EU could end China arms embargo early 2011

cir

european military technology? lol....the europeans might as well do it fast, for otherwise there won't a customer that is China when the current "five-plan" ends in 2015. oh yes, we might still need some inputs for engines, but the rest....well ...european avionics are definitely passe...lol!

SHASH2K2

european military technology? lol....the europeans might as well do it fast, for otherwise there won't a customer that is China when the current "five-plan" ends in 2015. oh yes, we might still need some inputs for engines, but the rest....well ...european avionics are definitely passe...lol!
Well SIR\CIR you are absolutely correct china will beat entire World hands down. I am very much impressed by Chinese technology . Any Idea about what prnciple chinese RADARs work on ? As per Mr BG they all work on AESA principle instead of Doppler principle. I am really impressed about how you people discovered something new. ALso if you can tell us if in your AESA radar you people are usinf GAS or GAN modules? USA is working on 3rd generation of AESA and world is working on 2nd generation of AESA while china is working on 1st generation of AESA and you are having wet dreams of beating shit out of Europe? Also a plane needs avionics to perform which you guys need to work on .

SHASH2K2

China is a US Bond junkie, it will continue to buy US debt. 70% of China's assets are dollar-denominated.

Devaluation of the US dollar will hurt China by depreciating the value of its US bonds and the assets it holds, not to mention the impact it will have on its own exports.And when you consider that 57% of US debt is privately held it is unimaginable the amount of damage China will cause to itself and the global economy by dumping US bonds.

As for the Europeans selling military technology to China, this effort is being spearheaded by the French.With the short term objective of making some money for its ailing defense industries. It may prove counter productive in the long run, once China has absorbed European knowhow What prevents China from consuming European market share with its own arms the same arms the Europeans helped improve? Unless, the Europeans expect to sell complete solutions with no ToT or licensed production - I doubt China is interested in complete solutions.

thats the reason sometimes I dont trust French . they have a long history of dealing with both sides. I dont know if its a pressure tactics from french for India to go for Rafale ?

luke

I have heared this idea many times,but it never happened.I don't care about it,sometimes I think it's better to China because we have to research the weapons by ourselves.

icecoolben

thats the reason sometimes I dont trust French . they have a long history of dealing with both sides. I dont know if its a pressure tactics from french for India to go for Rafale ?
The french will sell rafale if India pays, sells mistrals if Russia pays, Agosta for pakistan, the list goes long. I am not surprised when I find french military platforms in china under a civilian stamp. Thats simply good business.

Results in Brief

http://www.softwar.net/gao176.html

The Eu embargo is based on a 1989 political declaration that Eu
members will embargo the "trade in arms" with China. Each EU
member may interpret and implement the embargo's scope for
itself. We found no cases of EU members entering into new
agreements to sell China lethal military items after 1989,
although some members delivered lethal and nonlethal military
items to China during the 1990s--apparently in connection with
preembargo agreements--and have more recently agreed to deliver
additional nonlethal military items. According to experts, the
embargo is not legally binding and any EU member could legally
resume arms sales to China if it were willing to bear the
political consequences of doing so.
At least two EU members are
now considering whether the embargo should continue.

EU and other European officials told us that the European Union
has left the interpretation and enforcement of the declaration
to its individual member states4 and that the members have
interpreted the embargo's scope in different ways. Officials in
some EU nations informed us that their nations have embargoed
the sale of virtually all military items to China. In contrast,
the United Kingdom's interpretation of the EU embargo does not
bar exports of nonlethal military items, such as avionics and
radars. The UK embargo is limited to lethal weapons (such as
bombs and torpedoes), specially designed components of lethal
weapons, ammunition, military aircraft and helicopters,
warships, and equipment likely to be used for internal
repression.
European and EU officials told us that EU members
tried during the early 1990s to develop a detailed Eu-wide
interpretation of the embargo's scope. These attempts apparently
fell short and resulted only in the members' mutual recognition
that they were not selling China lethal weapons.

wo EU member states delivered lethal weapons to China after the
embargo, according to publicly available sources of information.
These deliveries--French Crotale ship-to-air missiles and
Italian Aspide air-to-air missiles--appear to have been made in
connection with preembargo agreements. Similarly,
French-licensed Chinese helicopter production, which continued
into the 1990s, began prior to 1989. Also, the United Kingdom
honored a preembargo agreement by providing China with radars,
displays, and other avionics for its F-TM fighter aircraft.

During the 1990s, Italy and the United Kingdom agreed to sell
nonlethal military items to China. Italy agreed to sell fire
control radars for use on Chinese F-TM and F-TMP export
fighters. The United Kingdom agreed to sell China the
Searchwater airborne early warning radar system. UK officials
informed us that the decision to do so is consistent with the UK
interpretation of the Eu embargo, in that the Searchwater is not
a lethal weapon or a weapons platform.

Figure 1: Deliveries of Foreign Military Items to China, 1990-96

Russia/Soviet Union 71.8%
Middle East 17.0%
U.S. commercial 5.8%
Western Europe 2.3%
U.S. government 0.7%
Other 2.5%

Total value: $5.3 billion (current-year dollars).
U really can't blame them, what china wants is mature technology for weapons platforms. Either the USA or EU will move together like supplying avionics, transport aircraft fixed and rotary wing or china could try to steal data with its cyber army and try to replicate into its platforms. So they stand to lose business in the short term if they refrain anyway.

Last edited:
Country flag
This maybe a little too late?? The gap between china and the rest of the world has diminished and the Chinese members view this as a ploy to stunt further development??

neoshangh

This maybe a little too late?? The gap between china and the rest of the world has diminished and the Chinese members view this as a ploy to stunt further development??
No,China still has a longway to go and can learn a lot from the EU.But the decision of ending arms embargo is hard to say.The gap between Eu and China is still huge.Some Chinese believe that China don't need EU tec now,that idea is navie.We still have a long long way to go.

chengdusudise

we should learn everything we can from others , thus , this news is good for us .i m sure we can learn a lot from EU.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think it's better to China because we have to research the weapons by ourselves.
Luke,

Other Chinese posters have a different view or so it appears.

What is the actuals?

neoshangh

Luke,

Other Chinese posters have a different view or so it appears.

What is the actuals?
No,you mistook my post.We do really need EU's tec,but we should have our own ones too.

We can study them,but not dependent on them..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes that is the point.

Studying others' equipment and making the replicas even better.

After all, as you would probably agree, one does not buy and waste money to study junk!

longwolf

I agree with you, if China buy one, they could produce one hundred after two years, and sell them to Africa, Pakistan, et al. This is the real reason that many conturies, include Russia, EU, would't like to sell weapons to China.

neoshangh

yes, you get some points.

Just like Japan did in 1950s,buying the tecs and patents,study them,absorb them,then make our owns ones based on them(or you call them repulics).At last,we produce our own ones according to tecnology accumulation and innovation.

chex3009

Country flag
EU to Keep China Arms Embargo Despite Massive Investments

Catherine Ashton has failed to persuade the UK and other Beijing-critical member states to lift the EU arms embargo on China. But China is continuing to build influence in the Union with bond purchases from vulnerable countries.

"There remains a broad consensus within the EU that the time is not right to lift the arms embargo. We need to see clear progress on the issues that necessitated the embargo in the first place, namely on civil liberties and political rights," a British diplomat told EUobserver on Tuesday (4 January) in response to speculation on a potential shift in EU policy, which would require a consensus of all 27 EU members.

A diplomat from a former Communist EU country added: "There is simply no talk of it in the run-up to the EU foreign ministers' meeting [on 31 January]. After the Nobel Peace Prize and China's reaction to that, it is politically unimaginable to make any move for the time being."

Leaving aside the moral dimension, any change on the embargo could also harm EU-US relations.

Asked by EUobserver on Tuesday if the US is reconsidering its position on China arms sales, the State Department pointed to comments made by a senior US diplomat, John Hillen, in 2005 as still being relevant. Mr Hillen at the time said that lifting the embargo would "raise a major obstacle to future US defence co-operation with Europe."

The EU imposed the ban in 1989 in response to China's killings of thousands of dissidents during protests in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.

France and Spain have recently argued that the arms ban is out of date due to China's economic metamorphosis and de facto changes in EU-China trade relations. The EU's foreign relations chief, British politician Catherine Ashton, aligned herself with anti-embargo countries in a strategy paper on China delivered to EU leaders in December. The paper said the embargo is "a major impediment" for better relations and that the Union should elaborate "a way forward."

http://geneva-globaldefence.blogspot.com/2011/01/eu-to-keep-china-arms-embargo-despite.html#more

luke

Lol,they have their ideaS and I have mine,that's all.I hope we can improve our technology level.If we can buy the weapons easily,then we will become lazy and don't want to research them .After all, research is difficult and risky .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles