve in yet unforeseen ways.

bose

Country flag
Actually we should plan subs in that way that we maintain our fleet. Suppose , life cycle of sub is 30 years that we must build one every year to maintain the fleet once the full fleet is build.
India needs to build such that it has at least 30 fully operational subs by 2025...

India needs three submarine building yard... one is Mazagon Mumbai, second is Hindustan Shipyard Ltd at Visakhapatnam and third one is probably Pipavav Gujarat ... Ideal will be to get 4 yards building Submarines...

India needs at least 2 submarines per year joining the fleet...

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
India needs to build such that it has at least 30 fully operational subs by 2025...

India needs three submarine building yard... one is Mazagon Mumbai, second is Hindustan Shipyard Ltd at Visakhapatnam and third one is probably Pipavav Gujarat ... Ideal will be to get 4 yards building Submarines...

Why not L&T ?
They also have such Capability.

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
We have building Capability but problem is the Government opposition always.
If Government raised the Defense budget than opposition said that they wasted the fund , it can be used for development.
And if Government reduced it than opposition said that the government is not serious about national security.

Presently politics ruin our security strength.

When we need unity between all parties for National Security, Congress top leaders met with chinese ambassador in private. What the hell is going with them.

Aghore_King

Country flag
We have building Capability but problem is the Government opposition always.
If Government raised the Defense budget than opposition said that they wasted the fund , it can be used for development.
And if Government reduced it than opposition said that the government is not serious about national security.

Presently politics ruin our security strength.

When we need unity between all parties for National Security, Congress top leaders met with chinese ambassador in private. What the hell is going with them.
These are the enemies within....

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
It seems good but are the French willing to share their expertise....
I don't think so. IMHO, to them, Australia is more reliable than India, especially 'cause we got ties with Russia.

Actually we should plan subs in that way that we maintain our fleet. Suppose , life cycle of sub is 30 years that we must build one every year to maintain the fleet once the full fleet is build.
AFAIK, the reactor on Arihant has a design life of <10 years. First we need to build reactors that can operate without refueling for at least 15 years.

Not all shipyards have the technical capability to build submarines. And I would not expect private shipyards to share technology and expertise like that amongst one another when they are competing for orders. Apart from Mazagaon and L&T, nobody else has the capability to build submarines.

bose

Country flag
Not all shipyards have the technical capability to build submarines. And I would not expect private shipyards to share technology and expertise like that amongst one another when they are competing for orders. Apart from Mazagaon and L&T, nobody else has the capability to build submarines.
I understand that all shipyards can not build Submarines ...

We should continue the momentum gained in Mazagon dock, Mumbai for submarines [ currently we are getting one Submarine every 9 months]... we must further extend the collaboration on Scorpene with DCN ... If DRDO AIP is not ready get it from DCN... We should also explore we can get shortfin barracuda...

If I am not wrong Hindustan Shipyard at Vishakapatnam can also build Submarines and it will be major Nuclear Submarine based for all SSBN / SSK for India...

We need atleast one more Submarine building yard in India...

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
ABG shipyard also has Capability but according to Government it is not financially sound to handle huge projects.​

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles