AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
does AMCA have true EOTS instead of that IRST Bulb which degrades entire plane stealth?
On the debate of EOTS vs IRST on AMCA: The main complaint I see from many is that the conventional IRST design will cause a greater RCS return in comparison to a EOTS whose shape is tailored made to reflect as little radar return as possible. In short: "basically the EOTS design is stealthy whereas the conventional IRST design such as the OLS-30 on the Flanker fleet isn't."

Few years back, it was revealed that DRDO's IRDE was working on an EOTS for the AMCA, and if memory serves me right, they have achieved a good amount of progress and the sensor system was already tested on a test bed, and this was all revealed back in 2022. So a bit more than two years have already passed. In these two years, DRDO has definitely achieved a substantial amount of success in the sensor's development.

FNBqyABVUAM8dra (1).jpg
FNAOcMQUUAU3j4C (1).png
FNAOlhHVIAIE-5K (2).png

Let's take a look at the Su-57 right now. Here is the Su-57 with the 101KS-V IRST.

OLS-50M+IRST+MAKS2013+wiki.jpg
Su-57-DIRCM.jpg

The Su-57 is the only 5th generation aircraft among the F-22, F-35, and J-20 to use a conventional IRST, it is placed on the same exact spot on the Su-57 where the OLS-30 is fitted on the Su-30MKI. The IRST on the Su-57 has received extensive RCS treatment, the same can be expected on an IRST for the AMCA, of course this is assuming it will get one in the first place.

Looking at the current situation, the first flight of AMCA will be possible only after 2025/2026. And the AMCA will enter serial production and consequently be inducted into the IAF only beyond 2030, there are still many years to go. I am sure by 2030, DRDO's IRDE will manage to develop an EOTS similar in capabilities to the AAQ-40 EOTS on the F-35 and the the EOTS-89/86 on the J-20.

For now many of us, deep down inside with pessimism may be convinced that the AMCA will field a conventional IRST design, but even if it was done, the IRST of the AMCA won't reduce the stealth properties of the AMCA to the point that it will effect it's mission profile where stealth will be a priority because: An IRST if fielded on the AMCA will receive extensive RCS treatment to mitigate RCS return, be it applying of advanced RAM, or designing the interior components within the IRST's sphere to reflect radar waves away from the source.

But it's more likely that an EOTS will be fielded, why? Because the first AMCA will enter service only beyond 2030, DRDO's IRDE has already achieved substantial progress on the development of an indigenous EOTS, I am sure that by 2030, or even before that, the EOTS will be fully ready for the AMCA. Just think about it. Besides you never know how DRDO, IAF, HAL, ADA and everyone else might surprise us the last minute.

So I just want to advise the folks on this thread, just relax, Chill, and think positive, being pessimistic all the time ain't gonna do any good. Take a break for a few minutes, refresh yourself and come back to the thread.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles