2010 Zhuhai (China) Airshow

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
@reddragon:

J-10s are really nice looking fine fighters and they have a very good marketing potential. Why don't you guys pursue marketing the J-10 more openly to all countries? I mean from what I have heard on Pakistani forums, only Pakistan is offered the J-10.

You've a niche market here as there are some countries who're tired of both US and Russia--EU is too expensive for them. So why not open up your sales? $ 40 million apiece (including maintenance etc) is reasonable considering that its single engine and easier to maintain.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
s
Problems solved, believe it or not, any new powful engines have to go through this stage. There was a time F-15 was called Queen of parking lot. the picture you post is too old in Chinese standard.
Picture posted is from earlier this year. J-11B is quite the queen of the parking lot there. Have yet to see any proof J-11Bs are flying in numbers. All we keep seeing are the lone testbed.

Funny thing is, we have a picture of the planes on the tarmac, yet can't see any of the engine nozzles.

redragon

Country flag
@reddragon:

J-10s are really nice looking fine fighters and they have a very good marketing potential. Why don't you guys pursue marketing the J-10 more openly to all countries? I mean from what I have heard on Pakistani forums, only Pakistan is offered the J-10.

You've a niche market here as there are some countries who're tired of both US and Russia--EU is too expensive for them. So why not open up your sales? $ 40 million apiece (including maintenance etc) is reasonable considering that its single engine and easier to maintain.
I don't know anything about selling it, I guess when the time comes China might sell it to countries other than Pakistan, the WS-10A is ready for J-11, but according to source the Air Force still does not want to apply it to J-10 in large #, because J-10 is a solo engine fighter. Right now they are testing the engine on J-10A/B. My guess is before the engine is fully proved China won't sell it to anyone even for Pakistan. And I think it might be financially difficult for Pakistan to buy the fighter too presently.

redragon

Country flag
Picture posted is from earlier this year. J-11B is quite the queen of the parking lot there. Have yet to see any proof J-11Bs are flying in numbers. All we keep seeing are the lone testbed.

Funny thing is, we have a picture of the planes on the tarmac, yet can't see any of the engine nozzles.
I understand your suspect. For reason I can't explain, I intend to believe source on Chinese forum, even the picture you post was from Chinese forum originally.
In Chinese Forum, lately, We have seen a lot pictures of J-11B/BS fitted with WS-10A, and they have different series # painted on them.
and sources confirmed that the many J-11B in the old pictures have left the lot and replaced by newly produced one.
So the conclusion on Chinese Forum is at least the WS-10a is stable enough for applying to double engine fighters, of course it will take longer time to follow up the performance and adjust accordingly, but the most difficult time has past.
it's really difficult for country like China to develop an engine like that, after all, only USA and Russia are producing engine so powerful for fighters, China starts almost on a white paper totally

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I understand your suspect. For reason I can't explain, I intend to believe source on Chinese forum, even the picture you post was from Chinese forum originally.
In Chinese Forum, lately, We have seen a lot pictures of J-11B/BS fitted with WS-10A, and they have different series # painted on them.
Well feel free to post the different planes with their differing tail #s. That would certainly help your case. So far, haven't seen anything to support the claim they are widely installed.

and sources confirmed that the many J-11B in the old pictures have left the lot and replaced by newly produced one.
If that is the case, where is the evidence new squadrons of J-11B have been formed?

So the conclusion on Chinese Forum is at least the WS-10a is stable enough for applying to double engine fighters, of course it will take longer time to follow up the performance and adjust accordingly, but the most difficult time has past.
Unlike a Chinese Forum that doesn't require proof, we do. So post up.

it's really difficult for country like China to develop an engine like that, after all, only USA and Russia are producing engine so powerful for fighters, China starts almost on a white paper totally
The difficulty is not in question, the claims that China has done it are. Until China figures out how to make an Iris nozzle, I really don't see how it can make an engine on par with AL-31.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I don't know anything about selling it, I guess when the time comes China might sell it to countries other than Pakistan, the WS-10A is ready for J-11, but according to source the Air Force still does not want to apply it to J-10 in large #, because J-10 is a solo engine fighter. Right now they are testing the engine on J-10A/B. My guess is before the engine is fully proved China won't sell it to anyone even for Pakistan. And I think it might be financially difficult for Pakistan to buy the fighter too presently.
I asked this specifically because Pakistan has already reported to have ordered J-10Bs in "FC-20" configurations that will have your local engine, local missiles and indigenous radar and weapon systems for it. The reported number is said to be 36 with a possible follow-on (based on Pakistani economy) of 34 more. The 36 was confirmed just before Musharraf abdicated the top post in Pakistan for elections.

Another thing I don't understand in your comment is that why PLAAF is hesitant about using too many single engined jets? USAF uses more than 2,000 F-16s in its arsenal apart from the bigger F-15s. J-10 can be PLAAF's F-16. Even if you're committed to getting 5G jets, neither you nor I can commit to them in very large numbers since they'd be really expensive; meaning that until you're able to find a dozen loyal countries like JSF partners to USA, you won't be able to replace all your 4G stuff at least in the immediate future.

So why's PLAAF not accepting more?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good stuff; the pictures are very attractive.

I am sure China will do a great PR boost in these difficult times for China, if they sell it to the SE Asian countries at a "Friendship" Price to offset the US growing influence in Asia Pacific that has got a boost after the Sino Japan spat in the South China Seas.

I am sure Myanmar will readily accept, more so since it would be at a "Friendship" price, which could be offset with some more ports in the Bay of Bengal and some more roads and rail to these ports from China~.

With Balochistan made off limits by the Chinese Govt owing to the security threat, the Gwadar - Xingjian link will be limping and so the Myanmar route requires strengthening for China.

But then Aung San Suu Kyi has been freed. That would surely make China uncomfortable. She is a friend of the West and surely would not be too enamoured by China, given that China is a fast friend of those who imprisoned her in the first place.

Last edited:

redragon

Country flag
I asked this specifically because Pakistan has already reported to have ordered J-10Bs in "FC-20" configurations that will have your local engine, local missiles and indigenous radar and weapon systems for it. The reported number is said to be 36 with a possible follow-on (based on Pakistani economy) of 34 more. The 36 was confirmed just before Musharraf abdicated the top post in Pakistan for elections.

Another thing I don't understand in your comment is that why PLAAF is hesitant about using too many single engined jets? USAF uses more than 2,000 F-16s in its arsenal apart from the bigger F-15s. J-10 can be PLAAF's F-16. Even if you're committed to getting 5G jets, neither you nor I can commit to them in very large numbers since they'd be really expensive; meaning that until you're able to find a dozen loyal countries like JSF partners to USA, you won't be able to replace all your 4G stuff at least in the immediate future.

So why's PLAAF not accepting more?
Sorry I may have misled you by my English, I was saying PLAAD is hesitate in applying ws-10a to J-10 in large scale because they want to be sure that the quality of ws-10a is stable enough, because fighters with single engine are exposing more risk than those with double engines. There is no problem for PLAAF to use more single engined figters. I believe what PAF wants is J-10B, which has been integrated with ws-10a and under testing, so I think it will take at least another 2 yrs for us to confirm PAF can get those fighters

FKA3

designed by China and Russia, produced in China; but the engines are from Ukraine i think.

============

i mean, the L-15

Last edited:

Parthy

Air Warrior
Stop talking on the cell and get me that damn ladder.

Parthy

Air Warrior
J-6, CJ5, and JJ-5 to make guest appearance on Zhuhai Airshow 2010

Parthy

Air Warrior
J-10 Pilot's ride -- very fitting for a Communist People's Air Force.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles