Ashdoc's movie review---Mirror Mirror

ashdoc

Country flag
Its the story of snow white and the seven dwarfs---retold and remodelled for the modern era.....

.......Or so I assume.....

......Because I have totally forgotten the original fairy tale I liked during my school days , which my mother used to read out to me diligently in childhood .

And remodelling it for the modern era involves it being told to us by the villain herself---Snow white's step mother , who else.....

.....And the evil step mother is played by the ever green Julia Roberts.....

And so in never never land there is a king.....and he's a good king.....

And he has a beautiful daughter---with skin as white as snow and hair that is jet black.....in fact so white she is that she is called Snow white.....

Now wait a minute.....does this mean that whiter the skin more goodlooking the person is , in this politically correct era of ours---where black people are encouraged to be proud about their colour ??

Well , we have to remind ourselves that fairy tales were born in a different era and cant be changed for today---and any attempt to tweak a story too much will be a reason for failure if it deviates from the original too much....

But snow white's mother dies and the king marries Julia Roberts who sends him to the forest from where he does not return......

And Julia takes over the kingdom and misrules , keeping the people in dire poverty while she enjoys....

But the magic mirror she keeps does not hide the truth , and keeps warning her that there is a price to pay for her deeds---deeds which she does by making the mirror cast a spell on anyone she wants to ensnare.....

One day Snow white grows up to be eighteen and eager to see the world.....

......And when she goes out into the world she sees her people suffering.....

But never mind.....

When she goes out into the world she also meets the man of her dreams---a handsome prince of course.....

And she meets and befriends seven lovable dwarfs.....

And many hands make light work.....

In short when allies meet they can change the old and evil order.....

Doesn't matter that the evil step mother falls in love with the handsome prince too , and tries to marry him by casting another spell on him......

As the mirror warns her , its her last spell---and she has to pay the long accumulated price for her evil deeds.....

Time and tide are on Snow white's side....

That and youth and innocence and virginity and goodness of heart.....

In the fairy tales its always the fair and the good who win dont they.....

But before they win , we get to see a world of magic and dances in fairy tale ballrooms and handsome princes and lovely princesses and small adventures and demons and witches and potions and spells---all of which brings nostalgic memories of your childhood alive.....

.......A carefree childhood spent on your mother's lap listening to Grimm's fairy tales free from the worries of the world as only a child can be......

.....And all of it accentuated by modern special effects.....

Now why did the director have to ruin it all by ending the movie by making the actors dance a bollywood-like bhangra ??

Oh , he's an Indian and wanted to have some Indian touch to a Hollywood film......

Never mind again....

Its still a decent watch.....

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
My daughter and I both enjoyed it. The only other movie with Julia Roberts I liked was "The Pelican Brief".

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles