Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

STGN

if the track width itself is 3540 mm ,then you can use your experience and arrive at what can be the hull width including side skirts?

How many mm will side skirt extend over track?
Well going in the opposite direction gives you this:

So hull width, less skirts, is around 3.54m to 3.532m.
so ~162-166mm over tracks.
STGN

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Well going in the opposite direction gives you this:

So hull width, less skirts, is around 3.54m to 3.532m.
so ~162-166mm over tracks.
STGN
But from top view you will see only the hull width of 3800mm because side skirts are also present in the picture.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

how did you think i made this turret? by pulling magic numbers out of my ass?
Lets see from whose ass you pulled out these measurement,

You have given 360 mm as the inner ring width of the hatch in the photo below ,

Lets transfer this to this picture,

This 360 mm measures exactly 8mm on the top view of the ARJUN diagram,

Now the total width of the turret on the hull front measures exactly 60 mm on scale,

So as per your pixel measurement 360 mm on the photo above should fit into the 8 mm inner crew hatch hole on the top view

That means as per your calculations each mm on the drawing should be scaled up to (360/8) =45 mm in real dimension.

Now if we apply the same scale to find out the width of the turret which measures 60 mm on hull front , then the hull width must be 45x60=2700 mm.

Dead wrong. The hull width is 3800 mm,

See that's why when you pull stuff from ass the only thing authentic about it is the stink, and nothing else.

Just add this to the huge parallax error you made by wrongly placing a scribbled red box called vision block in front of Tc's face(in reality it is well left side of the TC), it shows where you stand in 3d modelling and pixel measurements.

What is infront of the TC's head is big white display unit , not the scribbled red box.

Last edited:

STGN

But from top view you will see only the hull width of 3800mm because side skirts are also present in the picture.
Not totally sure I understand you here but in this top picture:

I already plotted the side measurement of the thin side skirts which are ~70mm thick. So the side skirt is ~1.84m of CL This gives a hull width of ~3.68m over the thin skirts.
STGN

Dejawolf

Lets see from whose ass you pulled out these measurement,

You have given 360 mm as the inner ring width of the hatch in the photo below ,
i put the measure in there to demonstrate that you couldn't fit 3.5*18cm in there, as you wrongly claimed.
the hatch hole is likely 45-50cm, with hatch width 55cm.

going by 55cm hatch, here's the measures:

this is difficult to measure, scaling the ruler wrong leads to errors up to 30-40cm
i adjusted so the hull would end up at ~3.85m total width and hatch hole 55cm

oh and fixed this:

This 550 mm measures exactly 8mm on the top view of the ARJUN diagram,

Now the total width of the hull measures exactly 555 mm on scale,

So as per your pixel measurement 550 mm on the photo above should fit into the 8 mm inner crew hatch hole on the top view

That means as per your calculations each mm on the drawing should be scaled up to (550/8) =68.75 mm in real dimension.

Now if we apply the same scale to find out the total width of the hull , then the hull width must be 68.75x555=381.56 mm.

from the same drawing the turret measures 4cm so the turret width must be 68.75x400 = 275mm.

a much better way to estimate turret width is to base estimates on total hull width.
then you should arrive at a turret width of ~2.8-2.85m

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Sums up pretty much here ..

I have not served in tank, I did maintenance on one.
I made a statement there not an claim :), See i dont work on computers but on real things..

Are you 100% sure you didn't make mistake in estimating the turret when you saw it? STGN
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are gifted :), I like those 3d art of yours..

i had to in order to make this:

and this:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
CLGM Testfired : Cannon-launched Laser Guided Missile (CLGM)

CLGM Testfired: The DRDO on Monday conducted tests of an advanced version of Cannon-launched Laser Guided Missile (CLGM) from the ITR here.Three rounds of the missile were test-fired from a specially built launcher at the launching complex-II of ITR. A defence official said the missile destroyed the targets as expected."The tests were conducted in between 3.30 pm and 4.30 pm during low tide period. There will be one more round of test on Tuesday," he said
DRDO readies for tests of Pinaka versions - The New Indian Express

rahulrds1

India test fires cannon launched laser-guided missile

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on Monday conducted the tests of an advanced version of Cannon-launched Laser Guided Missile (CLGM) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) off the Odisha coast.

Altogether three rounds of the missile were test-fired from a specially built launcher at the launching complex-II of Chandipur based test range. A defence official said the mission was successful as the missile perfectly destroyed the targets as expected.

"The tests were conducted in between 3.30 pm to 4.30 pm during low tide period. There will be one more round of test on Tuesday. All the data have been collected and would be evaluated after the completion of the mission," he said.

CLGM is a new generation anti-tank missile developed by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) at Bangalore. It can destroy any static/moving target in 3 km to 5 km range. It is an all terrain missile to be used by the army, navy and air force.

This missile has bigger warhead and little slower than original 105-mm Laser Homing Attack or Laser Homing Anti-Tank (LAHAT) from Israel. It would equip the Arjun MK-2 and MK-1 tanks.

"The CLGM uses a laser of a specific frequency bandwidth to locate the target. The laser creates a heat signature on the target. The missile recognizes it and homes in on it even if the target is moving," said a defense scientist.

The missile can also target other armoured targets and helicopters at extended ranges. The ADE has developed the missile with global positioning system technology.

source:[ Indian Express] India test fires cannon launched laser-guided missile

STGN

Sums up pretty much here ..

I made a statement there not an claim :), See i dont work on computers but on real things..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah it really does sum up this whole debate.. :)
There you go ersakthivel, that is why the 3.2m number is way off. Kunal Biswas just typed "3.2m" on a keyboard it was just a statement not meant to be taken in serious connection with anything. And that is alright because "3.2m" like "computers" are just figures of the imagination they are not real.
STGN

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
i put the measure in there to demonstrate that you couldn't fit 3.5*18cm in there, as you wrongly claimed.
the hatch hole is likely 45-50cm, with hatch width 55cm.

going by 55cm hatch, here's the measures:

this is difficult to measure, scaling the ruler wrong leads to errors up to 30-40cm
i adjusted so the hull would end up at ~3.85m total width and hatch hole 55cm

oh and fixed this:

This 550 mm measures exactly 8mm on the top view of the ARJUN diagram,

So you can stop using faulty pixel measurements which gives us the conclusion of 360 mm for the same 8mm length on drawing,
and you can also advice your other friends who have nothing but tons of likes for your faulty pixel measurements to pause and contemplate on their views on ARJUn turret design.

And learn something useful like perspective drawing and projection of planes to their appropriate position to compare with a known length.

So now you are accepting that inner crew hole gap measures 555 mm , which is what KUNAL posted on this forum before and contradicting your own claim that such a large crew hole is super luxury and crew hole measures less than 400 mm on ARJUN as per your faulty pixel measurements.
Now the total width of the hull measures exactly 555 mm on scale,

So as per your pixel measurement 550 mm on the photo above should fit into the 8 mm inner crew hatch hole on the top view

That means as per your calculations each mm on the drawing should be scaled up to (550/8) =68.75 mm in real dimension.

Now if we apply the same scale to find out the total width of the hull , then the hull width must be 68.75x555=381.56 mm.

from the same drawing the turret measures 4cm so the turret width must be 68.75x400 = 275mm.

Including the storage box turret measures 45 mm on scale.

If you have any doubt you can measure it on the above picture.
SO 45x68.75=3093 mm more or less equal to 3200 mm as per kunal's claim if we take into account inaccuracies.

So this picture has correct measurement
a much better way to estimate turret width is to base estimates on total hull width.
then you should arrive at a turret width of ~2.8-2.85m
Also thanks for accepting that all your pixel measurements are wrong.And my method is correct.

See, the first storage box is converted to armor block in the latest series production arjun mk-1 from 2008.
So the turret width is 3200 mm and the space available for turret side armor is close to 500 mm plus
Also considering the curvature on the turret inner wall after the TC's seat from the picture below,

It is quite evident that ARJUN turret design space of around 500 mm for composite armor placement all around, how much of it is utlized for that purpose is beyond scrutiny as there is no available evidence to find out.

Now what about the huge parallax error you made by wrongly placing a scribbled red box called vision block in front of Tc's face(in reality it is well left side of the TC), it shows where you stand in 3d modelling and pixel measurements.

What is in front of the TC's head is big white display unit , not the scribbled red box.

Last edited:

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag

Question is which soldier is the tallest?
STGN
So this is the first lesson to take before studying perspective drawing or production drawing perhaps,
Please shift this puzzle of yours to jokes thread as it will be a good entertainment there.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
@skj, @Damian, @STGN, @militarysta

Now what about the huge parallax error you made by wrongly placing a scribbled red box called vision block in front of Tc's face(in reality it is well left side of the TC), it shows where you stand in 3d modelling and pixel measurements.

What is in front of the TC's head is big white display unit , not the scribbled red box.

correctly locate the vision block without parallax and you will also clear your own doubts about the armor thickness behind the main sight.

Last edited by a moderator:

rahulrds1

CLGM (Cannon-launched Laser Guided Missile) would be similer to LAHAT missile.
Arjun MK-2 and MK-1 tanks will be equipped with CLGM.

CLGM would look like this,

Dejawolf

What is in front of the TC's head is big white display unit , not the scribbled red box
just this alone shows how inane your argumentation is, and how big of a forum troll you are.

on the rightmost part i took the liberty to remove a few of the cables, to improve visibility of the box. but even with cables, it's obviously the gunners fire control computer mark-I. it's used by the gunner to input range in emergency fire mode, along with other data such as windspeed, ammunition temperature, etc. the LCD displays the range data, and all the other values
the square area with the 4x4 buttons is the input numbers plate, where you type in numbers 1-9, along with other symbols.

as for the CDU, it's here:

Last edited:

Dejawolf

Also thanks for accepting that all your pixel measurements are wrong.And my method is correct.
lol. troll. picture time:

here's a picture of my screen. each of those little rectangles is a pixel.
as this image shows, there's 3-4 pixels per mm. so measuring with pixels should essentially be a minimum of 3-4 times more accurate than measuring with a ruler.
that is of course, if you're measuring on a 21 inch screen like i am. judging from your measure of 8mm of the hatches, i'm assuming you're on a 15 inch or 17 inch screen, which will make the measures far more inaccurate. but of course, i don't measure the pixels on the screen, i measure the pixels on the image, which is more accurate than measuring pixels on the screen.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Country flag
CLGM (Cannon-launched Laser Guided Missile) would be similer to LAHAT missile.
Arjun MK-2 and MK-1 tanks will be equipped with CLGM.

CLGM would look like this,

CLGM has heavy warhead and it work basically in same way as LAHAT do, that laser pointer on target tank is interesting.

Damian

CLGM has heavy warhead and it work basically in same way as LAHAT do, that laser pointer on target tank is interesting.
But it also means that such GLATGM is not trully top attack, you need to put a laser marker on top of target and fire missile from elevated position or at high ballistic trajectory. AFAIK the only GLATGM with real top attack capabilities designed for a tank was US XM1111 MRM-KE/CE.

Articles