The Syrian Crisis

Akim

Professional
Country flag
If the Houthis' recent string of successes is anything to go by, modern weapons won't make a big difference.

I do agree that one should not underestimate the opponent.
It will not clash with the partisan detachment, but two regular armies.

myana

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20160214/1034736971/syria-saudis-intervention.html

Saudi warplanes, currently deployed at Turkey’s Incirlik airbase, are ready to bomb Raqqa and its environs with a senior Defense Ministry official saying that Riyadh planned to “destroy Islamic State forces in and around Raqqa” as part of the US-led coalition’s intention to step up its airstrikes against the terrorist group.
In the meantime, US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said that Washington was not considering any major Arab deployments to Syria, adding that the coalition was only studying the possibility of sending commando units to help the local opposition militias retake the de facto Daesh capital Raqqa in the north.

AnantS

Country flag
World war will not. Regional war -is likely.
Akim: Answer without emotions for a moment. I imagine you must have seen cold war period. How does it feel this time to be on the "other side" fighting alongside erstwhile enemy against your own erstwhile comrades? What is the general feelings among ethnic Russians in west Ukraine? Don't they believe that by inviting NATO to Ukraine, they betrayed their erstwhile comrades? Or the hate for Soviet System fuels their aggression towards Russia?

Thanks

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Akim: Answer without emotions for a moment. I imagine you must have seen cold war period. How does it feel this time to be on the "other side" fighting alongside erstwhile enemy against your own erstwhile comrades? What is the general feelings among ethnic Russians in west Ukraine? Don't they believe that by inviting NATO to Ukraine, they betrayed their erstwhile comrades? Or the hate for Soviet System fuels their aggression towards Russia?

Thanks
To begin with. Western Ukraine never loved the Soviet Union because it, like the Baltic States, was forcibly annexed. The concept of: friend/enemy - conditional. In 1944 no one could have imagined that Germany and Japan are U.S. allies, but the USSR was the enemy.

pmaitra

It will not clash with the partisan detachment, but two regular armies.
One wonders why. Saudi Arabia has lost quite some territory to the Houthis. I don't see why they would not defend their own country but send troops elsewhere.

pmaitra

To begin with. Western Ukraine never loved the Soviet Union because it, like the Baltic States, was forcibly annexed. The concept of: friend/enemy - conditional. In 1944 no one could have imagined that Germany and Japan are U.S. allies, but the USSR was the enemy.
Not western Ukraine. Only Lvov and the surrounding Galician countryside.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
One wonders why. Saudi Arabia has lost quite some territory to the Houthis. I don't see why they would not defend their own country but send troops elsewhere.
Maybe I missed it.When?

AnantS

Country flag
so ethnic russians in west ukraine dont have blood relatives in Russia? So I dont they feel like integrate back with their blood relatives? Esp when Soviet system I believe really made mishmash of ethnic demographics in all its constituent states?(I am asking question from eastern Indian subcontinent point of view where blood lines often are placed above nation boundaries)

Akim

Professional
Country flag
so ethnic russians in west ukraine dont have blood relatives in Russia? So I dont they feel like integrate back with their blood relatives? Esp when Soviet system I believe really made mishmash of ethnic demographics in all its constituent states?(I am asking question from eastern Indian subcontinent point of view where blood lines often are placed above nation boundaries)
If my brother raped my wife - I'll kill him. Here similar principle.

pmaitra

Maybe I missed it.When?
We have a thread on the Yemen crisis. The Houthis has overrun quite a few Saudi military posts and destroyed many Saudi vehicles, including armoured vehicles.

AnantS

Country flag
If my brother raped my wife - I'll kill him. Here similar principle.
OT: So I take it in your case geopolitics rank higher than bloodlines. Ofcourse what you state wont be the case with each every Russian family living in West Ukraine. Maybe that's the outcome of soviet system, where one was taught to be more loyal to state than even your own parents

Akim

Professional
Country flag
We have a thread on the Yemen crisis. The Houthis has overrun quite a few Saudi military posts and destroyed many Saudi vehicles, including armoured vehicles.
You can't know the full picture. If decide to send ground troops in Syria - so think that this task is more important.

pmaitra

You can't know the full picture. If decide to send ground troops in Syria - so think that this task is more important.
We'll have to see. I think there is a possibility that Saudi F-16s might get engaged if they enter Syria.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
OT: So I take it in your case geopolitics rank higher than bloodlines. Ofcourse what you state wont be the case with each every Russian family living in West Ukraine. Maybe that's the outcome of soviet system, where one was taught to be more loyal to state than even your own parents
Blood ties can not speculate. This reason does not allow the relatives to come to your house and give a shit in the middle of the room.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles