Would India lease a naval base to USA in the Indian Ocean??

drkrn

India's INS Baaz, Australia's Christmas Islands and HMAS Coonawarra, and now if USA sets up Cocos/Keeling Islands, China would indeed be cornered.

Together these 4 bases can deny China any access to Indian Ocean, if required.
thats why they are making string of pearls.of course they cant match usn

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Is it even applied on you ?

Britain deported them to Mauritius and leased all the islands to the U.S. until 2016, permitting it to construct a massive naval base on Diego Garcia.
Diego Garcia, a Mauritanian Island, Is Crucial Real Estate for U.K. and U.S. - The Daily Beast
How does your post in any way refute the facts I just pointed out?

Can you cite anyone else except known plagiarists?

The Daily Beast is an American news reporting and opinion website founded and formerly published by Tina Brown, former editor of Vanity Fair and The New Yorker as well as the short-lived Talk Magazine.
The Daily Beast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
How does your post in any way refute the facts I just pointed out?

Can you cite anyone else except known plagiarists?

Mauritius sold the atoll for £3.000.000. In 2036 maybe they can offer to buy it back.

Any source to this claim ?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Mauritius sold the atoll for £3.000.000. In 2036 maybe they can offer to buy it back.

Any source to this claim ?
I can't be bothered to argue with you, and your argument does not even address the question posed in the title of this thread.

Clearly, you are just seeking attention.

Why don't you just run along and amuse yourself here:

Find Out Everything About Diego Garcia Atoll, Indian Ocean!

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I can't be bothered to argue with you, and your argument does not even address the question posed in the title of this thread.

Clearly, you are just seeking attention.

Why don't you just run along and amuse yourself here:

Find Out Everything About Diego Garcia Atoll, Indian Ocean!
I am not arguing with you , have asked you a simple source to your claim .

Mauritius sold the atoll for £3.000.000. In 2036 maybe they can offer to buy it back... still waiting

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I am not arguing with you , have asked you a simple source to your claim .

Mauritius sold the atoll for £3.000.000. In 2036 maybe they can offer to buy it back... still waiting
Wait away, you tedious twit.

It's a matter of record. Do your own research; start here.

D. R. Stoddart (1971): "Settlement and development of Diego Garcia". In: Stoddart & Taylor (1971)

Sand, Peter H. (2009). United States and Britain in Diego Garcia – the Future of a Controversial Base. New York: Palgrave MacMillon. ISBN 978-0-230-61709-4.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Wait away, you tedious twit.

It's a matter of record. Do your own research; start here.

D. R. Stoddart (1971): "Settlement and development of Diego Garcia". In: Stoddart & Taylor (1971)

Sand, Peter H. (2009). United States and Britain in Diego Garcia – the Future of a Controversial Base. New York: Palgrave MacMillon. ISBN 978-0-230-61709-4.
Strange attitude ... :laugh:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Strange attitude ... :laugh:
I have provided facts and sources to support those facts. You have failed to refute the facts or produce anything more than your erroneous opinion and a silly emoticon.

Who is the strange one?

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
I have provided facts and sources to support those facts. You have failed to refute the facts or produce anything more than your erroneous opinion and a silly emoticon.

Who is the strange one?

You are strange

You said this

and it was something new for me and that's why i asked source . But you started to over react and started with strange tone ..

W.G.Ewald

Professional
You said this

and it was something new for me and that's why i asked source .
I gave you 2 sources.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
No, it would be a violation of Indian sovereignty and a big indicator India is not going to be a major power. That is what countries do that cannot handle their own business.
I beg to disagree , nations throughout history have allowed allied militaries to utilize their facilities when faced with a common objective.This arrangement may be continued for as long as both nations deem it fit.
In fact even France hosted no less than 11 major American airbases in the period between 1950-67, these were
Bordeaux-Mérignac Air Base
Chambley-Bussières Air Base
Châteauroux-Déols Air Base
Chaumont-Semoutiers Air Base
Dreux-Louvilliers Air Base
Étain-Rouvres Air Base
Évreux-Fauville Air Base
Laon-Couvron Air Base
Paris-Orly Air Base
Phalsbourg-Bourscheid Air Base
Toul-Rosières Air Base

None of these meant that France had in any way capitulated to the Americans as senior or more powerful than them , it was simply a way of ensuring additional security until the french air force was strong enough to take on the soviets under it's own steam.
India is still growing towards becoming a world power and we share extensive interests with the yanks in preventing the PLAN from having a free run of the IOR and preventing piracy and ship borne weapons smuggling etc.
i believe we can an should host a small american flotilla at the mouth of the Malacca's just to irritate the Chinese for the time being

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I beg to disagree , nations throughout history have allowed allied militaries to utilize their facilities when faced with a common objective.This arrangement may be continued for as long as both nations deem it fit.
In fact even France hosted no less than 11 major American airbases in the period between 1950-67, these were
Bordeaux-Mérignac Air Base
Chambley-Bussières Air Base
Châteauroux-Déols Air Base
Chaumont-Semoutiers Air Base
Dreux-Louvilliers Air Base
Étain-Rouvres Air Base
Évreux-Fauville Air Base
Laon-Couvron Air Base
Paris-Orly Air Base
Phalsbourg-Bourscheid Air Base
Toul-Rosières Air Base

None of these meant that France had in any way capitulated to the Americans as senior or more powerful than them , it was simply a way of ensuring additional security until the french air force was strong enough to take on the soviets under it's own steam.
India is still growing towards becoming a world power and we share extensive interests with the yanks in preventing the PLAN from having a free run of the IOR and preventing piracy and ship borne weapons smuggling etc.
i believe we can an should host a small american flotilla at the mouth of the Malacca's just to irritate the Chinese for the time being
I beg to differ, you are citing a post-war devastated France. It wasn't until we decided to re-claim our sovereignty by kicking out NATO bases and developing hydrogen weapons that we became a world power once again.

Hosting foreign bases meant we couldn't defend ourselves much less project our power to all corners of the world. Look at what happened to the Empire under American occupation... it dissolved. Bowing to America is the equivalent of neutering yourself.

kseeker

Retired
Look at what happened to the Empire under American occupation... it dissolved. Bowing to America is the equivalent of neutering yourself.
+1, I agree. Friendship is OK but butt licking, strictly No-No !

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I beg to differ, you are citing a post-war devastated France. It wasn't until we decided to re-claim our sovereignty by kicking out NATO bases and developing hydrogen weapons that we became a world power once again.

Hosting foreign bases meant we couldn't defend ourselves much less project our power to all corners of the world. Look at what happened to the Empire under American occupation... it dissolved. Bowing to America is the equivalent of neutering yourself.
Okie this post is gonna get me quite a few brickbats, but here goes nothing!:p
i do not believe it is time for us yet to start projecting power to all corners of the world, not when our air force is at least 10 squadrons short of it's recommended strength and our military production and infrastructure need a lot more work, so this is not about power projection at all.
Also i am not advocating pawning our sovereignty or independence in any manner, what i am suggesting however is that i believe we should be able to offer the united states a small resupply berth or two inside an Indian Naval base in a far flung Indian ocean island under a strict fixed term lease for 5-7 years without compromising on our independence or becoming a lackey of the united states in any manner.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Okie this post is gonna get me quite a few brickbats, but here goes nothing!:p
i do not believe it is time for us yet to start projecting power to all corners of the world, not when our air force is at least 10 squadrons short of it's recommended strength and our military production and infrastructure need a lot more work, so this is not about power projection at all.
Also i am not advocating pawning our sovereignty or independence in any manner, what i am suggesting however is that i believe we should be able to offer the united states a small resupply berth or two inside an Indian Naval base in a far flung Indian ocean island under a strict fixed term lease for 5-7 years without compromising on our independence or becoming a lackey of the united states in any manner.
I don't think the Americans want some far flung island base with no infrastructure. They need ports that can deal with Super Carriers. That puts them in the middle of a major port city. That makes you an ally which will feed into weapons procurement, training and politics. Lobbyists and bribes will rain down a plenty as US defence contractors try to take over. GoI will become even more apathetic to defence as they see big brother protecting them and lower defence spending to move more money to social spending. If some regional confrontation breaks out, the US, which will be paying aid and base rights will have influence over your foreign policy. Tell me now if you don't see the dangers of letting the US into the fold.

mikhail

Country flag
I don't think the Americans want some far flung island base with no infrastructure. They need ports that can deal with Super Carriers. That puts them in the middle of a major port city. That makes you an ally which will feed into weapons procurement, training and politics. Lobbyists and bribes will rain down a plenty as US defence contractors try to take over. GoI will become even more apathetic to defence as they see big brother protecting them and lower defence spending to move more money to social spending. If some regional confrontation breaks out, the US, which will be paying aid and base rights will have influence over your foreign policy. Tell me now if you don't see the dangers of letting the US into the fold.
i totally agree with you in this matter.we should never ever enter into any sort of alliance whether it's with the U.S. or be it with our old,trusted friend Russia.we should always stand there alone because in this way we can ensure that our country's sovereignty remains intact.plus we are one of the few countries in this world which have got an independent foreign policy and i am quite sure that the GoI won't jeopardize it under any circumstance.
India has a better chance to survive against Chinese imperialism if it continues to stand alone.....:rolleyes:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I agree the above has an inordinately high probability of taking place provided we give them access to a major port, and i also agree with you that they would like nothing better than to have a super-carrier battle group safely based out of India.As far as lobbyists and bribes are concerned i have seen enough arms agents crowding defense shows and seminar venues in their range rovers( strangely they all seem to prefer black)to think that bribes and favors are already not ingrained into the system.

but i disagree with you on the point that they would not have any utility for a small island base.i on the contrary think that they would want a base sitting astride the mallacas, one simple listening station there could feed them data on PLAN movements into the IOR(aka the Chinese listening stations in the cocos listening in on us) , not to mention give them a toehold on the world's premier sea passage between the middle east and east Asia.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles