No more good morning from now on, its Jai Hind for Indian Army

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good catch !

May be it's not made of cow leather ! :D
Maybe pigskin.

Types of Garment Leather

Cowhide is the most common leather used in the making of garments, furniture and leathergoods. Cowhide as a category covers a wide spectrum of textures and quality, but generally, it is quite durable, easy to care for and resistant to water and dirt. Cowhide leather will maintain its integrity, taking on the shape of the wearer, making it more comfortable with everyday use. This affordable, functional leather offers fashion, value and endless colours and style.

Lambskin is a very soft, luxurious leather. Its natural lightweight layers give it a distinctive, velvety touch, which suites form fitting jackets, pants, skirts as well as coats. But don't let its delicate texture discourage you. With a little extra care, lambskin is very wearable and the ultimate luxury.

Pigskin is by far the most popular and versatile, easily transformed into fashion's most current looks. When tanned on the outside, it produces smooth napa finish, often used for jackets and accessories. Tanning on the inside results in a silky suede finish. The natural, lightweight structure of pigskin produces delicate patterns, textures and silky soft naps, perfect for sportswear, shirts and blazers.

Sheepskin refers to the hide of a sheep used with the wool still attached. Usually, the wool side faces into the garment or accessory, but it can also be made reversible. The wool can be ironed, which means straightened to yield a smooth, fur-like appearance, or it can be left naturally curly. Whichever way the wool is styled, this is the warmest leather available.

Shearling is quite similar in appearance to sheepskin, the term shearling refers to hides from lambs which are generally much lighter in weight then sheepskin hides and much softer. Although they may be lighter, shearling coats are just as warm as the heavier sheepskin. They are an elegant alternative to a fur coat.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Somewhat OT however, All our Armed services should disown western Salutes and adopt a uniform and indigenous Salute.

Perhaps the one shown below

Indigenous to Rome. :)

kseeker

Retired
Indigenous to Rome.
W.G.Ewald ↑

Albania
Zogist salute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though, I'm not sure if the RSS salute and the Zogist salute developed independently. Maybe somebody could shed light on that.
AFAIK, RSS didn't adopt Zogist Salute. However, I will try to confirm this by asking senior RSS personnels who might know something about it.

Albanian Zogist Salute and RSS Salute are different, though they look a like at first glance....

See the difference w.r.t. position of hand

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Subh Sham maharajon!

Namaste!

Namoskar!

மாலை நல்ல
mālai nalla

Changing to English having established my secular nationalism and cultural supremacy with the above.

Oh with all that, I have forgotten what I intended to write!

Forgive me.

மன்னிக்க
maṉṉikka

kuttam kshamikkuka ..in Malayalam

ಕ್ಷಮಿಸು
ká¹£amisu
in Kannada

আমাকে ক্ষমা
āmākē kṣamā
in Bengali

ninja85

I am not stretching any point.

If I am, then do let me know how, rather than shield your contention in generalities.

If Good Morning is western, Jai Hind is no way means Good Morning in any Indian language.

It would possible be शुभ प्रभातम् (shubha prabhātam). I checked the same and it says so.

Have a nice day would be सुदिनमस्तु (sudinamastu ).

I am not ranting. I am merely addressing the ignoramuses who selectively differentiate between 'western' and 'Indian', as per their convenience.

Tell me, saying Good Morning is colonial? And wearing western dress is Indian? Or speaking English or eating McDobnalds is real ancient Indian? I could go on with example of how you conveniently embrace all these western things as not colonial or alien and yet find the universal "Good Morning" as offensive to the Vedic and Indic civilisation!!

Who says Namaste would cause a riot in the Army? Soldiers when they meet ladies, don't say 'Jai Hind', they say 'Namate'.

I don't have a colonial mindset.

It is just that I don't suffer from an acute, paranoiac cultural insecurity.

I am proud to be an Indian and proud not to act like a juvenile with a high degree of insecurity as to national identity.

What is wrong if troops say 'Sat Sri Akal' or "Ram Ram' in units of their composition? That is not being secular, right?

So, why don't you, as a great Indian who has no colonial afflictions write to Bickram Singh and ask him to disband the religion oriented and community oriented Regiments like the Sikh, Sikh LI, Rajput, RajRif etc?

if you do so and make him do so, I will agree that yo put your money where you mouth is. Failing which I would feel it is pseudo cultural and national fervour, aimed merely to impress.
you keep repeating same point over and over again ,

shubha prabhatam would be too much according same and present time or some may say that it is imposing Sanskrit on them so thats why general is saying jai hind ,

BUT WE SHOULD NOT FORGET EVERY INDIAN THING IN FOLLOWING WESTERN ,

IT IS NOT BEING INSECURE BECAUSE NOTHING AGAINST ENGLISH OR MCDONALDS ,

IF A GENERAL ASKING TO SAY JAI HIND THEN WHAT WRONG WITH IT,WHY SO CRITICIZE IT SO MUCH ,AND SAY STUPID THINGS - "DISBAND SIKH, RAJPUT REGIMENT" AND CALL EVERY "INDIAN" PERSON THAT "YOUR ARE INSECURE" WHENEVER HE ADMIRES HIS CULTURE EVEN IN LITTLE THINGS WITHOUT HATING OTHERS.

NOT UNDERSTANDING THIS POINT IS COLONIAL MIND SET.

MAY BE TOMORROW YOU WOULD SAY " WHY ARE WE HOLDING INDIAN FLAG , WE SHOULD HOLD BRITISH FLAG AGAIN AFTER ALL WE HAVE LARGEST ENGLISH SPEAKING POPULATION THAN ENGLAND "

DON'T FLOW TO MUCH IN GLOBALIZATION , WHILE THIS TERM COINED BY WESTERN ECONOMIC WORLD TO RUN THEIR BUSINESS WITHOUT MUCH CONSIDERING THE LOCAL CULTURE OF THE OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD.

ninja85

Dear armchair General, you are talking to someone who has served in the army unlike you.And someone who has done that knows better about the traditions of the army and what is colonial. As a matter of fact most of your Indian ways have been borrowed from somewhere else along the course of history. You keep what is good and throw what is bad, not discard everything calling it western.How old are you by the way?
OLD ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THAT "NOT EVERY MILITARY PERSON IS ENLIGHTENED BUDDHA , EINSTEIN "

NEITHER I AM GENERAL NOR I AM SOLIDER OF ANY CULTURE,

SO YOU WON'T GET EXCITEMENT IN FIGHTING WITH ME,

BUT YOU TOO BUSY IN FOLLOWING COLONIAL ADMIRAL-GENERAL THAT YOU DON'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND ,

shubha prabhatam would be too much according same and present time or some may say that it is imposing Sanskrit on them so thats why general is saying jai hind ,

IF A GENERAL ASKING TO SAY JAI HIND THEN WHAT WRONG WITH IT,WHY SO CRITICIZE IT SO MUCH ,AND SAY STUPID THINGS - "DISBAND SIKH, RAJPUT REGIMENT" AND CALL EVERY "INDIAN" PERSON THAT "YOUR ARE INSECURE" WHENEVER HE ADMIRES HIS CULTURE EVEN IN LITTLE THINGS WITHOUT HATING OTHERS.

MAY BE TOMORROW YOU WOULD SAY " WHY ARE WE HOLDING INDIAN FLAG , WE SHOULD HOLD BRITISH FLAG AGAIN AFTER ALL WE HAVE LARGEST ENGLISH SPEAKING POPULATION THAN ENGLAND "

DON'T FLOW TO MUCH IN GLOBALIZATION , WHILE THIS TERM COINED BY WESTERN ECONOMIC WORLD TO RUN THEIR BUSINESS WITHOUT MUCH CONSIDERING THE LOCAL CULTURE OF THE OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Great!

First of all, all what you say indicates you have no clue of the army, its customs, tradition and its organisational structure.

If you knew a sausage about the Army, you would not go shouting aimlessly trying to he the ultra nationalist and all others in India dubbed as dumb colonial mentality characters.

Lets walk you through the replacement of Good morning said by officers, to Jai Hind.

The operative word is that it would be more 'secular'..

Now, let us consider which is secular -

(A) the change of the words good morning to Jai hind, or

(B) having no 'discrimination' on caste, community, class and religion?

May be you are not aware that there are Regiments, which as a complete entity or whose organisational tree is based on caste, community, class and religion.

Punjab Regiment
Madras Regiment
Grenadiers Regiment
Maratha Light Infantry
Rajputana Rifles
Rajput Regiment
Jat Regiment
Sikh Regiment
Sikh Light Infantry
Dogra Regiment
Kumaon Regiment
Jammu & Kashmir Rifles
Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry
Assam Regiment
Mahar Regiment
Naga Regiment
Garhwal Rifles
Bihar Regiment
Gorkha Rifles

So, if indeed Bickram Singh wants to be 'secular', then should he not give priority to have all the units of the Indian Army beyond caste, community, class or religion?

Or by just having Officers saying Jai Hind, the Indian Army become ultra secular?

There is nothing colonial in the mindset to ridicule the cosmetic tinkering done to cloak the failure in the requisite Generalship desired and it becomes a void!

Tell me what innovation, modernisation etc etc he has achieved so far,beyond these cosmetic tweaks?

Are Chiefs to merely do cosmetic tweaks or run to the border to personally investigate the killing of soldiers on the LC just because some fool Minister tells him to behave like a messenger boy.

Any solid General would have told the Minister that the Commanders on the spot know their job and not merely, as they say in Punjabi, 'ration pad raje hai' or words to that effect!

So, what is your point?

What makes you feel that the Army is forgetting things that are Indian?

We say Jai Hind, but also used to say Good morning.

Depending on the unit, we say

Ram Ram
Jai Mata di
Sat Sri Akal,
and many more

If that is not being Indian, what is?

Do you say any of the above?

Do you greet all with a Jai Hind instead of Good Morning?

If you don't, does it mean that you are not secular and that you are forgetting your Indian culture for a foreign colonial mindset?

Forgive me, I am not being stupid.

Guess who is! ;)

Last edited:

DivineHeretic

Country flag
So, exactly what is all the superheated discussion about?

And exactly why is Caps lock turned on? That too with those massive fonts?

Any problems ???:confused:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
leave it , you won't understand.
You are right.

I do not understand politics and its ways.

But I sure understand the Army, its ethic, its ethos, its traditions, and it customs.

pkroyal

leave it , you won't understand.
@ninja85

For starters read these four highly recommended books

Slender was the thread
Himalayan Blunder
Infantry Regiments of India
Indo Pak War-1971

finish reading about the basic ethos of IA & then join in the discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
To understand the class composition of Indian Army units, read Philip Mason's 'A Matter of Honour'.

It is an India sensitive book.

You will come to know that it was only in the Bengal Presidency Army, there was this caste, community, religion, class Regiments.

It was not done in the other Presidency Armies.

The Last Stand

Country flag
So, Good Morning is British colonial repression?

Then why are we writing in English?

Let us convert to regional languages (many would refuse Hindi as a link language), wear dhotis and kurtas and instead of rifle use ancient weapons or go backwards more into history, use stones!
Me included, I'm afraid.

I never bothered learning much Hindi. My writing is fine, but understanding, grammar, words etc.

The main thing I know : mein hindi nahi maaloom hai! :cool2:

:pokerface::pokerface:

ninja85

@ninja85

For starters read these four highly recommended books

Slender was the thread
Himalayan Blunder
Infantry Regiments of India
Indo Pak War-1971

finish reading about the basic ethos of IA & then join in the discussion
my point is not about IA salutations ,

'reader'

it's about indian culture getting criticize even when IA general wants to keep the good part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles