Would US Lease Naval Base to India in Guam??

lookieloo

Putting it bluntly, the IN faces some major geographical challenges in dealing with the Chinese threat; namely, the confined waters through which it must pass to access the Pacific (unless it takes an impractically long route). With the US-DoD being hard-up for cash over the next decade or so, perhaps we should see if India is interested in leasing some space or facilities on Guam. Obama's "Pacific-Pivot" is fine by me; but we need to unload some of our security burden vs China on others if we intend to last them out over the long-haul. Giving India a piece of this process would be a good place to start.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Putting it bluntly, the IN faces some major geographical challenges in dealing with the Chinese threat; namely, the confined waters through which it must pass to access the Pacific (unless it takes an impractically long route). With the US-DoD being hard-up for cash over the next decade or so, perhaps we should see if India is interested in leasing some space or facilities on Guam. Obama's "Pacific-Pivot" is fine by me; but we need to unload some of our security burden vs China on others if we intend to last them out over the long-haul. Giving India a piece of this process would be a good place to start.
This might not be a very thoughtful response, but should India bring its aircraft carriers on-line before before looking for such a base?

lookieloo

This might not be a very thoughtful response, but should India bring its aircraft carriers on-line before before looking for such a base?
Carriers aren't necessarily the primary beneficiary of such an arrangement. Guam would also be useful as a forward base for submarines and airborne ASW/maritime-surveillance assets.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Guam's infrastructure is already over-taxed by the Marine buildup and brought anti-colonial sentiment. The Chamorro would never accept an Indian colony on island. The best choice for India would be asking Vietnam or the Philippines for a station around the Spratly chain and offer a defence pact. Let us cut to the chase and admit GoI is not in any mindset to make such an offer much less procure the weapons necessary to contribute such defence.

Country flag
This is a very interesting idea which offers advantages for both sides. There are a few obstacles
One is the political formalities pacts,alliances
How long would the lease be for?
What indian assets would be placed there? Subs,carriers,warships,warplanes?
What would be the reaction in neighboring countries?
Would indian govt have the political will to make such a bold move?
What would india gain from being far away in guam? A base in japan or phillipines maybe more practical?
India is still a few years away from true blue water capability?

A more practical idea maybe to let indian navy operate under the UN
Flag ?

lookieloo

... The best choice for India would be asking Vietnam or the Philippines for a station around the Spratly chain and offer a defence pact...
Both those options limit India to the relatively confined waters of the South China Sea. Guam offers some standoff distance from Chinese airbases and access to open water.

As for the Chamorro, most of them live in the US-proper, so......

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
IMHO current IN strength does not allow power projection so far away. Maybe in a couple of decades we can discuss India and Guam. Currently I guess India would be happy with a couple of berthing spaces in Diego Garcia, if offered.

lookieloo

Currently I guess India would be happy with a couple of berthing spaces in Diego Garcia, if offered.
The thought had crossed my mind, but I couldn't see what India would need with another base in the Indian Ocean. Of course, if that's what y'all want... who knows?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
As a direct counter to the Hambantota pearl in the Chinese string of pearls.

The thought had crossed my mind, but I couldn't see what India would need with another base in the Indian Ocean. Of course, if that's what y'all want... who knows?

lookieloo

As a direct counter to the Hambantota pearl in the Chinese string of pearls.
I see; but if you really want to reciprocate, I would suggest talking to Taiwan. They're currently looking for some hardware and everyone else is too chicken to help; Indian weapons might be just the ticket.

drkrn

indian alone wont be operating there right?

drkrn

This is a very interesting idea which offers advantages for both sides. There are a few obstacles
One is the political formalities pacts,alliances
How long would the lease be for?
What indian assets would be placed there? Subs,carriers,warships,warplanes?
What would be the reaction in neighboring countries?
Would indian govt have the political will to make such a bold move?
What would india gain from being far away in guam? A base in japan or phillipines maybe more practical?
India is still a few years away from true blue water capability?

A more practical idea maybe to let indian navy operate under the UN
Flag ?
imo india should make a pact with usa to have a military tie up wrt to guam base.we can train and learn with each other.it gives an immense oppurunity to indians to have a look at world's best navy and we can have a step wise deterrence to china naval presence in the region
@W.G.Ewald

Last edited by a moderator:

happy

Before we even think about it, I would like to ask, do we really NEED a base in far away Guam ??? Do we need a presence in the Pacific Ocean at present???

IMO in the current security scenario, I think Guam is way off target and would become a white elephant if at all base is established.

As the other members suggested, Taiwan, Diego Garcia, Vietnam and philippines are more strategic.

kseeker

Retired
We should concentrate on setting up bases in Afghanistan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan just like Farkhor Air Base in Tajikistan.

There's no rationale behind setting up bases in Guam, let US enjoy over there.

Vietnam is the very good and feasible option ! I don't think Taiwanese or Filipinos will allow Indians to setup bases.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Both those options limit India to the relatively confined waters of the South China Sea. Guam offers some standoff distance from Chinese airbases and access to open water.
Guam is too shallow to port capital ships, it is a submarine base. It is too distant for air support. It is worthless to India. SCS is within striking distance of China, you don't position your forces where they can't get to the enemy. It is also the place that needs defending to stop Chinese aggression with plenty of lucrative contracts for India and political clout to gain.

As for the Chamorro, most of them live in the US-proper, so......

The Chamorro families control the politics of Guam so piss them off and their referendum will kick your butt off the island. Then you will find plenty of fuques to give. :laugh:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I'm gonna focus on the stupidest thing you just said...
I'm gonna focus on your only comment which is stupid in and of itself...

]In its draft EIS issued in November, the Navy chose as its preferred site for a carrier berth at Polaris Point, in Apra Harbor. The site would require some extensive dredging of sand and coral to accommodate the 1,325-foot wharf, designed for the larger Nimitz-class carriers, a "turning basin" in the harbor and a widened ship channel....would require the dredging of about 1 million cubic yards in Apra's inner and outer harbor... The Environmental Protection Agency, in Feb. 17 comments on the draft EIS, called "unacceptable" the potential impact on 71 acres of "high quality" coral reef ecosystem.

Sites for Guam carrier wharf reconsidered | Navy Times | navytimes.com
Not only would it require dredging 1 million cubic metres, the coral lovers at EPA scrapped it. Guam will never base capital ships. :taunt:

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20121231/NEWS/212310320/Corps-Guam-buildup-wharf-project-de-linked

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles